PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone built a Porsche Speedster kit??

Hermosa
05-12-2003, 12:21 PM
Looking for info or advise on these kits. Getting a head start on a winter project, non boat related this time. Want to build a Speedster kit with a nasty little motor, does anyone know who builds one of the better kits (body kit). Any info appreciated. Thanks.

U-Haul
05-12-2003, 01:10 PM
I hear that Vintage Speedster in Hawaiian gardens is the best out there. Their web address is www.vintagespeedster.com. (http://www.vintagespeedster.com.)
Good Luck!!

wsuwrhr
05-12-2003, 02:55 PM
I have built speedsters and have been to the place in hawaiian gardens. I am a VW nut, I have a 2332 in a baja. What are you looking to know?
Brian

Ziggy
05-12-2003, 03:00 PM
I only have a friend who has restored a "real 356speedster" down to the plating of every bolt. If you have specific needs I may be able to get some info from him on it. PM me if you would like me to do so.

GlastronGuy
05-12-2003, 06:21 PM
U-Haul:
I hear that Vintage Speedster in Hawaiian gardens is the best out there. Their web address is www.vintagespeedster.com. (http://www.vintagespeedster.com.)
Good Luck!! No workie.

Oldsquirt
05-12-2003, 06:46 PM
It will work if you try it like this without the period after the "com"
http://www.vintagespeedsters.com/

GlastronGuy
05-12-2003, 06:48 PM
OLDSQUIRT:
It will work if you try it like this without the period after the "com"
http://www.vintagespeedsters.com/ DOH!
Thanks Craig. I should have seen that. :)

Hermosa
05-12-2003, 07:13 PM
U-Haul:
Good Luck!! Yes, I have heard they make a nice kit. I'm going to price it out and hopefully place an order this month...

OutCole'd
05-12-2003, 08:23 PM
wsuwrhr:
I have built speedsters and have been to the place in hawaiian gardens. I am a VW nut, I have a 2332 in a baja. What are you looking to know?
Brian Brian, I shot you 5 for being a VW nut. I used to race them years ago. Was doing 11.17 @ 113 in a full body sedan.

Hermosa
05-13-2003, 05:22 AM
wsuwrhr:
Brian I've always been a big fan of the Speedster style, but have been hesitant in building one because of the quality Speedsters I have seen in the past. Some of the kits are real junk, I have only seen a few good ones up close. I just want to make sure I get a good kit from a good builder where everything fits and the fiberglass is straight. I have heard from a few now that Vintage Speedster has a nice product, the two finished Speedsters that I know came from there are sturdy and look good after a few miles. Still looking at if I want to do it or not, but it will probably happen, I want one.

Hermosa
05-13-2003, 05:23 AM
Ziggy:
I only have a friend who has restored a "real 356speedster" down to the plating of every bolt. If you have specific needs I may be able to get some info from him on it. PM me if you would like me to do so. Thanks for the info Ziggy, I'll keep in touch if I need some info.

Scarabjet
05-13-2003, 11:16 AM
Hermosa,
If you wish to look @ a Vintage live, you're welcome to come over. I had one custom built in 2001 with only 900 miles, garaged next to my Scarab.
Rick

Hermosa
05-13-2003, 11:25 AM
Scarabjet, I might take you up on that. I'm leaning twards the Vintage since it seems to be one of the better ones, and it's made in So Cal, so I can drive down and pick it up, won't have to deal with shipping. I don't plan to start on it until this winter, so I have some time I guess. What size motor are you running???

Scarabjet
05-13-2003, 11:30 AM
Hermosa,
Check yourPM. I sent you some goodies....
Scarabjet

Scarabjet
05-13-2003, 11:40 AM
Hermosa,
It just came back "undeliverable". Not sure if I have your correct address. Feel free to contact me if you wish. I can fill you in & love to show off my Speedster. Kirk Duncan (owner of VS) is a very nice person.
Scarabjet

wsuwrhr
05-13-2003, 03:36 PM
OutCole'd:
Brian, I shot you 5 for being a VW nut. I used to race them years ago. Was doing 11.17 @ 113 in a full body sedan. Back at ya....
Cole'd
I'll be in your neighborhood this weekend, either out at Mead or doing barrel rolls above your house. I don't know what is on the plate just yet...
That is really quick for a full body. Were you running aspirated or turbo, and what size was the motor? I have been high 12's in mine, stock chassis with a cage, IRS, link pin, offroad tires.
I love driving it on the street, wheelies into 3rd gear.
Sorry about hijacking your thread Hermosa. That car will be pretty light, motor will not be a BIG issue as far a speed goes. If you are looking for trouble free, stay with a GOOD built 1600. Dont mind a little maintanance, stick with a stock crank and build a 1914. Wild setup, 2332 with 48IDF's and be prepared to TLC it to death. I have worked on and have had all three.
Brian
[ May 13, 2003, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

Rubths
05-13-2003, 04:25 PM
I have a fresh 2332 with a T-3 turbo for sale that would make that little car wicked on the streets. This motor makes a reliable 300hp to the ground but is designed to run up to 25 lbs of boost and 432hp. Motor is Dyno proven at Mech Tech! Had it rebuilt 3 months ago and has seen the sand 2 times since. Built with 7:75-1 compression and can run pump gas up to 10lbs boost. Dyno says 284hp 10 lbs boost.
Sorry for the SPAM

jus a baker
05-13-2003, 06:34 PM
it's nice to see some vee dub suport. it's so fun to spank guys that think they have a fast car with just a little (well not really little) air cooled motor.

wsuwrhr
05-13-2003, 07:11 PM
I smoked a paper plate vette this morning on the way to work from light to light. I think he went right to the dealer and took it back.
Brian

OutCole'd
05-13-2003, 07:28 PM
That is really quick for a full body. Were you running aspirated or turbo, and what size was the motor? I have been high 12's in mine, stock chassis with a cage, IRS, link pin, offroad tires.
Normally aspirated 1914 with 48 ida's and IRS. I also had a Baja with a 2110 running 48's. Never ran it on the track, but used to race it at the street races all the time. I would guess low 13's. Was always fun going up against the hot rod V8's and blowing them away. Have fun.

Hermosa
05-13-2003, 07:46 PM
I'm back! Man, I changed my email address, and it also changed my password here, took me out of the loop for a few hours. Anyhow, thanks for all the info. I need to get a short list together of what this is going to cost... I just ran into another project. My neighbor down the street is moving today, they hooked up the boat to the moving truck, and about 3 miles away, they smooked a wheel bearing, so they drug it back to their old house. This boat was sitting for three years in their garage, it's a 20'Eliminator Sprint with a bad 454 motor and OK jet.... Picked it up for $500.00!!!! Hull and trailer are in good shape, just really ugly original gel on the boat. They were in a hurry to get out of town, I think escro closed and they were a day late getting out. Took them an hour to dig out the paperwork on the trailer and boat, but it's all good and hard to believe, but up to date. I think the bad bearing welded itself to the spindle, they drug it for a mile or so back to the house, that's why I walked over to see what the dealio was... Just what I needed, another boat, my 2nd Sprint.

jus a baker
05-13-2003, 07:57 PM
Hey OutCole'd.....
Do you hang out with any of the vw clubs down there?