PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a dog...need help

Wet Dream
01-17-2003, 02:40 PM
I had a Golden Retriever for close to 15 years. He died about 5 years ago, and that was devestating enough. We're ready for a new addition to the family. I have just submitted my application to a local Golden Rescue shelter and am waiting for a reply. They currently have 2 pups left. I want a young dog so that it can grow and get used to my 2 boys 6 and 3. So out of curiousity, we went to the SPCA and looked around there. I would have taken about 75% of them home with me, but we are torn between 4 different ones. One is a rottie mix, female, one year old and a lap dog, so she thinks. The other is a sheppard mix, one year old, affectionate, but likes to jump up on people. Another option is a bother-sister set of puppies (7 wks), black terriers, but not rat type, more of a rounded face. And the other is a black lab retriever puppy (8 weeks). How do you decide which is best, or should I hold out for my Golden? We had to leave because I didn't want to make a spur of the moment decision, even though we can return or exchange the dog within 30 days. How the hell do you put a dog through that? Take him or her home and then possible have to take it back because its not all that. I'm also thinking about the size of the dog in relation to being able to take him in the boat. How does a rottie do in jet??

78Eliminator
01-17-2003, 02:44 PM
Black lab hands down. Best dog I ever owned....

waterloged
01-17-2003, 02:48 PM
how about a boxer.They are fun loving dogs and are go with kids...

Liberator TJ1984
01-17-2003, 02:48 PM
Labs tend to like the water at least the ones I've had. :D

75_Elim
01-17-2003, 02:51 PM
I'm in favor of the Lab. If you get the right one they can be the best friend you'll know.

DogHouse
01-17-2003, 02:51 PM
I have a black and a yellow lab, both very sweet and gentle dogs, love the water and great around kids. They do like to dig and chew so it's hard to keep the back yard neat, but then again the same could be said of many dogs. I don't think you can go wrong with a lab. Only one I ever met that I didn't like was a lab/chow mix and was mean and crazy.
-brian

Daytona19
01-17-2003, 02:58 PM
Believe it or not we just adopted a 5 month Pit bull,shar pa (spelling ???) and it is a wonderful dog, one of the best I have had out of 7 dogs. She mind well doesnt jump has trained easy and is fantastic with the kids and doesnt shed bad. She did get parvo from the shelter and it usually kills 95% of the animals affected but we caught it early and foung a medicne called PARVAID and it saved her life, the vet could not believe it, he gave her a death sentence or 120.00 a day but for 7 days. So its been a good expirence so far

Beautiful Noise
01-17-2003, 03:02 PM
I prefer Lab's also, I've had a Chocolate for 13 year's till I had to put her down a couple of year's ago,Now I have a Yellow Lab who's 11 Month's Old.Wonderful Dog's around Water and People,She make's every trip to the River with Us :)
Steve

1stepcloser
01-17-2003, 03:06 PM
Back in '95 we went to a local no-kill animal shelter and adopted a dog. 6 months later we went and adopted another one for a companion to the first.
The first is a german shepherd mix, the second is australian shepherd. They are, as my daughter refers to them "mutley-ding-dongs".
They also are the two best dogs I have ever had the pleasure of having. Excellent companions, excelent watchdogs, super loyal, and very durable.
By that I mean neither has ever been sick, or anything like that.
Go with the dogs from the shelter. They will be great pets, and you will be doing them a great service. :)

Screaming Pete
01-17-2003, 03:08 PM
I'd go black Lab,myself, but my wife just put a deposit down on a rat terrier

superdave013
01-17-2003, 03:09 PM
I think you should get one of those pound puppies. Growing up we always had Goldens too. Great dogs for sure. But as you know, they all get homes.
I have a Sheppard/golden mix and a Sheppard/husky mix. Both are great dogs.
I got one as a pup and had my pick. The one that bonded with me was the one I got. The other was a little under a year when I got her. A friend found her down by the port of LA covered in Grease and oil. It took awhile for her to come around but now she's one of my best buds.
Remember, dogs are reflections of their owners. Bring them up right and they will be great.

superdave013
01-17-2003, 03:11 PM
1stepcloser:
Go with the dogs from the shelter. They will be great pets, and you will be doing them a great service. :) Ditto!

