PDA

View Full Version : Death at the Sandbar

H20Advantage
07-21-2003, 06:15 AM
Todays Havasu Herald:
Man dead after fight on Lake Havasu Sandbar
By Matthew Bunk
TodayÂ’s News-Herald
A man died after a fight Saturday afternoon at the Sandbar on Lake Havasu.
One man from Ontario, Calif., was arrested in connection with the incident, although authorities have not said what he will be charged with. The suspectÂ’s name and age also had not been released Sunday night.
Mohave County SheriffÂ’s deputies responded to a report of an assault at the Sandbar, a popular hangout just less than ten miles northwest of Lake Havasu City. They arrived on the scene at about 3:15 p.m., according to a short statement issued Saturday night by the sheriffÂ’s office.
The victim was taken to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, where he was pronounced dead, according to the statement.
No other details had been made available Sunday night. A sheriffÂ’s spokesman said he did not know if the victim was from Lake Havasu City.
“Unfortunately, I’ve got nothing to add to that,” said Jarrod Lyman, MCSO spokesman.
According to witnesses, the victim had multiple lacerations on his body after the incident, and rescue personnel appeared to apply pressure to a head wound as they waited for a helicopter to arrive.
The victim was transported to shore on a rescue boat, and paramedics carried him on a stretcher to the helicopter, which had landed on a nearby bluff, the witnesses said.
Authorities questioned several people nearby who may have witnessed the alleged assault.
It is not clear whether the victim died at the hospital or during transport.

THOR
07-21-2003, 06:20 AM
H20Advantage:
Todays Havasu Herald:
Man dead after fight on Lake Havasu Sandbar
By Matthew Bunk
TodayÂ’s News-Herald
A man died after a fight Saturday afternoon at the Sandbar on Lake Havasu.
One man from Ontario, Calif., was arrested in connection with the incident, although authorities have not said what he will be charged with. The suspectÂ’s name and age also had not been released Sunday night.
Mohave County SheriffÂ’s deputies responded to a report of an assault at the Sandbar, a popular hangout just less than ten miles northwest of Lake Havasu City. They arrived on the scene at about 3:15 p.m., according to a short statement issued Saturday night by the sheriffÂ’s office.
The victim was taken to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, where he was pronounced dead, according to the statement.
No other details had been made available Sunday night. A sheriffÂ’s spokesman said he did not know if the victim was from Lake Havasu City.
“Unfortunately, I’ve got nothing to add to that,” said Jarrod Lyman, MCSO spokesman.
According to witnesses, the victim had multiple lacerations on his body after the incident, and rescue personnel appeared to apply pressure to a head wound as they waited for a helicopter to arrive.
The victim was transported to shore on a rescue boat, and paramedics carried him on a stretcher to the helicopter, which had landed on a nearby bluff, the witnesses said.
Authorities questioned several people nearby who may have witnessed the alleged assault.
It is not clear whether the victim died at the hospital or during transport. Are you kidding? What is there to fight about? Or die for?
That is a tragedy.

burbanite
07-21-2003, 06:24 AM
http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001977

ACCEPTENCE
07-21-2003, 02:38 PM
I was there till about 4:00p.m. and seemed to miss all the ruckus.
I'll bet just a small bit of alcohol was involved.

Charley
07-21-2003, 02:56 PM
we left the sandbar before this happend but my neighbor who stayed told me a guy had got beaten badly with a baseball bat. He said he had some serious looking injuries....this is bullshit imho ... the river shouldn't come to this EVER

SVO 540
07-21-2003, 03:09 PM
The fight was two boats away from where we were parked. The two guys were friends and I think they were from the same boat. When the fight broke out, all I could see was the group of people that gathered around the fight. I walked over to look at the guy. He was laying face down and his face was very swollen, He was bleeding bad from the mouth. The police arrived on the sceen about 15 or 20 minutes after the fight. The guy that killed the man was a mess. He was freeking out at what he had just done. This sandbar sceen is terrible. I pray for the victims families.

