PDA

View Full Version : Boat name removal superstition ?

Bahner tunnel
09-24-2002, 08:57 AM
I'm in the process of getting my boats'
"name" repainted . After buffing the old faded paint off a guy told me "it is bad luck to change the name of a boat " . Although my built in B.S. meter was pegged out , it made me wonder if this an old mans story has any truth to it? I assured him that the original name was going to be replaced . Has any one heard of this boating "urban legend" before? :confused:

HM
09-24-2002, 09:13 AM
Yah, heard the name change story, but never any actual urban legend type of stories to go with it.
The stories date back from the days of Columbus and earlier.
Did the guy give you his psychic hot line # to find out what would happen? LOL
I say change it! It is your boat. If you don't believe in that crap, then you won't problem. People who believe in it tend to make it a self fulfilling prophecy.

Havasu Doug
09-24-2002, 09:23 AM
It's only bad luck if the boat was named "Christine".

PipesClean
09-24-2002, 09:37 AM
You own a boat. You already have bad luck :D

Screaming Pete
09-24-2002, 09:42 AM
The first boat I owned was named "Plans to ski"'
the first owner of the boats name was Planski some polish name I liked the graphics but not the name but the superstition thing kicked in so i didn't. My .02

BigWaveDave
09-24-2002, 09:54 AM
The superstition stems from the days of sailing ships and the men who crewed them. If something bad happened on a ship, men wouldn't want to sail on it. Say for instance a whaling vessel came up empty after a month at sea or was caught in a storm and and men drowned. The rumor on the docks among the hired help would be that the ship was "unlucky" or cursed. The skipper would be hard pressed to get a crew together. He might have to sell the ship. When he did, the new owner would change the name to conseal the past identity and history of the ship from unsuspecting crewmen. Sometimes, the ship would have trouble after the name change, and the old salts would say "Aye, she was the old "So-and-So" before and look, she's still unlucky".
Did you hear about the pirate who had a ships wheel tattooed on the head of his dick?
"Aye matey, It drives me nuts"
:p

Steamin' Rice
09-24-2002, 10:11 AM
Here you go...Follow this procedure and you should be good to go..
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

Bahner tunnel
09-24-2002, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the replies, I guess that old salty dog had some truth behind what he was telling me. I guess I'll have to stick with "TUNNEL VISION" after all . I kind of dig the name anyways. :D

Liberator TJ1984
09-24-2002, 10:47 AM
Well I guess I'm Screwed.....named my boat after my old lady."Sreaming Bitch" ....Now I've filed for Divorce after she shot me last week .... I was going to change the name to " Gutshot"...but I sure as hell don't need any more Bad Luck!!!! eek!

Boater Bill
09-24-2002, 12:10 PM
Liberator TJ1984:
Well I guess I'm Screwed.....named my boat after my old lady."Sreaming Bitch" ....Now I've filed for Divorce after she shot me last week .... I was going to change the name to " Gutshot"...but I sure as hell don't need any more Bad Luck!!!! eek! Well...I guess what they say is true...Don't mess with Texas. eek!

cyclone
09-24-2002, 12:22 PM
well now you've got me all worried about renaming my boat when i redo the gel coat this winter. "slippery when wet" just has too much of a hair band appeal for me.

Havasu Cig
09-24-2002, 03:25 PM
There was a thread on OSO about this. Several people said the proper way to change the name and avoid bad luck was to place the old name somewhere else in the boat (bilge area ect...). Your call, I have enough bad luck as it is!! :D

1stepcloser
09-24-2002, 04:19 PM
Bahner Tunnel:
I'm in the process of getting my boats'"name" repaintedRepainting the name is not unlucky...Changing the name is where the superstition starts. As a boat ages, the paint wears. Have it redone in the same name. Hell, the luck might improve.

Lightning
09-24-2002, 04:23 PM
Liberator TJ1984:
Well I guess I'm Screwed.....named my boat after my old lady."Sreaming Bitch" ....Now I've filed for Divorce after she shot me last week .... I was going to change the name to " Gutshot"...but I sure as hell don't need any more Bad Luck!!!! eek! That's fuct up, hopefully you weren't hurt too bad. I do not mean to be a smart ass, but I do have to ask, when she shot you, were you screaming like a bitch?

Liberator TJ1984
09-25-2002, 06:03 AM
No actually it didn't hurt bad ..32 cal.went in under my navel about 1" and exited out my rear end about 1/2" from my tail bone... didn't hit any vital organs thank God ..but did land me in the hospital for 4 days...the kicker is they had to open me up from my navel to wanker and do exploratory surgery to clean up wound and make sure no organs were punctured...caught her at another guys house where she shot me...hell he can have her... :D might just get her a new pistol for Christmas :D he has no idea what he's in for

kcm21
09-25-2002, 10:30 AM
holysh*t,
that is some jacked up crap! dude I hope you feel better but that's gotta suck! As long as she did not harm your boat!!!! :D
-kev-

Screaming Pete
09-25-2002, 10:51 AM
I think now is a good time to writethat Bitch off

stucknohio
09-25-2002, 10:53 AM
is she in jail??

Jrocket
09-25-2002, 06:11 PM
Liberator TJ1984:
No actually it didn't hurt bad ..32 cal.went in under my navel about 1" and exited out my rear end about 1/2" from my tail bone... didn't hit any vital organs thank God ..but did land me in the hospital for 4 days...the kicker is they had to open me up from my navel to wanker and do exploratory surgery to clean up wound and make sure no organs were punctured...caught her at another guys house where she shot me...hell he can have her... :D might just get her a new pistol for Christmas :D he has no idea what he's in forMOVE west,and fast........

Liberator TJ1984
09-27-2002, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the support guys...no did not put her in jail.(kids involved)..but I made her give up all claims to house,boat,vehicles,land,etc.to Lawyer...so it will be an uncontested Divorce....let me keep everything... except her stuff I got for her while we were married(18yrs.)..she has to walk away from everything...and I won't press charges in return..except law states she still gets 1/2 of my 401K at divorce final..that really sucks.. frown

beyondhelpin
09-29-2002, 08:35 PM
That is unbelivable. Give me a warning if she decides to come north of the Red River! But on the good side? The gunshot may have actually been less painful than the divorce court. Dont forget the sympathy action you might get out of it!!!!!!! The 401K, hell its probally only worth half of what it was a couple of years ago anyway!!!!