PDA

View Full Version : cost of speed

LaveyJet
03-26-2003, 10:05 PM
Being new to the forum, I don’t know if this has been brought up before or not, so I’ll throw it out anyway. I saw the Fountain add claiming a cost of $2,674 per MPH, way too much for me. I’ve got a 21’ Commander jet. I sucked a valve last fall :( , trashed the head. I’m finally getting around to fixing it, (tax refund) :) . So I’m spending about $3,000 on heads, cam and intake. Hope to get another 7 to 10 MPH :cool: . So, what would you pay for another 10 MPH?

HCS
03-26-2003, 10:12 PM
Cost of speed is how much you spend, Or you better have the right combination. Do your home work. You could save yourself alot of money. :rolleyes:
Speed cost bucks!.

Mandelon
03-26-2003, 10:18 PM
secondchance:
Being new to the forum, I don’t know if this has been brought up before or not, so I’ll throw it out anyway. I saw the Fountain add claiming a cost of $2,674 per MPH, way too much for me. I’ve got a 21’ Commander jet. I sucked a valve last fall :( , trashed the head. I’m finally getting around to fixing it, (tax refund) :) . So I’m spending about $3,000 on heads, cam and intake. Hope to get another 7 to 10 MPH :cool: . So, what would you pay for another 10 MPH? At that price...I calculate I can get up to about 4 mph. :D

Kim Hanson
03-26-2003, 10:48 PM
$5'200 dollars and I'am sure of it, that I will kick your ass with only 325 at the prop boys, with "JETS" do you want loud or "FAST". Its your choice though where you spend your money, I would go for the "KICK-ASS MP3-Player and then it will "THUMP" ,since you ain't going to go fast. Don't I love to start"SHIT"..........( . )( . ).......... :D

Mandelon
03-26-2003, 10:56 PM
Kim.......When I want a Bass Boat I'll let you know!! wink Maybe when I am old and can't hear that whiiiiiiine anymore..... eek!

Kim Hanson
03-26-2003, 11:04 PM
Just turn down the "Tone", you should be fine....( . )( . )....Or' maybe get better speakers......( . )( . )...Can you still hear that washing machine now? :p Upgrade soon! :D

Skaterfast
03-26-2003, 11:21 PM
I spent $1000 two months ago and got 3mph.I think this is a good deal.

Kim Hanson
03-26-2003, 11:21 PM
Next week,I'am getting a blower put on my "HOT-TUB",blow my ass 50 feet in the air and stay there, the bitch is coming down! :D
See you all later, I have to go to sleep and leave you guy's alone for awhile, be nice like I am gone and pray for the "SOLDIERS" over there, in that "GOD" forsaken place!

Kim Hanson
03-26-2003, 11:48 PM
riodog:
Kim, I thought I was "cold" sometimes but you got me beat. I at least let um have 2 posts before I kick the shit outta them! Let's see now $3000., well, if you're only going about 25mph then I would hope for $3000. you'd get 10mph, BUT if you're doing about 130 mph, then I don't think $3000. is going to get you "1" mph. Forgive my rudeness but you didn't give us enough info for Kimmy to make an acurate guesstimate!
Riodog
Dah ! maybe we should consult Chet or HBjet on this one! :D When you have this , I don't have to say anything, action speaks for its self http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/1untitled3.JPG

Kim Hanson
03-27-2003, 12:06 AM
Remember
When In Doubt-Take Um Out
or
Bite FIRST & Run Like Hell
Here,I was being polite and all and you leave, see you later, I allways "BITE" last! devil

Mandelon
03-27-2003, 06:00 AM
Kim, so you're saying I should go for outboard power, but just play a tape of a cool sounding motor instead???
Do they make BBC Open Exhaust CDs somewhere for you guys to play while the eggbeater is running?? :D

Blown 472
03-27-2003, 07:32 AM
Kim Hanson:
Remember
When In Doubt-Take Um Out
or
Bite FIRST & Run Like Hell
Here,I was being polite and all and you leave, see you later, I allways "BITE" last! devil And just how long did your eggbeater run last year?? some parts issues?? :D :p

Stoked
03-27-2003, 07:47 AM
Secondchance:
I have a HP500 in a 224 Stoker, plan on adding a Whipple post warranty, about 7K for 10-15mph. If I had more time I could easily justify the cost. I love my kinds in club sports but it sure puts a wrench in river time.

