PDA

View Full Version : Horsepower, roll up yer sleeves.

DEL51
10-28-2002, 11:35 PM
Here we Go! Project 572,I have a 572 BB chev,1471 littlefield, with Iron merlin heads and roller cam.Will dyno test and try to eek out the last pony on pump gas and availilable race fuel(109.5)Turbo Blue.It is going to come together in the next couple months so bear with me.Gives us northern boys something to look forward to this winter.I plan on installing this engine in my 19 ft jet.This will be a carb motor used for lake runs.Comments welcome, especially from Infomaniac and Flattie!

P-Money
10-29-2002, 06:21 AM
Sounds like an interesting project. What type of hull is this jet you're going to drop it in? Any pics of the boat right now? Sure you don't want to put this motor in a v-drive?! :D

flattie
10-29-2002, 06:45 AM
About time Chris! If you need any help just drop a line we need more boats at the sandbar

K3-River-Rat
10-29-2002, 07:49 AM
Sounds like a great motor wink That combo will "definatly" give you some additional ponys :D

Infomaniac
10-29-2002, 08:21 AM
I wish I had one of those !!
A local Okie once told me this "Your Engine Is Your Boat"
It will be the longest winter you ever spent waiting to run that thing. :)
Oh Yea: At the dyno, Make them run the exhaust that you are going to use on the boat. They can do it. I have done it myself. Even with water. Dyno headers might alter the power range of the engine.
The numbers you get: Do not be concerned about getting the highest number. It is much more important to pay attention to what range the engine makes it's best power. You must make sure the engine runs in that range when it gets back in the boat.
[ October 29, 2002, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

DEL51
10-29-2002, 09:52 PM
I am putting the engine in a centurion Tunnel similar to a daytona.I have two sets of headers to use, both are bassets with water injection. I have a set with 2+1/4 inch primary into a 4" collector and the second set is 2+1/2" primary into a 4.5" collector"Blower headers".If I use the water injection will this screw up the oxygen sensor? The smaller set of pipes heve been severely blued from a previous dyno session but the blower headers are in still in fair shape.I am looking at getting some photos and maybe a video clip.Flattie, Maybe you could help me in this area. If I schedule the dyno session to a time when you're off of work, would you be interested?The Shop is down by Oshkosh.A v-drive may be in my future but I would like to make this work first.I don't have a way to post any of the current photos of the boat.I will try to do this as well.Thanks, Chris

Infomaniac
10-29-2002, 10:11 PM
That big engine needs those big headers. Oxygen sensor on the dyno?

DEL51
10-29-2002, 10:36 PM
Yes,The Dyno had a oxygen probe plugged into the exhaust pipes on each bank after the header collector.I think he used them for air/fuel ratio tuning.The sensors have to be replaced frequently due to the use of leaded race fuels. I do not know if they are wide band or narrow. I will try to include alot of information on the dyno itself.I did help assemble the dyno a few years back.It has a lot of probes. One of the most expensive little things was a fitting that has an impeller inside that measured fuel flow rate.It is a nice setup and I did learn some things during assembly.I participated in one session on a pump gas 572 single carb motor that made 696 H.P.@ 5800 rpm.We went through 55 gallons of fuel.The hardest thing I am facing is getting the fuel system and vacuum pump systems set up prior to the dyno run.I do not have screw in air bleeds on these carbs and am gong to take them to a local carb guru for this.This will assist the engine builder in tuning,not having to drill them out.I did decide to go with the jesel shaft rocker setup.I also had him coat the piston skirts and crowns.I am going to use copper head gaskets with composite seals.I think we had a large post on this subject once before. I will try to post a pic of these as well.

Infomaniac
10-29-2002, 10:42 PM
I was going to say, the flow rater will tell you about your rich lean condition. Lbs of fuel per Brake horsepower per hour. I used one but was a manual deal with a float in a graduated scale tube.
I am interested in those gaskets. Fill me in

flattie
10-30-2002, 03:25 PM
Oooooh intresting I won't miss the the dyno session for the world. I will bring my camera maybe even buy one those mpeg camcorders to do some video of this
Rick

DEL51
11-19-2002, 05:41 PM
I just got home from Goodwins shop. The 572 long block is finished.I am waiting on some small items and the carbs are almost done.I got one drum ready for the race fuel,emptied the old stuff into my friends van.The jesel rocker system is trick and I will have more clearance under the valve covers.I have to check on a dyno date so I can be there.I may have to take a day off depending on when they run it.Should happen in the next 1-2 weeks.I will take some photos of the copper/composite head gaskets.I am really surprised at how fast they moved on this project. Timing was right, I guess.I hope I don't have too many little headaches getting the vacuum pump set up right.Will keep you guys posted.
[ November 19, 2002, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: DEL51 ]

intimidator
11-20-2002, 09:14 PM
DEL51 POST A PIC OF YOUR CENTURION TUNNEL I HAVE HAD MINE FOR APX. 7 MONTHS AND HAVE NOT SEEN ONE LIKE IT. I'LL POST A PIC UNDER JUST JET'S.

Liberator TJ1984
11-21-2002, 06:47 AM
Looks like a FlipFlop with a Big Block !!!
LOL J/K :D
Your running out of time Tony....summers almost here again..that motor ain't gonna fix itself...
Gopherrr wink

DEL51
11-21-2002, 05:27 PM
Intimidator,I do not have a way to post them,webtv.I do have some pic's the previous owner sent me.I have them in my e-mail account.See if you could post them on here.The engine is different than what I have.Check your e-mail.

Jrocket
11-21-2002, 08:49 PM
Goodwin? Is that the same guy that built some of the Flannery's motors?

DEL51
11-23-2002, 01:05 PM
Jrocket,Tell more about Flannery,I will ask Todd on wednesday.

Jrocket
11-23-2002, 02:47 PM
The Flannery's are from the Crandon Wi. area.They used to race the CORR series of off road racing.Im not sure if they used Goodwin or not but for some reason the name rings a bell.. :)

DEL51
11-27-2002, 11:06 PM
Jrocket,He did build the engines for Flannery.I was down there today and saw boxes of parts with their names on it.I asked him about it after seeing the name,otherwise I would have forgot.I have to get a pulley made for the vacuum pump and align the belts.Hopefully by the early part of next week it will be ready.