PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about moving west. Suggestions? Warnings? Thoughts?

flyinbrian
10-23-2002, 09:14 AM
I am currently located in Central Ohio. We average more rainfall than Seattle, Washington and have three to four decent months of boating. I am looking outside my office window and see sun, but know that it's 49 degrees out while it's 1:00 in the afternoon on October 23rd.
All of my hobbies need sun and 70+ degree temps to enjoy properly. #1 of course, being boating.
My job situation looks like I may be one of the many getting cut in an upcoming layoff. I am looking at this as an oppurtunity to go somewhere I can enjoy my hobbies more often throughout the year.
I was thinking Florida, but they are constantly battling with bugs the size of small children. Alligators at the sandbar doesn't sound very cool either. Also the humidity can be unbearable.
This leads me to Nevada-Arizona-California area. We all have snakes. You guys don't have the bugs that we deal with. Lots of sun and heat. Hmmmm.
What am I missing here?

Back To Havasu
10-23-2002, 09:25 AM
The only thing you are missing is money. If you can bring it with you, or make it anywhere, you are on the right track. I live in So Cal, but have owned homes in Lake Havasu City Az. (24 years)and Las Vegas, (5 years). The skinny, in my humble opinion is that Havasu has the most incredible boating scene and water, but hard to make a living there, and it is isolated from major cities. 115 degrees in the summer is common. Vegas has Lake Mead, and there is always something fun to do 24/7, and money to be made. However, Lake Mead is prone to be very rough when the wind is up (as it usually is), and there is less socializing on the lake than Havasu. Finally, California, where I live, has perfect weather, lots of money, and a fun place to live. However, housing is expensive, and you drive 250-300 miles to do your boating if you want more than a puddle to float in. Good Luck

spectratoad
10-23-2002, 09:30 AM
I live in Nevada. Reno to be exact and would recommend Vegas. I will move there after the kids are grown up ot they don't like thier mother anymore and want to live with me. I like you enjoy most things in warm weather and Reno only has about 4-5 months of that. Like Back to Havasu says, Cali is expensive, Havasu job market is slim. Vegas is close enough to Havasu for weekend jaunts. the housing market is reasonable also. Good luck.

TripleThreat
10-23-2002, 09:33 AM
In my humble opinion. Northern Cal...namely Redding is perfectly situated for the outdoorsmen. 3 Lakes... Whiskeytown (10 min), Shasta (20 min), Trinity (1 hr). The weather gets a little warm in the summer, but that is just more of an excuse to go to the lake. A living here can be made, and Redding is growing well. Plus the fishing the Sacramento is bar none!

VitaminSea
10-23-2002, 09:40 AM
Do it! I was born in SoCal, have lived around the world including in Las Vegas for ten years but love Orange County where I now live. Las Vegas is great but I finally got tired of the heat for 4 to 5 months straight. Love Havasu and keep my boat in dry storage there. It takes me 3 1/2 hours to drive to Havasu not towing. Welcome to the Wild, Wild, West. Cliff

kcm21
10-23-2002, 09:44 AM
I am totally biased but Socal kicks ass! Vegas is a fun place to party but way to much self control for me to live there. Reno is pretty cool also way laid back, Nor Cal is cool but it doesn't compare to the sights and scenes of socal, the best around plus Havasu is only 4-5 hours! Best sights anywhere on any lake!
-Kev-

Jordy
10-23-2002, 10:03 AM
I'll chime in here as well. Vegas is a good time, but Mead can be ocean like. The weather is very similar to Phoenix. I lived up there for a year. But, it would take a whole lot of incentive (read $$$$) to get me to move out of Phoenix. Lots of nice local lakes within 45 minutes of my house. Great weather pretty much 10 1/2 months out of the year. Mid July and August are the only really bad ones, but it's hot so you go to the lake. The job market is still pretty decent here. The housing market is very reasonable. I bought an older house, on half an acre of horse property, 1800 sq ft. in the middle of N. Phoenix, close to a freeway, about 15 minutes from Downtown for under $150K. Try that in California. It's 3 hours to the River or the Dunes or even the ocean in Old Mexico. I guess I'm just kind of partial.
Jordy :D
[ October 23, 2002, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: jordanpaulk ]

burning cole
10-23-2002, 10:15 AM
I have lived in SoCal for 26 years, with a short stint in New York (4 years). If you have the job that allows you to live here then you will get nothing better. I to have thought about moving. Arizona would be my choice. A fast growing city, close to the water, nice weather, very affordable housing. If you like traffic, socal is where its at. I can do my job from any state, but Arizona is close enough to Cal, to be able to come and see freinds and family. THE HOUSING MARKET HERE IS UNAFFORDABLE!