Rubths
03-27-2003, 09:04 AM
Well when I bought my boat the top speed was 47 up river with a simi stock 454, I spent $5000 and built a new motor and clocked 64 up river with a GPS and that wasnt fast enough for me so this morning I dropped the boat off at Tom Papp Racing to have him work magic on my pump for around $800. I will let you know when its done home much more speed I get with an $800 investment on the pump.

gnarley
03-27-2003, 10:55 AM
Secondchance, just remember what BOAT stands for, "Break Out Another Thousand"

LaveyJet
03-27-2003, 12:35 PM
Boy, I guess I jumped into this one. I wasn't really on the quest for speed, since I needed new heads I thought I'd kick things up a bit. I got some better flowing heads, manifold and cam. (just what I need when gas is going up to 3 bucks a gallon:))It cost maybe an additional $800 - $1000 over what I would have spent anyway. The cam isn't too radical, should idle ok, if it doesn't sound good, I'll take Kim's advice and turn up the tunes:)

River Ric
03-27-2003, 01:26 PM
Hey seconchance, I just threw you 5 stars. I thought it was a great questions. Don't let these guys bully you around. Their bark is worse then their bite. Welcome aboard. :D

Thunderbutt
03-27-2003, 01:47 PM
Kim Hanson:
riodog:
Kim, I thought I was "cold" sometimes but you got me beat. I at least let um have 2 posts before I kick the shit outta them! Let's see now $3000., well, if you're only going about 25mph then I would hope for $3000. you'd get 10mph, BUT if you're doing about 130 mph, then I don't think $3000. is going to get you "1" mph. Forgive my rudeness but you didn't give us enough info for Kimmy to make an acurate guesstimate!
Riodog
Dah ! maybe we should consult Chet or HBjet on this one! :D When you have this , I don't have to say anything, action speaks for its self http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/1untitled3.JPG The motor is bigger than the boat. If you put my motor in that chicken shit little boat it would sink. How many people can you get in that tube-2? ***boat wasn't made for eggbeaters.

SCUBA STEVE
03-27-2003, 02:14 PM
secondchance:
Being new to the forum, I don’t know if this has been brought up before or not, so I’ll throw it out anyway. I saw the Fountain add claiming a cost of $2,674 per MPH, way too much for me. I’ve got a 21’ Commander jet. I sucked a valve last fall :( , trashed the head. I’m finally getting around to fixing it, (tax refund) :) . So I’m spending about $3,000 on heads, cam and intake. Hope to get another 7 to 10 MPH :cool: . So, what would you pay for another 10 MPH? I asked gs marine how to get more speed they said I have to do the same exact thing, but that I was looking at $3500, for about a 5mph gain??? I'll probably do it once my warranty runs out. shhh dont tell my wife though.... devil

Hot Shot
03-27-2003, 02:36 PM
starting from scratch a top end engine should cost in the range of $32.50 to $40.00/Hp ... a Top of the Line Drag Racing Engine w/"The BEST" inside that is Built to Last can run $60.00 to $70.00/Hp.

LaveyJet
03-27-2003, 03:58 PM
I asked gs marine how to get more speed they said I have to do the same exact thing, but that I was looking at $3500, for about a 5mph gain??? I'll probably do it once my warranty runs out. shhh dont tell my wife though.... devil [/QB]Yea, I've talked to Greg at GS and been working Ray at Dougans machine. Me and my Buds are doing the wrenching, so saving some beer money:)

