PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a boat?

clownpuncher
06-28-2003, 05:28 PM
OK that's the million $ question. I'm thinking I need to get another boat. I want ONE boat that will be good for....
1 Blythe/Lost Lake, cuz sometimes I only have time to go out for the day (two freakin careers). The new boat MUST be low-river friendly
2 Letting my girl lay out and tan
3 Has at least one cup holder for my beer
4 Havasu, cuz a lot of my boys go there. I have a hard time with my 18 Challenger. Low free board = very sinkable on Havasu
5 One that will seat more than four peeps and a cooler (definately NOT in that order)
6 Power and performance is important. Don't need to run 100MPH, be good speed and able to take more than an 8 inch roller
7 Price? Whatever I can afford at the time, maybe just a tad bit more wink
8 And finally, I need a boat that doesn't make my 7 year old daughter hold her hands over her ears and yells " daddy it's too loud, slow down"
I'm sure there are other requirements, but the two biggees are being Blythe AND Havasu friendly. I'm thinking I'll stick with a worked-up jet and moderate motor, but haven't got a clue on the rest. Any suggestions? Here's my boat now. As always, thanks in advance
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/536Challenger1-med.jpg
[ June 28, 2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: clownpuncher ]

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Speed and comfort!
I just drove a ultra 22 stealth today with a 700HP motor and holy god that is a nice boat. Couldn't see the speedo cause my eyes were watering(no glasses on) but god it was a quick one. Takes the wakes like nobodies business.
[ June 28, 2003, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

clownpuncher
06-28-2003, 05:36 PM
Would that boat be Havasu friendly AND blythe-friendly?

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 05:37 PM
clownpuncher:
Would that boat be Havasu friendly AND blythe-friendly? Blythe hell ya!!! I'm getting it for the exact same reasons as you man. Remember I'm in the same area as you!

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 05:38 PM
oh yeah and it's great for havasu!

clownpuncher
06-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Damn PK, I've never heard of "my room " California lol. Where exactly is that?

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 05:43 PM
clownpuncher:
Damn PK, I've never heard of "my room " California lol. Where exactly is that? where I am right now. It's my room because it has the computers in here. I just sit in here until I go to the river or something. Why do you think I'm on the forums ALL DAY.

TPI
06-28-2003, 06:08 PM
Hey PK,
I have tried several times to reply to your PM. It says your PM is full? That might be the bug you spoke of.
GT

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 06:37 PM
back on the real topic. IN MY OPINION, the best boat for your pick would be the ultra 22 with infomaniacs 660. It fits under the hatch leaving the back of the boat for the girls to lay on. MissPK wants me to go with 660 and I am considering it for the practicality. I'd like to go with the 800HP motor but ouchies on the price. You'll probably be spending less than me on the boat though. I'm going for all out! Powdercoated jet and all! John told me that I was looking at about $50K give or take a few grand depending on the gooies I go with, but that's with no motor and them dropping whatever I roll in. I can't tell you the price you'll be looking at because when john quoted me, atleast from what I heard, he just took his boat(boat on the cover of july 03 issue) and subtracted all the stuff I said I wasn't getting. Actually I think I'm off his boat by about $6K and the huge ass engine that I can't afford :D .

jlnorthrup122
06-28-2003, 08:45 PM
Here you go puncher: :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/610Model_of_a_catamaram_steamboat.jpg

HOSS
06-28-2003, 08:49 PM
I`ve got just the boat for you. MINE. `75 20' Southind! It needs the West Coast again. I bought it out of Fresno. Need an outboard,,,cough.

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 08:52 PM
HOSS:
I`ve got just the boat for you. MINE. `75 20' Southind! It needs the West Coast again. I bought it out of Fresno. Need an outboard,,,cough. I'll take my stealth. I'm calling in on monday and gonna talk cash so I can plan everything now so I know what I'm looking at as far as money goes. I'm probably just gonna wait till the boat show to look at boats. For 2 reasons, 1: I don't have time to go to el cajon and 2: I got wackin the head by a big'ole rock from riping in buggy so now I have a huge cut on the side of my head. That should go away soon.
[ June 28, 2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

