PDA

View Full Version : Who runs this place?

dmontzsta
07-03-2003, 06:24 PM
I think we really need a "Classifieds Forum" I really dont think people use the Classifieds on the main page, cause there is nothing there. I notice all the for sale/wanted stuff throughout the forums. Most of the websites I go to have "Classified Forums, For Sale/Wanted" I think it would really work well here and direct stuff out of certain forums and into their proper place.
What do you guys think?

Mandelon
07-03-2003, 07:07 PM
They sell ad space in the classifieds. They are not free. Maybe no body uses them, but theoretically they help support the forum.

dmontzsta
07-03-2003, 07:17 PM
wow, that is weird. You would think the registration supports the forum...
I know on other sites I visit, www.maxima.org (http://www.maxima.org) www.stangnet.com (http://www.stangnet.com) etc...you just post as you will. They are owned by actual members of the board, and they pay out of their pocket. I mean all this forum is, is a server, $39 per year domain name, T1, DSL, or cable monthly fee...which all that is taken care of since they need a site to promote the magazine. :confused:

Tom Brown
07-03-2003, 07:33 PM
For small sites, it's easy to host them on small home equipment but as the site grows, real power is required to power the SQL databases that underpin the forum software which, as it turns out, also takes quite a bit of power. Add to that enough bandwidth to drive a few hundred simultaneous connections at a decent speed and you have gone miles past a home network for a site such as ***boat.
As an example, I cite Maxima.org which has turned off the search feature for non registered users as they were maxed out on their SQL server capacity.
-- Tom :)

dmontzsta
07-03-2003, 07:37 PM
Tom Brown:
For small sites, it's easy to host them on small home equipment but as the site grows, real power is required to power the SQL databases that underpin the forum software which, as it turns out, also takes quite a bit of power. Add to that enough bandwidth to drive a few hundred simultaneous connections at a decent speed and you have gone miles past a home network for a site such as ***boat.
As an example, I cite Maxima.org which has turned off the search feature for non registered users as they were maxed out on their SQL server capacity.
-- Tom :) you must of checked out maxima.org eh?
it is REALLY getting crowded over there and starting to get ALOT of busy signals.

Tom Brown
07-03-2003, 08:17 PM
dmontzsta:
you must of checked out maxima.org eh?Not for a few months. I'm a gen 3 Maxima owner and have used and enjoyed that site for a few years.
The last I heard, they were running out of capacity on their server and were in the process of setting up a server for SQL only to feed data to their PHP server. The site was rejecting connections quite badly and things were slower than slow. Whacking the search feature really helped but then it increased the frequency of lame questions in the forums.
-- Tom :)

dmontzsta
07-03-2003, 08:33 PM
Tom Brown:
dmontzsta:
you must of checked out maxima.org eh?Not for a few months. I'm a gen 3 Maxima owner and have used and enjoyed that site for a few years.
The last I heard, they were running out of capacity on their server and were in the process of setting up a server for SQL only to feed data to their PHP server. The site was rejecting connections quite badly and things were slower than slow. Whacking the search feature really helped but then it increased the frequency of lame questions in the forums.
-- Tom :) sweet, a fellow 3rd genner, check out my profile and my site :)
any pics of yours?

***boat
07-03-2003, 09:49 PM
The classifieds section as it stands now gets a good amount of activity. People are having good luck selling their boats through the online classifieds.
The real power of the forums here is the vast amount of technical knowledge available.
Side note: Tom Brown you are correct. Not only is the server it's self expensive, but the bandwidth is incredible especially from the image center. The forums are not running off of SQL, rather off of txt files. I would like to upgrade to a non CGI (PHP,ASP,CFM... anything) type of forum, but I have not found a good (safe) way to move the threads over to a database yet.

burbanite
07-04-2003, 11:37 PM
dmontzsta:
wow, that is weird. You would think the registration supports the forum...
Registration??? :D