XTRM22
10-23-2002, 10:26 AM
It's already too crowded out here, stay where you are at! j/k I've lived in Az almost all my life and wouldn't live anywhere else. Phoenix is a huge city with all the ciny amenities, Tucson isn't near as bad, but the wages here are a little lower, and the nearest boatable lake is 90 miles. Good Luck
Chuck

flyinbrian
10-23-2002, 10:31 AM
Keep them coming people.
I like what I am hearing.
It's nice to sit and read some opinions from people who live in these areas speak about their likes and dislikes.
My job field allows me to work anywhere-
Although, I would try anything new if an oppurtunity came about.
I have a close relative in SoCal-
I am not a big fan of traffic-
I suffer from road rage
Phoenix and Las Vegas are on my short list.
SoCal would be om the list too, but the cost of living looks to be too high for me to maintain my current lifestyle.

HavasuDreamin'
10-23-2002, 10:35 AM
It depends on what you do for a living and where you can get decent work. I would say one of two places. Vegas or Phoenix area, where ever you can get good work. I am not sure about the Vegas job scene as it is a tourist city. Phoenix would seem to me to be more stable. Good Luck.
PS......SoCal isn't all what it is cracked up to be. I grew up there and wouldn't move back. That is coming from a guy who lives in the cold climate now and misses the river dearly. Reasons I wouldn't move back....too much traffic, that leads to way too much stress.... and way too expensive.
[ October 23, 2002, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

Hermosa
10-23-2002, 10:40 AM
I really like the Arizona idea... I lived in So cal for 12 years, currently in No Cal now. Like they said, the housing is out of control in Cali. I should have a palace for what I paid for 2000 Sq ft, it really sucks. I keep thinking about AZ, I really think you can live better for your money there. Don't get me wrong, love California, but you gotta be real, it's getting more and more expensive here. I think we should all move in with Jordy on his ranch. ; )

Jordy
10-23-2002, 10:51 AM
Hermosa:
I think we should all move in with Jordy on his ranch. ; )I don't know if I would call it a ranch, but I do have lots of room. The best thing about horse property is you can do whatever the hell you want on it. All my neighbors have dragsters, both asphalt and sand, big boats, quads, golf carts. We run up and down the street and nobody says a thing.
Oh and I'm only 2 miles from Paradise Valley mall. Right in the heart of everything.

beached1
10-23-2002, 10:52 AM
Scottsdale, AZ. If I could find the same job there that I do here in Socal, I'd be gone in a heartbeat. Same distance to the river, better gun laws, better gov and you can wear shorts just about every day.

flyinbrian
10-23-2002, 10:54 AM
Hey Jordy-
Did I mention that I have a drag car and two boats?
Do you have any rooms available? wink

burning cole
10-23-2002, 11:04 AM
beached1:
Scottsdale, AZ. If I could find the same job there that I do here in Socal, I'd be gone in a heartbeat. Same distance to the river, better gun laws, better gov and you can wear shorts just about every day.I do not think that they have sales tax either. I also thought that it does get cold there in the winter time. And I am with you man, if I could get my lady the same job, just move offices we would be out of here at the end of the month. Just for example, Newhomes.com 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, 4 car garage, on 1/2 acre $210,000.

