PDA

View Full Version : raleigh n.c. boating????

pleasantcat
10-15-2003, 06:47 PM
hey all you eastcoast guys. i'm a guy who may find myself out in the raleigh area and was wondering what kind of water you guys have. i'm use to havasu ( a lake on the colorado river that gives you a run of well over 70miles long.) or my lake 20minutes from the house that when full is 8miles long with lots of coves to relax in. also how long is your season. year round hear. thanks and maybe we'll see you guys soon.

pleasantcat
10-16-2003, 09:08 PM
what gives? nobody in north carolina has a boat?? this is making any decision to go there alot harder. if any of you guys in n.c. are here, please let me know whats going on out there ok??

Sublime
10-17-2003, 04:41 AM
hey pleasantcat... we got a great boating crowd out here.... I to am used to Havasu " I am from Socal"
we have a lake out here called Lake Norman.. check out www.lknfun.com (http://www.lknfun.com) and you can get an idea of what has taking place over the summer.
there is another lake closer to you called high rock lake which has some fast boats on it as well... Lake Nrm has about 650 miles of shore line but its all houses No Beaches :( ... we got some nices rides on it and ALOT of those damn cruisers and wake boats...
the season is from about April-Oct for the diehard ***boaters and from may-middle sept for the sunbakers. :) ....
let me know when you are coming and we can get together on the lake...
Cory

travis hathaway
10-17-2003, 03:22 PM
In answer to your question, Raleigh is becoming a vast area. depending what area you will be in, there are two lakes within 15 miles of Raleigh. Lake Jordan and Falls Lake. Both offer boating, fishing and picnic facilitys. Jordan has good camping and a Marina, some good coves to hang out an the Lake police(Wildlife and Game) are reasonable as long as you are safe. The boat ramps are free except at the campsites where the cost is 5 bucks a day if you are not camping. Campers have free access. In addition to the lakes mentioned in the previous post, Kerr Lake is in the Northeastern part of the State. It is very large and has complete facilitys. Most of the folks I boat with go to Jordan, just 15 minutes away and we have a pretty good group of Performance Boaters. Get a map and check em out!

pleasantcat
10-17-2003, 06:33 PM
thanks guys, i was just worried that if i drag my boat out i'll be the odd one out there and not be able to use it.if i do come out it's probly a good 6months away. just depends on the one going out before me. :rolleyes:

Squirtin Thunder
10-22-2003, 11:43 AM
I live here in Mooresville about 5min from Lake Norman. Well I run on the lake every day after work. But the winter gods have struck early this year I have had to winterize allready !!! Now last winter I went Skiing in Dec. and again in Jan. The weather was nice the water was f@#%*ng ice cold. The lake has thas mindless jetskiers everywhere and those big hudge 30'+ boat that can't get on plane, I think they just need more HP. I have a 18' Sanger jet BBF and enjoy the lake. Launching is FREE at Duke Power ramps. Which is nice !!!

stump
10-22-2003, 01:40 PM
Hey squirt where do you put in at ?I have a mandella flatbottom i run on norman at times.We have been running quite a lot over on mtn island lake nice and flat and there are quite a few jets over there.I'm in cornelius.

DaveA
10-22-2003, 09:11 PM
Hey Squirtin' Thunder,
I'm up near the Lake Norman Airpark on the north end of the lake off Perth Road. Where you at? Gotta see that Sanger jet- what color is it?
Hey Stump!
DaveA

Squirtin Thunder
10-24-2003, 07:00 PM
We usually go to Stumpy Creek or Duke Power at the 150 bridge.
Now I know Dave you must of seen or heard it !!! I always show tail !!! Or maybe with the local lake Sheriff. I get stopped all the time. The good part is we now just talk football baseball nascar work or the weather. I tend to piss the lake home owners off just a little. WTF !!! There is nothing better than the sweet sound of a BBF in the evening !!!
Stump !!! How did the propshaft go?
I poll my motor now prepping for the new little 572ci 750+hp, it should run better !!!
Code Blue Racing

