PDA

View Full Version : Launch Ramp Etiquette

mirvin
10-06-2003, 02:48 PM
What's with people not understanding that the launch ramp is ALL BUSINESS!! Everytime I go to the lake there's allways people sitting on the ramp lolly gagging.
Sometimes they sit there with their boat on the trailer, sometimes they sit there and their boat isn't even in sight!!! Most recently there were 2 sets of sea doo trailers sitting in the water with nobody around. The people and their sea doo's were over at the beach having a picnick while their crap was blocking the ramp!! The Ranger finally tracked them down and made them move!!
If you get to the ramp to pick up and your boat aint ready, tough shit, you gotta get back in line and start over!!
:mad: :mad: :mad: devil

ACCEPTENCE
10-06-2003, 02:54 PM
Usually happens becuase those types of jackhole-butheads have no common sence or consideration and figure they are the only important people around.
They have no place to be, no one will miss them and they have all day to go nowhere!!!
Effin retards :mad: :mad: :mad:

dimarcobros
10-06-2003, 03:15 PM
What pisses me off is those a**holes that sit on the side of the launch ramp in chairs with ice chest for the sole purpose to laugh at people. When someone is having trouble backing in the trailer or having trouble with anything else, they jsut sit there and smile. Get off your a** and help. That just annoyes me. burningm :mad: burningm :mad:
DMB

summerlove
10-06-2003, 03:21 PM
dimarcobros:
What pisses me off is those a**holes that sit on the side of the launch ramp in chairs with ice chest for the sole purpose to laugh at people. When someone is having trouble backing in the trailer or having trouble with anything else, they jsut sit there and smile. Get off your a** and help. That just annoyes me. burningm :mad: burningm :mad:
DMB Yea, but look at'em! They're a bunch of fat old men that wish they had boats as cool as the rest of us (assuming I have a cool boat, that is!) wink I do harass them sometimes though. One time, my wife and I had a hell of a time getting theboat to sit right, and I was on the left side of the ramp at LHC marina, and they started giving me crap (jokingly) - I gave it right back. Asked if they wanted another Schlitz! :D
[ October 06, 2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: summerlove ]

jbtrailerjim
10-06-2003, 03:25 PM
dimarcobros:
You gotta admit sometimes it's pretty damn funny how stupid people can be when they are loading and unloading there boats. Some people make such a project out of launching and loading there boats on a trailer. :rolleyes:
Jim
DMB

fourspeednup
10-06-2003, 03:43 PM
Best time on the ramp, 23 seconds with my little jet. Those fat asses sitting on the side were clapping as I gave them the finger. (I was really just telling them they were #1)

MagicMtnDan
10-06-2003, 04:09 PM
dimarcobros:
What pisses me off is those a**holes that sit on the side of the launch ramp in chairs with ice chest for the sole purpose to laugh at people. When someone is having trouble backing in the trailer or having trouble with anything else, they jsut sit there and smile. Get off your a** and help. That just annoyes me. burningm :mad: burningm :mad: DMB[/b] I won't condone these buttholes sittin' there watching but you gotta know that some of the very best entertainment on the water besides stripper poles on boats, pasties and beer bongs happens at the launch ramp.
Dumb question of the day: how are people supposed to get educated about launch ramp etiquette? Seems like everyone HERE knows what to do and how to do it but what about everybody else? Is there some way people become educated about launch ramp behavior? When someone's being a ramp-turd can't we yell out to them, "RTFM?" (Read The Effen Manual!)
[ October 06, 2003, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: MagicMtnDan ]

mickeyfinn
10-06-2003, 04:31 PM
Down here the ones having trouble are the "weekend warriors" The people who have boats that they only use once or twice a year. It is the same people who panic whenever a little thunderstorm blows up and all the sudden they have to have the boat out right now!!. They are afraid of getting the boat wet. The lake here has gotten so bad we don't even go near the south end during the weekend. Me and a buddy used to wait on the big thunderstorms to blow up and go to the launch ramp to watch the entertainment. We even had 8 x 10 cards with the numbers 1-10 so we could hold them up and rate them. Almost every weekend there would be at least one boat bounce off the trailer half way up the ramp. Then we would be one of the first to start rounding up help to help lift the damn gayliner or sea ray back on the trailer where it would sit until next year.

Rexone
10-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Where the hell's Burt when you need him. He's really well versed on this subject!