RandyH
01-17-2003, 03:18 PM
Nothin Greater than cruisin with a dog standing on point in the bow. This is how she feels when where not in the water. I might try a German Shorthair next time. Great for Duck Hunting.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/alarm.JPG
Good luck and post some picture of your decision. :D

ROZ
01-17-2003, 03:24 PM
We have a Golden Retriever/Lab mix that we picked up when my daughter was around 6 months old. At that time the Molly (the dog) was 8 weeks old. Molly was a little rambunctious throughout the yard and when an adult was outside, but she has NEVER lay a paw on our little girl. She'd jump all over my wife and me, but not our daughter. Both are 3 now and play together in the backyard like old friends as harmoniously as you could ask for. Hell, my girl yanks on Molly's years and tail without incident. The dog is a sweetheart, and I know we'll be happy with her for years to come.
If your coice is between the lab or retriever, you can't make a bad decision choosing between the two. But if you have your heart set on the retriever, wait to see if the rescue shelter gives you a call.
just my worthless .02 :)
Chris

miller19j
01-17-2003, 03:27 PM
superdave013:
1stepcloser:
Go with the dogs from the shelter. They will be great pets, and you will be doing them a great service. :) Ditto! I couldn’t agree with this more! I am glad to see that so many other people think this way! :)

ROZ
01-17-2003, 03:29 PM
1stepcloser:
the second is australian shepherd. :) My parents have a pair of them. Great dogs.

Hotcrusader76
01-17-2003, 03:30 PM
3 votes for the shelter. My father got one there and has always been pleased with doing them a favor.
~Ty

DogHouse
01-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Roz, I've always thought of Goldens as long-haired labs! Very similar dispositions, nice as can be.
Both of ours were freebies, one a stray that wandered into a friend's house (no tags, very skinny, had been in the desert for a while), and one that the owner had to give up because he couldn't keep her anymore.
-brian

25Elmn8r
01-17-2003, 03:34 PM
I have to say the Shepherd mix. I have a 12 year old Shepherd/Collie mix that my wife saved from the pound and has been the best dog ever. She has been a great watch dog, very protective of my kids and wife. She will not leave your side or the property. We have accidentaly left her out front overnight and she slept on the front porch. As far as jumping up, you can fix that easily. A close second would be the Lab. I have a black lab about 3 years old. He is a great dog also, but requires so much attention. No matter how much attention you give him he doesn't think it is enough. And he DIGS! He is a very sweet dog, but doesn't realize how big he is. My youngest gets knocked around a bit when they are playing.

MJ19
01-17-2003, 03:35 PM
I think if you have a family of small children the rottie dog might be too much and knock your kids over with excitement a little too often. :( Sounds like if he's wanting to be a lap dog, he may not realize their are little people in the room that can't hold a big dog up.
I think the lab pup or holding out for your golden rescue would be a nice family dog that could grow with you and your family. I'm glad to hear you're looking for a rescue pup or dog, they are the best ever!!! After a year of age, you will really need to spend LOTS of time training certain aspects in or out of a dog you choose. (keep that in mind) After about a year they have certain habits that may or may not be the greatest...for example, we adopted a border collie at the age of 5 months and because he had spent most of those 5 months in a kennel he was REALLY tricky to potty train...took almost a year, and he's still not 100% able to be in the house alone. :rolleyes:
Larger dogs are tougher on the boats, because their nails are larger and stronger, they tend to scratch the gel/paint and can tear seats. All dog nails are capable of damage, but if they are a calm breed and not hyper then it is easier to train "boat behavor". Excited & goofy but loveable dogs on a boat would be a mess and a headache in all honesty. That would cause a lot of frustration and the dog would be an innocent victim. :(
As much as I love our goofy dog (border collie), he would not do well on the boat, however our other dogs (tibetan terrier & Golden X) would be great on the boat they are capable of settling down and relaxing, unlike the border collie who's on a constant "GO" :D
Back to the various pups you have mentioned. I think if you have the time to put into training then the two litter mates would be nice. However...having litter mates is really tough & tricky, because they bond to each other and not their human family as well as they would if they were single dogs. If you get litter mates you would want to take them on separate walks, different training classes, giving them alone time to bond and respect the family members, etc...keeping them together and separate at various times until later when they've bonded to the family and have accepted everyone as part of the pack so to say. :)
Many people get litter mates thinking that they'll have eachother and won't be bored in the back yard, that is not a good reason to get litter mates..if you do not have the time to give them separate training, they can be twice the pain in your rear later down the road.
Well there is my 2 cents...hope it's helpful.
a good place to get LOTS of advice from dog lovers, trainers, vets, etc is Great Pets Web Site...Click Here (http://www.greatpets.com)
There is great training advice, choosing a pup advice, breed advice, etc...etc...etc... you name it if it's about dogs, they talk about it on their threads :D

MJ19
01-17-2003, 03:43 PM
Hotcrusader76:
3 votes for the shelter. My father got one there and has always been pleased with doing them a favor.
~Ty FYI ~ all the dogs he's talking about are from one shelter or another...most breeds have shelters that focus mainly if not completely on that particular breed. I.E. a border collie rescue place might have pure BCs and they may also have some Border Collie mixes as well.
IMHO ~ Anyone looking for a special breed should check out the breed rescue sites first before buying from a breeder...there are too many dogs (mutt & pure) looking for homes.

diggler
01-17-2003, 03:50 PM
I have a bulldog. Best damn dog I've ever owned. He does need to always wear a doggie life-preserver though. Other than that, he's great in the boat, and on land too.

