PDA

View Full Version : Towing With a Hummer H2

Laveyman
10-17-2003, 10:36 AM
I've seen a few boat/H2 rigs travelling down the road, and they look awesome. Does anyone here tow with one or know someone who does? I've heard they don't tow as well as a properly equipped SUV or pickup. I currently tow with a 3/4-ton Suburban, 4x4, with the 8100 Vortec and have no problems at all. But, I money were to land in my lap, would it be a good move to switch to the Hummer?
[ October 17, 2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Laveyman ]

al cole'holic
10-17-2003, 10:50 AM
Laveyman:
I've seen a few boat/H2 rigs travelling down the road, and they look awesome. Does anyone here tow with one or know someone who does? I've heard they don't tow as well as a properly equipped SUV or pickup. I currently tow with a 3/4-ton Suburban, 4x4, with the 8100 Vortec and have no problems at all. But, I money were to land in my lap, would it be a good move to switch to the Hummer? Think of how short the wheelbase is compared to your Sub...keep it! :D

78Eliminator
10-17-2003, 10:57 AM
Well, you are asking for opinions, so here are mine:
Hummers are total yuppie wagons. I mean, why not just buy a BMW or Mercedes SUV? It is the same thing. Know where I see a lot if Hummers? In LA cruising through the city. Hell yeah, there sure are a lot of crazy trails in downtown LA! But hey, the Hummer makes me feel like a mountain man! Yeah! Let me burn up as much gas as possible and while I'm at it, buy something that is totally impracticle for my lifestyle.
I wish I had money to burn like that. Maybe my sarcasm is just envy. NOT. Save your money and just buy a bumper sticker that says "Poser behind the wheel".
(can you tell that I am subtly trying to get you to not buy one) wink

Blown 472
10-17-2003, 10:59 AM
Bling bling, yo

Havasu Hangin'
10-17-2003, 11:03 AM
I've always found that it's safer to pull over (rather than towing with a hummer).

78Eliminator
10-17-2003, 11:04 AM
Havasu Hangin':
I've always found that it's safer to pull over (rather than towing with a hummer). I hear that! And if you hit a big enough pot hole, it will be a screamer!

THOR
10-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Havasu Hangin':
I've always found that it's safer to pull over (rather than towing with a hummer). No way. I love going to the river while getting a little road head.

Havasu Hangin'
10-17-2003, 11:09 AM
THOR:
No way. I love going to the river while getting a little road head. Well...I said safer.
Ever look down at the speedo and realize your doing 80MPH and still climbing (in the wrong lane)?

XTRM22
10-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Havasu Hangin':
I've always found that it's safer to pull over (rather than towing with a hummer). As usual, HH beat me to it. :D Stick with the Burb, James it gives you that up standing family man look that throws em off guard! wink
Chuck

smalls
10-17-2003, 11:31 AM
I think that The Hummer is bassed on a Tahoe running gear.
[ October 17, 2003, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: smalls ]

Havasu Cig
10-17-2003, 11:31 AM
In my opinion the H-1 is the only true Hummer. I can't stand the H-2's.
I know of a couple people towing large boats with them, but I would stick with something with a longer wheelbase.

totenhosen
10-17-2003, 12:47 PM
Havasu Cig:
In my opinion the H-1 is the only true Hummer. I can't stand the H-2's.
I know of a couple people towing large boats with them, but I would stick with something with a longer wheelbase. What he said!

Laveyman
10-17-2003, 12:51 PM
Havasu Hangin':
I've always found that it's safer to pull over (rather than towing with a hummer). You don't mean that people ACTUALLY do that while driving, do they??? wink wink :D
Okay, stay with the burb and be a family guy instead of the Terminator Wannabe!!!

Havasu_Dreamin
10-17-2003, 12:52 PM
The H2 is based on the Tahoe frame. Think a Tahoe has to small of a wheelbase to tow a 27-29 ft boat weighing somewhere between 5500-6500 including the trailer?