572Daytona
10-06-2003, 05:18 PM
I admit it, I've got to be one of the slowest launcher/retrievers. If it is a good year (no repairs needed) I launch once in the spring and retrieve once in the fall so I don't get a lot a practice. I do it alone so I have to tie my boat to the dock or beach it while I walk to my car and back it down. It usually takes me a couple of tries to back the trailer down the right way, especially the SeaDoo trailer. Trying to back that thing empty behind the Suburban is next to impossible since you can't see it, I usually have to get out and straighten it out by hand.
When I launch, before I even think of removing it from the trailer, I always double and triple check for leaks. Even the SeaDoo. I almost lost it last year when it developed a leak around the pump shaft. So now I always remove the seat to check it for leaks as well. Before pulling back up the ramp I always make sure that the boat is aligned properly and securely fastened. I lost a boat off a trailer in the middle of an intersection before, it is not a fun experience.
I can't stand the pricks who sit and watch and laugh and don't offer to help someone who is obviously struggling. I'm sure these are the same assholes that wouldn't tow you in if you are broken down in the middle of the lake. Normally to avoid them and the impatient bass boaters who like to dig holes in the mud at the bottom of the ramps by gunning their motors when putting their boats on or off their trailers, I usually plan to hit the ramp during the week when no one else is there. Other than the guy with the canoe this is how the ramp usually looks to me:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/368Dscn0698e.jpg
[ October 06, 2003, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: 572Daytona ]

mike37
10-06-2003, 06:03 PM
US Coast Guard Auxiliary
There are some very simple tips that we can all benefit from involving launch ramp etiquette that can make everyone's day a lot nicer, and begin the day on the
Boat Ramp Etiquette
Launching
Don't pull onto ramp until your boat is ready to launch.
Prepare for launching in the parking area. Remove covers, load equipment, remove stern tie downs, attach mooring lines, etc., before pulling onto the ramp. Don't release your bow winch line. Do unplug your trailer lights! Is your drain plug in?
When ready, pull into line to launch. Wait your turn. Be courteous.
It takes at least two people to efficiently and courteously launch your boat: one to handle the boat and one to take care of the tow vehicle.
Launch on the designated side of the ramp. Normally this is on the left side of the ramp when facing shore, but it may vary. Most ramps are marked.
When your turn comes, back into the water, release your boat from the trailer, and get both the boat and tow vehicle clear of the launch area as quickly as possible. If you feel competent, power your boat off the trailer. Be courteous.
Enjoy your day on the water!
Know which side of the ramp is designated for loading.
Don't block the loading area with your boat until your tow vehicle is ready to load. Wait until you are clear of the launch area to unload gear.
Get in line and wait your turn. Be courteous.
As soon as your trailer is in the water, load your boat and secure your bow line. If you feel competent, power your boat onto the trailer.
Retrieve the boat and trailer from the water as quickly as possible.
Get clear of the ramp. Pull into the parking area to finish securing your boat and unload gear. Don't stop on the ramp.
When your boat is secure, leave the parking area and drive home safely. Did you remove the drain plug? Are your trailer lights plugged in and working?
For more boating information, contact the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation at 334-4199, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary at 345-8883, or Ada County Waterways at 343-1328. These tips courtesy of Ada County Waterways .
[ October 06, 2003, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: mike37 ]

Tom Brown
10-06-2003, 06:07 PM
572Daytona:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/368Dscn0698e.jpg It's not very often I have to put up with crowds like that. :)

anxious
10-06-2003, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dimarcobros:
[QB] What pisses me off is those a**holes that sit on the side of the launch ramp in chairs with ice chest for the sole purpose to laugh at people. When someone is having trouble backing in the trailer or having trouble with anything else, they jsut sit there and smile. Get off your a** and help. That just annoyes me. burningm :mad: burningm :mad:
some of the best times at havasu landing are between 5-7. memorial weekend this year was the biggest ive ever seen. at least 70+ people watching.

anxious
10-06-2003, 06:23 PM
[QB] What pisses me off is those a**holes that sit on the side of the launch ramp in chairs with ice chest for the sole purpose to laugh at people. When someone is having trouble backing in the trailer or having trouble with anything else, they jsut sit there and smile. Get off your a** and help. That just annoyes me. burningm :mad: burningm :mad:
some of the best times at havasu landing are between 5-7. memorial weekend this year was the biggest ive ever seen. at least 70+ people watching.

