PDA

View Full Version : Dock damages last night at Katherines Landing/Lake Mohave

hd&boatrider
08-26-2003, 10:52 PM
Must have been one of those damn storm bursts. I pulled my boat out early Monday morning. I am glad I did not stay one extra day. If you don't have a slip already don't even bother trying for Labor Day.
Storm damages docks at Katherine Landing
By JANIE TINNON
BULLHEAD CITY -- An evening storm collapsed walkways at Katherine Landing Monday leaving the area without electricity or fuel.
"There is no gas on land or at the water, gas docks," said Willie Lopez, Mohave District Ranger. "Also, there's no electricity throughout the marina. They're out of power. Patio boats are taking houseboat owners over to their boats."
There were no injuries during the storm, according to Lopez. However, search teams were in the area.
"We were fortunate that we didn't have any injuries," Lopez said. "During the storm we had quite a few search and rescues for missing people, but we were able to account for everyone."
Gas lines that go out to the gas stop, on the water, was also turned over during the storm.
"The gas lines are shut off and there was no leakage," Lopez said.
A houseboat nearly sunk but was saved.
"One houseboat was taking on water," Lopez said. But they were able to salvage it before it could go down."
Other boaters are helping out their neighbors in the crisis.
"Neighbors of absent houseboats owners are intermittently turning on generators so that food in the refrigerators don't spoil," Lopez said.
The Marina has four walkways that let boaters and houseboat residents gain access to their vessels. Some of the walkways sustained extensive damage.
"Essentially what happened," Lopez said. "Last night the storm was strong enough that it collapsed the walkway to Marina 1. They can't get to their boats because there is a gap, so they can't get to the other side of the Marina."
The Seven Crowns Resort is a concessionaire responsible for the Marina and houseboat rentals. The Resort started working on the docks at about 5:30 this morning, according to Lopez.
"The walkway was totally disconnected and submerged," Lopez said. "They are working on Marina 1 and trying to get that up as soon as they can."
The access road was also impacted by the storm.
"We had some erosion because the rain was so heavy," Lopez said. "Erosion of rocks along the access road created problems. We took our fire engines out and manually clear the roads. The rangers did a good job and worked hard."
The storm is the first in this area to cause this sort of damage, according to Lopez.
"I don't think we've had a storm to this magnitude," Lopez said. "We've had problems with facilities on the docks on occasion, but not to the magnitude we've had here."
Another storm from the east arrived later in the afternoon, bringing more lightning and rain.
"We've got everyone on standby," Lopez said.
There are preparations that may help to avoid incidents during the monsoon season. However, sometimes storms just come from "nowhere," according to Lopez.
"The best we can do is alert people of the weather conditions. People should listen to the weather radio. If they're on the water and they hear a storm is coming they should get to a safe shore or just get off the water.
"Sometimes these storms bring heavy lightning," Lopez said. "Some of the boats are so high that they are basically like lightning rods."

Kilrtoy
08-26-2003, 11:01 PM
WOW maybe they will finally put in some good doclks them make enough money....

hd&boatrider
08-26-2003, 11:03 PM
Kilrtoy:
WOW maybe they will finally put in some good doclks them make enough money.... Hopefully they will put good dock areas when they replace the damage but THEY ARE making a lot of money right now

HOOTER SLED-
08-27-2003, 11:11 AM
I wonder what that means for the holiday weekend. Damn, I'll be out there. I think I'm gonna launch at Telephone Cove.
HOOTER

TahitiSteve
08-27-2003, 07:08 PM
One of those storm bursts got the marina just down river from me on the Misissippi last year. No damage at all at my marina, my boat's probably 50 yards away from this damage.
http://www.pool26.com/26/images/stormdamage.jpg