PDA

View Full Version : BIG News in the Motorcycle World!

MagicMtnDan
05-07-2003, 09:46 AM
At a press conference late Monday, the CEO of Johnson Marine, makers of Johnson outboard marine engines and other recreational equipment, unveiled a new line of heavyweight cruiser style motorcycles designed to compete head to head with industry leader Harley-Davidson.
Peter Long, Johnson brands marketing manager said, "We have studied the market and determined that Harley, while highly successful, has narrowly missed the mark when targeting motorcycle buyers". Long added, "We at Johnson are convinced that our product hits the target dead center and promises to draw sales away from Harley-Davidson in a way no other motorcycle has been able to accomplish".
The new line of bikes, marketed under the name Big Johnson Motorcycles, will, according to Long, deliver what Harley has only promised. "Our research show that this, a Big Johnson, is what Harley buyers are really after".
At the unveiling of the new line Monday, several current Harley owners agreed. "When I bought my Harley, what I really needed was a Big Johnson," said one Harley owner." But I see now that riding a Harley is no replacement for having a Big Johnson."
Manager Long also said that his company would follow the lead of Harley-Davidson and cash in on a huge market for non-motorcycle related products. "We realize that not every guy can have a Big Johnson," said Long, "But image is very important to people. If they don't have a Big Johnson, they at least want to project the image of having one."
Asked if he anticipated Big Johnsons showing up in the hands of Harley owners, Long said it was unlikely. "I just don't see the need to have a Harley if you have a Big Johnson," he said. "And I can't imagine someone who spends all their resources to acquire a Harley having a Big Johnson.
I think it boils down to this - You either have a Harley, or you have a Big Johnson, but you are not likely to have both." "Given the choice," said Long, "I think most guys will opt for the Big Johnson."
Another force driving sales for the company will come from women. A survey of the wives and girlfriends of nearly 1,000 potential motorcycle buyers indicates less than 5% would approve of their partner spending $15,000 on a Harley Davidson. But, when asked if they would be willing to pay the same amount of money to get their partner a Big Johnson, nearly 4 out 5 thought that would be money well spent.
One female present at the product unveiling was quoted as saying, "There is no way I will let Lonnie drop 15 grand on another one of those Harleys, but 15 grand to get him a Big Johnson? Well, that's something we could both enjoy, and it's something he really needs."
Carla Roundheel, manager of the dealership network now being established, said her motto is simple. "I service what we sell." Big Johnson Motorcycles will be traded on the New York stock exchange under the abbreviation PNSNV.
devil devil devil devil devil

mbrown2
05-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Had me going till about the second to the last paragraph..