rrrr
10-06-2003, 06:23 PM
You know what? The whole ****ing world is populated by assholes like those you meet on the ramp. Every day I run across people that are so goddamn rude, only thinking about "me", it drives me crazy.
The boat ramp, people in the left lane, stupid ****ers on the airplane with three bags the size of a Chevette, the list is endless.
Last night I saw a good example, this fat black bitch with an attitude was cussing out the clerk at a convenience store I stopped at. Her ID was expired, and so in the interest of preserving his job he refused to sell to her. She was telling him how she didn't have the money to be driving around trying to buy wine.
She reamed him good with her loud stupid ass sistah talk. I was headed for the counter when she huffed out, and by the time I got outside she was gone. I had intended to tell her what a ****ing lowlife c*nt she was. At least the brother she was shittin' on had the desire to get a job and the self control to keep from slapping that walking piece of shit.

Tom Brown
10-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Easy there, rrrr.....
Deep breath in.... breathe out.... ahhhhh..... :)
I happen to agree with you. The thing is, not everyone is like that. Every so often, you meet someone who is kind, generous, and classy. The crass, mouth breathing masses make nice people easier to spot.
[ October 06, 2003, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

TCHB
10-06-2003, 06:38 PM
I think this group has high blood pressure and needs to go for nice boat ride.

Tom Brown
10-06-2003, 06:39 PM
TCHB:
I think this group has high blood pressure and needs to go for nice boat ride. Get bent. :mad:

DEEZ NUTTS
10-06-2003, 06:42 PM
Another Bayliner/Sea Ray requirement. Now that the Launch ramp at Powell is completely sand/gravel you must floor your truck to get out of the water. Thanks Guy, I love backing through the holes you just dug!

mirvin
10-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Looks like we really got two crowds when it comes to the launch ramp lamers:
1. First, you got yer un-informed, you know, maybe their new, or just never really had anyone show 'em how it works. I'll take these folks all-day. Shit I even help em out when I run accross em.
2. Second, it's the Class A ****-tards. These are the ones that piss everyone off! They're not causing problems cuz they don't know any better, they're just a-holes. These are the same butt-knuckles that cause problems everywhere. There the ones you wish you werent' camped next to, or that litter up the lake. I stay clear of these ones, just to keep my sanity and stay out of jail......
:D :D
:D

FletchMonster
10-06-2003, 07:42 PM
Seen both groups. Got more help when I needed it than s#*t when I didn't, so guess I'm lucky.

RiverToysJas
10-06-2003, 07:46 PM
DEEZ NUTTS:
Another Bayliner/Sea Ray requirement. Now that the Launch ramp at Powell is completely sand/gravel you must floor your truck to get out of the water. Thanks Guy, I love backing through the holes you just dug! OR on the paved ramp when they just sit there with their foot to the floor and smoke rolling off the back tires, not moving, just waiting for it to "hook up". Yeah, that's cool!!! wink
RTJas :D

HCS
10-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Damn! Where do you guys launch at? :D :D
Geeze, There might be a drunk fishin boat in my way
once in a while.

79Hawaiian
10-06-2003, 09:02 PM
Cock-sucker SeaDon'ts standing knee deep in water on the ramp holding their ski waiting for the tow vehicle blocking one or two lanes. Come hell or high water they ain't gonna move until they see bubba with their trailer. :confused:
I have fun. I get lined up to the water, put it in reverse, and PUNCH IT. The sight of a trailer heading their way at 30mph usually gets the point across. :D

79Hawaiian
10-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Does everyone unplug lights? I have never done it in 15 years of boating and have yet to have a problem, only one bulb replacement in 15 years.

BADBLOWN572
10-07-2003, 07:35 AM
It is pretty fun to sit on the side of the launch ramp and watch people f'up. :D We stay at a house that borders the public launch ramp in Parker on the Arizona side just up from Badnocks. On a holiday weekend, it is nuts! We will sit on the sea wall with a case of beer and watch people screw up. Occasionally we will help them out, but usually they are the new boat owners that will not let anyone else help them because they know it all. Stupid! A holiday weekend is not the time to learn how to back up your boat. It also pisses me off when they back the boat into the water and then load the boat while on the launch ramp and people are waiting to launch. Those are the people we give tons of crap to. We have paper plates with -10, & 1-10 on them and we rate those guys -10. They get pissed, but sometimes the only way to learn is to be embarrased. Trust me we definitely recognize and respect those who at least are trying or seasoned veterans who demonstrate how to handle your boat/truck on the ramp.

