PDA

View Full Version : Boat stuff ---> Gotta Haves? & Good-to-Haves?

MagicMtnDan
07-20-2003, 05:34 PM
Seeing as how most people don't buy many brand new boats in their lifetimes, it's something that can be done right, not-so-right and just plain badly.
Wanting to avoid that I've been checking boat makers' standard product lists and option lists to understand what they offer and what can be added on prior to delivery.
If you were going to buy a brand new custom boat, what items would be:
1. Gotta Haves?
and
2. Good-to-Haves?
For example (some questions):
* Gauges - does it matter who makes them? If so, which brand(s) best and which ones to avoid? And what gauges are most important and which ones are cool-to-have? (ie: GPS speedo? GPS? Compass? Blue water indicators?)
* Trim Tabs - which ones are best? Which ones to avoid? What about mechanical indicators?
* Other stuff - what about billet stuff? What are the must-haves? What are the items that can really make a boat look better? (ie: battery box? Swim step hardware? Seat Bases? How about those trick Dana scissors hatch lifts?)
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/partImages/PH-0010-1.jpg
I can use your input and it's a topic I haven't seen covered here before (although it may have been). Thanks

sandblasted
07-20-2003, 05:49 PM
I would guess most custom boats come with all the things you really need...Here's what I would get if I was ordering a brand new boat...
Get it with the bimini top...I bought mine after market and it was $600 with stainless poles...
If you get billett swim steps get them with the rubber inserts..Mine do not have them and everyone that has got on my boat has slipped!!
Usually custom boats come with 4 speakers...have the wires run for more speakers so you don't have to remove the side panels to do it yourself..or see if they willl do a custom stereo install as the boat is rigged.
Get the wired remote off the transom, keeps you from having to jump in the boat to change CD's..
Have a cigarette lighter/powerpoint installed....great for inflating the water toys and for a spotlight at night..
Get the dual batteries...if not standard.
Thats just a few things i can tink of...I'm sure others will add alot more!

burtandnancy
07-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Not just dual batteries, gel filled for everyone in hot climates. Put them in and forget about them...

Duck
07-20-2003, 07:56 PM
I vote for a fuel pressure and oil temp gauge.
Bimini is a must. Built on jack at axles of trailer in case of flat, just pull forward a bit and your up in the air. Wired remote for stereo for the driver. Dual gell batteries is good too.
All the motor you can afford is a given. Duck

Havasu Luvr
07-20-2003, 08:24 PM
Hey Dan, you need to answer a few questions
First, what kind of boating are you going to do?
Second, what type of boat ie "V" or Cat.?
Third, what length can you afford?
Now that we have answered these question we can make that list you want "Gotta Have & Good to Have". The "Gotts Have" is usually standard equipment with most manufactures with a few exceptions. The "Good to Have" is all the other trick items that we want to show-off the boat with. It all boils down to the "Old Pocket Book", how many figures $$$$$ can I afford :D ???. And to answer the question from other boards argue .. "YES ! ! ! BIGGER IS BETTER ! ! and YES ! ! ! BIGGER DOES BELONG ON FRESH WATER ! ! :D
Good luck
[ July 20, 2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Luvr ]

mmered8299
07-20-2003, 09:27 PM
For your boat tarp.....Don't get it with those black straps and platic clips! They mark up the white gel coat and its hard to remove. Try rope or straps make out of the tarp material with velcro!

MagicMtnDan
07-20-2003, 09:28 PM
Havasu Luvr:
Hey Dan, you need to answer a few questions
First, what kind of boating are you going to do?
Second, what type of boat ie "V" or Cat.?
Third, what length can you afford?Good questions for sure:
1. Mostly lake, some river and occasional ocean trip to Catalina with others.
2. V-bottom
3. 25' long with 496HO is the plan

79Hawaiian
07-20-2003, 09:51 PM
Be careful when adding the goodies from the builder that you can buy yourself and bolt on. Example: My boss told me he paid over a thousand for his stainless prop from the dealer. As he put it "What the hell? It's only $7 a month more right?" He could have bought it online for $400 and sunk $600 into a custom stereo system or water toys. They will rape you if you let them.

wsuwrhr
07-21-2003, 04:09 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63lplatewhoop.jpg
Billet ey? In my opinion, nothing beats polished aluminum. I think you need to add a trick plate frame to the list.
I second everyone's suggestions, dual Optimas, power by a Dodge :) , and all the power you can afford. Just don't go nuts on the add-ons, buy all those parts yourself and put them on in the driveway of your house.
Brian
[ July 21, 2003, 05:10 AM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]