PDA

View Full Version : Selling a boat and the morons you encounter

PACKINAIR
08-27-2003, 07:13 PM
( I posted this in the cat section but figured here was better wink )
Howdy... I don't post on hot boat much but I am sure some of you know me from other boards... One of my biggest pet peeves is little children or dead beats that do nothing but waste your time pretending they are going to buy something.. I don't know about the rest of you but I think I am save to say that when someone on our favorite board (whatever it may be) asks a question or for help that we will take time away from whatever else we have to be doing with our time to help them out.. when the evening comes I know I like to take time and goof off for a few and help what with what I can. when it is a false post or someone wasting our time that takes time from my online poker addiction and that makes me grumpy Now when someone asks repeated questions and pretends to be a buyer with NO intention or means to make the purchase I deem that as them steeling money out of my pocket. the time they wasted, the calls I didn't take could have been a real buyer. If you have made it this far take a minute to read the post that got my rant started http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41210 .. does this kinda crap get under anyone else's skin as much as mine?? Now Phat_Krap when you get out of jr. high tomorrow and read this please stop gaying up my threads with your presence. you bother me.. as far as everyone else,, I think I might spend alittle more time here.. everyone seems pretty cool unless you guys are mad at me for picking on one of your most valued members Check out my boat if ya want at www.stupidfastboats.com (http://www.stupidfastboats.com)

burbanite
08-27-2003, 08:21 PM
The more things change, the more they stay the same... :rolleyes:

VillainDave
08-27-2003, 08:41 PM
I don't blame you I'd be pissed too! burningm
So jerks just get off on wasting others time!

ratso
08-27-2003, 10:12 PM
You know I'm good for it.

Rexone
08-27-2003, 10:23 PM
welcome to the internet gentlemen
http://999999.c.telecomputing.no/PatChat/ikoner/86.gif

Freak
08-28-2003, 03:35 AM
Well well well, PK's BS has pissed someone else off. Say it isn't so! LOL. Shot ya 5 pack'in...

TPI
08-28-2003, 05:05 AM
My favorite is the guy that is FOR SURE coming over(never shows or calls) or FOR SURE going to BUY IT, or the guy that makes you a phone offer without even seeing what you have. Great, its 0600 AM and I have chest pain at 35 years old :mad: These guys are everywhere, and unfortunately, its hard not to change your attitude a little toward potential buyers in general. I just read the "scream & fly post=unbelievable.
[ August 28, 2003, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: GT ]

Havasu Hangin'
08-28-2003, 05:16 AM
GT:
Great, its 0600 AM and I have chest pain at 35 years old :mad: These guys are everywhere, and unfortunately, its hard not to change your attitude a little toward potential buyers in general. Welcome to "sales".

TPI
08-28-2003, 05:30 AM
You can only imagine why so many boat manufacturers and hi perf sales guys are kind of brash to customers in general. Ill bet several years of that kind of stuff could change anyone? I know I am really trying to push customer service on these engines I am building for people, in fact its my # 1 priority. I think the "chest pain" comes from keeping it in and not running "strokes" away. I just keep smiling :D Kill em with kindness................

Boozer
08-28-2003, 05:40 AM
GT:
You can only imagine why so many boat manufacturers and hi perf sales guys are kind of brash to customers in general. Ill bet several years of that kind of stuff could change anyone? I know I am really trying to push customer service on these engines I am building for people, in fact its my # 1 priority. I think the "chest pain" comes from keeping it in and not running "strokes" away. I just keep smiling :D Kill em with kindness................ It's still no excuse for a salesman to be an asshole to other potential customers. If you can't take the heat get your ass out of the kitchen.
If selling shit were easy then everyone would be a sales person. Thank god not everyones a sales person though, if they were I'd have to many people to compete with.

Boozer
08-28-2003, 05:40 AM
DP
[ August 28, 2003, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Boozer ]

Jbb
08-28-2003, 05:45 AM
morning double!!
[ August 28, 2003, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: JETBOAT BRIAN ]

Jbb
08-28-2003, 05:45 AM
Its part of the deal ...Iused to restore and sell Old Corvettes....I had a guy tell me once that if I really wanted him to buy my car I should let him take it for the weekend for a shakedown run.Yeah,right. Some of the requests were unbelievable....Takes a lot of patience!

Havasu Hangin'
08-28-2003, 05:46 AM
GT:
I just keep smiling :D Kill em with kindness................ Selling a boat will force even a "non-salesguy" into the world of sales. All I gotta say is "welcome to dealing with people".
As for the industry, I have this theory. I don't think they pay well enough to keep dedicated, professional sales people on hand, so they end up trying to do it themselves.
Just because someone knows how to build a great boat, it doesn't mean they are good with people.

TPI
08-28-2003, 05:48 AM
If selling shit were easy then everyone would be a sales person. Thank god not everyones a sales person though, if they were I'd have to many people to compete with. [/QB][/QUOTE]
I think thats where a big problem lies. A lot of people are not in sales, and they have no idea what goes along with selling a personal item. I do agree with you on the fact that if your in the biz, you better be ready to step up and eat some corn!

TPI
08-28-2003, 05:50 AM
HH, thats a very good theory, I am going to call it a fact.

THOR
08-28-2003, 05:55 AM
First, I was lucky to have recently sold my boat to a really cool and upstanding guy.
Second, there were plenty of dipshits that fit the profile listed in the first post that came by to look at my boat. The classic was the guy who came over and took a bunch of pics to take back with him. Why? You already sat in it and heard it run. In addition, he was trying to get financing and said the bank was 'holding him up' from buying. The kicker was, he finally told me that he was living with his girlfriends parents in Hemet, and was in between jobs. No wonder the bank was holding you up you F&^*ing moron.

