PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Drive-in

NashvilleBound
02-27-2003, 05:40 PM
Since I am stuck in CA for the next while I am having withdrawls from TN...one namely Sonic. I found one in Anaheim but its almost 2 hours away. Anyone know where one closer to San Diego is? I prommised the kids Sonic this weekend...looks like were going for a drive :rolleyes:

twistedpair
02-27-2003, 05:43 PM
Come on over to Vegas for the race, we got Sonics all over! wink :D

Ziggy
02-27-2003, 05:46 PM
Not worth the drive for a sonic, don't taste that good anyhow. Thats why they didn't make it around these parts. In-n-Out takes the cake in this region. Better choice yet is to use that BBQ in the backyard.

NashvilleBound
02-27-2003, 05:50 PM
Let me clarify our "needs" for Sonic....Its the shakes. Banana cream...All the good ones! Certainly not the burgers or those lame hot dogs...what are they called? Conies?? Ach! yuk

Infomaniac
02-27-2003, 05:53 PM
I'll eat some Sonic for you.
You eat a Macho Combo Burrito for me from Naugles if they are still around San Diego.

superdave013
02-27-2003, 05:53 PM
NashvilleBound:
Since I am stuck in CA for the next while I am having withdrawls from TN...one namely Sonic. I found one in Anaheim but its almost 2 hours away. Anyone know where one closer to San Diego is? I prommised the kids Sonic this weekend...looks like were going for a drive :rolleyes: Well seeing that I have been to your house and that Sonic is about 3/4 mile from me I have some input. That's a long ass drive for Sonic! But if you just can't take it let me know and we'll meet you there.
Or I could get you a to go order and ship it to ya. :D

MJ19
02-27-2003, 05:55 PM
Never heard of a "sonic" eek!
Explain please :confused:
Like In & Out? :cool:

riverliver
02-27-2003, 05:58 PM
http://www.sonicdrivein.com/images/topsign.gif

Sleek-Jet
02-27-2003, 05:59 PM
MJ19:
Never heard of a "sonic" eek!
Explain please :confused:
Like In & Out? :cool: It's a car-hop drive in.
Pull in, push the button on the speaker box, someone brings you your food, ect...
In-N-Out has far better hamburgers, but sonic's fountain drinks and shakes rock!!

NashvilleBound
02-27-2003, 05:59 PM
SuperDave... I think I'll have to go. I mentioned it to the family and now it will not die. Were going to GT Perf first to drop off parts then to Sonic in Anaheim then to Rolling Hills area in Torannce for the night. If your going to be around mid day Sat and are up for a shake send me a pm with your # I'll call you when were close.
Jeff

Ziggy
02-27-2003, 06:00 PM
Ok, the shakes are worthwhile, or at least what my memory serves. DQ may be your best alternative to those.....but my all time favorite from years past was the ol' A&W rootbeer floats.
NASH, there used to be a place down the hill from you on Valley Parkway we used to frequent but it is gone now...bummer.

uvindex
02-27-2003, 06:00 PM
I'm not bagging on Sonic. However, I do agree that "when in Rome" you should take the family to In and Out. :) (Try ordering a double-double "Animal Style" -- I think you'll be happy.)
Valley Center appears to be kind of BFE (never been there) but the In and Out site (www.inandout.com) lists the following locations as being closest to you (assuming that's where you are!)
Happy dining and boating,
CS
Oceanside 4605 Frazee 92057
Vista 2010 Hacienda Dr. 92083
Carlsbad 5950 Avenida Encinas 92009
Temecula 27700 Jefferson Ave. 92590
SD County 11880 Carmel Mountain Rd. 92128

Dog
02-27-2003, 06:14 PM
I lived in Pa for 2 years and i tell you what when i got back to Oklahoma i think i ate at sonic everyday for 2 weeks. smile_sp smile_sp

snappertapper
02-27-2003, 06:21 PM
well i dont reckon there is any around here either. i never heard of such anyway.