H20Advantage
07-21-2003, 03:18 PM
Friends like that you can live without. Whats with people these days...to many cartoons were you shoot and beat the guy and then they get right back up. Basic kindergarden rules...Keep your hands and your feet to yourselves. We all could get along much better this way.
Life is to short to have some asshole **** it up.

JetBoatRich
07-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Friends, that is hard to believe. :D
:mad: :mad:
Better choose different friends when they do this kind of crap to you or other friends.

Rexone
07-21-2003, 05:14 PM
Does anyone here think that the violence in video games, movies, etc that kids these days are brought up on for a large part ends up contributing to this type of shit getting acted out in real life, where people just think their invincible tough guys? I'm just curious on your views, not trying to start any shit. Personally I do think its a factor as I never heard about anything beyond an occasional fist fight between young people growing up.

vdrivenman
07-21-2003, 05:32 PM
there are documented facts as to the influence of video games and violence of today. it is espically noticable in school shootings.
where the actors shoot anyone and anything that moves. they continue to shoot until they run out of ammo or all the targets are dead.
the kill to shots fired ratio acheived by video players is far more accurate than most leo's and professional shooters.
there are even games where u can insert the persons face and name in and make them your target.
The major reason is the devalue of a HUMAN LIFE
where the basic TEN commmandments are no longer taught.no respect for a human life !

mike37
07-21-2003, 05:39 PM
Rexone:
Does anyone here think that the violence in video games, movies, etc that kids these days are brought up on for a large part ends up contributing to this type of shit getting acted out in real life, where people just think their invincible tough guys? I'm just curious on your views, not trying to start any shit. Personally I do think its a factor as I never heard about anything beyond an occasional fist fight between young people growing up. Without parents guidance (yes)
But if you teach your kid to know the difference(no)

BUSTI
07-21-2003, 05:42 PM
No video games, TV and the media have nothing to do with it. it is a complete abandonment of civil standards and a lack of respect for other people that has brought us to where we are today. when kids grow up thinking that teachers are assholes and their parents will sue the schools for any dicipline at all and that all cops are assholes and that anything goes as long as it makes makes you feel good. thats what has brought us to where we are today. In Japan they have very violent movies and books yet very little personal crime against other people. Why they have maintained personal standards and a respect for each other as well as some bodies elses property.
Also in our country we are more interested in the rights of the criminal than the victims he has created. How many repeat offenders are there walking amongst us? How many week ass liberal judges that are more interested in the feelings of the murder than those he murdered or their families. how many lib ass pukes are against the the death penalty?
What does it say to those that would kill us that we think more of the murders than those they have murdered? Every lib judge ACLU commie weak ass lib bastard that trys to dimantle our Judeo Christian values in America of personal
responsibility, property rights and honesty can be thanked for the lack of decency in young people today. Is it so hard to say what you mean and do what you say? Is it so hard to teach your children to never want anything they haven't earned? Is it so hard to teach kids not to be liars? Is it so hard to teach kids not to steal? How hard is it to teach our kids self control? Is it difficult to act with dignity and courtesy to others and that all people should be treated kindly?
For those of you that have kids and for those of you on these that want to have kids...remember your kids want to be like you!!!! What part of you do you want them to be like? Be the example. And when a society values a 16 year old girls right to kill her 4 month old baby in the womb greater than the babies life it self don't be suprised when your kids grow up having no respect for life at all let alone somebodies else's property

vdrivenman
07-21-2003, 05:47 PM
BUSTI,
i totally agree with you on everything but the vidoes & tv. we see so much of it and at an early age that we are not sensitive to violence or death. we are numb to the facts !

Irishluck
07-21-2003, 05:54 PM
When I hear stories like this it bothers me. No respect for human life anymore. I can't tell you how many times I have witnessed fights only to turn in to 4 on 1 or even 7 on 1. I guess what bothers me most about this story was all the people watching it go on. They should of just broken it up but instead they just watched some poor guy get beaten to death. The river is about fun not brawling.

