PDA

View Full Version : Olds,Chevy,and Ford

SIDEWAZ
11-07-2002, 07:32 AM
Hey guys I've been reading your board for a will, finally got around to joining in. I have a 1972 sidewinder 350 olds, with a 2 bbl carb, berk 12jc this winter working on the interior. Next year I want to do the motor up, I'm on a budget, but i want to put a nice running solid engine in that I don't have to tweak all the time, I like the 350 olds so far, but looking into parts to rebuild, I'm learning they are hard to find and expensive, other than the oil problem with the olds, I wanted to get some feedback as to pro's and cons of olds, chevy, and ford. I have been thinking about converting to a chevy or ford, just because the parts are cheaper and more available,(can that be done with out changing anything on the berk? Thanks guys. Also this is WetDreams fault!

blondebomber
11-07-2002, 08:23 AM
If your on a budget go with a Chevy.

Dimarco Kid
11-07-2002, 02:50 PM
Go Chevy, Bomber's jet has a pretty mild (except for the foot cam, inside joke) and his boat goes great. One of, if not the hardest pulling naturally asperated jets I've been in. Parts are so much easier to find and buy. Big plus is the number of them out there, if you got a problem, one of these guys is bound to of encountered the same. Good luck!
D Kid

DansBlown73Nordic
11-07-2002, 02:53 PM
Is that what you call that? Foot Cam???? wink
I thought it was a invisable Blower!!! :D

syke-o
11-07-2002, 11:53 PM
Ford baby!!!

blondebomber
11-08-2002, 04:05 AM
come on people that wasn't a foot cam. That was the real thing.

fat rat
11-08-2002, 04:22 AM
The foot cam is a must for any Jet, :D But seriously speaking, if you like the 350 you'll love a 454 BBC, you can pick up a non H.O. motor cheap.....good torque/H.P and tons of parts available, hope to see you at B.O.T.E. 2....Good Luck.

Wet Dream
11-08-2002, 02:11 PM
Ok, time to get my feet wet...
Stick with the Olds!!!
Rat barely has his broken in,
Dan has to beat on his to get it going,
Dimarco still has to put his in the boat,
But Bomber's does run like a raped ape, although the throttle needs heavier return springs. :D
But since you are on a budget, this is going to take some time if you go with another brand engine. A changeover from Olds to Chevy, small block to big block is going to cost approximately $2000 in the parts that you need, motor mounts, exhaust, pto, intake etc.
I ran with your boat and I think it does pretty damn well Tripp. You can still get quite a bit more out of that engine.

Moomawnster
11-08-2002, 03:44 PM
I'm with Bill on this one.... keep the Olds! first.. you said it has a 2 bbl carb, lots of room for improvement there! but what do I know .... my 350 is on the floor right now waiting for new heads! eek!

malcolm
11-10-2002, 09:11 AM
I'm staying with Olds just to be different. I don't want to copy everyone else and run a belly button motor. Mine's been turn key for over 4 years. I pulled it out this year just to go for more HP.

syke-o
11-13-2002, 10:18 PM
nice boat malcol :D m!!!

HotHallet
11-14-2002, 03:29 PM
Running a 460 Ford in my 19 Hallet bubble deck with a Berk 12 JC pump behind it. I have always been a Chevy guy but this motor has never let me down. It runs hard and has been very dependable. The parts are not as hard to find as people say. Sure Chevy's are more common but myself and a few friends run Fords and we are happy with them. I have to say ditching the olds could be the smartest move you make.

marquis486
11-14-2002, 06:42 PM
although I am a FORD man, I can't complain at all about the big block olds that I run in my jet...The 455 has been bored 030, slightly larger than stock cam, original stock intake, original stock quadrjet carb, original stock points distributor(points have been replaced a few times)...The boat is 29 years old, motor was rebuilt 11 years ago, no pretty engine parts, but she will get up an go...G.P.S was 61mph on a smooth surface.....

malcolm
11-14-2002, 08:22 PM
Thanks Syke-o
Nice...Dog :D