PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a PDA? Opinions wanted

THOR
05-15-2003, 06:24 AM
I am looking to purchase a PDA and was wanting opinions regarding what the best brands are.
Thanks in advance......

Essex502
05-15-2003, 06:33 AM
PDA when purchased can send you to jail if you get caught! smile_sp
As to best brands...the ho's on Sunset are as good as any. On the low end...check Rosecrans Blvd in Gardena. Plenty there too. :D

mbrown2
05-15-2003, 06:44 AM
HP IPAQ...they have a number of models, and differnent form factors. If you want an all-in-one device, try the RIM Blacberry, with built-in phone...all the features of a PDA but with Phone and you can operate it with one hand without a stylus.

Havasu Cig
05-15-2003, 07:32 AM
I have a Sony Clie that works good for me. My other 1/2 has the top of the line Clie that has a built in camera that can take video clips, pictures ect.
Both work great, I just did not need all the extra stuff. I picked mine up for about $200. at Circuit City on sale, her's cost about $700. Go check them out and play with them and you can kind of get an idea of which one you like the best.
The Sony uses the Palm operating system and some of the others use microsoft. I think the palm is a little easier to use, but I am not the most computer literate person either.

bear down
05-15-2003, 07:47 AM
Havasu Cig:
I have a Sony Clie that works good for me. My other 1/2 has the top of the line Clie that has a built in camera that can take video clips, pictures ect.
Both work great, I just did not need all the extra stuff. I picked mine up for about $200. at Circuit City on sale, her's cost about $700. Go check them out and play with them and you can kind of get an idea of which one you like the best.
The Sony uses the Palm operating system and some of the others use microsoft. I think the palm is a little easier to use, but I am not the most computer literate person either. I would have to agree with Cig. The Sony Clie is probably the best out there because is has the Palm OS. The IPAQ is a really nice PDA but a little heavy. I have had Palm, Handspring, Sony and IPAQ. I have been using PDA's as far back as 98' with my Palm III. Any type of windows based PDA is great but usually bulk or heavy but look really nice but offer PC type of features like word,excel,media player,powerpoint but you will pay about $350-$550 for it retail. If you go Palm OS get the sony Clie because of it's size and wieght and they just do a great job for you. Just remember get the PDA that suits your application the best. I am always on the road and on the phone so something light and quick works for me like the Sony Clie. But if you travel heavily on the airlines and business meetings the IPAQ might work better for you because you can access any type of Word or Excel documents you need since it's window based. The Word and Excel programs on PALM OS systems are not as good as the Pocket PC systems on the windows based IPAQ. Just make sure and pay for the options you'll use and not what it comes with. Hope this info. helps.

mbrown2
05-15-2003, 07:57 AM
I used to have a palm, but email integration is not as easy...the Win/CE os intergrates much more seamlessly to exchange. I actually like the Blackberry better than both Palm and WinCe devices because you can use one hand to navigate....also, I don't need color to read/respond to email.

bear down
05-15-2003, 08:02 AM
mbrown2:
I used to have a palm, but email integration is not as easy...the Win/CE os intergrates much more seamlessly to exchange. I actually like the Blackberry better than both Palm and WinCe devices because you can use one hand to navigate....also, I don't need color to read/respond to email. Palm has done a crappy job with it's e-mail intergration capabilities. What I use on my Palm OS systems it the Eudora e-mail program. This works great on all PALM OS systems and better than outlook. You guys should try it. www.eudora.com (http://www.eudora.com)

Hermosa
05-15-2003, 08:04 AM
Stay away from any Handspring product as they are moving away from the PDA market, so support will really suck. I have a few dollars stuck into my 3 Handsprings, this sucks for me. I like the new Sony stuff, very stable.

riverracerx
05-15-2003, 08:08 AM
I have the Sony and paid $150.00 for it. Wanted to make sure I used the gadget before dropping too much on the investment. I really like it. Holds more phone numbers than my brain. The color version is now $199.00 and looks pretty cool. I sync it to a Mac, even though they say you can't.

NOCTURNAL
05-15-2003, 08:11 AM
I recently moved away from my Handspring and the Palm OS in favor of a new Compaq IPAQ 3950. It will do nearly everything that I used to use my laptop for. Powerpoint presentations, storing digital photos, video playback, the list goes on and on. It is heavier and bigger than my old Handspring, but Pocket PC integrates so much easier with my desktop applications that it was a no-brainer for me. Good luck.

bear down
05-15-2003, 08:32 AM
Hermosa:
Stay away from any Handspring product as they are moving away from the PDA market, so support will really suck. I have a few dollars stuck into my 3 Handsprings, this sucks for me. I like the new Sony stuff, very stable. Hermosa is right, Plus Handspring has much less to offer for it's hand held as opposed to Sony and Palm like it's accesories list.

THOR
05-15-2003, 08:56 AM
This helps.
Thanks for the responses.