PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Durango towing

Lakemead1
02-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Does anyone have a newer Durango they tow with? If so how do you like it, and what engine do you have (4.7 or 5.9) and axle ratio (basically what's it's towing capacity because they vary widely)?

mbrown2
02-18-2003, 10:44 AM
Ask Froggystyle, he tows with one, and likes it.

STV_Keith
02-18-2003, 10:50 AM
Hey Greg. My ex got my Durango. 5.9l 360 with the 3.92 tow package. Rated for 7600# I believe. I once towed my TA over to CA (about 6000# total) and it did fine.

Lakemead1
02-18-2003, 10:51 AM
Hey Greg. My ex got my Durango. 5.9l 360 with the 3.92 tow package. Rated for 7600# I believe. I once towed my TA over to CA (about 6000# total) and it did fine.
Bummer! :mad:
I'm thinking more the 4.7, but I'm more curious than anything - if it tows fine I going to check it out more.

Seadog
02-18-2003, 11:13 AM
I have the Dakota with the 4.7. Fantastic engine. Tow rating is 6300. The 4.7 is quicker than the 5.9 and has the more reliable tranny unless you go manual. The only way you would need the 5.9 is if you did a lot of towing at the upper limits. If you wait, the Durango is being updated next year and should eventually have the 5.7 hemi. Check out Mopar news web site. (http://www.car-truck.com)or this on the 2005 Durango (http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz03/b010503.htm)
[ February 18, 2003, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Seadog ]

STV_Keith
02-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Greg, my roommates girl has a 4.7 Durango and I have used that to tow my boat a few times...but you know it doesn't weigh much. Towed that very well.

gmnhra
02-18-2003, 12:16 PM
i have a 2002 4x4 durango...5.9 motor with 3.92 rear ratio..
i put a set of airbags on the back to level the ride....no other mods...
i pull a 25 daytona on a triple axle trailer and have no problems...most of the time the trans stays in overdrive...on chariacco summit grade out of indio i will take it out of overdrive and slow to 50/55 mph...otherwise it is 68-72 mph all the way...gas mileage sucks (9/10 towing) but what doesn't...

Foss75
02-18-2003, 01:14 PM
I have a 2000 Durango, 5.9 motor and 3.92 axle. I have just some basic mods to it; Flowmaster exhaust, K&N filter, Airade, and Jet Chip. I tow a 21 foot Ultra on a double axle trailer. It tows great! It towed good before I added the extras. The whole set-up weighs about 3500 pounds. The truck will pull 7600 pounds. I can make almost the entire trip from Huntington Beach to Laughlin in OD, with the exception of the Cajon Pass. Even then it still pulls right along. Mileage sucks though. 10 MPG at best! I wouldn't suggest the 4.7 motor. My buddy has the same boat as I do and he hates the way his Durango tows with that motor.

Mandelon
02-18-2003, 03:02 PM
I think Froggy has a Durango......

Froggystyle
02-18-2003, 03:56 PM
As has been mentioned... I have an 01 Durango 5.9 R/T and dig it the most. I love the truck, but soon will be buying a 2003 Dodge 3/4 Ton.
The Durango tows great for enthusiast use. For serious duty towing, which I plan on doing a lot of I am stepping up to the diesel. Otherwise, I have towed quite large boats (28 Stealth, 27 Shadow) with relative ease. The tranny will heat up on those long hills though. So far no problems.
Why, are you interested in buying one?
If so, I know this guy with a really nice R/T for sale on 20" rims... wink

Lakemead1
02-18-2003, 04:17 PM
They're running specials out here in Vegas at Towbin. I was kicking around the idea :rolleyes: but it's gotta tow a boat good :D
It's sounding like the 4.7 would do OK, but I keep hearing about rotors warping on those and the dakotas. I've figured out my Tahoe has more towing capacity though.