mbrown2
06-28-2003, 08:56 PM
I would look at two options...The Ultra Deck 21 boat and the Placecraft 22 deck boat, both Jet drives...Small enough for Blythe, I prefer the tunnel ride over the V and it may help at Havasu, and lots of room for people and storage, and very open boats. Plus both companies know how to set the boats up correctly with Jets....Drive them both and then make up your mind....Good luck..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/107placecraft-med.jpg
http://ultraboats.com/admin/images/124.jpg
[ June 28, 2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 09:06 PM
mbrown2:
I would look at two options...The Ultra Deck 21 boat and the Placecraft 22 deck boat, both Jet drives...Small enough for Blythe, I prefer the tunnel ride over the V and it may help at Havasu, and lots of room for people and storage, and very open boats. Plus both companies know how to set the boats up correctly with Jets....Drive them both and then make up your mind....Good luck..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/107placecraft-med.jpg
http://ultraboats.com/admin/images/124.jpg I was gonna ask a guy who has a green placecraft that he actually bought from John West at Ultra if I could play with it. I drove a 22 stealth today. The owner was almost as insane as me and he wasn't drunk. We actually got some air off a wakeboard boat wake and holy shit what a soft landing. When the boats circled we'd putt putt some of them and floor it through the others. No matter what it was just some jolts. None of that feeling like "Holy shit I'm gonna fly out of this damn thing!" This thing just jolted like hell. I consider jolting better than flying. When I get it look for the guy jumping a boat that looks like this with darker interior, red in place of the orange, and A LOT more black!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/497Ultra_orange_21-med.JPG

clownpuncher
06-28-2003, 09:27 PM
Damn jlnorthrup122. That boat could be the party boat of the century. I could definately let my girls find a tanning spot on there as well as stock about 2 years worth of beer. I'll have to pass though, I don't think I can afford the gas :D

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 09:28 PM
Here's how my paint will be different. It's not nearly as good as the real deal will be but it works for now. Especially on the interior.
Before
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/497Ultra_orange_21-med.JPG
AFTER
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/711myboat.jpg

clownpuncher
06-28-2003, 09:30 PM
mbrown2:
Them some good looking rides, I'll check em out some more. What kind of motor/pump options can I get? Thanks

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 09:33 PM
clownpuncher:
mbrown2:
Them some good looking rides, I'll check em out some more. What kind of motor/pump options can I get? Thanks Placecraft says right on their site. It doesn't really matter what kind of power you get with those things because they just seem to cruise well period. As long as you're not a total speed nut they're great. The one thing about them that freaks me out is how they turn. PERFECTLY FLAT! It's nice for passengers because it's less awkward but for someone sitting on the shore... It just looks weird.

clownpuncher
06-28-2003, 09:35 PM
Hey PK. You gonna have that funny silver thingy sticking out of your rear deck too?

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 09:39 PM
clownpuncher:
Hey PK. You gonna have that funny silver thingy sticking out of your rear deck too? that's an engine you big clown :p . Probably not cause the girls want to lay out and also I don't know that I can afford the big shiny thing. It's another $5K-$7K for that gig.
[ June 28, 2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

mbrown2
06-28-2003, 09:51 PM
clownpuncher:
mbrown2:
Them some good looking rides, I'll check em out some more. What kind of motor/pump options can I get? Thanks I don't know anything about Jets or Jet options, and I have not spoken to either of the builders on engine options, but I am assuming they can offer you stock Merc power or rig an engine you bring.

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 09:53 PM
mbrown2:
clownpuncher:
mbrown2:
Them some good looking rides, I'll check em out some more. What kind of motor/pump options can I get? Thanks I don't know anything about Jets or Jet options, and I have not spoken to either of the builders on engine options, but I am assuming they can offer you stock Merc power or rig an engine you bring. He wanted a jet. I don't think mercury does V8 jet rigged engines do they?

mbrown2
06-28-2003, 09:56 PM
Yeah, they sale inboard engines without drives for Jet, V-Drive, and Direct Drive applications... :)

mbrown2
06-28-2003, 09:58 PM
One other thing, I think Merc Inboard options only goes up to the 496, and a Jet is going to need power than that so it would be better to go after Market power, and that is a whole different thread on which engine to buy but 600+ HP should be a good start.
[ June 28, 2003, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 09:58 PM
mbrown2:
Yeah, they sale inboard engines without drives for Jet, V-Drive, and Direct Drive applications... :) Ya learn something new everyday

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 10:03 PM
mbrown2:
One other thing, I think Merc Inboard options only goes up to the 496, and a Jet is going to need power than that so it would be better to go after Market power, and that is a whole different thread on which engine to buy but 600+ HP should be a good start. Hey brown what do you think my boat would do with infomaniacs 660HP in it?

clownpuncher
06-28-2003, 10:07 PM
I can't find the website for Ultra. I know I've seen it before, I even talk to John? Where it's at?

