PDA

View Full Version : ***boats and Rollercoasters

Trailer Park Casanova
10-07-2003, 04:49 PM
We used to boat in San Diego around Ski Island. Nice place.
Staying at the Bahia Hotel with it's own beach, ya felt like you were the only guests there. At night,, romantic,, fun,, a great place ya never read about.
The PWC's ran us off.
You could all tell me the same PWC stories so I'll spare you mine.
When there, after a day of boating, we loved to visit Pacific Beach watering holes.
The Coaster Saloon, and the Pennant my favorite (gotta mention the ol Tugs too).
We'd always pass an abandon, delapidating, seaside wooden roller coaster, The Giant Dipper.
It hadn't seen any riders in years, maybe decades, was fenced off,,, falling apart, winos starting fires and almost burning it down. Sad site.
The same thoughts went through my head every time we passed it; Man, it would be so cool to restore it and get it running again.
I caught a little story in the local fishrap mentioning a group determined to buy the Giant Dipper, and restore it.
That was it,, I was in.
The people leading this effort were awsum charismatic leaders. Ya just fell into lock step and we steamrolled any effort to defeat us.
The rollercoaster was owned by a guy that owed the City of San Diego $100,000 in back rent. The city attny shut down any business adventure this guy got into until they recieved their 100G's.
The leaders of the effort to restore the coaster convinced the city to forgive the rent if the owner would sign the coaster over to the group for restoration, and the City would own the end result. They also secured 2 million in historical site restoration funds from some backwater, unknown to most, gov't agency.
The city, and the dead beat owner jumped on the deal.
I can't take any credit other than being a volunteer laborer and helping out with some fund raising before the big money was secured. I wrote some stories for their newsletter that amazingly got me marriage proposals in the mail. I had fun.
When things wern't looking to bright,, we all had a picnic at the coaster, and started to clean it up.
We went into the first tunnel, and found a door that we got opened and there were the coaster trains, sitting on moveable track.
Did we push them out and up a hill on the track and ride them???? Hell yes,, and what a blast.
Bunch of drunks riding a beat up coaster in the night. No seat belts, no lap bars, just beer, sandwitches and cigarettes in our hands.
Amazing we survived it.
Once restoration began,, it was decided to build a little museum alongside the coaster.
The coaster was built in the mid 1920's by two guys named Prior and Church. Prior the designer and engineer, Church the builder.
These guys were sharp,, and wooden roller coasters today used their innovations that were first used in San Diego.
I did a search and found who the construction foreman on the job was. In 1925 he pulled the $188 dollar building permit. He was a guy named Fred C. Koth, from Van Nuys Calif.
I thought,, Hummmm, maybe Koth had some surviving kin that may have a picture or two,, or some knowledge of the coasters construction.
I picked up the phone book,, and found a Fred Koth jr. in Van Nuys. Long shot,,, maybe a son.
I dialed the number and a little ladys voice came on the phone and I asked for Fred. She asked what it was about. I asked if he was the son of the guy that built roller coasters along the Calif coast in the 1920's?
She said: "No,, he IS the guy,, they had no sons."
She put him on the phone,, I told him my tale and he invited me over to talk.
What a character. When I arrived,, he was with a neighbor his age (mid 90's), and they were splitting shingles,, soaking them in some solution,, drying them,, then fixing their roofs.
The neighbor was a bit part actor that used to appear in WC Fields movies. He played the bank clerk in the movie " The Bank Dick", and the ships engineer in the WC Fields movie; "The Big Broadcast".
These ol Jaspers were fixing their own roofs.
Koth went on to the studios to be in charge of the Universal Studios Special Effects Dept after his coaster gig and was one of the funniest guys I've ever met.
A wealth of knowledge on the coaster.
Sharp as a new razor with info,,, like he just finished building it. (It was built in 60 days).
[ October 08, 2003, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

Trailer Park Casanova
10-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Sorry about the typos above. My computer started mis firing, so I posted, then came back and corrected my bad sentence structure, typo errors, inaccuracies,,, and annoying mis-pronouncing.
-Ross

10-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Good story, Thanks

RiverToysJas
10-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Here's a hot boat on a rollercoaster....
http://www.op6c.com/images/fun_images/rd_magic1a.jpg
RTJas :D

JetBoatRich
10-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Nice story, do love to ride the roller coasters :D

NorCal Gameshow
10-07-2003, 05:36 PM
http://infodome.sdsu.edu/about/depts/spcollections/exhibits/0602/images/missionbeach.jpg
NICE!!!!

Mandelon
10-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Can't get my daughter on it, but the boy loves it. Its a well spent $2.00 ride. Now just go back and get rid of the "gangstas" who hang out on the boardwalk and I will be happy! :D

playdeep
10-07-2003, 06:50 PM
TPC,
...great story.
Nice piece of Americana.

91nordic29
10-08-2003, 09:36 AM
RiverToysJas:
Here's a hot boat on a rollercoaster....
http://www.op6c.com/images/fun_images/rd_magic1a.jpg
RTJas :D WHAT THE?????