Jordy
10-23-2002, 11:14 AM
burning cole:
I do not think that they have sales tax either. I also thought that it does get cold there in the winter time.We have sales tax here. It varys from city to city as they all have different referendums that they are paying for, not to mention the Stadium taxes they keep trying to slip in to build the lame ass Cardnials a new facility so they dont have to play in a college stadium that they can't fill more than 40% capacity on any given Sunday.
As far as getting cold, it usually hangs around the low 60's for the high on the coldest days... some nights get down below freezing, but those are few and far between.

burning cole
10-23-2002, 11:18 AM
jordanpaulk:
burning cole:
I do not think that they have sales tax either. I also thought that it does get cold there in the winter time.We have sales tax here. It varys from city to city as they all have different referendums that they are paying for, not to mention the Stadium taxes they keep trying to slip in to build the lame ass Cardnials a new facility so they dont have to play in a college stadium that they can't fill more than 40% capacity on any given Sunday.
As far as getting cold, it usually hangs around the low 60's for the high on the coldest days... some nights get down below freezing, but those are few and far between.How is the job market, do you have a lot of big companies there? Both me and my finace work for Global companies, but I can not seem to find an office in Bullhead! J/K we were looking at Tuscon, Pheniox s/p, and the outlying cities. I would not mind driving a 1/2 hour to work. Do you have any suggestions.

Jordy
10-23-2002, 11:23 AM
burning cole:
How is the job market, do you have a lot of big companies there? Both me and my finace work for Global companies, but I can not seem to find an office in Bullhead! J/K we were looking at Tuscon, Pheniox s/p, and the outlying cities. I would not mind driving a 1/2 hour to work. Do you have any suggestions.The job market is very diversified. Lots of construction related jobs, manufacturing, Intel and Motorola have plants here. Lots of tech jobs. As far as driving 1/2 an hour, plan on it. The freeways are getting better here, but are still 8 years behind what they should be. Look at something like Monster.com and check out the Phoenix area. 20 pages came up yesterday when I was on it.

spectratoad
10-23-2002, 11:31 AM
I also forgot that Nevada has a sales tax but no state income tax. I love SoCal also.I was stationed in Long Beach for awhile and it wa awesome. It is just way too expensive to live there and as most said the housing market can't be touched. From what I have seen the housing in Vegas is good and Phoenix is awesome. That same house that Jordan has would be around the low $200K mark here in Reno.

ROZ
10-23-2002, 12:08 PM
spectratoad:
That same house that Jordan has would be around the low $200K mark here in Reno.Same new house in my town would be around 600k. frown
[ October 23, 2002, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

HotHallet
10-23-2002, 12:12 PM
Lived in Southern Cali all my life. Love it here. Nice cool breezes from Ocean, awesome weather, lots to do.

snappertapper
10-23-2002, 12:28 PM
Flyinbrian i live in florida and it takes about a month to get used to the bugs infact its paradise here if you ask me!

572Daytona
10-23-2002, 12:30 PM
You may want to consider parts other than Florida in the South East as well. I live in Georgia about an hour north of Atlanta and on a big lake. For what you would pay for an average house in Cali you could probably by a house on the lake here. The jet boat stays at the dock from April thru October and the outboard stays there year round. There are people here that fish year round. I've lived in the midwest (chicago area), Northeast (SE Mass) and have a sister that lives in California. Both Mass and California are way overboard with laws restricting what you can do in life, I much prefer it here.

Jordy
10-23-2002, 12:43 PM
ROZ:
Same new house in my town would be around 600k. :(Looks like I am moving my house then. :D

gnarley
10-23-2002, 01:20 PM
kcm21:
Nor Cal is cool but it doesn't compare to the sights and scenes of socal
-Kev-Not to start a flame war here but I don't think I'd want to be compared to socal! What sights & scenes? You can keep them & the endless traffic not to mention the urban sprawl is second to none. The sights in socal seem restricted to endless highways & cities like the song says, paved paradise & put up a parking lot :(
We have a lot of space & room in norcal & water that gets sent to socal since socal has little of its own. It doesn't stay as warm in the north as socal but we can boat 6 to 7 months of the year and the scenery in the north part of the state is second to none. We have a city that is usually one of the most visited destination cities in the world & the great Delta for boating & our share of lakes and don't forget the mountains with Yosemite. Yeah socal has better weather & you can swim in the ocean but besides that what does it really have to offer; more people & expensive homes?
Depending on where you live in norcal you can find a variety of homes & prices. California has its drawbacks, like the politics & taxes but that is the price you pay for living here & even makes me think about leaving, but since we can afford property here we will let it appreciate & sell when its time to retire & take our money and run to another place that is less costly to live & I hope we will have seen what we wanted while we lived here :)

