PDA

View Full Version : "Northeast" jet boaters

460Dave
07-26-2002, 04:13 AM
Are there any Massachusetts and New Hampshire jet boaters out there? What lakes or rivers do you frequently visit? Are there many hassels from the Marine Patrol for exposed headers and over the hull exhaust with baffles?

cdnguitarsnboats
07-26-2002, 05:47 AM
Hi,
I moved to MA about a year ago, and I've been wondering the same thing.
I live in Ayer (up in the Northlands as I call it), and there doesn't seem to be a ready supply of large lakes around here. I've been over to Lowell on the river, but I get the feeling that the traffic and police presence on the weekend would be inhibitive.
I do know of a nice lake in Webster if you don't mind the drive.
By the way, I have a flatbottom prop boat, which appears to make us mortal enemies by the gist of what I've picked up on the board. Don't worry though, I like just about anything that floats, with the exception of sailboats.
Where are you?
Jim

460Dave
07-26-2002, 09:25 AM
Jim,
I live in Wellesley.
Have you tried Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester/Shrewsbury, MA. This lake would be between you and Lake Webster. Nice launch ramp at the north end of the lake. I may be going there in the next day or two.
Dave

howard69
07-26-2002, 04:09 PM
I live in leominster and I know some guys with over the top exhaust have some problems but mine are through hull and i get left alone. I boat on lake shirley. Im a v-drive guy but we should all get togather

Tahiti Owner
07-27-2002, 09:44 AM
I'm from Nashua Nh and the Merrimack River used to be a great place to run in until someone decided it was not wide enough to go more than wake speed...if you ask me it's just another reason to fine people... I have heard about some ***boaters up in lake Horace in Weare Nh. I have been going to Lake Winnepausakee and the marine patrol can be ball busters when the mood strikes them...as long as you are not screwing around too bad they pretty much leave you alone... another good spot is the sand bar on Lake Winnesquam lots of boats get together there. You can Launch at Sarges General Store right on rte 3 at the Belmont/Sambornton line.

cdnguitarsnboats
07-28-2002, 02:57 AM
And here I was thinking I was the only one out here.
I've tried the Merrimack and didn't have any problems, but there was the small-town swaggering sheriff syndrome to consider. He looked a little too eager to harass people the last time I was there.
I think I've driven over that narrow lake on the 290, and it always seemed like pretty heavy traffic for such a small body of water. I checked out Lake Shirley just a few weeks ago, but didn't see anywhere to stick the boat in the water.
It seems to me that we should think about getting together at some point. I keep my boat up in Montreal (water, water everywhere) and would have to know when I should cart it back to MA.
Jim

Tahiti Owner
07-28-2002, 11:59 AM
the merrimack used to be a great place to go there was about 6 or 7 of us that used to get together and run from the ramp in nashua all the way to lowell i think it is about an 18 mile stretch! but just last year they started cracking down on the 100 ft away from everything law and now it is virtually impossible to have boats pass one another at anything more than headway speed...
last week i was at Winnepausakee and this real nice jet boat came into the weirs with thru the transome exhaust and the marine patrol didnt seem to bother him even though you could hear him coming from quite a ways away! hopefully i will be out next weekend on winnesquam at the sand bar now that my motor is finally done...just have to get it outta the back of the truck and back in the boat! The weather is supposed to start getting hot again! im running thru the transom exhaust myself and hope this will keep the marine patrol looking the other way , but it seems no matter where i go people seem to flock to seeing the big block sitting out there in the open! dont have many of these out here! :D
[ July 28, 2002, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Tahiti Owner ]

nhbuoy
07-28-2002, 09:44 PM
I was wondering if there were any other east coast boaters on this site. I don`t have a jet boat now (I did restore a 21 Tahiti daycruiser w/a 460 Ford & Berkely years ago). I like fast outboards now and hope you won't hold it against me. FYI I do most of my boating on Winnipesaukee out of Meredith. I have been to most of the places that were mentioned. Let's hope there are more of us out there, the left coast shouldn't monopolize the forums like they do.(HA-HA). Talk to you later...VELOCITY BOATS RULE!!!!!

howard69
07-29-2002, 03:07 PM
cd
shady point beach at lake shirley has a ramp($5.00). The beach gets packed with undisirables but the ramp is good. Its a great place usually not to rough.
Lake Winnepausakee is way to rough for my boat, I have a flat bottom i think i would definately sink it there.
Any time you guys want to get togather I'm game

Tahiti Owner
07-29-2002, 04:54 PM
Winnepausake isnt so bad on the weekdays...i prefer to stay near the Weirs and in Paugus Bay anyway...The Naswa Beach Club ROCKS! outdoor bar and grill with live music playing right on the beach on the weekends and they even have people come tie up your boat when you pull in! My Tahiti is pretty low to the water and i have not sunk her yet! Try Winnesquam and the 2 sand bars they have there...

