PDA

View Full Version : AVI resort to Havasu sandbar

el_jefe
02-10-2003, 06:40 PM
Is there a route from AVI resort to Havasu sandbar, and if so. Will a 21 ft jet boat make it there and back on 40 gallons of fuel.

SK48
02-10-2003, 06:58 PM
Just straight down river and back. Not real tough navigation. You can always get more fuel at Park Moabi near the I-40 bridge if 40 gallons won't do. I've gone from Lake Havasu to Avi in my Hallett and fuel was never an issue, but it is a v-drive.

25Elmn8r
02-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Getting from the AVI to sandbar is a piece of cake. You will probably want to pick up some fuel at Park Moabi or Topock just to make sure you have enough. Take it from me, it's not fun running out of gas down river!!!!!
[ February 10, 2003, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: 25Elmn8r ]

Her454
02-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Speaking from experience, and the driver of a jet, get gas...it sucks to run out downriver, period. eek!

ACCEPTENCE
02-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Sure...it's no problem, take off and go, you'll be fine, don't sweat it, have fun :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jm2drvr
02-10-2003, 08:40 PM
I don't know about the water level, even for a jet. I was there a few weeks back, and above needles it looked pretty dicey. Water level even lower this month than when I was there in Jan...be careful.

25Elmn8r
02-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Her454:
Speaking from experience, and the driver of a jet, get gas...it sucks to run out downriver, period. eek! Her454, I am speaking from experience too!!! It totally sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rivercrazy
02-10-2003, 08:50 PM
What motor and impeller do you have? I had a 21 Shockwave with a 454 Mag and an A impeller and made that trek without getting gas numerous times (cruising at about 3200-3600 rpm).
If you don't screw around skiing too much, you should be able to make that trip without refueling. However, its always safe to make a gas stop! There are 3 decent places to get gas. Needles Marina, Park Moabi, and Golden Shores Marina (Topok). Its always easier to get gas on the way down than back up cause the gas stations close early (like 430-5pm).
From the Avi to Needles bridge there are a few rock bars to watch out for. When the water is up, your good to go but below about 12,500 cfm, watch out for them. There are about 4-5 to keep an eye out for and are mostly on the California side of the river. They are easy to spot.
You can check for flows at www.coloradoriverinfo.com (http://www.coloradoriverinfo.com)
Just remember advertised flows are peak flows that typically occur later in the day.
BTW - Thats a great ride so enjoy it.
[ February 10, 2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: rivercrazy ]

sandblasted
02-10-2003, 09:29 PM
We do a needles to sandbar trip and back a couple times a summer, 21ft jet...My fuel tanks (36 gallons)are pushing empty by the time I get back to Needles, but I usually go WOT there and back......Take everyone's advice..stop for fuel in topock if you want to make it all the way to the Avi.
the river from Needles to Avi is not bad at all for a jet...stay away from the California side..there are alot of submerged trees and stumps.

Windy
02-10-2003, 10:21 PM
You will definitely have to stop and get gas. Its a fun ride through the gorge when you put the hammer down :D

NEW 2 RIVER
02-11-2003, 04:17 AM
From Avi to Needles everytime I have gone that way water level has always been kind of scary.Depends on how deep your hull is.From Needles to Sandbar very nice ride and all deep water.40 gallons of gas roundtrip would be close.
One awesome ride though and well worth it :D

OOfatso
02-11-2003, 06:33 AM
25Elmn8r:
Getting from the AVI to sandbar is a piece of cake. You will probably want to pick up some fuel at Park Moabi or Topock just to make sure you have enough. Take it from me, it's not fun running out of gas down river!!!!! Heads Up to Everyone!!!!!!
The last time I spoke with my good friend (He owns the Marina at Park Moabi) the state has shut down his gas tanks because of some new goverment law and he is waiting for someone to step up to the plate and fix them so they pass...Actually the goverment is supposed to be the ones that would be paying to fix it but they havent done it yet....so this means "No Gas" so be carefull.
If anyone knows different please let me know ASAP!
"OO"fatso
:D

