PDA

View Full Version : Another sad boating story

carreraelite
06-09-2003, 10:40 AM
A daylong search came to an end late Sunday afternoon when crews found the body of a man who had been missing since his boat capsized on Lake Pleasant early Sunday morning.
The "Sparky Beer 1," which capsized early Sunday morning, was pulled from the water later in the day. The emergency call came in about 1 a.m. According to Sgt. Paul Chagolla of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, the 18-foot bass boat started taking on water after the boat's anchor tether got caught in the propeller, causing the boat's bow to dip below the water's surface.
Seven people, five of them children ranging in age from 3 to 16, were rescued. An eighth person, Sinforiano Patino, turned up missing. Rescue crews spent the day scouring the area where the boat had been. They finally recovered the body of the 52-year-old man late in the afternoon.
Investigators have many questions, including why the boat, which was not designed to carry eight people, only had two life preservers on board. What's more nobody on the boat knew how to swim.
In addition, authorities are looking into evidence that might indicate that the 40-year-old driver of the boat, one of the adults who was rescued, had been drinking. At this point, it's still not clear is alcohol was a factor in the accident

roln 20s
06-09-2003, 10:45 AM
I hate hearing stories like this- and that happened at my home lake. I have witnessed a couple times how fast a boat can sink and times can change- all of us need to take an extra second to think. My thoughts are with the victim.
Roln 20s

Boozer
06-09-2003, 10:47 AM
carreraelite:
A daylong search came to an end late Sunday afternoon when crews found the body of a man who had been missing since his boat capsized on Lake Pleasant early Sunday morning.
The "Sparky Beer 1," which capsized early Sunday morning, was pulled from the water later in the day. The emergency call came in about 1 a.m. According to Sgt. Paul Chagolla of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, the 18-foot bass boat started taking on water after the boat's anchor tether got caught in the propeller, causing the boat's bow to dip below the water's surface.
Seven people, five of them children ranging in age from 3 to 16, were rescued. An eighth person, Sinforiano Patino, turned up missing. Rescue crews spent the day scouring the area where the boat had been. They finally recovered the body of the 52-year-old man late in the afternoon.
Investigators have many questions, including why the boat, which was not designed to carry eight people, only had two life preservers on board. What's more nobody on the boat knew how to swim.
In addition, authorities are looking into evidence that might indicate that the 40-year-old driver of the boat, one of the adults who was rescued, had been drinking. At this point, it's still not clear is alcohol was a factor in the accident That's got to be one of the most moronic things I have ever heard in my life.
Why do people do such stupid things? 8 people on a bass boat?? 2 life jackets?? The driver of this boat needs to get his ass grilled for doing this. Because of his stupidity a man is dead and several others could have died. I really hope they bust this guys ass hard to set an example for other potential morons.

carreraelite
06-09-2003, 10:47 AM
There is a pic of the boat here:
http://www.riverracerx.com/cgi-bin/mb/ikonboard.cgi?s=3ee4a77759cdb57a;act=ST;f=2;t=1851

HavasuDreamin'
06-09-2003, 10:48 AM
Sorry to hear about that. :( On the flip side, you have to sit back and ask yourself WTF? Eight people on a 18' bass boat? :confused: Only two life jackets? :confused: Many didn't know how to swim? :confused: All of this while on the lake at 1:00 AM? :confused:

mbrown2
06-09-2003, 10:50 AM
All the wrong circumstances ends up with terrible news like the above...very sad.

FreddieB81
06-09-2003, 10:54 AM
Can someone post the picture in this thread?
RRX is blocked by work :mad:

carreraelite
06-09-2003, 11:05 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=20109
[ June 09, 2003, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: carreraelite ]

FreddieB81
06-09-2003, 11:08 AM
Thanks, carerra.

HavasuDreamin'
06-09-2003, 11:10 AM
OMG.............that boat is even smaller than I thought? Looks like a 16'er. What was the owner thinking? :confused: Four people would be cramped on that thing....let alone eight!

Dusty Times
06-09-2003, 11:29 AM
I see one seat. Three if you count the ice chests. And on the news the boat looke like it was an aluminum flat bottom with 12" sides. It looked like it could fill with water if you stood too close to the edge.
The name on the side tells a pretty good story.
I feel for the victim and the family though.

gnarley
06-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Darwin Strikes again, but the wrong guy may not have been the victim.

HAULNZ
06-09-2003, 12:05 PM
How sad. I can't believe somebody would put that boat with that many people on it on Pleasant. Pleasant is very windy at times and has a lot of large boats. Kids not wearing life vests makes me just as pissed as seeing kids riding in cars without being in a car seat. burningm

Jungle Boy
06-09-2003, 01:30 PM
It's sad but just how many folks here wear life jackets on your average day at the lake. I don't do much lake boating but when ever I have, I've NEVER seen any of the adult friends wearing life jackets. They are stored under this seat or that seat or stuffed up under the bow. Has anyone tried to put a life jacket on while in the water. It's very hard. The kids do wear them, I have to say that. We pull up in our jet boat and they look at me like I'm ****ing crazy to be wearing one. Now, when we are on the river doing the "whitewater" jetboating, everyone wears them. It's just habit. Just my opinion, but most lake boaters don't ever think that anything will happen, which is nuts, cause with all teh new boaters and jetski ****s out there, it's a dangerous place. eek!

HOSS
06-09-2003, 03:41 PM
That`s not a bass boat! That`s a flat boat. And some idiot had 8 people in it? I can`t see jck shit causing the bow to dip below the water line. I had a 16` extra wide. I would have had to have 4 grown men stand on the frontand maybe it would go under. And that motor! I had a `78 75 horse Evinrude on mine. There is no way this could have happenned. I`m sorry but this story is bullshit.
How could a tether from an anchor getting wrapped up in the prop cause the bow to dive and that extreme. No way. These boats are very hard to sink. Ride like shit in chop but no way.
Bass boat. Jesus H. Christ. What do you call a ranger or bullet? An offshore racer? argue

carreraelite
06-09-2003, 08:58 PM
I think part of the info is wrong. They said that the anchor line got caught in the prop,so I beleave that it wasn't the bow that went under but the aft. You have to remember that it's being reported by someone that may not know anything about boats. They showed a pic. on the T.V. news that showed a rope wrapped around the prop.

Wet Dream
06-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Sad story, hate to hear it. But I'm leaning toward a bad report of the story, and the aft area went down causing it to flood or the prop grabbed the anchor line and acted like a winch pulling the transom down, raising the bow and the passengers slid off. I'm not trying to defend what happened, but some boats (like mine) have a weight only rating, not a person limit. From the sounds of it, the operator didn't follow any boating rules with only 2 lifejackets on board.