PDA

View Full Version : Has any of you gone through the DEVIL PUPS program...

Doug H.
07-16-2003, 09:00 AM
im putting my son through the program, what's been your experience ? :)

Kilrtoy
07-16-2003, 10:35 AM
Know alittle about it. Very intense, Teachs kids alot of self control. Tough on the emotions....

burbanite
07-16-2003, 10:56 AM
What is it?
Edit: Ok, I checked the website.
Sounds like something that everyone might gain something from, no harm in learning values is there?
If some of these punk ass gang bangers were put through this at a young age then maybe they might have some standards by which to judge behavior.
[ July 16, 2003, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: burbanite ]

JustMVG
07-16-2003, 01:10 PM
I went through the program when i was around 12yrs old, that would be 1972, hated it for the first couple of days and after that i wished i could have stayed for a few more weeks, did me alot of good too, i was acting like an ass at the time, basically just being a punk ass , my dad had some friends in the military and said this would be the best thing for me. It had a lasting impact on me, i still have my "Graduation" Squad pic somewhere around here. I don't know what they have changed over the years , but getting to watch live fire exercises, and tracers going off was a kick in the pants , the obstacle course was grueling, and the tear gas excercise was fun, we jumped off of a platform that simulated a ship, seemed like 50 feet tall. It set me straight if that helps you at all.
It was Marine Corps. Boot camp, you did everything the Marines did except fire a weapon,you got the Marine standard issue haircut, issued you a uniform ,you ate with Marines in the same mess hall, did the runs everymorning, tons of push ups and pull ups, if you had a problem or disagreement with another "pup" you worked it out either you talked about it or you boxed it out, they set up a ring and everything, gloves headgear, or you could use the "Sticks".
Mike VG
[ July 16, 2003, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: MandMVG ]

wsuwrhr
07-16-2003, 05:02 PM
I went through it in the summer between JR High and High School. Best thing that ever happened to me, 10 days was enough for me to know I didn't want anythign to do with the military.
But other than that it was a great experience. I loved it.
Brian

Doug H.
07-16-2003, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys for your experiences, i too went through the program and hated it but my afterthoughts are that every kid should go through this program to atleast learn dicipline and respect, makes going through life a little easier, my son is leaving tonight at 4:30am for San Diego :D

mister460
07-16-2003, 06:39 PM
Well, I've seen them first hand but I went through the real thing. Don't regret it at all. I think every kid should go through the "pups" program. It's good experience. I get out of my "Devil Dog" experience in 5 weeks. Loved it, hated it, glad I did it. So, enough of my rambling.

River Ric
07-16-2003, 08:12 PM
Hey Guys,
I went thru the program back in 1975. I went to New Mexico. It was done at the Philmont Boy Scout Ranch. It was 2 weeeks that changed my life. It focused me and really put me intouch with what working hard gets you. I credit the DI.'s with being able to get accepted to play football at Ohio State. I became a 4 year letterman and 2 year All-American.So many of the lessons that I had learned at Devil's Pups made Hell Week's a lot eaiser. I too would have love to stay for the whole summer. burningm burningm burningm

SMFRiverRat
07-16-2003, 09:15 PM
I had the "experience" of going thru that program in 1972 as well. All over camp Pendleton. Ran our tails off for 10 days. Got yelled at an awful lot. Really enjoyed the jump off the 35' tower into the pool. The night fire excersizes. The landing craft rides and all the comararadie that can be forged in 10 days as a twelve year old. Watching the helicopters fly around really sparked my interest in aviation and landed me where I am today. An experience that I highly recommend. My father was a Marine in WWII and landed first wave on Guam. Got to tell that story one night and had a lot of Reserve SGTS. that were running the show want to meet my dad at the ending graduation. I even have the group photo on the wall of my home office.
Good times!

jeepinscott
07-16-2003, 11:10 PM
I was there in 83' at Pendleton. My Dad was friends with the marine recruiter and he snowed us all. The stuff we got to do was cool, but the bullshit was over the top.
I was at least a foot taller than my sgt. and he had a bad case of small mans complex. It was a living hell. He chose me from the get go to be the example the whole time that I was there. I saw his 'little' problem as a quest to piss him off every chance I could.
I did figure out that I never wanted to be in the military and I got in pretty good shape for football that year.

Sun burners
07-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Put My 10 year old boy in a Marine camp about 2years ago in Pico Rivera 1 night a week and a few weekends. Dont know if thats what made him change or not HE HATED EVERY MINUTE OF IT! He graduated with his class and never went back. He got his first hair cut last week! They also become PFC if they ever enlist or get drafted