PDA

View Full Version : Texas mini poker run

hammy
12-16-2002, 07:00 AM
How many people in South east texas / southwest lousianna would be interested in a poker run designed for the average boat owner. You know , the guy that owns a 23 foot larson,a 22' hammond or maybe even a jet or fish and ski with an outboard? The thought of it sounds pretty cool to me and there are a ton of inland water ways and lakes in my geographical area on which to have such an event. I was thinkingb of organizing a run from beaumont, Texas to lake charles louisianna via rivers and the intercoastal cannal. I personally live in Orange texas and anyone that is very familiar with this area would know that there are alot of boaters in this area with smaller boats(under 25 foot). I have heard about these types ofevents elsewhere but i have never heard of one in this area. I think that it could be an awsome event with tremendous popularity in this area and i think that there are alot of people within driving distance of the proposed event location as well. Beaumont is a 1.5 hour drive from houston, a 4 hour drive from new orelans , austin an d a 6 hour drive from dallas. I am trying to get AN idea of how much support the event would receive in the way of participants. It has also occured to me that i would need a great deal of help organizing and planning such an event. If any of you have any feed back or a desire to help post here or e-mail me a aknapp@pnx.com .

hammy
12-16-2002, 07:10 AM
Continuation.
The plan would be to start in beaumont on a saturday morning and end up in lake charles that evening/afternoon with stops at several marinas along the way. Therte are a number of waterfron y hotels in the lake charles area fro peopel to overnite in and we would try to secure a group rate for all particiapting members.I am not sure if we shoul plan the next day to be part of the run to or just the first day. If it was just the first day then the end of the day saturday would detremine winners of the poker run if not then we would plan it for sunday in beaumont at waterfrony park.Please let me know which format you think would be better.

hammy
12-16-2002, 07:19 AM
Continuation.
The next issue to address would be boat classes. I think there should be some different classes so that all boater with the fuel capacity and the range could participate.Got a go will post more later

Water Rocket
12-17-2002, 04:00 AM
You can count me in! Just E-mail me on dates and such!
Also, I run two Poker runs a year in East Texas. Have been doing so for six years. Typicaly they are on Memorial day weekend and on 4th of July weekend. We get over 150 entries and Pay 100% of the pot back to players! $7500.00 + you can run anything from a barge, Jet skis, race boats, ski boats.
It's not a race, but a game of chance!

pgf127rt
12-18-2002, 04:21 PM
Hammy, I have been following your post and it is very interesting, I will bet we can get some participation from the DFW area, I for one would be willing to give it a try just for the sake of a long boat ride, is the water there salt or fresh, the answer will be the determining factor to a lot of the boaters I know, and it would tell me which boat I want to take, my e-mail is on my profile, feel free to contact me and I will start the ball rolling from here.

BigDaddy
12-19-2002, 08:32 PM
I would be interested in it and would try to help promote it with some of my friends.
I do have some questions
usually poker runs end were they begin at so all the Land people can see and attend the Party of the winner??
Poker Run is not a Race it is who gets the best Hand using a Poker Hand but the Usual thinking is to get the cards the fastest so ya dont wait in the Marina Backwash so to speak so this makes it a race and show what ya got thing.
we will need acces to Fuel along the way so people like myself who only carry 30 Gal of fuel can refuel.
and you need concider the people in Phoontoon boats who will run it at 30MPH and the time that it will take to do this.
the thing you can do is have a marina at the mid way and turn around there and have stops on the way back so it ends were it started that would get you some marina sponsorship as well or restaurant sponsorship.
But it sounds Like allot of fun just the same
you dont have to call it a Poker run either you can call it something else.
any way that my 2-cents worth and I will be willing to help as much as I can just e-mail me or messege me.

kyle55
12-21-2002, 06:04 PM
I'd probably be in on a deal like that depending on the date, we got a new litling on the way this summer.