DaveA
10-24-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Squirtin Thunder
We usually go to Stumpy Creek or Duke Power at the 150 bridge.
My house is within sight of the Stumpy Creek ramp. If you look at a map, I'm in the small cove right off the end of the runway at the Lake Norman Airpark. PM me for contact info.
Now I know Dave you must of seen or heard it !!! I always show tail !!! Or maybe with the local lake Sheriff. I get stopped all the time. The good part is we now just talk football baseball nascar work or the weather. I tend to piss the lake home owners off just a little. WTF !!! There is nothing better than the sweet sound of a BBF in the evening !!!
You got that right! I love it!

promod
10-26-2003, 12:20 PM
:D :p HEY DAVE A HAVEN'T TALK TO YA IN WHILE FIANLLY GOT THAT JET TOGETHER, PLEASANT CAT I RUN A BLWON ALKY JET AROUND RALEIGH ACTUALLY 30 MIN SOUTH A LAKE CALLED SHARIN HARRIS OR ALSO KNOWN AS CP&L, A NUCLEAR POWER PLANT, HAVEN'T HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH THE LAW AS OF NOW SO FOR WITH SPEED AND NOISE KEEP MY FINGERS CROSSED.
I'M USUALLY ON COMPUTER AT WORK BUT DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME TO READ AND TIME TO POST INFO, BUT AT HOME STAY BUSY LIKE NORMAL WITH BOAT OR HONEY DO'S, IF YOU NEED ANY HELP GIVE ME CALL I HELP IF I CAN. THANKS GRANT D.:eek: :eek:

likwidsukr
11-01-2003, 08:11 AM
Have not been on Jordan in two years it was to shallow for my tastes not like Philpott lake in Va. I do like Kerr lake though, I think Jordan was low because of the drought but I hit ground i could not see the water was so merky.
Grant I'll call you later Steve

GLWBEAR
11-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Heys guys will a transplant from California be welcome in N. Carolina? We've got a 2003 DCB MACH-34 with twin Teague 1050's with Mercury #-6 drives. We run 141 mph. How will these speeds and noise be accepted in the Lakes around N. Carolina?
Does anyone know anything about Lake Gaston or Kerr Buggs lake?? Give me some details please. How are the cops on the noise issues?
Looking for a spot to move to.
GLWBEAR

DaveA
11-02-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by GLWBEAR
Heys guys will a transplant from California be welcome in N. Carolina? We've got a 2003 DCB MACH-34 with twin Teague 1050's with Mercury #-6 drives. We run 141 mph. How will these speeds and noise be accepted in the Lakes around N. Carolina?
Does anyone know anything about Lake Gaston or Kerr Buggs lake?? Give me some details please. How are the cops on the noise issues?
Looking for a spot to move to.
GLWBEAR
Well, boats like yours are becoming more commonplace on Lake Norman here in the central part of the state just north of Charlotte. You'll get to run up against the likes of Rick Hendrick's Skater, Robby Gordon's hardware of the week, and my neighbor's DCB Mach 27, among others.
Speed issues here are- air it out during the week. It can get busy around the south end during the weekends. We have 4 different counties trying to patrol this lake along with the state wildlife commission guys in boats and planes, so it's regulatory overkill usually only on the big weekends. I never see them during the week. Noise? The lakefront residents might complain and call the law occasionally, but other than that I think as long as you're running wet pipes, you'd be legal...I think.:confused:
With a rig like that, you'd have a blast running around the coast- after all you've got all that sheltered water in the Sounds just west of the Outer Banks- miles of wide open spaces. Search on Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds in Google for more info. Then you've got the Inland Waterway that you could ride if you wanted to stay off the open ocean but ride up and down the coast.
Yup, bring it on! We'd love to see it...especially love to ride in it!
PS: Hey Grant...haven't been in your neck of the woods for a while- I've got to come see that monster of yours!
DaveA

likwidsukr
11-11-2003, 09:55 AM
I seen his boat Sunday it is looking good.sweet engine