Trash
02-18-2003, 04:22 PM
Get as much towing power as you can afford. Kind of like boat motors. You can never have too much. Diesel is the way to go. The motors are bullet proof, fuel is generally less expensive, and they maintain their rated power regardless of elevation if turbocharged. Oh, and mileage is better towing or not. Only difference is I have to buy 4 gallons of oil vice 4-5 quarts per oil change.
While many vehicles are rated for XXXX lbs., typically they are not at all comfortable to tow at these limits, and usually struggle.
Here's my personal example:
Boat/trailer = 5000 lbs (incl. fuel, gear etc)
First truck: Explorer V-6, limited slip, towing package etc. Rated for 5200 lbs.
MPG = 10 at best (towing). Engine worked its ass off. It sucked. Couldn't get up the access road at San Vicente floored, running start in 1st gear!! Had to block off the road while I backed down this twisty narrow road with the front wheels at times skidding! Yikes.
Second truck (one week after the above mentioned incident): Full size Bronco w/351, 3.55 gears, tow package etc. Rated for 7000 lbs.
MPG = 10 +/- 1 (towing) aahh, much better towing, but still working up the steep hills. Most the time out of O/D, and in 2nd and 3700 rpm or so doing 55 mph (up steep hills that is).
Third truck (5 years later): Excursion Limited with diesel, loaded. Rated for 10,000 or so lbs.
MPG = 13 at 65 with cruise on. Stays in OD up nearly all hills. Truck weighs one ton more than the Bronco, has a nearly 100 cubic inch bigger engine, tows faster and gets better mileage both towing and non-towing. I can have my cake and eat it too!
I don't ever plan on purchasing a boat bigger than 26', so some will say I've got overkill for what I tow with now. Probably, but it makes life a lot easier.
Sorry for the diatribe...

Lakemead1
02-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Good stuff! I'm thinking the Tahoe is better for towing vs. the 4.7 Durango. No deals on the 5.9 and I hear that mileage is not so great. I get pretty decent mileage with the Tahoe.

Trash
02-18-2003, 09:58 PM
Regarding gas mileage when towing, and this relationship was not highlighted as much as I wanted in my last post:
As a rule of thumb (my rule of thumb that is..), regardless of what engine is in your truck (I'm talking gas engines to gas engines here), when towing the same boat, the mileage is about the same. Notice how my V-6 and 351 V-8 got the same mileage? I've known others who have towed the same weights with big blocks and also got around 10 mpg. So what does it all mean? The smaller engines are working a lot harder and the bigger ones a lot less, which equates to longer engine life. If you're gonna get 10 mpg, I'd rather be doing it with a 454 than a 240 cid V-6. Plus you've got reserve power when needed.

B-rad502
02-19-2003, 05:53 AM
Hey Greg!!!! If you guys are looking at towing with an suv, stick with the Tahoe, they are great!! We'll always have one in the family, momma loves hers!!

nhbuoy
02-19-2003, 06:47 AM
HEY GREG...I was wondering where the Las Vegas web site tycoon had gone!!!Nice to see you're still out there...How you doin???...I've missed ya!!!...BTW...I have a 2000 Durango SLT plus w/ the 5.9/360 ci, 3.92 POSI rear end, K+N filter + ram tube, & "R/T" chip; it is definitely a tow monster (under 7500 lbs) & goes like a raped ape, but the gas mileage REALLY SUCKS (towing or not), NOT that I care, but it is something to consider$$$...I think if I was going to do it again, I would probably go with the new SXT version which comes with the "smaller" motor but a VERY similiar towing capacity...(GET THE POSI REAR END & towing package!!!)...I have found the rotors to NOT be a problem if you break them in "easy" & "cycle/season" them (brakes) properly...HEAT warps rotors...There is nothing wrong with a TAHOE except that it is a CHEVY!!!...hahaha...>>>LATAPOTATA>>>>>>

Seadog
02-19-2003, 09:38 AM
The brakes on the Dakota/Durango have the same problem that I have seen reported on the chevies and Fords. When they switched to metallic brakes, people complained about the squeaking. Bendix or whoever switched to a softer compound for the rotors. This has caused a lot of warped rotors. It is happening to all the manufacturers and they are starting to solve the problem. For those who are stuck, the best solution seems to be Powerslot rotors with Raybestoes ceramic pads. The Dakota with the 4.7 is a nice for towing with the 3.92 LSD. I tow up and down hills all the time, but if I am going to haul over 5000 lbs for more than 75 miles one way every week, I would move to a full size pickup.

Lakemead1
02-19-2003, 10:20 AM
Buoy, good to hear from you too dude! How's life treating you? Still wreaking havoc over on S & F? :D
Thanks for the info. everyone - good stuff! I'm still kicking it around and learning a bunch about towing.
Does anyone have this problem - BRad? Here's the deal - I've got a 2000 Tahoe with the 5.3. When towing the essex, I get what seems to me at least an unusual amount of sway - passing trucks, a little wind, anything. Is that just normal and I have to deal with it, or is there anything I can do to reduce it? I usually tow around 65 mph on the stretches, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. But it just seems that the boat makes the tahoe sway too much. Do you get that BRad?

SANGERBRU
02-19-2003, 08:25 PM
I tow with the new CAD Escalade,tow about 5500 lbs and get 14 MPG ,with power to pass.I would go with the larger power option.
My .02 worth. Bru