PDA

View Full Version : Show Biz Kids and A Exit Strategy

Trailer Park Casanova
10-09-2003, 05:11 PM
My wakeboard girl, that is, my daughter is approaching 18.
When she entered show biz at 11, she was told it'll last 'till about 18, then it'll fizzle out.
10 through 18 is the prime age for acting.
It was good to hear that. It opened her eyes & she held that thought. She's picked what she wants her future to be (FBI Forensic Science), and it's becoming a smooth dedicated transition.
I resisted her wanting to audition for parts because of the crap I saw on the news about such ventures. Finally I gave in and she got parts galore.
All right, I admit,, I blew it and took it to far that time.
My daughter had rolls in the Practice, Boston Public, Zoolander, all kinds of commercials, and upcoming movie with Ben Stiller and her favorite, Jennifer Anniston.
Some interesting info:
One cool thing that happened, was her agent called her this past spring, and asked her if she had 5 girlfriends, 90 to 100 lbs, no taller than 5'6 that could dance. My daughter did, and all the girls got a 2 week shoot in upcoming Christene Agularia (sic) NBA commercials.
They all got paid a lot of money, SAG cards, and the director and NBA loved them. The camera loves tiny girls, they come across in perfect scale to the star when dancing.
Another time we got a call from her agent looking for a 10 month old baby that was easy going, and looked younger. We PM'd Robbie from here in ***boatForums, and they got the part for his baby girl. It was a series of Mitsubishi TV commercials filmed by coinsidence on the RailRoad tracks on Rice Road.
Being a parent was cool too. By Calif law,, a parent has to be on the set with minors. I got to meet lots of cool people, and got into some interesting adventures too.
The entire film or TV shoot is controlled by the School teacher. A State of Calif credentialed teacher calls all the shots with the kids and has final say in any matter on the set. The teacher can shut down any shot or entire production.
The kid actors are treated super,, and eat anything they ask for. A chinese Chicken Salad from Jerrys Deli,,, Orange Shrimp from PF Changs, Prime Rib from Lawrys,, if she asked for it, they produced it.
If you ever think of putting your child in show biz,, find the best agencies and agents. Lots of sham ones.
And make sure to keep your kids eyes wide open to an exit strategy & rejection.
Exit strategy is the key to their future in this biz. I was glad for my girl,, but even more glad it's fazing out painlessly. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/939P8230014-med.JPG
[ October 10, 2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

Ziggy
10-09-2003, 05:20 PM
What a great dad you are...Control but flexible.

fourspeednup
10-09-2003, 05:26 PM
What high school did she go to? I went to Ventura HS and I think I've seen her before. Maybe it was at a sporting event or something? I recall talking to her about wakeboarding and about a river trip last Memorial day.
PM me if you want.

Boatcop
10-09-2003, 06:39 PM
Just remember the wise words of Becker and Fagen:
"Show Biz Kids, making movies of themselves, you know they don't give a f%&# about any body else."

GlastronGuy
10-09-2003, 08:48 PM
Boatcop:
Just remember the wise words of Becker and Fagen:
"Show Biz Kids, making movies of themselves, you know they don't give a f%&# about any body else." Steely Dan, you are dating yourself. :)

burbanite
10-10-2003, 02:07 PM
TPC, a few similarities between your daughter and my eldest...
She turns 18 early next year. Has appeared in several commercials and does voice overs. Wants to be a Forensic Scientist.
Funny old world isn't it? I'm glad she has a goal to work toward and has experienced all of the things she has in her short life. She was born in England, moved to Australia for three years and, of course, now lives here.
She has chosen to attend college abroad and it looks likely that she will end up at Bond University on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia. A fun place for an 18 year old...

BajaMike
10-10-2003, 03:06 PM
TPC, what a great story...good to hear it's working out so well...you do hear some bad tales about kids and parents who get involved in that industry.
I'm sending this to my girlfried, she has a 10 year old daughter who has talked about doing the same thing.
Thanks!
idea
Mike

Trailer Park Casanova
10-10-2003, 05:53 PM
Queensland,, how excellent Burb. Fantastic place.
Mike, I'll get her agencys # from her and PM it to you this week with a few tips she suggests.
By law, an adult has to be with them all the time except when they're in class. (Grand Parents/Aunts-Uncles work out pretty good). Most the studios have a watering hole within walking distance.
They bring their schoolwork/homework from their school, and spend 4 hours a day in studio class with a real sharp teacher.
Some stage parents you'll meet are a piece of work. If you can handle the water skiing parents that hang out at Badenoch's you'll get along fine with stage parents.