PDA

View Full Version : Auto body question..

396_Z
07-27-2003, 10:31 AM
Anybody know where I can get reasonably priced replacemt parts for my 92 Dakota?
I had a small booboo yesterday at work and set the bucket of our 972 Cat loader down on the front corner. Hood and fender are toast.

Wet Dream
07-27-2003, 01:41 PM
A wrecking yard is a good start. Search the internet, you'll have a lot of options. If you can't anything with those two, do to a Dodge dealer and get prices. You'll learn to search better.

blownmoney
07-27-2003, 01:47 PM
either used parts or you can go to a local body shop and see if they would be willing to get you some new aftermarket stuff for it.. aftermarket won't fit nearly as well as oem stuff but its clean, and ready to paint and install

nmdcb
07-27-2003, 02:52 PM
look up all makes body parts, or keystone automotive in the yellow pages under body shop suppliers. they sell a line of sheet metal that is called capa certified. the fit is not far off of oem. if you can set up a wholesale account with them or find someone that has one. they usually just require a business license. the difference in price is about half. if you buy used parts from a wrecking yard make sure they have the original paint on them, you never know what you will find when you go to sand it for the new finish. good luck.

nmdcb
look up all makes body parts, or keystone automotive in the yellow pages under body shop suppliers. they sell a line of sheet metal that is called capa certified. the fit is not far off of oem. if you can set up a wholesale account with them or find someone that has one. they usually just require a business license. the difference in price is about half. if you buy used parts from a wrecking yard make sure they have the original paint on them, you never know what you will find when you go to sand it for the new finish. good luck.

nmdcb

396_Z
07-27-2003, 03:52 PM
Wet Dream:
A wrecking yard is a good start. Search the internet, you'll have a lot of options. If you can't anything with those two, do to a Dodge dealer and get prices. You'll learn to search better. No offense meant here but you should have added "Duh!" to the end of that....
I've found a few places that I can get them at already. Everyone is close enough in price that who has better quality parts is the deciding factor. If I could find clean factory parts in a wrecking yard I'd get those if the color matched. If not I'm probably going with aftermarket panels. I don't even want to know the cornholing I'd take with new OEM parts.
I'm just glad I wasn't 1/8" closer. I would have wiped out the whole lamp/grill assembly. I'll have to post the pics later. I took shots of both the damage here at the house and the tool that inflicted it.

396_Z
07-28-2003, 07:37 PM
ok, here are the pics. FWIW I still have to laugh when I think about doing it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/412DCP_1707-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/412DCP_1705-med.jpg
The instrument of death
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/412DCP_1711-med.jpg
[ July 28, 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: 396_Z ]

blownmoney
07-28-2003, 08:37 PM
your gunna shit when you see what dodge wants for those hoods... even the wrecking yards are proud of em!!, bumpers arn't cheap either... your probably looking at around 500 to 600 in used parts(if you find a used fender) make sure it has a flare on it too.. so that it comes pre drilled and you don't have the headache of mounting the flare, might also want to think about removing all the stripes, the stripes usually come in kit form...so you might have two buy the whole enchilada, and they can be pricey as well..good luck!!

396_Z
07-29-2003, 02:42 AM
The cost of a hood isn't as bad as you might think. For an aftermarket CAPA certified hood I found a place that will get it for $140. The fender is under $100. It's the bumper thats the exspensive one, $160+ Then it's finding a shop to paint match everything.
At least my boss is being good to me about things. He knows it's my fault and I'm going to end up paying for everything out of pocket so he told me yesterday that all the OT I can handle is available if I want it. Doesn't sound like much until you consider that right now I'm averaging 59 hrs/wk already and he's offering more.

Jbb
07-29-2003, 02:55 AM
CAPA certified.......lol.... :D :D
Now thats funny