Tahiti Owner
07-29-2002, 04:56 PM
if any of you are interested you can check out the Naswa Resort at www.naswaresort.com (http://www.naswaresort.com)

nhbuoy
07-29-2002, 06:45 PM
Hey Tahiti, you sound like an add for the NASWA!! I love that place. My buddys and I like to kid Peter and Cynthia(NOT Cyndy!!) Makris (the owners)that we pretty much paid for all the new docks and bathrooms. We went there long b4 you had to wait to get a spot. In those days I had a tahiti 21 jet and have pictures of it and afew other hot boats beached there.We used to have a ball there.At the time I had a place at Pier 3 (the condos with the boats parked under the big deck) so zig zagging home was no problem.I don't suppose your'e Tahiti is a 21 named RAIZIN CAINE?

cdnguitarsnboats
07-30-2002, 07:19 AM
My boat has similar issues to Howard69's with respect to rough water. Not terribly fun, and it feels like you're beating it to pieces.
I brought the boat back to MA last weekend, so I'm in if anyone wants to meet up somewhere.
If any of you want to just shoot the shit, e-mail me at jamesh@rocketsoftware.com.
It'll be a welcome diversion.
Jim

Tahiti Owner
07-30-2002, 12:51 PM
NH bouy no my Tahiti is a little smaller...only 17 ft...2 tone blue and very low to the water...only in the big waves does it take on water though...well maybe those short stops too.
But that name Raizin Caine sounds familiar...is that boat mostly red with yellow graphics???
As for the Naswa well the atmosphere speaks for itself...i love the place even if im only up for the day!!!
[ July 30, 2002, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Tahiti Owner ]

nhbuoy
07-30-2002, 01:44 PM
HEY TAHITI, RAIZIN CAINE was yellow nose, orange middle,red rear w/brown period trim.My buddy and I redid the whole boat,(fiberglass repairs, prep & paint, wiring, motor,interior etc) It was a real head turner & chick magnet. Top end was around 60 mph.FYI B4 HOT BOAT had a readers rides section, I sent a letter & pictures of our project to them and the next month a picture and my letter appeared in the letters section. We were proud and amazed!!!!!!!LATA JET BOY!!!!!!!VELOCITY BOATS RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

howard69
07-31-2002, 01:26 PM
cd
Im busy this weekend but i'll email you next week. maybe we could meet somewhere. and anyone else that wants to go

nhbuoy
07-31-2002, 07:29 PM
HEY TAHITI, I got your e mails this am but no pix. If you know how(I SURE DON'T!!), maybe you could post them here?.....!!!!!!!VELOCITY BOATS RULE!!!!!!!!

Tahiti Owner
08-01-2002, 07:01 AM
It's aol i tell you! Get rid of them they are EVIL! LOL Hmmmm well I have a pic of the boat posted in reader rides...i have yet to figure out how to post a pic in the forums. I just posted it in reader rides so it should be in the 1st couple of pages, I noticed it has already had 79 hits :D

Tahiti Owner
08-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Ok if this works like its supposed to my engine pic will appear... http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/455_olds.JPG
[ August 03, 2002, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Tahiti Owner ]

Tahiti Owner
08-03-2002, 02:46 PM
Ok so it does work exactly the way i was hoping ...here's the boat http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/1Boat_1.JPG
[ August 03, 2002, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Tahiti Owner ]

Tahiti Owner
08-03-2002, 02:51 PM
and yet another view! http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/boat_rearview.JPG

nhbuoy
08-04-2002, 03:33 PM
HEY TAHITI,,,,,VERRRRY NICE!!!!! Did you do the resto yourself? It looks new!! Do you use it for skiing much? I'll bet it pulls a like train w/no wake!!!! JETULATA!!!!!!!!!!VELOCITY BOATS RULE!!!!!!! PS Did you go boating this weekend? Where?

Tahiti Owner
08-05-2002, 11:12 AM
that is the condition i bought it in! i have owned it for about 5 years now and the kids have tubed off it but nobody wants to ski off her yet...my son thinks maybe this weekend

Dimarco Kid
08-05-2002, 05:05 PM
Next year we should plan a weekend regatta. Keep it simple, find a nice place (calm water for me!) and hang out for the weekend. Sound good? I'll pull down for a weekend shindig!
D Kid

Tahiti Owner
08-05-2002, 05:25 PM
Sounds like a plan Kid...wish i still had my place in Raymond Me...smaller lake(2 miles long) always smooth water. Oh well I'm hoping to find a place in the lakes region of NH. BTW i saw the pics of your boat resto...it looks real nice!!! I might do mine over this winter too...
Good luck with it and keep up the good work!

Avenger 1975
08-06-2002, 08:41 PM
I'm in Concord, NH. I'm in the middle of getting an Avenger I bought 2 years ago into running condition, cosmetically its in tough shape but I don't care right now, just want to get it on the water finally. Through transom and engine cover still in place (for now). This will be my first jet. Hopefully I'll get it running and head up to Winnesquam.

Tahiti Owner
08-07-2002, 03:50 AM
so you know the place on Winnesquam i have spoken of??? Great place to meet up with people! I'm either gonna be there this weekend or on Pemigewasset Lake on 104 since i finally got the water out of the engine and the starter problem fixed. Just a little tip get one of those ground straps to connect the started and block...makes a huge difference in how she starts!
[ August 07, 2002, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: Tahiti Owner ]