Laveyman
10-17-2003, 01:00 PM
Havasu_Dreamin:
The H2 is based on the Tahoe frame. Think a Tahoe has to small of a wheelbase to tow a 27-29 ft boat weighing somewhere between 5500-6500 including the trailer? Way too short. Those that don't believe, just try it and lock em up while going down a grade. You'll be able to look out your left or right window and see your boat jacknifed right next to ya!

roln 20s
10-17-2003, 01:02 PM
IMO-
Thumbs down: I think stock I don't like them. They are huge, and still have the 6000 Vortec (correct me if I'm wrong) so I can't imagine it could/would tow as well as a Tahoe, Suburban, or Escalade.
Thumbs up: There is a guy near me that has an all white one on some 24's (definately bling) and tows a 29 Force Offshore- Bad ass. Also, at havasu during the Heatwave there was a white H2 towing a blue 36 Cigarette Gladiator...F@#king bad ass- I checked in the parking lot and it had 18's on some 35's (I'll have to post some pics). Definately more of the Family man kinda ride, and just pimp, but not overly Bling Bling.
Question- Is it really how well it tows or is it how well you look getting there?
I'm young, so I'll take the how well you look getting there.
HH- how does your buddy tow with this boat behind his H2- BTW, I think he should get some rear bags and level that bad boy out.
But your question was, if money landing in your lap- what do you do--BUY it or something equal in pimpness.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/25P1010069-med.JPG
Roln 20s

jackpunx
10-17-2003, 01:09 PM
A 2000 GMC 6500 that was custom built with a 9 Speed Transmission and Cat Diesel (900 lb/ft torque). Truck has $10,000 Stereo, DVD, Leather, Air Ride, Air Cab, and Etc. 17,000 lb. Pick-up Truck good for 1 Million Miles with 45,000 miles on the odometer. $55,000 for truck
http://www.***boat.com/classifieds/ads/images/593_3.jpg

Danhercules
10-17-2003, 01:25 PM
I have a 7500 GMC. BUT......... Its got a dump bed on it. I got the 9 speed with a spit rear, and the CAT. Killer truck. I wish I could have a crane in the backyard and swith beds to the dully bed to go to Glamis and the river. Nice truck Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jackpunx
10-17-2003, 01:31 PM
Danhercules:
I have a 7500 GMC. BUT......... Its got a dump bed on it. I got the 9 speed with a spit rear, and the CAT. Killer truck. I wish I could have a crane in the backyard and swith beds to the dully bed to go to Glamis and the river. Nice truck Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry,
not my truck.. Im thinking of buying it though..
this one is mine.. It will be for sale..
How does that Cat do on fuel?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/943Boat_and_truck-med.jpg

Havasu Hangin'
10-17-2003, 01:35 PM
roln 20s:
HH- how does your buddy tow with this boat behind his H2- BTW, I think he should get some rear bags and level that bad boy out.I do have a friend with an H2...but that's not it.
I went from a 'Hoe to a Sub...I'll never go back (even with my small boat).

DogHouse
10-17-2003, 01:40 PM
An H2 with 35s on 18s looks ok, although I probably wouldn't buy one just because of the poser factor. An H2 with 24s just looks idiotic in my book... Here's this big fugly truck thingie that's supposed to be some hardass off road rig and it's rollin' on wheels and tires that would make it about 100 yds off road to the first rock outcropping where they'd be totally destroyed. Now that's full on ghetto!
:D
ps: Sorry Roln, just blame it on my advanced age... wink
[ October 17, 2003, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: DogHouse ]

roln 20s
10-17-2003, 01:52 PM
An H2 with 35s on 18s looks ok, although I probably wouldn't buy one just because of the poser factor. An H2 with 24s just looks idiotic in my book... Here's this big fugly truck thingie that's supposed to be some hardass off road rig and it's rollin' on wheels and tires that would make it about 100 yds off road to the first rock outcropping where they'd be totally destroyed. Now that's full on ghetto!
ps: Sorry Roln, just blame it on my advanced age...
I knew you were going to reply to this :D I also knew your response before you wrote it :D I'm not going to blame it on your advanced age, I'm just going to credit wisdom. I'm just too young to learn from my mistakes, and understand this whole practical thing. Looks prevail for me, but I have to admit, an Escalade or Denali on 23's and 24's is sweet, but an H2 needs some big tires, not rims. That setup on the 35's with the 18 billet rims was bad, I'll have to post some pics. Any age person would have to like that-hehe :D
You get your drive problem fixed?
Roln 20s (still too young to understand practicality)

Ducatista
10-17-2003, 01:55 PM
Your 3/4 ton Burb is more of a tow vehicle that the H2, that is for sure. The H2 is quite a capable tow vehicle in its own right, but its no 3/4 ton Burb when it comes to towing bigger rigs. Now that 6500....attach 36 Skater here!

