PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Registration

LUVNLIFE
05-31-2003, 09:22 PM
Hey gang. Not long ago there was a thread about regin a vehicle in Arizona but living in Cali. I've looked up and down and am lost and can't find. Any help? Thank

uvindex
05-31-2003, 09:47 PM
Howdy:
Thread is here: http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=003749
(it's on page 3 (now at least) of the Sandbar, subject is "Luxury Taxes.")
Good luck!

LUVNLIFE
06-01-2003, 09:19 AM
Thanks Rather Be but does the same work for car reg also.

Boatcop
06-01-2003, 01:21 PM
Beating a dead horse, but here it is again.
It is against California Law for a resident of that state to register their vehicle(s) anywhere else but California. UNLESS that vehicle is never ever brought into California.
A trailer is considered a "vehicle" for the purposes of this law, but a boat is not.
A resident is one who lives, works, votes, has driver's license, or sends kids to school in California. Having a vacation home in another state does not make you a "resident" of the other state.

LUVNLIFE
06-01-2003, 05:00 PM
The reason I ask is that I have a jeep that won't pass Ca. smog, but I use it strickly for offroad. In order to tag tow it behind my motorhome doesn't it have to be registered? That is why I was seeing to keep it registered in Arizona otherwise get a trailer. wink

LUVNLIFE
06-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Anybody??????? :D

JetBoatRich
06-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Cale you going to use your in-laws to register it?

Essex502
06-03-2003, 06:17 AM
I think Alan (Boatcop) answered your question. Pretty simple answer - if you are a CA resident your trailers, trucks and cars MUST be registered in CA unless you NEVER drive it or tow it in CA.

Floatin'
06-03-2003, 07:50 AM
One other thing to consider is if you are going to put it on a "open" trailer and tow the trailer the vehicle on the "open" trailer must also have a current registration or be classified non-operational. If you put it in a enclosed trailer that would not apply as they don't have the right to search your enclosed trailer. This situation happens very frequently in Glamis where they have registration check points setup on big weekends.

Essex502
06-03-2003, 07:57 AM
Floatin' - Don't kid yourself...our illustrious Supreme Court has ruled that any officer that stops you on the highway DOES have the right to search you whenever they please.

Metal_King
06-03-2003, 01:21 PM
This is what I have done.
I have registered the boat in Arizona and the trailer in California. I got stopped by a CHP for registering my old boat AND trailer in Arizona. He wrote me a fix it ticket for the TRAILER and NOT the boat. He said he could care less about the boat (The boat is not "touching" the highway).
I suggest you do this.
It costs me $88 a year to register my 21' Rogers in AZ.

Havasu Cig
06-03-2003, 03:30 PM
The boat does not have to be registered in California, but the trailer does. You are supposed to register boats in the state of primary use. It is not a vehicle per the California vehicle Code.
He must have thought he would make you feel better by telling you he was not going to write you for the boat.

LUVNLIFE
06-03-2003, 06:30 PM
Floatin that is what I intended to do is reg it as nonop and pull it behind the motorhome but then I guess the vehicle has to be fully registered in Cali I guess. That is where I intend on using it is Glamis, not trying to cheat the law but at least save some money. Thanks for the info. Yea Rich I thought I could use their address. Still though does it have to be fully registered to tag toe behind a motorhome or can it be nonoperational Essex 502?

Essex502
06-04-2003, 02:35 PM
That one I couldn't answer. I would ASSUME that if it is on a trailer the Non-op would be no problem. Trailered behind a motorhome and touching the ground...don't know but might be a little more difficult to beat the ticket if written.

Essex502
06-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Another thought...since the registration fee is based on the value of the vehicle maybe selling it to a buddy for, say, $100 then buying it back after he registers the vehicle for the same $100 bucks you might lower the "value" enough to not worrry about it!

uvindex
06-04-2003, 02:44 PM
I think a non-op vehicle needs to stay off the roads period (even if towed) to be legal. Whenever the vehicle code (easy to find on the web) mentions nonoperation, it uses the following words:
"...of nonoperation prior to the date the vehicle is first operated, moved, or left standing upon any highway during the current registration year..."
One time I hired a tow truck to move a non-op (non-running) vehicle I owned from point A to point B. Tow truck driver wouldn't tow it unless I rode in the cab with him -- he said so that I would be there to get the ticket if we got pulled over!
Good luck.

LUVNLIFE
06-04-2003, 06:09 PM
Yea I think the same. O well time to buy the enclosed trailer the wife always wanted. Thanks for the info and keep it coming.

Infomaniac
06-04-2003, 06:27 PM
WopOnWater just posted that California registration is only 9.00