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 10:08 PM
clownpuncher:
I can't find the website for Ultra. I know I've seen it before, I even talk to John? Where it's at? ultraboats.com

mbrown2
06-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Phat_Kat:
mbrown2:
One other thing, I think Merc Inboard options only goes up to the 496, and a Jet is going to need power than that so it would be better to go after Market power, and that is a whole different thread on which engine to buy but 600+ HP should be a good start. Hey brown what do you think my boat would do with infomaniacs 660HP in it? Are you talking the stealth? or your sleek?

mbrown2
06-28-2003, 10:26 PM
If you are talking the Stealth with a Jet, I got to imagine somewhere above around 80-85...just a guess with a lot of knowledge about the hull or hull with a jet...Make sure you have a diverter at those speeds
Your sleek...I cannot even imagine :)

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 10:30 PM
mbrown2:
Phat_Kat:
mbrown2:
One other thing, I think Merc Inboard options only goes up to the 496, and a Jet is going to need power than that so it would be better to go after Market power, and that is a whole different thread on which engine to buy but 600+ HP should be a good start. Hey brown what do you think my boat would do with infomaniacs 660HP in it? Are you talking the stealth? or your sleek? stealth

jlnorthrup122
06-29-2003, 08:44 AM
Damn jlnorthrup122. That boat could be the party boat of the century. I could definately let my girls find a tanning spot on there as well as stock about 2 years worth of beer. I'll have to pass though, I don't think I can afford the gas
Hey You see that tree they are pullin up? That will work as fuel bro. :D :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/610Model_of_a_catamaram_steamboat.jpg

WetWillie
06-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Phat-Cat,
So your getting two boats? I read on another thread that you were getting a DCB V with the canopys. Business must be goood!! A boat for the river and the BIG lakes??
WW eek!

woodster
06-29-2003, 09:10 AM
mbrown2:
If you are talking the Stealth with a Jet, I got to imagine somewhere above around 80-85...just a guess with a lot of knowledge about the hull or hull with a jet...Make sure you have a diverter at those speeds
Your sleek...I cannot even imagine :) I have a 22ft stealth.. Awesome boat. Cant say enough good things about it. But it takes alot of Hp to break 80mph. Ive been told about 700HP will just get u to 80mph.Ive also been talking with info about one of his motors. Hey Phat Kat how fast is the stealth u rode in ? With 700HP it should do 80mph..My winter project this year is gonna be a motor upgrade as well. Lots of $$$$

Phat_Kat
06-29-2003, 09:19 AM
woodster:
mbrown2:
Your sleek...I cannot even imagine :) I have a 22ft stealth.. Awesome boat. Cant say enough good things about it. But it takes alot of Hp to break 80mph. Ive been told about 700HP will just get u to 80mph.Ive also been talking with info about one of his motors. Hey Phat Kat how fast is the stealth u rode in ? With 700HP it should do 80mph..My winter project this year is gonna be a motor upgrade as well. Lots of $$$$ well I don't wear sun glasses because I look like an idiot so the speedo was hard to see but I do recall seeing that needle really close to the 80 mark with the 2 of us in the boat(the owner and I). Really all I want is to keep up with all the little guys on the river. Most of those kids spend about 4K on a boat and their boats won't break 75. So if I'm doing close to 80 and my boat weighs in at almost twice as much as theirs and I'm still keeping up, that's good enough bragging rights for me.

Phat_Kat
06-29-2003, 12:34 PM
Here's a better view of what I want out of my boat!
BEFORE!!!
http://www.ultraboats.com/instock_images/10.jpg
AFTER!!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/711myboatontrailer.jpg

Phat_Kat
06-29-2003, 12:41 PM
WetWillie:
Phat-Cat,
So your getting two boats? I read on another thread that you were getting a DCB V with the canopys. Business must be goood!! A boat for the river and the BIG lakes??
WW eek! no I just decided to wait and get a mach 26 later in life. I was actually gonna get a DCB 28 then move on to a mach 26 but I think I'm gonna get real practical here and get what I should have. I'm gonna hang on to this boat for a while until I truely feel that I need a bigger boat. That'll be when I finnally get sick of you big bitches knocking water into the boat. And yes business is going good but not nearly that good.

