PDA

View Full Version : What's my problem?

Waldo
03-10-2003, 01:35 PM
Okay, here is a question regarding my clutch/tranny/torque converter/whatever???. I have a 1998 Ford F-150, 4.6L Triton motor, standard 4spd auto tranny w/od and only 51K miles on it.
I was at Lake Perris Saturday playing around in our new Carrera 202XR (about 3000lbs) and it came time for us leave. As I was pulling the boat out of the water on the semi-steep ramp, my truck sounded like it was experiencing some kind of "slipping". The rpm's would increase but my truck's speed was still very slow paced. I am pretty sure it wasn't wheelspin as I am familiar with the sound sound and feel of it. I haven't had any problems in the past towing boats or other smaller PWC trailers. What do you all think it might be?
P.S. I just had a company flush out the old tranny fluid and replace with new...don't know if this makes any difference.
Thanks in advance! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

rivercrazy
03-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Did they put enough fluid back in it?

Blown 472
03-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Was the fluid burnt?? if so by changing the burnt stuff to new will bring problems, my buddy is a ford mech and told me that if the fluid is burnt you are better off leaving it and adding to it rather than changing.

Waldo
03-10-2003, 01:42 PM
They didn't tell me if it was burnt or not. However, they did say they put in 12.5 quarts of new.

Dyce51
03-10-2003, 08:37 PM
well factory specs say 13 quarts + or - a little bit but they do say it must be MERCON V tranny fluid.Were you in low gear like first gear? That would cause high rpm but low real low wheel speed.. but that is fine
[ March 10, 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Dyce51 ]

STV_Keith
03-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Can you replicate the problem anywhere else? If so, see if it's different between "drive" 1st gear and manually selected 1st gear.

Waldo
03-11-2003, 07:07 AM
Thanks guys, I haven't experienced it any other time. Also, I manually put it in 2nd gear. And Mercron 5 was used. I'll see what happens this next weekend if we go out.

h2oski2fast
03-11-2003, 09:53 AM
Simple! It's a Ford.

h2oski2fast
03-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Sorry I couldn't help myself :D

OOfatso
03-11-2003, 12:07 PM
h2oski2fast:
Sorry I couldn't help myself :D Wow!!!
A lot of the guy's that I work woth are Ford boys through and through!!! Those are fighting words to them!!!!
"OO"fatso
:D
P.S..... Notice the avatar!

Waldo
03-11-2003, 03:54 PM
I figured someone would take that shot!

nelsonf
03-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Waldo,
I have the same Truck. Here is my opinion you say you manually put it in Second gear in my truck that will lock it in to second gear. It will not go down to first so you are trying to pull the boat up the ramp in second gear slipping the converter. Just my opinion i have been wrong.

Mandelon
03-11-2003, 05:49 PM
That sound right to me. You were keeping it in second and it didn't have the huevos to pull as easy as it does in first....... Ding!
So either don't downshift....I think the tranny is supposed to do that for you????? or drop into first and not second.
Keep us updated on the Carrera. I've got the same hull but with a jet....

Waldo
03-11-2003, 06:05 PM
That thought crossed my mind. I would usually put it in first but just wasn't paying that close attention to the gear.
Mandelon, the boat was sweet last Saturday. I like the ride so far. We opted for the stern drive for wakeboarding reasons. What motor is in yours, how long have you had it, and any problems?

Mandelon
03-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Waldo:
That thought crossed my mind. I would usually put it in first but just wasn't paying that close attention to the gear.
Mandelon, the boat was sweet last Saturday. I like the ride so far. We opted for the stern drive for wakeboarding reasons. What motor is in yours, how long have you had it, and any problems? Waldo, I think I told you this in the Cobra vs Carrera thread before....but, Its got the 390HP 454, I bought it last year. No mechanical problems. I really like it.
We need to hook up some time this summer and compare rides! :D

Waldo
03-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Sounds good. We usually are at Parker but sometimes take a trip to Havasu or Needles. Our first big trip is next month and we're staying at Emerald Cove on the Cali side. Look us up if you are out there. I am sure we'll post something the week prior so we can hook up with whoever is out there.
BTW, does Carrera still have yearly regatas? Have you or anyone else been? We'd like to go if they are still running. If I remember correctly, they were in September out of Nautical.

Mandelon
03-12-2003, 06:45 AM
Don't know about the regatta. I would go for sure. I emailed Carrera a couple of times, but never heard back..... :(
Hell, if they don't do one doesn't mean we couldn't do an informal one... :cool: