PDA

View Full Version : stereos

vodkarocks
08-15-2003, 01:18 PM
What is the best stereo to put in a new boat

mickeyfinn
08-15-2003, 01:18 PM
vodkarocks:
What is the best stereo to put in a new boat KRACO????

Slick
08-15-2003, 01:20 PM
Audiovox

JetBoatRich
08-15-2003, 01:21 PM
Realistic eek!

HOOTER SLED-
08-15-2003, 01:34 PM
Nothing like a Sparkomatic!!
HOOTER

Trailer Park Casanova
08-15-2003, 01:38 PM
We have the Sony 1000W with tower speakers.
The sony Transom remote needs to be perfected, they aren't waterproof like sony claims.
The rest of the unit nice, and works well with our XM sat system.
It has an explode feature that really revs the unit up, easily outblasts others in the area if ya want to.

HOOTER SLED-
08-15-2003, 01:44 PM
Seriously, I have always bought Pioneer. Never had problems. I run about 1000 watts in my boat.
HOOTER

Havasu_Dreamin
08-15-2003, 01:48 PM
It's all about the 8-track baby! smile_sp

trollmac
08-15-2003, 02:00 PM
The one I don't have to listen to when I am 25 feet away from you.

ROZ
08-15-2003, 02:54 PM
It's really hard to say which stereo is THE best when there are many different products that fit different peoples needs.
What do you demand from your boat's stereo?
If you're looking for units that have marine remote controls check out Sony(water resistant remote...also has 10 disc changer w/12 sec memmory), Clarion(waterproof stereos and remotes), Kenwood, JVC, and MB Quart(comming out soon). Sony and MB's have LCD dispays on the remote....Sony is the most cost effective..
If you're looking into getting a stereo that's geared a little bit more toward a "techy" person who demands a lot of funtions, look ar Alpine(easy to use), Eclipse(easy to use), Kenwood, and Pioneer...
All but Eclipse offer satellite radio.....
As with everything, you get what you pay for...

Mr. Naudio
08-15-2003, 03:00 PM
All good choices but I like the SONY CDXMP80 for its 4 volt preouts, sub control,xm ready,g shock, accepts remotes, dso,built in eq, and of course the nobs.

got river?
08-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Our boat came with the Clarion head unit which has worked very well.
Our tower speakers are Fluid Concepts, which use Kenwood innards.
Installation was done by Audiotoyz in South Orange County. These guys do alot of boats and did great work on our boat. Amps, subs, extra battery, upgrade battery switch, all very clean finish work.
Although our stereo is very powerful, we use it with discretion :)
Josh

Holland
08-15-2003, 03:10 PM
Have a sony head and sony 5 channel amp... Amp goes out on thermal and has to be reset too often.. Changing it when i get mo $

Mr. Naudio
08-15-2003, 03:18 PM
Dont really like the sony amps in a boat,for the reason you state. If you have more than 4 speakers conected (not counting sub) make sure
they are wired in series and not parallel.
This would cause the amp to get hot much quicker.

npb4me
08-15-2003, 03:21 PM
I have this in my boat:
Clarion headunit with transom remote
Clarion 12 Disc changer
2-Rockford Fosgate 600.4 mid amps
1-Rockford Fosgate 800.2 sub amp
8 Pioneer 6x9's
4 Clarion 6.5 mids
2-JL Audio 12W3 Subwoofers
I love loud music.

ROZ
08-15-2003, 03:28 PM
Mr. Naudio:
All good choices but I like the SONY CDXMP80 for its 4 volt preouts, sub control,xm ready,g shock, accepts remotes, dso,built in eq, and of course the nobs. Like I said, it will be nice when MB Quart releases their marine unit and remotes (seen all the specs). The high end peeps will certainly enjoy it...Hopefully it will work better than anything off the Rockford Fosgate platform....
I think that if it wasn't for the price, water resistant remote, and type of memory skip, I think that many people would rather use something else...

Mr. Naudio
08-15-2003, 03:33 PM
Agree on all counts .
The MBQUART unit is on national back order till when?When it does get to the stores bett you will see an awful lot of them in boats.

1stepcloser
08-15-2003, 03:33 PM
ROZ:
I think that if it wasn't for the price, water resistant remote, and type of memory skip, I think that many people would rather use something else... Uhhh, that'd be a roger there buddy.
Hopefully it will work better than anything off the Rockford Fosgate platformWell, I guess we know where you stand on this issue.
I believe you know my feelings as well. wink

CA Stu
08-15-2003, 03:37 PM
So if you lived in Riverside, had a 2001 Chaparral w/the 4 speaker Sony setup (which sounds OK, really), and you wanted to give it some bass and some volume, who would you send it to, and how far could you get for a grand?
Thanks
CA Stu

ROZ
08-15-2003, 03:42 PM
1stepcloser:
Hopefully it will work better than anything off the Rockford Fosgate platformWell, I guess we know where you stand on this issue.
I believe you know my feelings as well. wink [/QB][/QUOTE]
I'm just talking about RF's headunit....

Mr. Naudio
08-15-2003, 03:42 PM
ROZ and as far as possible.

Mr. Naudio
08-15-2003, 03:45 PM
How do you do that quote thing?

ROZ
08-15-2003, 03:57 PM
CA Stu:
So if you lived in Riverside, had a 2001 Chaparral w/the 4 speaker Sony setup (which sounds OK, really), and you wanted to give it some bass and some volume, who would you send it to, and how far could you get for a grand?
Thanks
CA Stu If you're just adding wiring, a mono block, sub, and install, I think it possible to do it under or at a grand...

Havasu Hangin'
08-15-2003, 04:01 PM
ROZ:
If you're just adding wiring, a mono block, sub, and install, I think it possible to do it under or at a grand... At $75/hour for the install, better go with that Rockwood stuff.

CA Stu
08-15-2003, 04:06 PM
Havasu Hangin':
ROZ:
If you're just adding wiring, a mono block, sub, and install, I think it possible to do it under or at a grand... At $75/hour for the install, better go with that Rockwood stuff. Oh the pleasure of being a newbie! :)
What the hell does that mean, please ?
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Thanks
CA Stu

jbtrailerjim
08-15-2003, 04:07 PM
CA Stu:
Thanks
CA Stu Take it to the Audio Shoppe in Riverside and talk to Alan. His work is top notch and he stands behind all of his work. His phone # is 909-787-0550.

Havasu Hangin'
08-15-2003, 04:12 PM
CA Stu:
What the hell does that mean, please?I hear there's alot of $20,000 stereos out there. If your gonna spend $1,000:
$750 in install (10 hours)
$250 in equipment
Make sure you get a sticker or two...

CA Stu
08-15-2003, 04:24 PM
Havasu Hangin':
CA Stu:
What the hell does that mean, please?I hear there's alot of $20,000 stereos out there. If your gonna spend $1,000:
$750 in install (10 hours)
$250 in equipment
Make sure you get a sticker or two... Sweet! I love stickers!!
How about we save all the time and effort and I just get $1k worth of stickers ?
I know my Chap is never going to be a "Hot Boat", but at least I can keep it cherry, put decent tunes in it, and it'll do for me and the gang a couple of years.
I should have done more research before I bought it, the RRX poker run deal just gave me a woodie for a big pissed off boat.
I'm not completely stereo retarded, I did have a real nice setup of Kenwood over Kenwood into nice Alpines at one point, installed by AutoSound of Riverside.
I would like something that'll be a quality system, good components, with a clean install and even cleaner sound, and durable in a marine environment.
Plus if it's loud enough, I can make a tape of someone's built blower motor at idle and blast the recording whilst idling through the channel. Sitting in the boat going "BLAP a ta RUMP a ta BLAPATABLAPATABLAPATA" isn't fooling anyone over 7 years old. :rolleyes:
Thanks
CA Stu

Holland
08-15-2003, 05:53 PM
Mr. Naudio:
Dont really like the sony amps in a boat,for the reason you state. If you have more than 4 speakers conected (not counting sub) make sure
they are wired in series and not parallel.
This would cause the amp to get hot much quicker. Mr. Naudio, I actually do have one set of speakers in parallel, and I am sur that is killin me, I am debating on getting an additional 4 channel amp drive more speakers and keep them in series as it should be, you concur??

Trailer Park Casanova
08-15-2003, 08:53 PM
Hey, beware of the Sony Hardwired remotes. They aren't waterproof or even resistant like SONY claims.
I've been through several of them this summer, and are about to replace another.
You WILL have problems with them..
The rest of their stuff is awsum,,,
Just my advise and free advise is worth what ya paid for it...

El Chingon
08-15-2003, 09:12 PM
Havasu Hangin':
[QUOTE]
Make sure you get a sticker or two... I'm still waiting for my "Sounds by ROZ" sticker. :D He is the KING!!!

GlastronGuy
08-15-2003, 09:58 PM
El Chingon:
Havasu Hangin':
[QUOTE]
Make sure you get a sticker or two... I'm still waiting for my "Sounds by ROZ" sticker. :D He is the KING!!! Sign me up, I am in!

Mr. Naudio
08-16-2003, 05:03 AM
Mr. Naudio, I actually do have one set of speakers in parallel, and I am sur that is killin me, I am debating on getting an additional 4 channel amp drive more speakers and keep them in series as it should be, you concur?? I would need to know alot more about your system
to answer that beyond the point of yes more amps would power more speakers.
Alot of times more speakers just add more noise,and not always more of the good sounds you are looking for.
More amps may require battery upgrades.

rivercrazy
08-16-2003, 10:09 AM
To me the better brands for marine audio are Alpine, JBL, and up upcoming MB Quart in terms of head units. While I have a Sony and its been reliable so far, its an older "ES" series unit. A few years ago when they dropped the ES series and went with the expode series, I have heard they sent south on quality and reliability big time....If I ever upgrade or replace my head unit, it will be either JBL or the new MBQ.
To me some of the better amplifers out there are JL Audio, Phoenix Gold, JBL Power series or the new JBL BPX series, at least among the more affordable amps anyway...

hd&boatrider
08-16-2003, 10:55 AM
CA Stu [/qb][/QUOTE]Take it to the Audio Shoppe in Riverside and talk to Alan. His work is top notch and he stands behind all of his work. His phone # is 909-787-0550. [/QB][/QUOTE]
I was a firm believer in the Audio SHopp as they did mine...That is until Wired 4 Sound did an upgrade for me. They showed me that I had no fuse as the system was directly connected to the batteries. NOT GOOD. Also the amps broke loose and fell. I can deal with that but the wires were dangling and could have caused one hell of a fire and destroyed my boat and put lives in jeporady. I guess I am just lucky. That is why The Audio Shopp will never get my business again. What they failed to do is basic installation 101. I paid too much for that kind of shit to potentially happen. For the record I have:
1-Eclipse head unit
2-JL Subs
6-JL 6X9's
4-JL 5X7's (I think)
3-JL Amps
3-Blue Top Optima Batteries
1-Odessey battery
Talk to Roz about your gear and take it to Wired 4 Sound in Temecula and I gurantee that you will be very happy.
[ August 16, 2003, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: hd&boatrider ]

h2oski2fast
08-16-2003, 12:47 PM
Having been a sales rep for the mobile eletronics industry, I would definately take my toys to the Audio Shoppe before taking it to Wired 4 Sound. No offense to anyone, it's just my opinion.
[ August 16, 2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: h2oski2fast ]

h2oski2fast
08-16-2003, 01:07 PM
Remember that you can have tons of money into a stereo, but if it's not designed and installed correctly then it won't perform right.
Here are a few pics of my system. Sony head unit, Zapco preamp, Hifonics Gen X amps, Diamond audio speakers. All powered by 4 Oddyssey batteries.
http://home.socal.rr.com/signfx/DSC01534.JPG http://home.socal.rr.com/signfx/DSC01536.JPG http://home.socal.rr.com/signfx/DSC01537.JPG http://home.socal.rr.com/signfx/DSC01538.JPG http://home.socal.rr.com/signfx/DSC01539.JPG http://home.socal.rr.com/signfx/DSC01530.JPG

little rowe boat
08-16-2003, 02:08 PM
Call alan at the Audio Shoppe in riverside he does great work and he also advertises in ***boat magazine. :cool:

ROZ
08-16-2003, 11:53 PM
I heard that Dick Danger had an uplifting experience with the Audio Shoppe! :D

riverbound
08-17-2003, 11:58 AM
I took my boat to Al&Ed's in Ontario (after audio shoppe blew screws through my brand new gel coat) and the guys there know there stuff. they are all boaters them selves and they have done very good work for me over and over in all my boats and cars. You could pick up this months Sport truck magazine and see some of their work on the cover truck another one of their trucks is also on the cover of truckin mag . also One of the boats they working on when mine was there won the eliminator regatta this year.

riverbound
08-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Oh yeah and the Audio shoppe did NOT stand behind there mistake I hade to come out of my own pocket to fix my gel coat

ROZ
09-04-2003, 09:06 AM
Mr. Naudio:
The MBQUART unit is on national back order till when? They expect their 1st shipment to hit their whss late September or early October.

ROZ
09-04-2003, 09:50 AM
He has the remote that's made by Sony...You have the access technologies made Sony remote..
H20SkiFast, Who were you a MFG rep for?

BENZEEN
09-04-2003, 10:36 AM
vodkarocks:
What is the best stereo to put in a new boat Vod,
I saw a new digital music player on Etronics.com offered by Pioneer and Sony. They are fairly new, so they are pricey. Both function like a cd/am fm player however, they also store digital music. which means no skipping, even in rough water.
Good luck,
Vik

NastyOne
09-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Whatever you get, just make sure that if you are going to play it loud.... you better play good tunes. :D

MagicMtnDan
09-04-2003, 01:32 PM
OK, I gotta ask a question that's been bugging me for some time now.
You can get high quality audio components/systems for home use for a lot less than you can get mobile audio stuff. Why is that?
Sure, mobile stuff is smaller but what else makes the damn stuff so expensive compared to home equipment? Maybe I'm including installation in the pricing of mobile stuff which is why it's so costly?
Had to ask...

Phat_Kat
09-04-2003, 02:55 PM
ROZ:
It's really hard to say which stereo is THE best when there are many different products that fit different peoples needs.
What do you demand from your boat's stereo?
If you're looking for units that have marine remote controls check out Sony(water resistant remote...also has 10 disc changer w/12 sec memmory), Clarion(waterproof stereos and remotes), Kenwood, JVC, and MB Quart(comming out soon). Sony and MB's have LCD dispays on the remote....Sony is the most cost effective..
If you're looking into getting a stereo that's geared a little bit more toward a "techy" person who demands a lot of funtions, look ar Alpine(easy to use), Eclipse(easy to use), Kenwood, and Pioneer...
All but Eclipse offer satellite radio.....
As with everything, you get what you pay for... Hey Roz you're supposed to be the big audio nut so what do you think about KICKER's speakers? They have a marine set and they also have a set of car speakers with an 18 inch woofer. Sounds pretty trick to me if you were to but some good covers on the woofers to keep them safe from water. What's you thoughts?

ROZ
09-04-2003, 03:05 PM
MagicMtnDan:
You can get high quality audio components/systems for home use for a lot less than you can get mobile audio stuff. Why is that?
That depends on how you look at it..
A pair of Boston Acoustics VR3's cost about 1300.00 a pair....Comperable Boston Z6's for the car will cost about 1000.00 pr.
Good stereo reciever like a Denon DRA685 has a retail of 500.00, while a CDA9811 is 330.00.
The car stereo plays cd and MP3's, so you'll have to add atleast a 150.00 Denon cd player to the home system be comperable.
In order to get comperable power in the car as to in the home(12v vs 110v), your going to have to add an amp. Add 450.00 for a 3 channel Alpine amp. and 150.00 for a JL prefabbed and loaded 10" sub enclosure.
Wiring products for the car will probably run about 85. Comperable wiring for the home will be a little less....around 55.00.
So far you're looking at about 2005.00 for the home and about 2015. for the car... Having someone install the gear at your home will run you around 150.00. Basic(that's for you HH wink )install for this setup a car will set you back
about 200.00.
Total Home: 2155.00
Total Car: 2215.00
Not to far off......
EDIT: after tax(labor not taxed) the difference is about 60.00
[ September 04, 2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

ROZ
09-04-2003, 03:09 PM
RiverDave:
MagicMtnDan:
Sure, mobile stuff is smaller but what else makes the damn stuff so expensive compared to home equipment? Maybe I'm including installation in the pricing of mobile stuff which is why it's so costly?
Had to ask... What is : Becuase people will pay it?
Stereo's for 600 Alex.
RD wink :D Alex:
Almost right Dave, but we're goin to give it to you anyway. A better answer would have been what is supply and demand.
wink
[ September 04, 2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

ROZ
09-04-2003, 03:19 PM
PK, Kicker doesn't make a cover for the 18. You'd have to get a grill assembly made. That thing is built like a brick shithouse. Almost as heavey as one too eek!
As far as chosing a speaker. You really have to go listen to different MFG's products to find the sound YOU like. Just remember that you usually get what you pay for.
[ September 04, 2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Phat_Kat
09-04-2003, 03:31 PM
ROZ:
PK, Kicker doesn't make a cover for the 18. You'd have to get a grill assembly made. That thing is built like a brick shithouse. Almost as heavey as one too eek!
As far as chosing a speaker. You really have to go listen to different MFG's products to find the sound YOU like. Just remember that you usually get what you pay for. I figured it would be a beast. I was just wondering if you had any experience with them. I am looking into getting things like speaker grills as well as other marine accessories. You may remember my laser inquiry earlier and now I think I'll just have them machined. However, I may pick up a used laser to burn certain things that customers may want into the products.
Thanks
PK