MagicMtnDan
07-21-2003, 06:53 PM
Another example that's in the news...about the Baylor basketball player - was just arrested today for shooting/killing his teammate:
"According to an earlier search warrant affidavit, an unidentified informant reported to Delaware authorities that Dotson told a cousin he shot Dennehy as the two argued while shooting 9mm guns in the Waco area. Friends have said Dennehy and Dotson told them they bought guns because they had been threatened."
By who, each other? That's f'd up!
[ July 21, 2003, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: MagicMtnDan ]

sam pioske
07-21-2003, 07:22 PM
I go 100% with busti's comments

DUCKY
07-21-2003, 08:16 PM
mike37:
Rexone:
Does anyone here think that the violence in video games, movies, etc that kids these days are brought up on for a large part ends up contributing to this type of shit getting acted out in real life, where people just think their invincible tough guys? I'm just curious on your views, not trying to start any shit. Personally I do think its a factor as I never heard about anything beyond an occasional fist fight between young people growing up. Without parents guidance (yes)
But if you teach your kid to know the difference(no) Just what I was thinking!

cigarette1
07-21-2003, 08:16 PM
Damn gangs ...... they're everywhere starting shit
:rolleyes:

gigamurph
07-21-2003, 09:27 PM
Sad day for not just the boating world, but the world in general. It's a sad commentary to what we have become as the "superior craeture" on this litle planet we share. I have always said that this planet would be a GREAT place to live if it wasn't for human beings, self included. We are given such a grand gift and we continue to muck it up; all the way from littering to disrespect for our fellow human beings to this kind of thing! Sad, sad day! God bless the family of the victim and may God have mercy on the person who committed this despicable act. :(
,,,,,and busti, I am in concurrence with you on your post and then some. I do not believe that our media plays big a part in shaping our society as we do as parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, brothers, sisters, or anmyone else who has a place of influence, which is each and every one of us. My parents never looked to the media, schools, or anyone else to raise me and my Brother and teach us from right and wrong; and I followed suit. While I'm not a perfect Father or Grandfather,I do my best to guide my family in ways that will lend to them respecting others and only to REact and not act. Talk first, run if you must, and fight only if ya have to.
I apologize for my .02 turning into $2 and my ramblings.

J540
07-21-2003, 09:38 PM
ABOUT THE VIDEO GAME/MOVIE COMMENTS...I WAS THERE...THESE GUYS WERE BEYOND THE AGE OF KNOWING WHAT'S REALITY AND NOT.
IT ALL COMES DOWN TO TOO MUCH ALCOHOL (SOME DRUGS) AT THESE PLACES & FRIENDS LETTING THINGS GET WAY OUT OF HAND. THE GUY WHO CLOCKED THE OTHER GUY, WHO ENDED UP DYING, WAS PROBABLY NOT TRYING TO KILL THE GUY - HE JUST HIT HIM TOO HARD.
THE KEY IS TO BE COOL AND GO WITH THE FLOW AT THESE KINDS OF PLACES. IF YOU DON'T LIKE SOMETHING THAT'S GOING ON & YOU DON'T WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE GAMES, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
IT'S A SAD SITUATION THAT NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED AND I FEEL FOR ALL INVOLVED.

NEW 2 RIVER
07-21-2003, 09:49 PM
Wow Busti your comments are right on target?
when these punks cause trouble there seems to be nothing in the back of there mind in regards to punishment that makes them think twice.

Doug H.
07-21-2003, 10:43 PM
This is a truely sad day for the families and all involved, the movie thing with kids and or adults acting out from what they see is for real. i teach special education kids and more then once did i have to protect my life but our students also, (the details are to long) we ask them "who taught you this" they said "the video games" what does that tell you the parents are doing, letting little jonny play to occupy his time cause mom has had enough of him for the day. this is a very sore subject and i can go on and on. my kids don't play video games, they play outside. i coach H.S. football and some players come to practice late, for what we ask "we had to finish our game" that's bullshit, you disrepected your teamates and coaches and obviously you don't give a shit about life and responsibilies (on and on) that's the problem today "we are invincible" and don't respect others or thier property, not to say a little alcohol helps in 110deg. heat.. that's why i don't drink or do drugs, it might cost you your life, better yet my families life, it's not worth the buzz but it's worth the time with the family and friends and being safe for another day to enjoy boats, girls, scenery, fishing, clean air (chanel)the hole spectrum folks..."do unto others as you would want done unto you" -IT'S ALL about RESPECT- :D :D :D :D

