PDA

View Full Version : Sirrus -VS- XM

hd&boatrider
04-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Any opinions on this? I have a rental car today with Sirrus and it seems to work well. The name/artist of the song playing comes up on the display. I have wanted to put something like this in my boat for a while and want to know the difference between the two. Which one is better, etc. Thanks in advance.
Tom aka hd&boatrider

SCUBA STEVE
04-16-2003, 10:21 AM
I wont be much help.I have sirrus on the boat right now but havent activated it yet. since I started to burn my own cd's I figured I would save me the monthly & activation fee. But I still might do it so I can listen to the Laker play off games while out on the water.

ROZ
04-16-2003, 10:36 AM
hd&boatrider:
Any opinions on this? I have a rental car today with Sirrus and it seems to work well. The name/artist of the song playing comes up on the display. I have wanted to put something like this in my boat for a while and want to know the difference between the two. Which one is better, etc. Thanks in advance.
Tom aka hd&boatrider XM has more intra-XM commercials, but has more stations, is a little cheaper per month, and has a multi user discount(family plan). Both are digital, so they sound the same.
Forgot....XM has more repeaters, but the Sirrus satellite angle is different, so less repeaters were required.
I'd buy based on the features of whatever brand stereo you go with.
[ April 16, 2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

hd&boatrider
04-16-2003, 10:46 AM
ROZ:
hd&boatrider:
Tom aka hd&boatrider XM has more intra-XM commercials, but has more stations, is a little cheaper per month, and has a multi user discount(family plan). Both are digital, so they sound the same.
Forgot....XM has more repeaters, but the Sirrus satellite angle is different, so less repeaters were required.
I'd buy based on the features of whatever brand stereo you go with. Do you think coverage area will be an issue out on the lakes? Specifically Lake Mohave. I would think the coverage out on the water would be excellant. Also, if you were to play the stations instead of your CD player wouldn't you be using less power thereby draining your batteries less?

SCUBA STEVE
04-16-2003, 11:22 AM
hd&boatrider:
Do you think coverage area will be an issue out on the lakes? Specifically Lake Mohave. I would think the coverage out on the water would be excellant. Also, if you were to play the stations instead of your CD player wouldn't you be using less power thereby draining your batteries less? I have heard coverage is great out on the lake, I am going to call the installer in a few to ask him about the battery dranage issue. Your theory seems logical to me. Hopefully we will have the answer soon. :D

ROZ
04-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Digital radio reception is not an issue. I have'nt heard of anyone loosing reception on any lakes. Maybe there is someone here who has heard different though....Maybe loosing it in steep canyons or something...
As far as conserving power, there would be very little noticeable difference, if any, in running satellite vs. cd. Turning a cd can't pull mych more that powering a satellite receiver...

H2on22
04-16-2003, 11:30 AM
I have Sirius in the H2 since Aug of last year and I love it. More stations w/out commercials than XM, several dance, trance, hip-hop, rap, rock, and top 40 stations and the signal is almost never a problem. Plus if you pay the year in advance you get a discount. If your headunit is Kenwood then you have to go with Sirius-Pioneer is XM. Best part is NO bullshit DJ's talking all that jive in your ear. Just one song after another and you will not want to listen to the radio again. If you need any more help just :D ask.

hd&boatrider
04-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Thanks everybody for the input. I am going to try to get this taken care of and I think I will go with whichever one I see first :) . One good thing about the songs they play: since they give you the title you can write them down and make your own CD's. I really like that aspect of it. You know how hard it is to get a song name from regular radio play. Fustrating to say the least.

ROZ
04-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Sony - XM
Alpine-XM
Delphi- XM
Pioneer- XM
25 GM vehicles, Nissan, Infinity, and Honda.- XM
Kenwood- Sirrius
Clarion- Sirrius
Panasonic-Sirrius
Neither Eclipse or Nakamichi have satellite radio option.

No Regrets
04-16-2003, 03:09 PM
I have XM on my Hallett & we boat mostly a LHC. The only dead spot( for a split second) is under the bridge. I then put it my rig -the wifes car & I'm about to incorporate it into home theatre system. I think GM bailed them out as you now see xm ready units in all gm vehicles. I think XM is the safer risk and more head units are XM ready than Sirrus.
I hope my buddy who works for Kenwood doesnt read this- Sorry Scott.
PS-I have the XM Apline deck w/ a single cd in it & I very rarely listen to cd's anymore. It was the coolest @ the Xmas lite parade in the channel w/ Xmas tunes blarin.

hd&boatrider
04-16-2003, 04:38 PM
Used the Sirius today and it is pretty neat. I can't quit switching the damn channels though. I guess my Elipse head unit in the boat will not work according to ROZ. Dam it! So would I have to buy another head unit? That sucks! I have to know which way I am going XM or Sirius before choosing my head unit?
[ April 16, 2003, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: hd&boatrider ]

No Regrets
04-16-2003, 06:18 PM
Head unit is service particular, but in my truck I have the fm frequency style xm unit. Its not as clean sounding as a xm head unit, but you can hook on of those to any radio and tune to a certain fm frequency. They start @ I think like $200, almost worth puttins in a XM ready deck tho.

PowellScooter
04-16-2003, 06:23 PM
Ohhh yeeeah. My friend has an in at Kenwood and got me the hookup on a deck and the Sirrus receiver and antenna for the suburban. I installed it and activated it a few weeks ago. I am completely sold on it, no dead spots what-so-ever! The variety and sheer number of channels is awesome. The only warning I can give you is be careful if you have kids in the car, the songs and the comedy channel are not edited so the kids may hear the F word...
no biggie, we explained the use to the kids and they giggle when Fitty Cent says the nasty word.
Go with Sirrus its bitchen`