PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to South Padre Island?

91nordic29
07-02-2003, 07:28 AM
not interested in spring break or holidays but just a weekend away. what is it like? any recommendations? :cool:
[ July 02, 2003, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: 91nordic29 ]

stroke-me
07-02-2003, 08:15 AM
Fun place. Any of the hotels are OK. Try and get one on the beach on the ocean side.
A great place to eat is a place called "Louis Back Yard". Cost about 28.00 per and is an all you can eat with crab legs, shrimp, scallops, beef and lots more.
Also some fun and games for the teens.
If you like to body surf you can go up the beach and have fun. :cool:

rrrr
07-02-2003, 08:40 AM
Fun place, about as good as it gets on the "Texas Riviera" LOL. The Gulf water is kinda brown sometimes, but it's not too bad. You can make a run to Matamoros if you are interested in that sorta thing, but I would avoid it. Typical dirty border town.
You can rent a lake (ocean?) lice to ride in the surf, and the charter fishing boats are pretty cheap if you wanna take a morning trip.

Off-Road Dave
07-02-2003, 08:56 AM
My babe and I just got back from spending four days in "SPI" and we had a blast! I highly recommend staying at the Radisson Hotel. The beach water was crystal clear and emerald green. We were very surprised how clean they keep it down there...I guess so with a $2,000 fine for littering! That was refreshing. Every Friday night at Louies Back Yard att 9:15 they have a great fireworks show but Louies gets packed pretty early. Good food but watch out for those $15 margaritas! Also, good places to eat are the Sea Ranch Marina for the high end grub and a really cool place with great NY style pizza and excellent brew is a place called the Padre Island Brewing Company.
There are lot's of families on vacation down there right now so get reservations asap.
Also, there is a "clothing optional" beach about 12 miles up the beach from town but you will need a 4WD or a sand rail to get up there.
Check out http://www.sopadre.com/ and http://www.spadre.com/ for more info.
Dave

roln 20s
07-02-2003, 09:28 AM
I went there about 8 years ago with my family, I was only like 13 or something. I had the best time. I can't wait to go back.
The water and weather were great, we went parasailing, rented some lake lice, and even some quads for a ride. We took a bay fishing trip at night, and I of course, caught NOTHING, but it was still fun.
I think it was a great place, family, couple or just for singles, I think its on my top 10 lists for places to go back.
For any Texas people: Have any of you been to Shleiterbaun (SP) lately? I love that place and want to go visit my grandparents at the end of the summer and hopefully go there again. Anything new there?
South Padre Island is awesome.
Roln 20s

91nordic29
07-02-2003, 09:34 AM
ROLN 20
you not going to pleasant tomorrow to watch fireworks?

Off-Road Dave
07-02-2003, 09:49 AM
ROLN20s, Schlitterbahn ( http://www.schlitterbahn.com/ )in New Braunfels adds new rides every year and they were just named best waterpark in the US. 65+ acres of wet and wild fun. They even have a fairly new park on South Padre.
Also, the Travel Channel named South Padre Island the #4 beach in the US. Know I know why.

91nordic29
07-02-2003, 12:58 PM
thanks for all the info! :cool:

BlownCole
07-02-2003, 02:13 PM
I am going to be there next week, glad this thread came up, sounds like there is a lot of fun to be had there

roln 20s
07-02-2003, 03:00 PM
91Nordic29--
I am thinking about hitting Pleasant tomorrow night, I'll let you guys know. Where are you meeting at? What time? If I go, I'll get there around 6pm.
Off-Road Dave--thanks for the update. Now I want to go there even more. I got to thinkin about it when I was watching discovery channel water parks not too long ago. That place is bad ass-nothing in AZ could ever compare.
Roln 20s