DogHouse
10-17-2003, 02:09 PM
roln 20s:
...Any age person would have to like that-hehe :D
You get your drive problem fixed?
Roln 20s (still too young to understand practicality) Eh, what did ya say there sonny??? My hearing ain't what it used to be! :D
Drive is still bashed up. I did talk to my insurance guy today though. He laughed at me because he gets this same claim all the time. It is covered though so it will get fixed a little sooner than I thought. Hooray! :cool:

Dr. Eagle
10-17-2003, 02:10 PM
Ducatista:
Your 3/4 ton Burb is more of a tow vehicle that the H2, that is for sure. The H2 is quite a capable tow vehicle in its own right, but its no 3/4 ton Burb when it comes to towing bigger rigs. Now that 6500....attach 36 Skater here! I have a 3/4 ton burb with the 8.1. It will outpull any other gas engined vehicle out there. And it is a nice ride too, with the autoride system. I would not even consider going to the Hummer II, and if I am not mistaken, the largest engine available for the HII is the 6.0.

DogHouse
10-17-2003, 02:18 PM
FYI, you guys with the 8.1, I just installed a Predator tuner from Diablo Sports in mine. Made a noticeable difference in throttle response and power. Mileage went up enough to make up for the required 91 oct fuel. Towing range is much better. Now I can get all the way to Havasu without stopping in Parker for gas, and I still have a little left when I get there. Even a single mpg increase when you're only getting 10 is a nice boost!
-brian

Laveyman
10-17-2003, 02:29 PM
DogHouse,
What did that system run ya? $$$
Doc Eagle,
I agree on the great towing power and ride on my Burb. I was just tossing out the question because I think the bitchin boat and H2 combo looks pretty impressive. Just not impressive enough to give up if they don't tow nearly as well as my Burb.

Ducatista
10-17-2003, 02:35 PM
Dr. Eagle:
Ducatista:
Your 3/4 ton Burb is more of a tow vehicle that the H2, that is for sure. The H2 is quite a capable tow vehicle in its own right, but its no 3/4 ton Burb when it comes to towing bigger rigs. Now that 6500....attach 36 Skater here! I have a 3/4 ton burb with the 8.1. It will outpull any other gas engined vehicle out there. And it is a nice ride too, with the autoride system. I would not even consider going to the Hummer II, and if I am not mistaken, the largest engine available for the HII is the 6.0. Yea the Vortec 6.0 is the only engine offered, and if you stay within the 6,700lbs weight limit, its a decent tow rig. Nothing compaired to a nice Burb equipted like yours though. I agree with you, I would not trade the Suburban for the H2. I watched a hour long program on the H2 and its development several months back. It is based on the Tahoe frame but that seemed to be where it simularities ended, short of some interior trim and stuff. It is an awsome vehicle in its own right, not quite a H1 on the off-road stuff, but still has about 70% of the H1's capabilities. They really put alot of design and engineering into that baby, I was impressed for what it is, but not by the tow ratings. It would look good in front of Lavyman's Ride I'll bet!
[ October 17, 2003, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Ducatista ]

Chase
10-17-2003, 02:36 PM
jackpunx?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/943Boat_and_truck-med.jpg [/QB]Cool Wakeboard tower on this boat....
Just kidding!!

jackpunx
10-17-2003, 02:37 PM
LOL

DogHouse
10-17-2003, 02:39 PM
Laveyman:
DogHouse,
What did that system run ya? $$$
$419 from Runninwiththedevil (http://www.runninwiththedevil.com). James is very helpful.
The system has some neat features like real-time data monitoring and fault code debugging. It can also accept custom tuning files that can be provided by your sale person (James in my case). The files are emailed to you, then they are download from your pc to the tuner, and then flash programed to the truck's PCM.