Kim Hanson
03-27-2003, 04:07 PM
Thunderbutt:
Kim Hanson:
riodog:
Riodog
Dah ! maybe we should consult Chet or HBjet on this one! :D When you have this , I don't have to say anything, action speaks for its self http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/1untitled3.JPG The motor is bigger than the boat. If you put my motor in that chicken shit little boat it would sink. How many people can you get in that tube-2? ***boat wasn't made for eggbeaters. Its 23'including the engine and seats 4 adults, don't mind me guys I was only screwing around with you guys.....( . )( . )...... :D

SCUBA STEVE
03-27-2003, 04:12 PM
Thats the way to do it. There are few mechanical things I leave to the profesionals. Brakes & anything that has to do w/my boat. It always seems that my quick projects turn into all day & night projects. :mad:

LaveyJet
03-27-2003, 05:10 PM
River Ric:
Hey seconchance, I just threw you 5 stars. I thought it was a great questions. Don't let these guys bully you around. Their bark is worse then their bite. Welcome aboard. :D Thanks, Back at'cha. Hell, in the last 25yrs I've delt with a failed marrage, a bankrupt bussiness and a "partnership" with it IRS :( So this ain't so bad. wink

GlastronGuy
03-27-2003, 05:17 PM
Kim Hanson:
$5'200 dollars and I'am sure of it, that I will suck your ass with only 325 at the prop boys, with "JETS" do you want loud or "FAST". Its your choice though where you spend your money, I would go for the "KICK-ASS MP3-Player and then it will "THUMP" ,since you ain't going to go fast. Don't I love to start"SHIT"..........( . )( . ).......... :D http://texas.clubsi.com/Josh/ubb/bsmeter.gif

GlastronGuy
03-27-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Kim Hanson:
When you have this , I don't have to say anything, action speaks for its self http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/1untitled3.JPG That's cool! I like my margaritas blended.
[ March 27, 2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: GlastronGuy ]

Kim Hanson
03-27-2003, 07:25 PM
GlastronGuy:
Kim Hanson:
$5'200 dollars and I'am sure of it, that I will suck your ass with only 325 at the prop boys, with "JETS" do you want loud or "FAST". Its your choice though where you spend your money, I would go for the "KICK-ASS MP3-Player and then it will "THUMP" ,since you ain't going to go fast. Don't I love to start"SHIT"..........( . )( . ).......... :D http://texas.clubsi.com/Josh/ubb/bsmeter.gif I really don't think you want a piece of me, and when it comes to my boat http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/72header-med.gif

Nstigator74
03-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Oversized bilge pumps and blenders, :rolleyes: What is the world coming to. I'll go back to the v-drive forum now. :p

Boat Racer
03-27-2003, 07:29 PM
At that price, it would get me to the FINAL 4 !!!! wink

Kim Hanson
03-27-2003, 07:45 PM
GlastronGuy
I don't ride in fishing boats! Your name says it all, you own a "JET " right? What is you cruising speed? Mine is around 80mph, that's not "WOT" yet!
As for the " BS " shit,I don't do it! I'am going to " BBSP "you think you can take me with yours...bring it there! I will hand you your ASS~~ hands down!
Or is this alot of "SINGING ".....( . )( . )... :D

GlastronGuy
03-27-2003, 08:02 PM
I must have missed the "Man" meeting where they put out the info that having a fast boat was the barometer for everything. Do you have a copy of the minutes?
http://texas.clubsi.com/Josh/ubb/pecker.jpg

Kim Hanson
03-27-2003, 08:36 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72pecker_copy.jpg

Mandelon
03-27-2003, 08:40 PM
You is one crazy Canadian, Kim. I know you can bring it and not just sing it.....You're just misguided, that's all.. :D :D Those long northern winters maybe.... wink

GlastronGuy
03-27-2003, 08:45 PM
Kim Hanson:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72pecker_copy.jpg LOL

Kim Hanson
03-27-2003, 09:00 PM
Glad you see, it is all in fun! Crazy Canadian, I plead the 5th on that one Mandelon....( . )(. ).... :D

LVjetboy
03-28-2003, 11:34 AM
Kim, I still think your boat's sweet!
About that speaker idea...somehow the visual of your O/B cruising by to the sounds of a Big Block is just plain creepy!
jer