Slick
10-23-2002, 01:46 PM
DON'T MOVE TO ARIZONA. I married an Ohio'an and that's one too many. I understand what you mean about the weather. I was just in Defiance for a week. Right off the Maumee (sp) River. Lots of muddy water. I bet it's a nice place to boat during the summer but it's too friggin' cold the rest of the time.
Phoenix is a great place to live. As Jordan said, five local lakes within an hour. I'm 165 miles 2.75hrs door/door from where we stay in Parker. Three hours from decent snow skiing. 4.5 hours from Sea of cortez in Mexico. Six hours from the Atlantic Ocean.
Unfortunately, I live about five minutes from Jordan and that's way too close. eek!
[ October 23, 2002, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Slick ]

diggler
10-23-2002, 02:10 PM
Don't move to the Bay Area! I was forced to move out here from a place of low, low, cost of living to out here where it's insane!
The weather is great though, and the Delta is awesome.

Jordy
10-23-2002, 02:15 PM
Slick:
I'm 165 miles 2.75hrs door/door from where we stay in Parker. Three hours from decent snow skiing. 4.5 hours from Sea of cortez in Mexico. Six hours from the Atlantic Ocean.
Unfortunately, I live about five minutes from Jordan and that's way too close. eek! Funny focker there Slick. As far as the drive times? Grandpa, you know that truck has an overdrive right? 3 hours to Parker? 4.5 hours to the Sea of Cortez? Are you talking about El Golfo for that drive time? The beach in Rocky Point is 225 miles away. 4.5 hours? Remind me to meet you in Parker, not ride with you. Or at least let me drive. :D

Spirit of Discovery
10-23-2002, 02:48 PM
I'm with TripleThreat. I lived in Redding for 4 1/2 years. Was on Lake Shasta about 300 days/year, rain or shine (it was mostly shine, though). I am now in South Orange County and I'd move back to Redding in a heartbeat if the right opportunity came up. I own a business here though, so it would have to be really right!!. The weather there is wonderful. Hot (but dry) as heck in the summer and winters are mild (to Ohio standards). An Ohioan will wear a t-shirt all winter there!! They get a little snow in the winter, but it is usually gone within 24 hours. I'm glad to see the job market opening up there. That was the sole reason I left. I couldn't make a living there. If you want the best of all worlds, Redding is the place!!

FreddieB81
10-23-2002, 02:59 PM
jordanpaulk:
Slick:
I'm 165 miles 2.75hrs door/door from where we stay in Parker. Three hours from decent snow skiing. 4.5 hours from Sea of cortez in Mexico. Six hours from the Atlantic Ocean.
Unfortunately, I live about five minutes from Jordan and that's way too close. eek! Funny focker there Slick. As far as the drive times? Grandpa, you know that truck has an overdrive right? 3 hours to Parker? 4.5 hours to the Sea of Cortez? Are you talking about El Golfo for that drive time? The beach in Rocky Point is 225 miles away. 4.5 hours? Remind me to meet you in Parker, not ride with you. Or at least let me drive. :D LOL, dude I was thinking the exact same thing.

69 Elim
10-23-2002, 03:41 PM
Well, since Nor Cal & So Cal have been covered, guess I'll hit the Central. Cheap homes, you can make a living here, but the wages are scaled to the cost of living. Only 3 hours to LA or SF. 1 hour to the mountains, 2 hours to the coast. Lots of lakes to choose from, several only minutes away. Hot/Dry Summer, Foggy winter. Lots of Ag business although I've never been in it.

twistedpair
10-23-2002, 04:06 PM
You could definitely do worse than the Vegas area. We moved here from Washington State last year. Same scenario, downsized, wanted to go somewhere warm, etc..
Henderson is nice and close to the lake and is basically part of Vegas anymore. Housing is not too bad, and depending on what you do for a living, neither is the money.
Oh yeah, and a 8 month boating season does'nt suck either!! :D :D

NashvilleBound
10-23-2002, 05:06 PM
We live in S CA about half the year then TN the other. Nashville is beautiful with some of the nicest people you could ever meet. Plenty of job opportunities too. When were in Ca I work 6/12 just to keep up with the flow. Our friends in TN think were high energy loons. Our place in CA is $900k compared to TN, the same house around $400k.
What do you do for a living? We have many connections here....for someone that doesnt mind really working. Lots of wanna-bees here!
Would help a fellow boater as long as your serious! NB

lghtnin33
10-23-2002, 05:26 PM
so what's wrong with giving TEXAS a shot, we have everything except snow skiing, great weather most of the time. beaches, deserts, forests what else do you need?