Nubbs
01-17-2003, 03:54 PM
And the other is a black lab retriever puppy (8 weeks). I would go with the black lab. I didn't really want a dog, but my mom got a black lab for Christmas of 2002. Now I wouldn't trade him for anything. And he's a harmless thing too.

Havasu Cig
01-17-2003, 04:02 PM
I have had 4 pits and they are the best dogs I have ever owned. Very smart, very tough and very good with people. They all have had fun loving personalities (sp) and just want to make you happy.

Beautiful Noise
01-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Great Dog, He has something about Leg's he like's to Hump alot but as long as you let him Finish there is no Problem :rolleyes:
Steve
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Redneck_Dog.JPG

MJ19
01-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Beautiful Noise:
Great Dog, He has something about Leg's he like's to Hump alot but as long as you let him Finish there is no Problem :rolleyes:
Steve
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Redneck_Dog.JPG Where's his mullet? :p :D

Kamakazi Ken
01-17-2003, 04:20 PM
We have a Big $$$$ pure bred champion line dog, great dog but a little fussy with all strangers (including kids) and I have to really keep an eye on him (135#) once he gets to know you he is usally ok. But this summer we adopted a golden retriver german shepard mix. Talk about a great dog, with kids, friends and of course water. I've always heard mix breeds have the best temperment, from what I've seen they may be true.
KK

cheezpanel
01-17-2003, 04:30 PM
We've got a 4 year old female black lab, and a 6 yr old female rottie. They both LOVE going to the river with us. Both are smart and gentle...neither has ever hurt a soul. Our lab, though, gets so excited when she sees the water that I swear she needs ritalin. I won't take them on busy weekends because she's so happy to see everyone that I have to keep her leashed the entire time we're on the water. Our rottweiler, however, will stay put all day if I tell her to. Both are great dogs....good luck.

twistedpair
01-17-2003, 05:09 PM
My Chocolate Lab is the best dog I've ever owned, hands down. Smart as hell, and all he wants to do is please and be with you. Second choice is my Boxer (recently passed away) or a Black Lab, we always had blacks when I was a kid.

NEW 2 RIVER
01-17-2003, 07:02 PM
My dad got a rot mix at the pound and it has been his best dog yet.My wifes grandfather has a lab and he is one cool dog as well.But if its close and the dog at the shelter isnt too agressive with the kids.Then you got to consider the dog at the pound.Besides the dog at the pound may prove to be more social with other animals due to its current enviorment.Which could be a benifit if you intend to take it boating.

THOR
01-17-2003, 07:20 PM
I have had several Golden Retrievers and they have all been really good boating and family dogs. My brother has a yellow lab and it is great also. So, its pretty much personal preference.

AudioGuy
01-17-2003, 08:01 PM
our Rotti loves to go to the lake, makes the best all round dog.

JetBoatRich
01-17-2003, 08:05 PM
We have a Belgium Shepard. Great with the kids, never barks unless needed. She is in the truck before anybody else when take the boat out :D

FireMD
01-17-2003, 08:36 PM
Golden Retriever is the way to go. All dogs are good if you train them right, but a Golden is 1 step above as far as a family dog and patience with kids go. I've had 1 for 6 years and since she was a pup she can ride in the back of the truck anywhere, walk without a leash and is great with kids. I love that dog.

sandblasted
01-17-2003, 09:05 PM
The most important thing is how each of the dogs interact with your kids...Pick the one that plays best with your kids and you'll have a great dog...If your kids can pull its ears and tail and it plays along with them then usually its a pretty good dog...

Raskal
01-17-2003, 10:33 PM
i had a black lab was a great dog for about two years then i had kids and the dog got real jealous around my baby so he had to go .now i got a 1 year old boxer and he is the best dog with my 2 kids 4 year old girl and 2 year old boy .my boy goes crazy with him and the dog just hangs out real calm. he is the best dog i ever had

bear down
01-18-2003, 12:44 AM
This is a no brainer. GO LAB!!

bear down
01-18-2003, 12:56 AM
Here is a pic of my Lab (pepper).http://C:\My Documents\My Pictures

bchbum
01-18-2003, 06:48 AM
I got a black lab mix from the shelter when he was only 4weeks old . His mother was killed & they were getting ready to put the pups down .I had to feed him gerbers baby food ,til he could eat puppy food .He grew into a 75 # family ruler ,the twins could drag him anywhere by his tail. The girls were the most important thing to him . Had him over 15 years .Yes go black lab.

