PDA

View Full Version : Lake Norman ??

VD CRUISER
01-17-2003, 07:44 AM
Dave A or Stump, a couple of my V-drive buddys and myself want to come down to Lake Norman this summer. Will we get hasseled about the noise, is there plenty deep water, and are there motels close by ?
PS, most of us have blower motors.

stump
01-17-2003, 08:47 AM
Come on down ,plenty of motels. I havnt had any problems with noise from mine yet ,but i have only had my boat in the water since last part of last summer.I have been running it on and off this winter and havnt had any problems.I met a guy that occasionally tests a S/S boat and he said he usually gets talked to ,but i have as of yet myself.There is a small hotel on the lake itself called the lake norman motel it is between mooresville and denver on slanting bridge rd it is the only motel on the water ,it is a small little place ,looks clean though.Type in any search engine lake norman motel and something will come up on it and the area.There are plenty of big loud boats on this lake and it is a huge lake 500 some miles of shoreline.It gets very busy on summer weekends ,and small boats like my flatbottom just arent made for the chop but during the week when it's smooth is when i go out .if I can be any more help let me know,

Havasu Doug
01-17-2003, 08:58 AM
FYI, this website has some useful info on Lake Norman: LKN FUN (http://www.lknfun.com)

DaveA
01-18-2003, 09:37 PM
VD Cruiser,
Do you plan to do anything else while you're here? Just wondered if your plans included some sort of NASCAR or other related bizness...regardless, let me 'n Stump know when you're planning to come and between the two of us, we'll try to get any info or assistance you need.
I'll look forward to seeing some different v-drives here, too. With Blowers? Whoooeeee!
DaveA

DaveA
01-18-2003, 09:41 PM
BTW:
My neighbor has a huge house that he rents on the lake 2 houses down from me. He's living in Lexington VA right now, and if that's something you'd be interested in, let me know. I'll hook you up with him and you can see if it'll fit.
DaveA

VD CRUISER
01-19-2003, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. Thought we might come on a non race weekend, if we could find one, in hopes of seeing some of the Nascar drivers on the lake. Thinking of a long weekend like Friday through Monday.

MarKist
01-28-2003, 03:08 PM
DaveA do you and stump ever go down to Mtn. island ? just wondering :cool: :cool:

stump
01-28-2003, 03:31 PM
I have been o mtn island about 2 months ago it is very small compared to norman.There is a streatch of water that is just below hwy 73 that i want to try out in my v drive the water was low and it looked like tree stumps just below the surface, i was afraid to venture into unknown areas until i could get the skinny on the best path,but if there is access to the river abouve the lake and below hwy 73 it would be a great place to unwind the boats !!Are you in gaston?

MarKist
01-28-2003, 05:04 PM
Stump,I don't think you can get on Mtn.Island from Norman ,as a matter of fact,you can't! becauce there are dams at both ends!!Its small but thats whats good!! its always smooth as glass and no BIG boats!yea I'm from G-town,YES its great for V-D and jets last summer it was great sand bar and all everybody was complaining about the water (WE WEREN'T)there are some good places to open them up!! :D :D :D this little lake is perfect, no shit last year there were alot of jets and V-Ds, :D bring-em over sometime!! :D BEERS on me!! :D :D :D

DaveA
01-28-2003, 07:02 PM
I think Stump meant that you can get on the river above Mtn Island via access area, and that there's one below Hwy 273, too. Right? I think that's the case- in any event, I've not been on Mtn Island, but that and Lake Hickory are two good v-drive/jet lakes because of the size and traffic, according to friends. I don't have a trailer for my I/O, since it stays on the lift year-round, so I can't travel with it. :( But I have one for the Raysoncraft- if I ever get that thing restored.
Regarding smooth water on Norman :rolleyes: If you go up north of Bill's Marina at Buffalo Shoals Road (he has a ramp & fuel, and a decent snackbar) the river is really nice. It has a little bit of a current, the water is cooler in the summer, and it's a great place to wakeboard and run at speed. I've run it all the way up above I-40 when the lake was full- gotta watch the rocks up there, tho. There's only a few houses still, and there's sandbars you can spend the day on. Shhh. Don't tell anybody how nice it is.
DaveA

MarKist
01-28-2003, 08:06 PM
Yea DaveA,I don't Know of a access on 73,there's one I know on 273.Dude i'll get freekin lost on Norman that lake is gigantic!! :p I beleive I'll stay on the POND :D :D :D

stump
01-29-2003, 04:56 AM
Of course i know that mt island lake is seperate of norman ,what i was trying to say is there is a streatch of water that can be seen along hwy 73 just below the dam it always looks nice and flat.I went to mtn island lake put the boat in but i didnt go that far upstream because down in the main body of mtn island lake just where it kinda merged into that streatch of water it looked like tree stumps just below the surface,i have been told that just past this point there is about 5 miles of fantastic river to blast on and a sandbar to hangout on.I want to go back with somebody that has fished that area and get shown the best path to travel on it.
And i'd love to hook up when it gets warm and check out wiley and i'll take ya up on the beer too!!LOLAre you plannin on the lake anna thing in june ? My fiance and I are talking about it sounds like fun.

RumRunner
01-29-2003, 06:19 AM
If I'm coming up from Atlanta where's the best place to put in, stay, and hang out on Norman ?
Doug

DaveA
01-29-2003, 07:56 PM
RumRunner:
If I'm coming up from Atlanta where's the best place to put in, stay, and hang out on Norman ?
Doug Doug,
Tell us what kind of boating you want to do and what kind of accomodations you'd like- You'll need Stump's input, too, but if you're going to want to hang with alot of interesting people (me 'n Stump are interesting, too), there's alot of places on the south end of the lake that's rockin'. It gets so wild there (in a Southern sort of way) that the lake commission put a 'no rafting' ordinance in effect to keep the tying up down to 4-5 boats at a time! The sandbar on the south end comes to mind. :D Our version of Havasu. You can even hop in the lake and pee in front of Jeff Gordon's or Rusty Wallace's old residences... Or many other NASCAR stars' homes, if you're so inclined.
Several good restaurants on the lake- depends on what you like. Lodging ranges from motels nearby (one on the lake, it's old, but I think they do a good job with it) to home rentals. They're kinda scarce tho. Don't come in late May unless it's for the Winston and the CocaCola 600 and you have made reservations a few years in advance. You'll be forced to sleep in your boat.
There's alot of public ramps built by Duke Power- but they don't have much in the way of services- just a ramp, a pier, and a place to park the tow rig (what more do you need?). Lots of marinas and fuel, pricey of course.
DaveA

RumRunner
01-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Dave
Thanks, I've got a 25' Sunsation. I'd like to tool around a see the lake, and hang with some cool people that may want to have an adult beverage or two. Hotel would be fine. I know a few people who live/work in Mooresville, but I'd rather get a hotel.
Doug

Barry1784
01-30-2003, 01:12 PM
One of the best weekends is Memorial. All of the NASCAR guys are in town and most are out on the lake on Monday. We had a big tie up last year at the sand bar. Had two wc champs in my boat at the same time, pretty cool. Anyway If your bringing V-drives, Don't forget your Lifeline Jackets It gets rough as $hit!!http://ourworld.cs.com/Barry1784/myhomepage/auto.html

Barry1784
01-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Doug,
You better come up this year. Give me a call when you are on the way. pig_flyi
http://ourworld.cs.com/Barry1784/myhomepage/auto.html