Havasu Cig
10-23-2002, 05:45 PM
So.Cal is awesome but like others have said very expensive. We live about 10 minutes from the beach, 4-5 hours from Havasu, 1 1/2 hours to the mountains, 2 hours from the desert...not to many places that you have so much to chose from plus the weather is great. When I was in the military I lived in Alabama, Kentucky, and Texas. None of these place comes close to So.Cal. as far as weather and things to do, but the cost of living was alot cheaper in those places. It really made me appreciate So.Cal!!
We also have a house in Havasu and we are considering moving there but I don't know if we could do it year round. We are actually going out there this weekend to look around at business options. My other 1/2 is an accountant though so I think it might be hard for her to find a job making any decent $$$. The cost of living there is low so that is a plus, and you have the lake/river right there at your doorstep.

BlownCole
10-23-2002, 06:16 PM
lghtnin33:
so what's wrong with giving TEXAS a shot, we have everything except snow skiing, great weather most of the time. beaches, deserts, forests what else do you need?And just what do you think New Mexico is for?

BigDogIvan
10-23-2002, 08:18 PM
flyinbrian:
Hey Jordy-
Did I mention that I have a drag car and two boats?
Do you have any rooms available? wink Everone looks to be in the boat mode and did not mention that we have to drag strips. We have Firebird to the south of phoenix about 30 miles and Speedworld to the North West about 50 miles from down town Phoenix. Both are nice tracks. Firbird also holds the boat drags on there lake and also has a road racing coarse and Bob Bounderant schoool of driving.
BD

Jordy
10-23-2002, 10:50 PM
BigDogIvan:
We have Firebird to the south of phoenix about 30 miles and Speedworld to the North West about 50 miles from down town Phoenix. Both are nice tracks.
BDSpeedworld just needs to redo it's track a few more times to completely get rid of the bump in the right hand lane. Just look for the tire marks on the wall that all seem to start in the same place. It has gotten better and they seem to be a little more liberal with the VHT these days. :D

flyinbrian
10-24-2002, 04:25 AM
Wow!
Thanks to all of you for your advice and suggestions. I sat down last night with my better half to give this a read.
Some more background on us-
I am 27 years old.
I have worked for SBC/Ameritech for almost eight years now.
I started out in line crew, climbing poles, placing telephone cable, etc. I moved around in the company to splicing, where I spliced new cable, conditioned and tested pairs for T-1 service, repaired troubled lines, etc. After three years of doing that I moved into the engineering department, where I still work today. I still carry a class "A" CDL from driving the line trucks.
My wife is 26 years old.
Employed with Philip Morris USA for three or four years now. She is a Territory Sales Manager. She graduated Magna Cum Laude from The Ohio State University with a BS-BA majoring in international business and marketing.
We have no kids.
Just two dogs and a bunch of toys.
I spend all of my free time in the winter working as an apprentice to a chassis builder. Learning this craft is something I always wanted to do. We build circle track cars, drag cars, and hot rods. Lots of fun.
SBC is laying off 9000 by the end of this quarter, I won't know if I am part of this layoff until mid December. The company plans on letting another 2000 go during the first quarter of 2003, so if I make it through the first wave, I will more than likely be in the next one.
No big deal. They have treated me great and paid me well for almost eight years, I can't complain. It's the nature of the business these days.
(SPAM ALERT: Please order DSL and more services through SBC, I am still a shareholder wink )
Phoenix, Redding, and Las Vegas are all sounding good. I have not ruled out Florida and Georgia if the right oppurtunity comes about. In fact, I would go anywhere, except NORTH at this point.
Thanks again everybody, this has been a great help in making a decision.