Chase
10-07-2003, 09:16 AM
I have to say that a great deal of the action happens at the boat launch. My wife has always said that she was going to keep a log book where she can document some of the antics that happen at the boat launch. I don't want to brag, but I think my wife and I are pretty damn good when it comes to lauching and docking. When we launch, everything is ready before we get to the ramp, so when I get there all I do is back in, jump out and unhook the winch and give it a push. The wife holds the boat at the dock for about 1 min. with the engine running so when I get back from parking the truck I can get in and be gone from the dock...When docking I nose the boat to the dock where I leap out, the wife takes the boat...rips around, and then when I am at the dock with the truck (after waiting in line sometimes) she comes in and drives the boat onto the trailer, I hook it up with the winch and safety chain, and we are out of there...people in the boat remain in the boat until we are away for the launch area.
I will provide my assistance to anybody who requires it whether it is busy or not, simply because if it is busy, a helping hand will speed things up, and improve safety...and if it is not busy, what the hell, I am not holding anybody up.
I will rember people there though, and if you are a dink or have been in the past, good luck in having my helping hand.
I always like the people who are out boating, that will not get thier toes wet while launching or docking a boat..it seems thay are always the ones having problems, and I seem to find it easy to get in and give them a hand.

HavasuDreamin'
10-07-2003, 09:39 AM
I have had many o' good times watching people try to launch and retrieve. Nothing wrong with that. However, I don't sit there and make fun of any of them. I just chuckle at the bone heads. If someone is in serious need of help, I have no problems with that and have volunteered before.
I even got to climb up into an insanely lifted Ford Crew Cab on about 44" tires once and back the trailer down the ramp in the middle of a sandstorm because the guy's wife was a little scared. Try turning 44" tires with one of those little 13" Grant Steering wheels. pig_flyi

EricU
10-07-2003, 01:02 PM
In my younger days I used to run jet boats in the Northern California Delta, they were the low profile type from 18' to 19 1/2' long; you know the ones running Big Chevys giving out free “Basset Tattoos”.
When I got to the ramp, it was usually with a buddy and two female friends or it would be me and two buddies. The boat would already be fueled up, both beer and gas. Wouldn't take long at all to get the boat in the water and go. We would ski and drink our way to Lost Isle. It was time to go when our money ran out.
Fast forward about 15 years, one wife, two kids, no more jet boats. I now have two boats and they are both V-drives.
Now I try to prepare for the launch ramp, but seems like it takes forever with the kids, wife, **** I don't know! And friends (with their own kids) that bail on you! One time we were out, my one buddy's wife ended up loading four bags of food, including three different types of cheese! All that crap for a ****ing afternoon of wakeboarding, WTF! What ever happened to an ice chest full of beer? Beer is food!
I love the two boats that I have now, love my boys and my wife has big tits and a dynamite ass, but I do miss my old jet boats, even the burns from the Bassets!
Eric.

HavasuDreamin'
10-07-2003, 01:12 PM
EricU:
Fast forward about 15 years, one wife, two kids.
Now I try to prepare for the launch ramp, but seems like it takes forever with the kids, wife, **** I don't know! One time we were out, my one buddy's wife ended up loading four bags of food, including three different types of cheese! What ever happened to an ice chest full of beer? Beer is food!
Eric. I feel your pain. 10 years ago it was the biggest ice chest I could fit in my 19' Daytona crammed with as much beer as possible and nothing else. Now I am trying to find places for two ice chests (one strictly food), bags with chips, pretzles, napkins, garbage bags, not to mention the kid's sand toys.......pail, shovel, barbies, etc. WTF! It takes a miracle not to forget one of the 800 items we bring on my tiny 19' Eliminator Daytona. :rolleyes:

bilgewiper
10-07-2003, 02:19 PM
I can totally relate. 20+ years ago One Ice chest with cold ones, meat and PB&J in the old 16' Sidewinder jet, a Hibachi grill kept hidden in some bushes at the favorite beach all season, and we were good to go. Now it's Houseboat for all the stuff that somehow got important. And the old Laveycraft just for fun cause I'm told old and fat to ski but still like to go blow the cobwebs off everyonce in awhile.

