PDA

View Full Version : The Gloves Are Coming Off!!!

SHARKEYMARINE
08-01-2003, 03:13 AM
Saturday night the Verizon contract expires at midnight. All they can tell us is that we are no closer to a contract than when they 1st started negotiating.
The company is seeking rediculus give backs on the union's part. Cutting the Benefits "Pay More Get Less" is a big issue.
A federal mediator has already been brought in. That was a real surprise that he came in so soon.
Homeland Security also stepped in. They told the company they do not want to see us Strike and that the company needs to settle this thing.
They feel the country's security could be an issue if they have 80,000 communication workers walk off the job.
The reason I brought this to the board is I know a lot of members from here boat on the Barnegat Bay. If by chance you are up near the Metedeconk River's north side on Saturday morning, come by and blow your horn in support of our Local 827.
We will be having a little peaceful get together.
Thank you for your support!
[ August 02, 2003, 04:02 AM: Message edited by: SHARKEYMARINE ]

Freak
08-01-2003, 03:48 AM
Shark
I gotta say Verizon's management is one screwed up bunch. I dont work for Verizon but I've seen some stupid stuff from them. Like cutting costs by not keeping supplies for the crews to repair phone lines. How do you fix the lines without the equipment? Some of the younger guy's go out and purchase the equipment with their own money just so they can do the job!
I say a major cost savings can be accomplished by cutting some mangement!

shirkey4750
08-01-2003, 12:12 PM
I was on strike last year,aginst Columbia Gas Transmisson (PACE). We fought the same bull that y'all are fighting now. Have several friends who work for Verizion. They will have my support.

SHARKEYMARINE
08-02-2003, 03:01 AM
Freak:
Shark
I say a major cost savings can be accomplished by cutting some mangement! That is coming right after the strike.
They already announced they want to cut 5000 more jobs the same day they announced a their profits. In the article it actually stated that Management will be fired. eek!
Thanks for the support! wink

Infomaniac
08-02-2003, 07:43 AM
I do not know the details of your situation but:
If wage and benefit cuts are necessary - then they should be shared equally between management and the contract employees. Just went through that myself.
The union should hire a professional accounting firm to examine the books. If the company cannot afford to give then there is no need to push for more. Thee hired firm will determine if the degree of give backs are appropriate.
If they are: better to have a job than make a deal or decision that is loose - loose for everyone. Those that do not agree should move on.
Lots of finger pointing goes on in these situations.