MJ19
02-27-2003, 06:27 PM
NashvilleBound:
SuperDave... I think I'll have to go. I mentioned it to the family and now it will not die. Were going to GT Perf first to drop off parts then to Sonic in Anaheim then to Rolling Hills area in Torannce for the night. If your going to be around mid day Sat and are up for a shake send me a pm with your # I'll call you when were close.
Jeff Coming to Solvang? :D I could take you to a great pastery shop :D
As for In & Out Burger...Go with the "Animal/Protein" style...that is the BEST!!! :D
[ February 27, 2003, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: MJ19 ]

NashvilleBound
02-27-2003, 06:44 PM
MJ19:
NashvilleBound:
As for In & Out Burger...Go with the "Animal/Protein" style...that is the BEST!!! :D I'm afraid to ask what a "Animal Protien" burger is yuk
When it comes to burgers In & Out takes the cake..so to speak
Shakes...nobody comes close to Sonic.
Ziggy: The DQ on Valley closed a long time ago. Escondido is Little TJ now...nothing but brown units.

NashvilleBound
02-27-2003, 06:47 PM
MJ19:
NashvilleBound:
As for In & Out Burger...Go with the "Animal/Protein" style...that is the BEST!!! :D Whats a Pastery? Is that like a crossont (said with french accent)?
jk...If we were closer we would drop by. we are going to do a three day'r to Naci in the first part of June.

uvindex
02-27-2003, 06:53 PM
I'm afraid to ask what a "Animal Protien" burger is."Animal Style" - bun is grilled with mustard, sauteed onions instead of raw, pickles, extra "special sauce"
"Protein Style" - lettuce wrapped around the burger instead of a bun.
Have a nice dinner! :)

NashvilleBound
02-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Never heard of it before but damn if that doesn't sound good. All this talk of food, I'm starved!

77charger
02-27-2003, 08:50 PM
superdave013:
Well seeing that I have been to your house and that Sonic is about 3/4 mile from me I have some input. That's a long ass drive for Sonic! But if you just can't take it let me know and we'll meet you there.
Or I could get you a to go order and ship it to ya. :D holy shit SDO13 i am about that far away too from there.you must live just onthe other side of the freeway from me

MJ19
02-27-2003, 08:55 PM
NashvilleBound:
we are going to do a three day'r to Naci in the first part of June. Were you going to tell us? or were you trying to get away with a sneak trip and not have to deal with us country folks? :confused: :p :D

skeepwerkzaz
02-27-2003, 10:13 PM
Sonic is pretty freaking good, the burgers are better than all but in-n-out and Whataburger in my opinion. But the Chocolate Cream Pie shake is the BOMB. I live a half mile away from one. he he.

Jordy
02-27-2003, 10:17 PM
Sonic has the best cherry limeade, something DQ doesn't have. Plus, I know it's corny, but they make a mean grilled cheese sandwich. The burgers and such don't do alot for me, but the tater tots are killer. I'm glad they're back. We had them all over the place when I was a kid and then they went away for 20 years and now they're popping up all over the place again. Yum. :D

superdave013
02-27-2003, 10:18 PM
NashvilleBound:
Jeff I'll be around but Saturday is our anniversary. Do you think she would mind if I took her to Sonic for our dinner? :rolleyes:
Realy though we were talking about doing something different and fun. Like a quick dinner and hitting the miniature golf. Hey, it was not my idea. I'ed rather order pizza and work on the boat. :D Happy anniversary babe, can you hand me that 9/16" wrench argue :D

Sleek-Jet
02-27-2003, 10:20 PM
I almost forgot, Sonic's onion rings are killer! :cool:

Beautiful Noise
02-28-2003, 08:55 AM
superdave013:
I'd rather order pizza and work on the boat. D [/QB]SuperDave, Like you said there is always something happening to keep you from working on the Boat wink wink
Steve

Blown 472
02-28-2003, 09:00 AM
MMMMMM sonic, jalopeno burger and cherry ice drink. :D

ROZ
02-28-2003, 09:55 AM
NashvilleBound,
There use to be a Sonic on Oceanside, but I Think it closed. It was on Mission just west of the 5.
The DQ on El Norte Parkway is still open. It's in the Vons Shopping center just east of center city pkwy. I'm not sure what part of VC you are located, but I know it's about 8 min from the base of cougar pass....Driving like a starved maniac of course :D