jackpunx
10-07-2003, 02:28 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/943PWC-med.jpg

mirvin
10-07-2003, 02:50 PM
That is so freakin great!!! Where the hell is that? It looks like the ocean or lake michigan or something.
All those dudes runing around pointing and nobody jumps in the car???? Or even better, is there someone in the car?? I can't tell.
eek! eek!

jackpunx
10-07-2003, 03:04 PM
mirvin:
That is so freakin great!!! Where the hell is that? It looks like the ocean or lake michigan or something.
All those dudes runing around pointing and nobody jumps in the car???? Or even better, is there someone in the car?? I can't tell.
eek! eek! Are you going out next weekend?... We had a great trip.. I got to tell you about it..

Infomaniac
10-07-2003, 03:17 PM
I might stop and watch myself.
It would be amazing just watching people have to actually wait in line at the ramp.
Most ramps around here not more that 2 lanes wide. Way too many lakes and ramps to choose from.
Thanks Fishermen !!

DEEZ NUTTS
10-07-2003, 05:00 PM
Damn! I'd be pissed if I tore up my prop on the roof of that guys car. No I wouldnt ever do that, but shure would be funny to see jagged slices in it later in the parking lot.

TCHB
10-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Last summer I was pulling my boat out of Windsor and a guy in jacked up Suburban stepped out of the car and the door shut with the car running and all doors locked. He threw a large rock through the rear window to open the door. He was one pissed of guy and his wife just sat back and watched like this has happended before.

moneysucker
10-08-2003, 08:02 AM
The one thing I have to add is: drop the tailgate or open the rear doors and backing in is a lot easier. My dually farm truck is very difficult to see the empty trailer with the tailgate closed until the trailer is way out of shape.
There is nothing wrong with ramp action. The ones who need help get it and the jerks get S#*t.

little rowe boat
10-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Amen to that they would rather watch someone screw up their boat than lend a hand to someone in need of help.What goes around comes around.They will get theirs someday.
[ October 08, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: little rowe boat ]

little rowe boat
10-08-2003, 12:39 PM
[qb] What pisses me off is those a**holes that sit on the side of the launch ramp in chairs with ice chest for the sole purpose to laugh at people. When someone is having trouble backing in the trailer or having trouble with anything else, they jsut sit there and smile. Get off your a** and help. That just annoyes me. burningm :mad: burningm :mad:
Amen to that.
[ October 08, 2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: little rowe boat ]

hboldno7
10-08-2003, 12:48 PM
TCHB:
Last summer I was pulling my boat out of Windsor and a guy in jacked up Suburban stepped out of the car and the door shut with the car running and all doors locked. He threw a large rock through the rear window to open the door. He was one pissed of guy and his wife just sat back and watched like this has happended before. Thats Classic

Dr. Eagle
10-08-2003, 01:07 PM
dimarcobros:
You'll love this then. At the Orwood Resort in the Sacramento/San Joaquin Delta they have two ramps, each equipped with a set of bleachers for the peanut gallery. Lots of people sit there on a busy weekend and have a good laugh.
DMB

OGShocker
10-08-2003, 01:19 PM
I spend a bit of time in Venice, Louisiana. My buddies and I go fishing once a year down there. The locals have installed full blown bleechers at the launch ramp just so the locals have something to do on a Saturday afternoon. Last time I was there they were holding up SCORECARDS!
I have always felt you should help others in their time of need but, in Southern Lousiana you would get your a$$ kick just for asking to help some of those boys at the ramp. Hell, even their kids are MEAN!
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/%7Etuckerfamilylineage/Redneckphotosgrp/image010.jpg

Oldsquirt
10-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Dr. Eagle:
You'll love this then. At the Orwood Resort in the Sacramento/San Joaquin Delta they have two ramps, each equipped with a set of bleachers for the peanut gallery. Lots of people sit there on a busy weekend and have a good laugh.
Not any more they don't. Place has been remodeled. Real nice launch ramp and docks on the coffee shop side of the resort. I have heard stories of the bleachers, though.

phebus
10-08-2003, 01:29 PM
hboldno7:
TCHB:
He threw a large rock through the rear window to open the door. Thats Classic Now there is a guy with good launch ramp etiquette. Get on and off the ramp quick no matter what the cost.

Infomaniac
01-10-2009, 02:05 PM
bump

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I wonder what ever happened to Mirvin and Dr. Eagle. And Summerlove.