PDA

View Full Version : Route to Sandbar from the "Channel"

bear down
08-20-2003, 08:19 PM
Everytime I go from the channel to the Sandbar I really stress myself out. Not sure because I hit the sandbar in March on my maiden voyage on my new boat or because it is really stressfull. What is the easiest route to take to the Sandbar with out having to worry about the sandbar right at the entrance to the river portion on the way to Sandbar. The way I see is this way coming from the channel. Shoreline along the California side (left side) open water surface then I see a little island of weeds then another open water way then another island of weeds with a sand bar to the right then a water way then the Arizona shoreline (right side). What is the most common/safest route to take at all times in order to prevent damage to prop/hull/boat. Please save me the aggrivation. Thanks

77charger
08-20-2003, 08:27 PM
I use yto go from the ca side all the time usually hugged the shore and knew where to go.Mostly with a jet though but the water was deep enough for an i/o.Usually went passenger in an i/o too.This was 10 years ago and even up to last october.
Now with my new boat an i/o if i aint sure(looked scary to me last march actually barely tapped the bottom of the i/o)NO damage though.
If i aint sure i wait til i see a larger boat with an i/o and follow directly(safe distance of course)

mike37
08-20-2003, 08:28 PM
follow somone and see if they hit somthing if they do dont go that way

LHC30Victory
08-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Going N (upstream) simply stay about 150' to the AZ side of the large reed island in an arc to the bouys. I used to go balls to the wall on plane to get through on the ca side, but found that the AZ side was a lot easier.

eliminator235
08-20-2003, 09:18 PM
I was there last week, and does seem to be low on both sides? I have a depth gauge, and it read 4 feet on CA & AZ. It's kinda of nervy, in that you don't want to come off a plane, however speeding through low water is always a danger. You need to know how deep your hull / drive sit to be for sure.

mtndewdrops
08-20-2003, 10:02 PM
I took a run up to Topoc a week ago and it seemed really shallow on the AZ side. :( I kept my drive up, stayed on plane and was shooting for the darkest water I could find...the only bad thing about the BravoIII is having 2 props to thrash.

h2oski2fast
08-21-2003, 01:00 AM
Right up the middle baby!

HighRoller
08-21-2003, 02:11 AM
Believe it or not Mike37 has the best advice.The bottom in that area is sandy and the flow of the water makes minor daily changes to the depth.Of course checking the water outlet report makes sense but if you don't and you're not familiar with the gorge,follow another boat of similar or larger size.Don't follow a jet,they will keep going in a foot of water.Stay about 200 or 300 feet behind and watch their wake.Run at a speed that allows you to trim up yet stop quickly if necessary.With the bottom that soft you have to hit really hard to damage anything.Most likely you will just bury the outdrive in sand.The best tactic is to wait until multiple boats pass by and see where they go.Chances are at least one of them is a native and knows the gorge.If all this fails sell that cuisinart and get a jet.

Havasu Hangin'
08-21-2003, 03:23 AM
Everytime I've been through there when it's too shallow...there are people walking thier boats (or trying to get them out of the mud). So I always look to see if anyone's stopped. I've seen a boat dig in there before trying to make it while people are walking.
I'm like Mike (gotta be the shoes)...follow a bigger boat and your safe.

WaterBox
08-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Just got back from the Sand Bar 1hr. ago. I go up the Cal. side. I start about 60 yards off the high banks, then kinda just stay left of center between the shore and the toolies. The water depth has been pretty good all summer. Go for dark water. Im'e running a 23' Howard off shore Brovo 1 GOOD LUCK.. :)

summerlove
08-21-2003, 03:29 PM
WaterBox:
Just got back from the Sand Bar 1hr. ago. Rat bastard! wink

WaterBox
08-21-2003, 03:52 PM
summerlove:
WaterBox:
Just got back from the Sand Bar 1hr. ago. Rat bastard! wink :( SHIT DUDE. :(
Just checked the work calander and I gota work..
12 hr. shifts kinda screws up the hole w/e. Watch for ya another time.. :D