76 Sleekcraft
05-07-2003, 09:56 AM
I ride a Harley, so I guess you know about the Johnson part........... eek!

spectratoad
05-07-2003, 09:56 AM
:D :D :D

hd&boatrider
05-07-2003, 09:59 AM
MagicMtnDan:
At a press conference late Monday, the CEO of Johnson Marine, makers of Johnson outboard marine engines and other recreational equipment, unveiled a new line of heavyweight cruiser style motorcycles designed to compete head to head with industry leader Harley-Davidson.
Peter Long, Johnson brands marketing manager said, "We have studied the market and determined that Harley, while highly successful, has narrowly missed the mark when targeting motorcycle buyers". Long added, "We at Johnson are convinced that our product hits the target dead center and promises to draw sales away from Harley-Davidson in a way no other motorcycle has been able to accomplish".
The new line of bikes, marketed under the name Big Johnson Motorcycles, will, according to Long, deliver what Harley has only promised. "Our research show that this, a Big Johnson, is what Harley buyers are really after".
At the unveiling of the new line Monday, several current Harley owners agreed. "When I bought my Harley, what I really needed was a Big Johnson," said one Harley owner." But I see now that riding a Harley is no replacement for having a Big Johnson."
Manager Long also said that his company would follow the lead of Harley-Davidson and cash in on a huge market for non-motorcycle related products. "We realize that not every guy can have a Big Johnson," said Long, "But image is very important to people. If they don't have a Big Johnson, they at least want to project the image of having one."
Asked if he anticipated Big Johnsons showing up in the hands of Harley owners, Long said it was unlikely. "I just don't see the need to have a Harley if you have a Big Johnson," he said. "And I can't imagine someone who spends all their resources to acquire a Harley having a Big Johnson.
I think it boils down to this - You either have a Harley, or you have a Big Johnson, but you are not likely to have both." "Given the choice," said Long, "I think most guys will opt for the Big Johnson."
Another force driving sales for the company will come from women. A survey of the wives and girlfriends of nearly 1,000 potential motorcycle buyers indicates less than 5% would approve of their partner spending $15,000 on a Harley Davidson. But, when asked if they would be willing to pay the same amount of money to get their partner a Big Johnson, nearly 4 out 5 thought that would be money well spent.
One female present at the product unveiling was quoted as saying, "There is no way I will let Lonnie drop 15 grand on another one of those Harleys, but 15 grand to get him a Big Johnson? Well, that's something we could both enjoy, and it's something he really needs."
Carla Roundheel, manager of the dealership network now being established, said her motto is simple. "I service what we sell." Big Johnson Motorcycles will be traded on the New York stock exchange under the abbreviation PNSNV.
devil devil devil devil devil I don't know where you got that from but whoever came up with it can't afford a Harley and they are bitter....15K for a Harley is only a bare minimum used Harley. Unless of course you want to be Sporty...lol If you can't play with the big dogs stay on the porch!

HDGRL
05-07-2003, 10:01 AM
I guess I'm just a lucky girl, I have both. :D :D

Blown 472
05-07-2003, 10:04 AM
HDGRL:
I guess I'm just a lucky girl, I have both. :D :D Well, lookie who is in tha sandbar. What up girl?

MagicMtnDan
05-07-2003, 10:53 AM
http://www.denizensofdoom.org/Mirrors/0161/dod/archive/big_johnson.jpg

HCS
05-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Not the Big Johnson! eek!

FASTERDAMITT
05-07-2003, 10:57 AM
I have six bikes in the garage. Love motorcycles, but I can't understand why you'd buy one that can't outbrake, accelerate or turn better than a 3000 pound car. :confused:

HDGRL
05-07-2003, 11:14 AM
Hi Blown, told you I would come out to play sometime. :)

Blown 472
05-07-2003, 11:17 AM
HDGRL:
Hi Blown, told you I would come out to play sometime. :) See, not so bad in here. wink

HDGRL
05-07-2003, 11:26 AM
Too soon to tell. wink

Her454
05-07-2003, 11:30 AM
L- it used to be the guys, but now ya gotta watch out for some of the women (and I use the term loosly) they have fangs. :D

HDGRL
05-07-2003, 11:36 AM
I've always played better with boys anyway.
By the way, would you rather have a Harley or a Big Johnson? eek!

Blown 472
05-07-2003, 11:39 AM
Her454:
L- it used to be the guys, but now ya gotta watch out for some of the women (and I use the term loosly) they have fangs. :D On comes the flashing red light and the voice wailing away "Skank alert" :D

Her454
05-07-2003, 11:39 AM
HDGRL:
I've always played better with boys anyway.
By the way, would you rather have a Harley or a Big Johnson? eek! Well, since you asked, who says a girl cant have both. eek!

HDGRL
05-07-2003, 11:46 AM
Well I can say both is definitely better! Plus, a girl with a Harley is usually followed by a Big Johnson anyway. boxed

Blown 472
05-07-2003, 11:48 AM
HDGRL:
Well I can say both is definitely better! Plus, a girl with a Harley is usually followed by a Big Johnson anyway. boxed ick foo, enough about tha sausage party.

