PDA

View Full Version : Stress Cracks

Sea Esta
08-13-2002, 05:11 AM
I have been experiencing quite a few stress cracks this year on the boat. Last year, at the end of the season, the boat went in because the deck had serious stress cracks. It went back to the factory and come to find out they left a liner out between the deck and stringers. This year the hull is cracking. It actually had a chunk of gel come out. The factory is aware of the problem and is having the boat brought back to the factory as soon as we are done for the season. LOTO is rough but I shouldnÂ’t have to baby the boat to keep it from cracking.
Just looking for some opinions, we like the boat but the factory isnÂ’t going to continue to fix it every year. We still have 3 years left on the hull warranty and were wondering if we should start to look for something different. We have already booked our room and flight for the Miami boat show. Who knows, maybe weÂ’ll find something different down there.

superV
08-13-2002, 07:37 AM
What kind of boat is it?

Sea Esta
08-13-2002, 08:53 AM
It's a 2001 Hurricane GS232 deck boat.

Thunderbutt
08-14-2002, 03:18 PM
Sea Esta:
It's a 2001 Hurricane GS232 deck boat.I have a 30 year old Spectra that I just had some cracks fixed, these cracks were only in the gel coat not in the glass. They grind the crack down to the glass and patch and repaint or regel-coat To me stress cracks are structurial. How deep are the cracks?

Lotoparty
08-14-2002, 04:52 PM
It went back to the factory and come to find out they left a liner out between the deck and stringers. This year the hull is cracking. It actually had a chunk of gel come out. man i dont know?ide be tempted to make them buy the boat back from you less some cost for using it.they screwed up and you shouldnt have to pay for their mistake.think about it this way.picture yourself trying to sell it to someone.if they dont/cant repair it right you may have a hell of a time selling it.
just my 2 cents.
disclaimer-i dont know chit about repairing fiberglass.

Sea Esta
08-14-2002, 06:39 PM
The gel is cracked bad. Actually to the point where a portion showed glass. Dealer has fixed temporarily. We had a 18' glasstron and it had 2 cracks in 5 years. This boat, bottom side of the hull, has cracks every 3/4" for 3/4 feet along the ribs and cracks running parallel between the ribs. Like I said, the factory is aware of the problem and wants the boat back as soon as we are done for the season. I just don't know what to do when we get the boat back....Trade in???? The lake is rough but this is a bit extreme I think. Thunderbutt, I'm at the 10MM, on the Niangua, down by Bridal Cave. If your around this weekend I can stop by and show you the boat.

Bolted
08-14-2002, 08:05 PM
Sea Esta
I agree with Thunderbutt,these cracks are structural. Stress cracks running longitudinal between the lifting strakes every 3/4 inch and about 3 to 4 feet is not good. This bottom has been severely stressed. I will say that this hull will never be like new again. I would ask the manufacturer how they plan on repairing the hull running surface. Routing out the cracks and filling them is not a proper repair, is only a cosmetic repair for structural failure. A Bandaid! Putting the liner in as a retro-fit will help in stopping the movement, which was the culprit for the cracks, but will not help in a now bigger issue. Osmosis! The hull is now much more vulnerable to blisters. My guess is the manufacture will repair the cracks with fiberglass and then do a spray repair. Now you have a hull bottom with thick gel coat. Which lends itself to additional cracking. Most gel coat companies have a gel specification of 20 to 25 mils thick for a reason. Thick gel coat cracks. If this boat is under warranty, then I would push for a boat replacement. For your own good or who ever ends up with this vessel, make them do the right thing. You could also get a Naval architect that deals in glass boat design give you a inspection. I would make the boat builder pick up the tab on this also.

Thunderbutt
08-15-2002, 07:22 PM
Sea Esta:
The gel is cracked bad. Actually to the point where a portion showed glass. Dealer has fixed temporarily. We had a 18' glasstron and it had 2 cracks in 5 years. This boat, bottom side of the hull, has cracks every 3/4" for 3/4 feet along the ribs and cracks running parallel between the ribs. Like I said, the factory is aware of the problem and wants the boat back as soon as we are done for the season. I just don't know what to do when we get the boat back....Trade in???? The lake is rough but this is a bit extreme I think. Thunderbutt, I'm at the 10MM, on the Niangua, down by Bridal Cave. If your around this weekend I can stop by and show you the boat.

Thunderbutt
08-15-2002, 07:32 PM
Sea Esta, I live here full time, I'm in Beauty cove at the 2-mile marker of the Big Niangua. Fifth house from the end on the left side coming in, Beauty cove is the frist large cove after you pass the bridge.
Sea Esta:

Hallett19
08-15-2002, 09:45 PM
I just found out I have a crack in the bottom of my hull, to the point where it takes on water :( I am having it repaired and the guy who looked at it said the other side has some hairline fractures, is this normal or what ? it sucks if you ask me, and from the people I have talked to, they say these boats are ****ing bomb-proof... yeah right.. the last thing I expected on the bottom of my boat was cracks big enough to take on water!!

Sea Esta
08-16-2002, 03:06 AM
Thunderbutt, I'll stop by sometime this weekend and share a cold one with you. You can look and check the boat and form an opinion.
Hallett19, My severe crack was above the water line, but as you ran the boat it would take on water. The bilge pump came on and that is how I knew. After that I turned on the bilge every half hour or so. I have a temporary patch till fall, when the boat goes back to the factory. It does suck, spend all this money and have these things happen.

Sea Esta
08-16-2002, 03:09 AM
Thunderbutt, Would that be 2nd cove on the right as we are heading towards the Osage?

Thunderbutt
08-16-2002, 03:41 PM
Sea Esta:
Thunderbutt, Would that be 2nd cove on the right as we are heading towards the Osage?Yes, There is a brown brick house on the point.

Sea Esta
08-18-2002, 04:01 PM
Thunderbutt,
Didn't make it thinking it thinking it would rain. Of course it turned out to be a nice day this afternoon after all. I'll try and swing by before the shootout. WHat time will you be leaving?

Thunderbutt
08-19-2002, 02:17 PM
Sea Esta:
Thunderbutt,
Didn't make it thinking it thinking it would rain. Of course it turned out to be a nice day this afternoon after all. I'll try and swing by before the shootout. WHat time will you be leaving?We go about 1:00. In case you miss us, I wont be taking the V- Drive, Will be in the pondtoon boat, name ( Big R )24 foot Landau. See ya.
Jim Slevin

MJS
08-19-2002, 04:09 PM
HEY SEA ESTA
MAN I`ED THINK AGAIN BEFORE I`ED GO MESSIN AROUND WITH PUTTING ANY PATCHES ON IT. THE NEXT TIME YOU TAKE IT BACK, THEY WILL PROBALY SAY ITS YOUR FAULT, YOU CAUSE IT BY NOT USING THE RIGHT RESIN OR SOMETHING
MY-2
JUST DOLLARS NO SENSE

Sea Esta
08-19-2002, 05:29 PM
MJS, The factory had it done locally so I could use the boat the rest of the season. They authorized it and they had it done. Godfrey has been very good so far with the problem I am having.