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
08-28-2003, 07:24 AM
PACKINHOTAIR, I also do not post much on this board but I must respond to your rant. You are the one selling something, deal with it. How do you know that the person wasting your time away from the 2-4 partypoker.com game does not have a garbage bag full of cash??
[ August 28, 2003, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER ]

BADAXE
08-28-2003, 07:43 AM
So let me get this strait....your calling Phat_Kat a moron?
I got one word for you....DUUUUHHHHH!!!!! :rolleyes: :D
When I sold my last boat I had a guy come over and spend three hours sitting in the boat and telling me he loved it, asked if I could pull it out of the garage and hook the water up and run it for him. Then at the very end he asks me to hold it for him but he doesn't have money for a deposit because he out of work on workmans comp. Then tells me he can't buy it until he sells his current boat. So I ask him how long has he been trying to sell it, his answer was...I've been to busy to place the ad but I'm going to get around to it pretty soon. I think I blew the deal from ever happening when I called him a f'ing dick head and told him to get the hell of my property. :mad: argue
Hey Phat_Kat was that you? idea Nah... it couldn't be, this guy looked like he was out of high school. :D

Freak
08-28-2003, 07:59 AM
BADAXE:
I think I blew the deal from ever happening when I called him a f'ing dick head and told him to get the hell of my property. LOL and to this day I bet he doesn't understand why you called him that.

Boozer
08-28-2003, 08:01 AM
RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER:
PACKINHOTAIR, I also do not post much on this board but I must respond to your rant. You are the one selling something, deal with it. How do you know that the person wasting your time away from the 2-4 partypoker.com game does not have a garbage bag full of cash?? It's funny that you say that because it really is soooooooo true.
Back in the day I use to sell car audio systems. Anyhow we would always have the local thugs come in and waste our time, we reffered to them as strokers because that's what they do they come in stroke your shit all day long and then walk out.
So one day I have this guy come in wearing some shitty clothes driving a total hoopty it was an 88 Olds Delta 88. Anyhow he's like I want to put the biggest baddest bangin system in my car that I can. I figure this guy is just waisting my time but what the hell I don't have anyhting better to do so I'll help this guy create the biggest baddest system possible.
We put together a $15,000 system on paper. He pulled out a brown paper bag and paid $15,000 cash on the spot total with taxes came out to a little over 16k and he paid cash for it all.
So it just goes to show you should never make assumptions about a potential buyer because that potential buyer might just surprise you. Now this is of course within reason. I sure as hell wouldn't let a potential buyer take the boat out for a weekend before making his decision, that is downright ridiculous. Maybe if he pays me up front and then takes it for the weekend and then decides after the weekend he doesn't want it thats alright but id want to see cash up front.

Steamin' Rice
08-28-2003, 08:42 AM
Selling things can be a pain in the ass...A couple of years ago I sold my Hallett to a guy who didn't have time to go for a water test in the boat before buying it. I knew everything was fine with the boat so that was OK with me. The day after I delivered the boat to him (a 4-hr roundtrip for me in traffic along the 405), he called me complaining that the shifter was broken and wanted me to send him a check for $500. After talking to him a few times, it sounded like he took it to the lake and had been turning the motor off while it was in gear (a no-no with bravo drives) and then forcing the shifter back to neutral to restart it, eventually breaking something. I ended up sending him a check for $200 just to get him out of my hair, but next time I sell a boat I will insist on taking the buyer for a sea trial.....

burbanite
08-28-2003, 08:43 AM
In this instance I don't think PACKINAIR has to worry about missing out on a paper bag full of cash from this particular "buyer"...his reputation preceeds him.

superdave013
08-28-2003, 08:56 AM
I like, No I love selling stuff. I regret not doing it for a living and I might just change that sometime.
Sure you have to deal with the tire kickers. Part of the game.
I have fun every time I go to Long Beach swap meet with a truck full of shit. I sell most of it in line before I even get up to the gate!
Anyone need any v drive parts? :D

PACKINAIR
08-28-2003, 09:26 AM
:D I think I am starting to like this board.. LOL.. I understand it comes with sales.. I have been in sales for the last 10 years, delt with alot of morons and alot of great people. as far as some people you would be the last person to buy I always give everyone the benifit of the doubt at first.. several years back when I was into cars (before I saw the light and switched to boats) I was selling my blown altered, so I put it in natinal dragster.... got a few morons calling on it.. then this guy call us from Texas (I live in northern ohio) talkes to me for about 1/2 hour, if that, then says great i'll take it, be there in 3 days I have to stop and buy a new trailer along the way... so I give him directions and he says he will meet me a cirtain day at like 4:00.. don't hear back from the guy.. so having heard this story so many times before there is noway I am going all the way out to the shop to sit around for a guy from texas that I havn't heard from, to my suprise about 5 me cell rings.. he wants to know if I am still at the shop cause the gate is locked..so I am thinking WTF?? this guy can't be for real.. so I swing by the shop and here is this guy sitting there with a brand new truck and trailer.. says he is sorry he is late.
I roll the car out and he says "yup, that's a sweet car, lets load it up" pulls out a ton of CASH. hands me full asking price. never even started the car or wanted to know anything about it. the whole deal lasted about 15 minutes abd he was back on the road.. http://www.stupidfastboats.com/altered.jpg