Mrs Big Boy Toys
01-18-2003, 08:34 AM
We have a Black Lab and a Shih Tzu They are both great dogs. http://www.pritek.net/images/sables1.jpg http://www.pritek.net/images/spazmon1.jpg
[ January 18, 2003, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Mrs Big Boy Toys ]

MJ19
01-18-2003, 10:07 AM
FireMD:
Golden Retriever is the way to go. All dogs are good if you train them right, but a Golden is 1 step above as far as a family dog and patience with kids go. I've had 1 for 6 years and since she was a pup she can ride in the back of the truck anywhere, walk without a leash and is great with kids. I love that dog. Our big guy "Buddy" is a golden mix (mother was pure golden father was aussie/border collie) looks and acts EXACTLY like a golden but he's all black (similar to flat coat retrievers)
anyhow, he is and always has been a good dog, well behaved, gentle with kids pulling & tugging on him, taking his food away, you name it, he's been great around kids. And he too rides well in the truck, walks at a heel with no leash, all around perfect dog...so I vote on waiting for the Golden as well. Yet remember it will be a DIFFERENT dog from your last and to compare the two is not fair. If you feel you will compare golden to golden then go for the black lab it's the next best thing when it comes to a family dog. :)

Wet Dream
01-18-2003, 08:28 PM
Thank you everybody for your opinions and stories. I was prepared to get up this morning and go back to the SPCA and see what was going on. Before I even thought about waking up, the wife had to get up and answer the phone. I figured it was her parents as usual on a weekend. When I heard her say "Cinder" I knew it was the Golden Rescue calling and asking questions. Cinder is my old Golden. I sprang out of bed and tried to clear my throat as best I could so I could talk to the lady. They were going to check my references and get back to me. I have been pacing the house all day and finally decided that we should just go out to dinner and pass time. I am hoping for a phone call tomorrow before noon. This does not rule out a second adoption from the SPCA. Thanks again everybody. I'll keep you posted.

snappertapper
01-18-2003, 08:59 PM
Bull dog or great dane

Infomaniac
01-18-2003, 09:08 PM
This is how we selected ours. Golden Retriever by the way. Answer the questionair and it recommends a breed. Way cool and lots of help. Oh yea, A guy out here brings his lab in a Cheyenne jet. Dog stands on the nose while idling around and gets in the seat when under way.
Puppy Finder Breed Selector (http://www.puppyfinder.com/selector/intro.dog)

MJ19
01-19-2003, 08:59 AM
Wet Dream:
Thank you everybody for your opinions and stories. I was prepared to get up this morning and go back to the SPCA and see what was going on. Before I even thought about waking up, the wife had to get up and answer the phone. I figured it was her parents as usual on a weekend. When I heard her say "Cinder" I knew it was the Golden Rescue calling and asking questions. Cinder is my old Golden. I sprang out of bed and tried to clear my throat as best I could so I could talk to the lady. They were going to check my references and get back to me. I have been pacing the house all day and finally decided that we should just go out to dinner and pass time. I am hoping for a phone call tomorrow before noon. This does not rule out a second adoption from the SPCA. Thanks again everybody. I'll keep you posted. Keep us posted...I can't wait to hear the outcome and see pictures of your newest family member(s) :)

mud duck
01-19-2003, 09:17 AM
This is Kodiak, my 9 year old, 110 pound, Alaskan Malamute. Here she had just received her summer clipping to begin the season. It was a late Memorial Day weekend night, after a full day of boating. This breed is very affectionate and can handle the cold weather without any trouble. :D
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Memorial_Day20020021.JPG

Moomawnster
01-19-2003, 09:42 AM
Hey Bill ! good luck ! My cousin had a Golden named "Molson" she trained him as a rescue dog and parachuted from a helicopter with him ! eek! My buddys retriever has to be tied to the boat while we swim or else she tries to "save" us .... :D My dog won't fit in the boat .....
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/BELGINMAY.JPG

Rayhill
01-19-2003, 09:50 AM
Weenie dogs!!!
Chicks in Bikinis love weenies!
"Can I pet your weenie?"
"AWW! Look at that guy's weenie!"
"Can I hold your weenie?"
My friends wife thought my weenies skin was too dry. So she gave my weenie a rub down with cocoa butter!
LOL!
Kidding aside! Dachshunds are known to be good car dogs. Our's loves the boat. He knows when its alright to get up the edge and when to get down. He always draws a crowd at the marina. They are not the best of swimmers though! Those little legs dont work too well in the water!
Labs and Jack Russells are great also!
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwDeAm8ZRSBtVrj6iIGvxA*lwF5znLsZyGvsn1HB5!