burning cole
10-24-2002, 06:00 AM
flyinbrian:
Wow!
Thanks to all of you for your advice and suggestions. I sat down last night with my better half to give this a read.
Some more background on us-
I am 27 years old.
I have worked for SBC/Ameritech for almost eight years now.
I started out in line crew, climbing poles, placing telephone cable, etc. I moved around in the company to splicing, where I spliced new cable, conditioned and tested pairs for T-1 service, repaired troubled lines, etc. After three years of doing that I moved into the engineering department, where I still work today. I still carry a class "A" CDL from driving the line trucks.
My wife is 26 years old.
Employed with Philip Morris USA for three or four years now. She is a Territory Sales Manager. She graduated Magna Cum Laude from The Ohio State University with a BS-BA majoring in international business and marketing.
We have no kids.
Just two dogs and a bunch of toys.
I spend all of my free time in the winter working as an apprentice to a chassis builder. Learning this craft is something I always wanted to do. We build circle track cars, drag cars, and hot rods. Lots of fun.
SBC is laying off 9000 by the end of this quarter, I won't know if I am part of this layoff until mid December. The company plans on letting another 2000 go during the first quarter of 2003, so if I make it through the first wave, I will more than likely be in the next one.
No big deal. They have treated me great and paid me well for almost eight years, I can't complain. It's the nature of the business these days.
(SPAM ALERT: Please order DSL and more services through SBC, I am still a shareholder wink )
Phoenix, Redding, and Las Vegas are all sounding good. I have not ruled out Florida and Georgia if the right oppurtunity comes about. In fact, I would go anywhere, except NORTH at this point.
Thanks again everybody, this has been a great help in making a decision.Do not forget to roll over your 401 K!

THOR
10-24-2002, 06:15 AM
I know that I live in HB (SoCal) for the same reason as many of my friends. The WEATHER!!! It is awesome. But, I lived in Vegas for almost 10 years, but was born and raised in HB and am glad to be back. Dont get me wrong, LV is cheap and the funnest place I have ever lived hands down. If you are into drag cars, dune buggies, quads, motocross, boating, LV and Socal have the resources.
But, be prepared to pay top dollar 500K or more for a house that might need some work down here in SoCal. I know, it sounds like bull$hit, but it is true. Ask HBJet, Charley, RTJAS, Hustler to join in on this.

spectratoad
10-24-2002, 06:38 AM
By looking at you job description it sounds like you should have no problem. By your experience in building off-road chassis you may get a gig with some of the race teams. There are alot in the southwest I belive. Ever thought of biting the bullet and opening your own shop? With the growth in the Vegas area I am sure a telecom job is pretty easy to get.

Jordy
10-24-2002, 08:24 AM
spectratoad:
By your experience in building off-road chassis you may get a gig with some of the race teams.Did I mention Phoenix has half a dozen major league ($40,000 on up) sandcar manufacturers, not to mention a few circle car builders and a couple of dirt tracks? What we lack in boat builders, we more than make up for in desert toys.
Jordy :D

Slick
10-24-2002, 09:24 AM
Jordan, why don't you just cut through the bullshit and ask him on a date?

Jordy
10-24-2002, 09:52 AM
Slick:
Jordan, why don't you just cut through the bullshit and ask him on a date?Jumpin' Jesus on a pogostick. Where did that come from? Did your wheaties get pissed in this morning or what? :D I am just trying to be helpful, doesn't happen very often, so don't mess with me. :D

AZKC
10-24-2002, 09:55 AM
LMAO :D :D

carreraelite
10-24-2002, 10:24 AM
Arizona is hot and crowded with nothing to do. We all just sit around and do nothing . Better go to California where it's cool and not so crowded. They also have lots of things to do there !! J/ K :D :rolleyes:

