PDA

View Full Version : Isabele........is a comming

fat rat
09-14-2003, 06:46 PM
For those of you that have been upset about a little rain........check this out!
U.S. EAST COAST ON ALERT
Still, some East Coast residents were already preparing for the worst.
In Washington, D.C., emergency officials were working on acquiring additional sandbags, and planned to meet with other department and critical services leaders Monday, said Peter LaPorte, director of the Emergency Management Agency.
“We’re going to take a proactive approach Monday into Tuesday,” LaPorte said. “One, of public education campaign and two, take some steps with some of the government services.
“Then we’re going to pray.”
Hurricane resources
• Briefing guide
• Slide show
• Deadliest U.S. hurricanes
• Flood guide
• Storm terminology
• Wind-proofing your property
Even with plywood at its highest prices in a decade, Steve Myers had a steady stream of customers looking for supplies to board up windows in and around Georgetown, S.C.
At the 84 Lumber store he co-manages there, a half-inch-thick sheet now costs about $20, but that’s “cheaper than a $300 window,” Myers said.
In Wilmington, N.C., John Byrnes had already stocked up with 25 sheets of plywood Sunday and enough two-by-fours and screws to barricade the windows at his house, his in-lawsÂ’ house and their downtown law office.
His household generator was ready and he had an extra tank of propane gas to run appliances.
“We’re all pretty much taken care of,” Byrnes said. “We’re in standby mode.”
In coastal Georgia, the Chatham County Emergency Management Agency urged residents to review their hurricane plans, which should include adequate supplies, updated insurance coverage and evacuation routes.
“It’s still a long ways away [but] we have to prepare as if it’s coming here,” said agency director Phillip Webber.
READINESS, ACCEPTANCE IN S. CAROLINA
The state went on an elevated alert status Friday.
In Charleston, S.C., Joe Walker said he didnÂ’t evacuate in 1989 when Hurricane Hugo blasted ashore, and he probably wonÂ’t leave if Isabel veers into his area.
“If it’s going to come, it’s going to come,” Walker said.
South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford and other state officials were briefed Saturday by the state Emergency Management Division on emergency preparations. The state went on an elevated alert status Friday.
Water management officials in Florida were worried about the stormÂ’s possible effect on some of their already-swollen rivers and lakes.
The State Department issued a travel warning advising tourists to avoid the Bahamas; large ocean swells and dangerous surf were forecast for the Leeward Islands in the northeastern Caribbean.
The last Category 5 Atlantic hurricane was Mitch in 1998, which killed about 11,000 people in Central America. The last two Category 5 hurricanes to strike the United States were Andrew in 1992 and Camille in 1969.
The Atlantic hurricane season began June 1 and ends Nov. 30.
Let's hope for the best.........I'm headed down to 84 lumber for plywood and Food Lion for toilet paper, bread and milk. I dont know why but these item's sell out fast. :rolleyes:

Moomawnster
09-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Flooding would be very bad news for me , I am staying in a house which has had the water into the second floor before during hurricanes ..... this is turning into a really crappy season ! cry Plywood is $20 because the US government is buying it up for rebuilding IRAQ and the supplyers can't make it fast enough ! AHHH good old supply and demand !

fat rat
09-15-2003, 02:55 AM
Hey Moo.......you better park/tie up that boat next to the back porch, just in case. :)

Moomawnster
09-15-2003, 03:11 AM
I am gonna tie the Moomawnster to the dock , and be ready to hop in ! you can see the situation I am in here , Seneca creek is famous for rising fast! eek!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/139Swamp.JPG

ezstriper
09-15-2003, 03:32 AM
ALONG WITH OUR 18' STARBUCK JET(WHICH IS STILL IN THE PAINT SHOP) WE HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT OUR 50' GIBSON(HOTEL CALIFORNIA)WHICH IS ON THE MIDDLE POTOMAC, WE ARE PLANNING TO MOVE IT FROM THE MARINA SOMETIME WED., ALTHOUGH WE DO HAVE ANOTHER PROBLEM. SAT WE LOST A SEAL IN THE HYD. STEERING
AND HAVE NO STEERING AT THIS TIME, TALK ABOUT TIMING ! I'M SCAMBLING THIS AM TO FIND THE PARTS
AND HOPE TO GET HER MOVED IN TIME. WE GONE THRU
2 HURRICANES THERE, NEITHER DIRECT HITS AS THIS ONE MAY BE, NOT A PRETTY SITE !IF ALL GOES WEEL WE WILL ANCHOR HER OUT AND PRAY FOR THE BEST !
ROB....

Blown 472
09-15-2003, 07:34 AM
That must suck having to get ready for that shit, good luck to all.

Wet Dream
09-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Even up here in PA we are expecting to see record flooding. The river which runs about 300 yards in front of the house and to the side is known for rising fast. They got flooded around here the year before we moved in. My house sits high enough, but I might have riverfront property here shortly. Good luck guys, hope we all fare well.

wideopen545
09-15-2003, 05:58 PM
damn we had 3 feet in our shop in feb and now their saying we MIGHT get up too 5 ft
iam moveing the boat on wed and the jet is gased up ready for a parking lot ride
hope all is well for everyone tim

ezstriper
09-17-2003, 03:40 AM
WELL REBUILT STERRING CYLINDER AND GOT THE STERRING BACK, WE ARE GOING TO MOVE HER OUT THIS AFTERNOON TO A COVE AND PRAY FOR THE BEST, LOTS OF ACTIVITY GOING ON AROUND THE MARINA. I'VE HEARD
STORM SURGE AMOUNTS FROM 3'-12'ANYTHING OVER ABOUT
6' AND NO BOATS CAN SURVIVE AT THE DOCKS(I DON'T THINK)IT'S GOING TO BE VERY INTERESTING, ROB...

fat rat
09-17-2003, 03:58 AM
Worked on the generator last nite, finally got it running........just in case we do lose eletric.