Dr. Eagle
10-17-2003, 02:54 PM
jackpunx:
LOL LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

78DiMarco
10-17-2003, 03:43 PM
Well guys here it is. I have the H2 and I went from a Silverado 2500 Extended Cab with the 6.0 motor. The truck did tow better because of the longer wheel base and it was a little lighter vehicle. I bought the H2 for the better ride and more comfort. I hear all the crap about buying it for a status thing but that wasn't me. I was bummed when I heard through the grapevine that friends of mine were saying that I bought it for the status thing. What a bunch of crap...
The H2 has a different feel to it over the truck. The power range is different and it weighs over 6000 pounds and has a softer air suspension. It would seem like a slug to some but once you get use to it it drives just fine, like a freaking tank. If you buy it to zip around in you must be nuts. I have over 26,000 miles on mine in the year I've had it and I'm satified with it except for all the bull I get for owning one. Some people love them and some people hate them (mostly tree huggers hate them). I tow the 21ft cruiser and it does fine.
I remember someone said it's huge, not really if you put it side by side with a Tahoe or Suburban. Yes, it is wider but it is pretty short. The wheelbase is most likely longer than a Tahoe as the rear axle is set back as there is not much fender behind the rear axle. This is a GM product but the chassis and suspension are made for the vehicle not just parts from the Tahoe line. I'm sure there are many common parts though. It could have more storage inside because you have this humungo spare time in the back. An optional tire carrier is available but I didn't want to hassle with it to get in the back.
I bought it for the comfort and to tow my boat. If I didn't need to tow I may have bought something else. I didn't want to buy another Suburban, Tahoe or Escalade as they are all over the place. So I figured I would buy the H2 as they were new and kind of a cool vehicle. I guess not after seeing all the crap about them.
Well there you have it, its just a vehicle and it shouldn't be a big deal whether you drive a Hummer, Suburban or an F250...

78DiMarco
10-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Oh one other thing. I wouldn't be towing anything over 25 feet long with the H2 with out adding a blower to the H2. I still think a longer wheelbase vehicle with a big block would be more suited for that.

Ducatista
10-17-2003, 04:13 PM
quote: I hear all the crap about buying it for a status thing but that wasn't me. I was bummed when I heard through the grapevine that friends of mine were saying that I bought it for the status thing. What a bunch of crap...
Your right, and I edited my post and removed "status symbol" and replaced it with " H2". I was off base with that reference. I think its an awsome vehicle and would be proud to own one, as you are too. Peace
[ October 17, 2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Ducatista ]

LHC30Victory
10-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Love towing our 30 Victory with my 96 3500 Chev Crew Cab with a Vortec 7.4L. But, here is one to consider>
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/778DueceAndaHalf.gif
[ October 18, 2003, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

LHC30Victory
10-17-2003, 05:51 PM
OK, too much Corona tonight. Will someone get those da@@< tags right for me? thanks! frown

j-rod
10-17-2003, 06:03 PM
The H2 is the number 1 worst SUV (saw it on the news) I would stay with one of American top 3 trucks /SUVs

Dr. Eagle
10-17-2003, 06:58 PM
78DiMarco:
I've had it and I'm satified with it except for all the bull I get for owning one. Some people love them and some people hate them (mostly tree huggers hate them). Good reason to buy one.....I hate TREE HUGGERS!!!
argue :D :D :D :D :D

rrrr
10-17-2003, 08:05 PM
A guy I work with has an H2, biggest POS I've driven in a long time. It cost over $50K, and only has room for five people. The crapola 6.0 can't move it for shit, and it gets 10 MPG on a good day. Vision is terrible, and the interior and controls are typical GM plastic shit.
I paid $42K for my 2003 Excursion Limited with a 6.0 diesel. That includes every option available, positraction, DVD, blah blah.
I took a trip up to Oklahoma yesterday, drove 70-85 MPH. According to trip computer, mileage was around 18 MPG. We took a trip to New Mexico in May, seven people comfortable and watching movies while I pushed the button to near 100 MPH. We averaged 17 MPG for the trip.
The Ex can tow 10,000 lbs. My big boat is around 6,000 lbs. including the trailer, and the Ex will accelerate going uphill like the boat isn't even back there.
Why anyone would buy one of those expensive Posermobiles is beyond me.

Faster Daddy
10-17-2003, 11:19 PM
I think H2's look bitch'n. But I don't think I want it as a tow vehicle. I tow with a 2000 Excursion v10 4x4 and don't have any complaints. Plenty of room for the fam, plenty of power for those long desert trips and comfortable. We put the kids in the far back fold down middle seats so they can stretch out and watch movies and theres still plenty of room for our gear behind the back seat. I don't think thats possible in an h2. btw - mines a daily driver and just turned 105k regular oil changes and never any other problems (knock wood).