HDGRL
05-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Sorry, I thought I was just sticking to the topic. You seem like the type of guy that is secure enough, not to be bothered by sausage talk. wink

Blown 472
05-07-2003, 12:14 PM
HDGRL:
Sorry, I thought I was just sticking to the topic. You seem like the type of guy that is secure enough, not to be bothered by sausage talk. wink Why yes, yes I am. It is Tom Brown you have to worry about.

hd&boatrider
05-07-2003, 12:16 PM
HDGRL:
I guess I'm just a lucky girl, I have both. :D :D What kind of HD do you have HHDGRL? One of mine is in my avatar and my other is a Hieritage (sp?) Softail.

HDGRL
05-07-2003, 12:25 PM
hd&boatrider:
HDGRL:
I guess I'm just a lucky girl, I have both. :D :D What kind of HD do you have HHDGRL? One of mine is in my avatar and my other is a Hieritage (sp?) Softail. Nice, I like the Heritage. I have a 2001 883 Custom. Good enough for right now. The guy that had it before me kept it real clean and added a lot to it. :)

HOSS
05-07-2003, 04:11 PM
I agree totally fasterdamit. Loud heavy and evry single one of them leaks oil. Even brand new. Must be that awsome V-twin design. :D

HDGRL
05-08-2003, 06:08 AM
I've heard that. But, I haven't had a problem with leaks yet and neither has my boyfriend who has a 2001 Softail. Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon. :)

FASTERDAMITT
05-08-2003, 09:04 AM
I didn't say I don't like them. I would'nt buy a bike a big cruiser due to thier performance. Some of the custom Harleys are cool to look at. You know what the craze is all about? PESONALIZATION. Just like facial pierceing, tattoo's ect...
Look at the designs on most custom boats. It's someone's own idea. Just like the custom Harley. I grew up in a biker town of Clyde Ohio. Had a lot of fun but after I left i got into performance machines instead. :cool:
[ May 08, 2003, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: FASTERDAMITT ]

HDGRL
05-08-2003, 09:52 AM
I don't know about out West, but here they do a lot of customizing on Harleys but they also work on getting more performance from them. It's not all about the look. Personally I don't care what people ride, I've never been one to think that everyone should ride a Harley. You ride what you enjoy.
By the way Faster, you said you have six bikes. What kind are they? Have any pics? :D :D

FASTERDAMITT
05-08-2003, 10:34 AM
Currently the only street bike is a CBR900RR. The others are dirt. Xr650,CR,TTr,Rm,Polaris quad. Here's only pic loaded in the computor. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/478DCP_0074.JPG
Lets see yours. Hell, lets see everybodys!!

FASTERDAMITT
05-08-2003, 10:36 AM
By the way, the CBR is for sale. I'm lookin to get an Apralia next. wink

HDGRL
05-08-2003, 11:40 AM
I wish I could post a pic, no scanner or digital camera. I'm still in the dark ages when it comes to computers. I spend too much money on the toys.
But, it is black and chrome and looks like most other Sportsters, except prettier. :D :D
Nice bike you have, do they hold their value well for sale purposes? When I move out there I'm going to be looking for a quad and small dirt bike, probably an 80, for my son, he'll be nine by then.

FASTERDAMITT
05-08-2003, 12:29 PM
Value wise, not really, newer and better technoligy always around the corner kinda like electronics, computors ect... I live next to the open desert so I must take advantage of the open space. Great exercise too. I ride twice a week for a couple hours of great workout. I used the gym but it's too boring.

CA Stu
05-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Buy used bikes. The Cycletrader and Ebay are full of great deals with low miles. I bought a 95 Ducati Monster 900, cherry , for $3400 last fall, and an '01 XR650R, fully tricked out and dual sported for $4100 before it even needed it's first oil change. Some folks buy a bike to make some kind of fashion statement and then turn around and sell them. I like it.
Thanks
Stu

Ziggy
05-08-2003, 01:08 PM
FASTERDAMITT:
By the way, the CBR is for sale. I'm lookin to get an Apralia next. wink Got a Aprilia and Ducatti dealer right next door to my store...owners name is Balz. Cool guy.