RASTA
10-24-2002, 10:29 AM
CHEAK IT OUT YOU COULD SURF AT THE BEACHES IN THE MORNING, WATER SKI IN THE AFTERNOON AND HIT THE SLOPES FOR A LITTLE NIGHT SKIING, SO. CAL. BEST WEATHER ALL YEAR ROUND, FINE ASS LADIES O AND HOT RODS AND ATVS AHH YEA BOYS AND THERE TOYS. MAN WORLD FINALS, LAGUNA SECA, LB GRAND PRIX THE DUNES IN GLAMAS AND DID I MENTION THE LADIES AHH THE LADIES. HOPP UP NORTH TO MANMOUTH OR SKIP TO MEXICO PARTY AT PAPAS AND BEER OR LEAP TO HAIWAI 5HRS JUST LIKE HAVASU AND DID I MENTION ALL THE HALF NAKED GIRLS. CLUBS, SPORTS BARS, THE BEACHES O YEA AND ALL THE GIRLS. REMEMBER! MEN ARE ANIMALS WE ADAPT TO THE LIFE STYLES, BUT THE BOYS ARE RIGHT, YA GOTTA $PAY$ TO PLAY. NO GUTS NO GLORY! COME ON DUDE BREAK THE BANK, WE WILL BUY THE BEER. LOL THATS TWISTING HIS ARM.

Tahiti Owner
10-24-2002, 03:38 PM
FlyingBrian says: Phoenix, Redding, and Las Vegas are all sounding good. I have not ruled out Florida and Georgia if the right oppurtunity comes about. In fact, I would go anywhere, except NORTH at this point.
Whats wrong with "NORTH"? We have no sales tax here, we have no income tax here, lots of lakes with warm summertime weather! Yeah so it snows in the winter and the lakes freeze...thats why Polaris makes snowmobiles so we can go fast in the cold weather too!!! :p

gnarley
10-24-2002, 03:51 PM
RASTA:
CHEAK IT OUT YOU COULD SURF AT THE BEACHES IN THE MORNING, WATER SKI IN THE AFTERNOON AND HIT THE SLOPES FOR A LITTLE NIGHT SKIING, SO. CAL. BEST WEATHER ALL YEAR ROUND, FINE ASS LADIES O AND HOT RODS AND ATVS AHH YEA BOYS AND THERE TOYS. MAN WORLD FINALS, LAGUNA SECA, LB GRAND PRIX THE DUNES IN GLAMAS AND DID I MENTION THE LADIES AHH THE LADIES. HOPP UP NORTH TO MANMOUTH OR SKIP TO MEXICO PARTY AT PAPAS AND BEER OR LEAP TO HAIWAI 5HRS JUST LIKE HAVASU AND DID I MENTION ALL THE HALF NAKED GIRLS. CLUBS, SPORTS BARS, THE BEACHES O YEA AND ALL THE GIRLS. REMEMBER! MEN ARE ANIMALS WE ADAPT TO THE LIFE STYLES, BUT THE BOYS ARE RIGHT, YA GOTTA $PAY$ TO PLAY. NO GUTS NO GLORY! COME ON DUDE BREAK THE BANK, WE WILL BUY THE BEER. LOL THATS TWISTING HIS ARM.HEY take your cap lock off :)

flyinbrian
10-24-2002, 06:32 PM
Tahiti Owner-
Let me correct myself; North, northeast, northwest, east, or west are not options. I must be somewhere that seasons do not exist. Somewhere it does NOT snow.
My wife and I both don't care about leaves changing, or the cool autumn breeze. We like palm trees, sand, and sun. 365 days of boating.
Snowmobiles are a blast, but they require snow and cold weather, both not for me.
New Hampshire is beautiful country, I have been there and to Vermont, where the best snow skiing I have experienced east of the Mississippi can be found. You can keep it though, I will travel there for a week of snow skiing after moving south or southwest.
$oCal is falling behind.
[ October 24, 2002, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: flyinbrian ]

Stupid Fast
10-24-2002, 06:50 PM
Brian what part of town do you live? Its not cold yet but its funny that we are both in the same position. From my research Phoenix Arizona tops my list. I just need the balls to pick up and move.

flyinbrian
10-25-2002, 03:39 AM
SF!
I live in Hilliard and work in downtown Columbus. What about you?