Charley
02-11-2003, 09:02 AM
It's true NO gas at Moabi......and whats worse is the rumour mill about Topock's water in the gas issues may have bitten my ass last trip when my lil 70 HP Outboard may have been the victim of BAD GAS....... yep she ceased on the way back from the sand bar loaded with 3 kids and 4 adults...... huge bummer......now I have no defenitive proof that there is water in Topocks gas, and I know the are addressing some of the"DOCK" problems but a 1994 Johnson outboard, that was pissing good water,had oil in the tank and was spitting smoke and had a working alarm......well they just rarely die unless something like water in the tank occurs... :mad:
I have no proof, but Just be careful....... is there an agency we can get involved and test the tanks so no one else gets screwed?

bordsmnj
02-11-2003, 09:13 AM
are neeedles marina and park moab the same placer and how many places can i by gas on the water at needles? I remeber the place i used to stop at by sight but not by name. just curious.
thank you.

HavasuDreamin'
02-11-2003, 09:25 AM
NEW 2 RIVER:
From Needles to Sandbar very nice ride, 40 gallons of gas roundtrip would be close.
:D eek! eek! 40 Gallons? Dang.....the suck boats are expensive. My Hi-Po O/B would make it there and back on less than 20 gallons.....running pretty hard too. :p

Skaterfast
02-11-2003, 09:43 AM
Ya baby.Outboards kick ass.I was waiting for one of the outboard guys to chime in.Hey HD I went from the London Bridge to Avi and back on 36 galons.Gotta love them Mercs.

HavasuDreamin'
02-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Skaterfast:
Ya baby.Outboards kick ass.I was waiting for one of the outboard guys to chime in.Hey HD I went from the London Bridge to Avi and back on 36 galons.Gotta love them Mercs. Yeah, I am thinking Needles to the Sandbar and back wideopen would be around 15 gallons or so! :D

Cantrip
02-11-2003, 10:19 AM
I think the v-drive guys have the upper hand here, I know some guys at 50 mph are at around 2000 rpms, talk about economy.

Skaterfast
02-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Not a chance.You can't touch outboards for fuel efeciency.Dont forget that V-drive at 2000 rpm is probably somewhere around 500 cubic inches,where as the outboards are around 150-200.

25Elmn8r
02-11-2003, 05:55 PM
bordsmnj:
are neeedles marina and park moab the same placer and how many places can i by gas on the water at needles? I remeber the place i used to stop at by sight but not by name. just curious.
thank you. Park Moabi and Needles marina are NOT the same place. Park Moabi is just up river from the I40 bridge or the North entrance into Topock Gorge on the Cali side. Needles Marina is (if memory serves me right) another 12-13 miles up river from there. I have run from the Avi to Sandbar many times in my gas guzzling jet boat. I have even run from the Avi to Havasu and back a few times. The trips to Havasu would burn a 20 gallon tank just before entering the channel. We would fill up in Havasu before heading back. On the way back we would usually burn 30 gallons. Now this was usually skiing from Needles to Moabi and vice-versa on the way back. You could easily just cruise and burn alot less fuel, but what fun is that?
Anybody know the true distance from Moabi to Needles?

SK48
02-11-2003, 07:00 PM
I have outboards and inboards both. It takes less fuel in my 21' v-drive cruiser than the outboards.
I can run at 35 to 40 mph at 2100 to 2200 rpm. I can do Havasu (bridge area) to Needles marine park and back on 20 to 25 gallons. My 19' outboard with a V6 uses more. Maintaince on the outboard is less.

sandblasted
02-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Cantrip:
I think the v-drive guys have the upper hand here, I know some guys at 50 mph are at around 2000 rpms, talk about economy. That fuel economy suddenly becomes meaningless when you hit a sandbar or submerged rock at 40mph and lose that $500 stainless steel prop! :D

INFINITEJJ
02-11-2003, 09:24 PM
25Elmn8r:
Anybody know the true distance from Moabi to Needles? Just looked on the GPS its 10 miles from mouth of marina to mouth of marina as the river flows.

JetBoatRich
02-11-2003, 09:29 PM
INFINITEJJ:
25Elmn8r:
Anybody know the true distance from Moabi to Needles? Just looked on the GPS its 10 miles from mouth of marina to mouth of marina as the river flows. Just can't get an answer to a simple question frown