RiverTime69
02-28-2003, 10:24 AM
Hey Nashville,
I think you need to take a road trip with the fam and head to Laughlin...There's a Sonic in BHC right across the water...BlackJack, Burgers, a shake of the dice, and a Banana Cream Shake to go!!!

jet4fun
02-28-2003, 10:43 AM
hey jeff, i think you're out of luck... here's a link to sonic's website, there is a store locator on the top of the page: http://www.sonicdrivein.com/
here's a link to anaheim's own website: http://sonicburger.com/
i did a search and it looks like the closest location is either anaheim, or yuma arizona :D ... on a funny side note, i did a search from my place and is shows that there are 10 locations in bakersfield jawdrop who the hell is making the business decisions for sonic :confused: :confused: :confused:

Seadog
02-28-2003, 10:59 AM
The very first Sonic was here in Stillwater. I used to go there before they tore it down and built the new one. We now have two. They are based in Oklahoma. What I like is the tater tots and the breakfast toasters. The sandwiches are not bad if you get the toaster versions. My wife likes the chili cheese coneys and we both love to go there late for a Route 44 limeade. I can't believe someone hasn't heard of Sonic after all the commercials that Frankie Avalon made.

Liberator TJ1984
02-28-2003, 11:53 AM
Nearby Corpus Christi,Tx. has 2 Sonics still in business thru all these years and have not changed hardly at all :D there is a big one on one of the main drags..The last Friday of every month they have a BIG Rod Run and get together ,Street Legal or not..( Cops are Cool -free food for them ) :p
Cars, Boats,Bikers, all have a good time and they like cut Prices in half for the food for everyone else.Sometimes food may not be that great,but it's the stuff I grew up on and still remember as a kid being a special treat to go there. :D

NashvilleBound
02-28-2003, 12:50 PM
Catching up on all the posts have confirmed a road trip to Anaheim tomorrow. I even think well hit it going then again coming back home.
Roz: DQ is just not the same...Skeepwerkzaz had it right, the Chocolate cream pie shake is da BOMB!
MJ: We would never head your direction without first telling you.
Jet4Fun: Thanks for the links. Your right, Anaheim is the closest. And we definitely need to talk to corporate and ask whats up with the San Diego area lacking of Sonics.
RiverTimes69: I think were on the same page :)
SuperDave....I dont think she'll mind. Tell her I said it was ok :rolleyes: I am sure that will work! smile_sp

Ziggy
02-28-2003, 12:51 PM
The sonic here in Oceanside closed years ago, just a few blocks from my Business. Try the local grown burgers here in Oceanside at Angelos. 3 locations right here on the Coast Highway! Fries aren't to bad either....but then again, I don't eat this stuff anymore :confused: To old now and don't wanna die to early, got many years of boating/duning to do :p

ROZ
02-28-2003, 03:49 PM
Ziggy:
The sonic here in Oceanside closed years ago, just a few blocks from my Business. Try the local grown burgers here in Oceanside at Angelos. 3 locations right here on the Coast Highway! Fries aren't to bad either....but then again, I don't eat this stuff anymore :confused: To old now and don't wanna die to early, got many years of boating/duning to do :p I can vouch for Angelos....Good stuff. Use to go there after I Surfed at the point behind the Academy there just south of the lagoon.
Another good one is George Burgers near Palomar College in San Marcos.

Ziggy
02-28-2003, 04:14 PM
ROZ
Another good one is George Burgers near Palomar College in San Marcos. [/QB]George's Rocks! To bad they're gonna move it with the new freeway exits that are gonna get built there. Think it'll loose some of its character with the move.

Seadog
02-28-2003, 04:25 PM
Does anyone remember the little plastic monkeys they use to put on the drinks? My wife and I use to collect them when we dated.
Sonic is not going to be the greatest food on earth and Braums is my favorite hamburger, but Sonic has something that you can't always pin down. Most of the driveins have gone, but Sonic thrives.

NashvilleBound
02-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Yep, When were in TN we go out @4 times a week in the summer about 10 or 11pm. Still nice and warm out and, as long as the city has kept up on mosquito spraying, we'll sit down for an hour or so and enjoy some shakes and good friends. Can't wait till June....