OLDRAT
10-08-2003, 12:27 PM
That's the best one in a long time, Jas!!!!!!!! wink

Ziggy
10-08-2003, 12:43 PM
TPC,
Thanks for being involved with its resurrection, many memories from the coaster and the mischief that went on when it was shut down.
Its a classic coaster and hopefully it will remain for generations to experience. :cool:

OLDRAT
10-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Almost forgot,
Thanks for the great story and good luck with
getting something done to restore a piece of
California history.
Maybe this new administration will provide
some incentive to help it happen.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Ziggy:
TPC,
Thanks for being involved with its resurrection, many memories from the coaster and the mischief that went on when it was shut down.
Its a classic coaster and hopefully it will remain for generations to experience. :cool: Thanks Ziggy.
Proves my point. In Calif., you can sell a boat in Oct. Amazing.
Glad to read you moved it.

jbtrailerjim
10-08-2003, 01:45 PM
Good story TPC....I alway's enjoy reading your stories. Keep up the good work. :)

summerlove
10-08-2003, 01:45 PM
Another AWESOME TPC story! Thanks. The pennant and coaster were great places to hang out in my wilder days. I'm now a responsible adult with kids (my wife would argue the adult part LOL).
I've been on the coaster many times since the restoration, thanks for being a part of it!

Trailer Park Casanova
10-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Thanks you guys.
I have a little side story to this.
I was invited to Koths (the foreman that built the Giant Dipper) 97th bithday party.
At the party I met:
Hal Roach. 100+ years old and looked good. He produced and directed many Little rascals, and Laurel and Hardy movies and shorts. An excellent guyHe helped barbeque.
T Marvin Hatley- who was the guy that wrote the Little Rascals Theme music and the Laurel and Hardy theme and music, plus he played the piano for the party all night.
Dorthy Lamore (Spelled wrong), a neighbor, known mostly for Bob Hope road pictures.
And lots of old actors that had excellent stories.

STGP
10-08-2003, 04:06 PM
TPC, your the man, great story. I used to go to the Bahia, great place. Coasters still scare me after my dad took me for a ride on the Cyclone Racer at the Pike in Long Beach when I was around 6 years old. It was a great old wooden coaster that went out over the water, man that thing cured me of roller coasters for life.

NorCal Gameshow
10-08-2003, 04:13 PM
TPC, have you been in simi long enough to have seen the stunt shows at hopetown?

Trailer Park Casanova
10-08-2003, 06:39 PM
NorCal Gameshow:
TPC, have you been in simi long enough to have seen the stunt shows at hopetown? I was really little and it was called Corriganville.
They filmed Rin Tin there, and the kid that played Rusty, Lee Acre, still stops off nearby at Cantina and has a Margarita. I carry my digital camera because I have a brother in law that wants a pic of me with him.
Corrigans son runs a Steakhouse in Thousand Oaks and you can meet him any time the doors are open.
Super guy, real genuine, involved in a charity with me where we pay to provide speach and physical therapy to needy kids in remote areas.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-08-2003, 06:50 PM
STGP:
TPC, your the man, great story. I used to go to the Bahia, great place. Coasters still scare me after my dad took me for a ride on the Cyclone Racer at the Pike in Long Beach when I was around 6 years old. It was a great old wooden coaster that went out over the water, man that thing cured me of roller coasters for life. The City Of Long Beach, and a local coaster group agreed to rebuild a replica of the Twin track Cyclone.
Funding, land permits all ready to go and the backers are stalling for some reason.
It was the most awsum coaster: My Aunt used to tell me ; "More Sailors were killed on the Cyclone than died in World War 2".
She was a crazy old aunt, it was not true. A few accidents with some injuries over the years, and lot's of rumors, but no fatals that we could ever find.
I had just got my driver license and took a trip to Long Beach.
I rode the Cyclone on it's last day and it was brutal. I can see why it would cure you for life.

STGP
10-08-2003, 06:59 PM
Yeah' I can still remember the first drop like it was yesterday,all I could think of was what in the hell am I doing on this monster.
But you know it was kinda like a right of passage for a young boy--I was no longer a coaster virgin!!!!!!!!!!!
[ October 08, 2003, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: STGP ]

NorCal Gameshow
10-08-2003, 09:31 PM
Trailer Park Casanova:
NorCal Gameshow:
TPC, have you been in simi long enough to have seen the stunt shows at hopetown? I was really little and it was called Corriganville.
They filmed Rin Tin there, and the kid that played Rusty, Lee Acre, still stops off nearby at Cantina and has a Margarita. I carry my digital camera because I have a brother in law that wants a pic of me with him.
Corrigans son runs a Steakhouse in Thousand Oaks and you can meet him any time the doors are open.
Super guy, real genuine, involved in a charity with me where we pay to provide speach and physical therapy to needy kids in remote areas. yeah that's right...i've been to the steakhouse and never put the two together..
would that be at the sagebrush cantina or the yucatan cantina ??? :D