FryJet
07-21-2003, 11:52 PM
Doud H. not meaning any disrespect but what kind of special education are we talking about? Mentaly disabled or something more along the lines of HADD or ADD? Both can be considered and put into what we call special education but they are two total different deals.
What raelly pisses me of about some of todays parents is the total lack of authority. Im sorry but when I was a kid and I did something really wrong I didnt get a time out, I got a knock out and I learned the difference that way, not the staring into a corner crap. They say "Oh, he's just acting out, he'll grow out of it". My ass, if the kid is 8 yrs old and sockin other kids then the parents need to take immediate action, punishment, grounding etc. If a parent cant teach a child the difference between real life and make-believe then there is something very wrong with either the parents or child.
The guy who did this had some real bad issues and if you say "you dont know the whole story" well I can tell you that I know the difference between poppin somebody in the mouth and beating somebody to death. That is what my parents tought me and common sense does the rest.
Im going out on a limb here but I would say this guy either had serious issues OR illegal substances in his system, either way he needs to be PUNISHED to the fullest extent of the law and yes I do believe in the death panalty. An action as severe as this would make him go straight to to the row, no first or second strike, hell, this guy went way past third so let his ass fry as far as im concerned because he absolutely knew what he was doing and now he needs to suffer the conciquences.
Chris
Oh ya, I grew up on video games and my parents let me know Donkey Kong couldnt really hurt me but I still think Ms. Pac-Man was a *****, she was allways making eyes at Blinky wink

Essex502
07-22-2003, 06:13 AM
The video games and movies, by themselves, don't cause the problem but letting impressionable children play or watch them does, in my opinion. Parents are using video games and television (have been for decades) as pseudo babysitters. The parents are not involved with this form of "entertainment" to a sufficient level thus the children become numb to the violence. They also begin to act it out as they believe it is acceptable behaviour. This is even true of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for little children. The kids go around "hacking" karate chops at each other. This behaviour is antisocial. Parents smile and say..."Oh, look, little Bobby is sooo cute!" Bull$hit! It's the beginning of the antisocial behaviour. Also, the average time in front of video games and tv is up to 4 hours per day (yesterday's released statistics on obesity). Don't you think that the children of a generation ago that had to learn how to deal with each other when playing outside were better adjusted than the brats that are left to learn social interaction from tv and video games? I do.
Another example...rising accidents in the SF Valley involving street racing activities coincidentally (?) after the release of 2 Fast 2 Furious. Are these licensed drivers children? No. Media has an effect.

Blown 472
07-22-2003, 06:16 AM
Essex502:
The video games and movies, by themselves, don't cause the problem but letting impressionable children play or watch them does, in my opinion. Parents are using video games and television (have been for decades) as pseudo babysitters. The parents are not involved with this form of "entertainment" to a sufficient level thus the children become numb to the violence. They also begin to act it out as they believe it is acceptable behaviour. This is even true of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for little children. The kids go around "hacking" karate chops at each other. This behaviour is antisocial. Parents smile and say..."Oh, look, little Bobby is sooo cute!" Bull$hit! It's the beginning of the antisocial behaviour. Also, the average time in front of video games and tv is up to 4 hours per day (yesterday's released statistics on obesity). Don't you think that the children of a generation ago that had to learn how to deal with each other when playing outside were better adjusted than the brats that are left to learn social interaction from tv and video games? I do.
Another example...rising accidents in the SF Valley involving street racing activities coincidentally (?) after the release of 2 Fast 2 Furious. Are these licensed drivers children? No. Media has an effect. Very well said.

anxious
07-22-2003, 10:07 AM
the past five weeks ive heard too many terrible stories related to alcohol. this is the second death i have heard of friends killing each other cause of alcohol and four different incidents of best friends full on fist fighting each other. Nobody i know but just plain stupidity. To much drama from people drinking. frown