Stupid Fast
10-25-2002, 01:19 PM
I live Between Reynoldsburg and Gahanna in Blacklick. Right now I am remodeling the 9th and 10th floors in the Capital Square building.
[ October 25, 2002, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Stupid Fast ]

lawbreaker2
10-26-2002, 12:21 PM
Hey Flyinbrian, Were at in slowhio are you,were from seville 71 and 224. We are like you need warmer weather to do the thing we like to do have a few hotrod myself. My wife is 27 and me 33 she is from tucson az. were moving out to az in a year or so,were there for two week vac. and had a ball. Havasu is like were all the middle age go to live that dont want to grow up. I seen older men on rice burner (NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT)its just funny. when my wife talk me into going out there I thought she was crazy, BUT I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT OUT THERE. :D

rustyk
10-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Man,I feel left out here in Tx. Its ok if you like mosquitos and lots of rain.It doen't get too cold here but when it does it feels like 30 below becuase of the damn humidity.In the summer here you sweat your butt off and the winters are piercing through your body.Especially on a boat or m/c. My wife and i went to Cali three years ago for a get away and drove it from Freeport Tx.3500 mile round trip i think. I was glad to get hom,e after that drive. But i can tell you this i have seen the most beautiful scenery between Texas and California that you could ever see anywhere.We did also speak of final years of living in the west also and i think Az somewhere for sure some friends of mine moved back to Az where they were from.If anyone knows them his name is Jay and his family owns Amazing Glazing in Yuma AZ. I am in the autobody car repair business and might be able later in life to open a shop in AZ and be able to meet some of you guys in Havasu or Mead or Parker.Then maybe we all can sit back and count the tumble weeds and spiders crossing the roads. LOL
RK

lawbreaker2
10-27-2002, 06:13 AM
Me bad should have read all the posts :rolleyes:

flyinbrian
10-27-2002, 05:35 PM
Hey Lawbreaker-
Did you two already start looking for jobs and housing? Isn't Seville, OH around Wadsworth? That's even colder than Cowlumbus.
My wife told me tonight that she doesn't care if we go to Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, or Florida. She says we must be somewhere we can boat almost all year round.
I am looking into the job market, cost of living, and other things at all locations. I am going to weigh it all out once I collect enough info.
SF-
I work for SBC, just a few blocks from there.

lawbreaker2
10-30-2002, 08:44 AM
Yes we have, but were stuck here for awhile yet. Some things came up we sold our home when this happend so we bought another one closer to our shop for awhile till we sell it. We are now in brunswick and it snow all day yesterday.

HCS
10-30-2002, 09:23 AM
TripleThreat:
In my humble opinion. Northern Cal...namely Redding is perfectly situated for the outdoorsmen. 3 Lakes... Whiskeytown (10 min), Shasta (20 min), Trinity (1 hr). The weather gets a little warm in the summer, but that is just more of an excuse to go to the lake. A living here can be made, and Redding is growing well. Plus the fishing the Sacramento is bar none!Now now you keep that Trinity lake a secret, That's the best bad ass houseboat'n lake in No.Cal! :D

Her454
10-30-2002, 02:40 PM
I grew up in Arizona, both Yuma and Lake Havasu. Weather is great if you can stand the two bad months in the summer and housing is affordable IF you can find a good wage. I loved living there and miss the desert, the dunes and the river.
Im in Northern Calif, Sac/Stockton area now and we have great weather most of the year if you can stand the fog during Dec-Jan (I would take 120 degrees any day rather than fog)and wages are good. Housing is more affordable than in the bay area and southern Calif. Lots of great lakes close with the dunes about 4 hours away too.

LVjetboy
10-30-2002, 05:48 PM
http://users.lvcm.com/lvjetboy/Vegas.gif
Any Questions?
:)
[ October 30, 2002, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

LVjetboy
10-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Oh ya, and I spent six years in Dayton, so I feel your pain...

Fiat48
10-30-2002, 08:20 PM
It has to be said. Reno is so close to Hell, you can see Sparks!

waxer
10-30-2002, 09:22 PM
Flybrian, I was laid off from GTE now Verizon many yrs ago. My wife still works there as a 5ESS switch tech. Verizon is currently going through workforce reductions & retirement incentives. I spoke with a PACBELL T1 - HICAP tech last week & PACBELL/SBC is under the same circumstances. This is in the socal narket, hopefully Arizona is better off