WetWillie
06-29-2003, 01:13 PM
Cool I was starting to think I wasnt working hard enough! Johns boat is awsome!! I would deffinitly go with Info's motor setup! Doesnt Mike Harlen down at Ultra build motors as well?
I have seen a couple of nasty motors he has built.
Keep us posted!
WW :D
[ June 29, 2003, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: WetWillie ]

Phat_Kat
06-29-2003, 01:29 PM
WetWillie:
Cool I was starting to think I wasnt working hard enough! Johns boat is awsome!! I would deffinitly go with Info's motor setup! Doesnt Mike Harlen down at Ultra build motors as well?
I have seen a couple of nasty motors he has built.
Keep us posted!
WW :D I sure will. It's not gonna start for a while till my finances are totally stable for this. I'm just really paranoid about this stuff because I was spoiled rotten till I was 12 and then my folks essentially said screw you. Kinda left a mark on me that probably won't go away. I'm gonna go look at boats at the next boat show because I don't have time to go to el cajon but the boat show is about a 30 minute ride versus the 2 hour drive to el cajon. I'm gonna talk to john so that I know what I'm getting into long before hand. You like my choice for the colors WW?
[ June 29, 2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

woodster
06-29-2003, 09:45 PM
Phat Kat the gel coat on that boat is a huge upgrade. Did John quote u that price with that color scheme? And which one of infos motors are u going with?IM looking at his 550# .. Said it should be close to 700HP.And its a great deal at 11 grand.

Phat_Kat
06-29-2003, 09:53 PM
woodster:
Phat Kat the gel coat on that boat is a huge upgrade. Did John quote u that price with that color scheme? And which one of infos motors are u going with?IM looking at his 550# .. Said it should be close to 700HP.And its a great deal at 11 grand. Yes I was quoted for that scheme. Info is selling me the 660 single carb deal for 15K. I guess the price goes up when you go with a jet. But what's 4 grand when I've got a powdercoat on my jet drive :D :D :D :D :D
[ June 29, 2003, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

future boater
06-29-2003, 10:08 PM
all this talk and no one has mentioned the three litlle words.........ON THE ROCKS.........or wait for a trident!.......btw ultra28 stealth is really pricey!

Phat_Kat
06-29-2003, 10:25 PM
future boater:
all this talk and no one has mentioned the three litlle words.........ON THE ROCKS.........or wait for a trident!.......btw ultra28 stealth is really pricey! I've been talking to froggy a bit and there's nothing that I'm currently interested in. Also is that a misprint because we're all talking 22 stealth here and it's actually well priced. If you're looking at my quote, don't. That's a fully decked out boat. It's worth it hands down. The stealth is a very well priced boat in my opinion although would rather be hearing 45K for the boat but we don't always get what we want in life eh?

clownpuncher
06-29-2003, 10:31 PM
Hey Pk, any idea on what a 22 deck? from Ultra goes for? I'm still thinking I'd like a moderate motor 650ish HP, and nice pump added.

Phat_Kat
06-29-2003, 10:34 PM
clownpuncher:
Hey Pk, any idea on what a 22 deck? from Ultra goes for? I'm still thinking I'd like a moderate motor 650ish HP, and nice pump added. I'm calling john tommorow. Drop me an e-mail so I will remember to ask while I'm talking to him.

Phat_Kat
06-29-2003, 10:38 PM
OH yeah,
The 22 deck won't come out for a while. There's only a 21 but I'll ask about that too. The 22 deck will later be followed by a 22 shadow according to john but seeing as 22 feet is a lot of boat for a jet to be pushing, they're taking A LOT of time to proporly design it. The 22 deck from my understanding is still in that Stage of performance TLC so you may just want to tell john to call you when he's ready to sell them.

future boater
06-29-2003, 10:46 PM
future boater:
.......btw ultra28 stealth is really pricey! you are correct i should of had "ultra28" show possesion as in, ultra28's stealth is kind of pricey. meaning the one pictured there. i didnt see your other thread in just jets. good luck. id still buy otr.

future boater
06-29-2003, 10:49 PM
Phat_Kat:
The 22 deck will later be followed by a 22 shadow according to john but seeing as 22 feet is a lot of boat for a jet to be pushing, they're taking A LOT of time to proporly design it. isnt this why eliminator wont build a 22ft daytona with a jet? there 21's rock but its my understanding they never could get the bugs out of a 22 w/the jet.

Phat_Kat
06-29-2003, 10:49 PM
future boater:
future boater:
.......btw ultra28 stealth is really pricey! you are correct i should of had "ultra28" show possesion as in, ultra28's stealth is kind of pricey. meaning the one pictured there. i didnt see your other thread in just jets. good luck. id still buy otr. That boat pictured in my posts here and in just jets are both a 22 bro. Don't know where you're getting 28. Sure you're not drinking too much?

Phat_Kat
06-29-2003, 10:55 PM
future boater:
Phat_Kat:
The 22 deck will later be followed by a 22 shadow according to john but seeing as 22 feet is a lot of boat for a jet to be pushing, they're taking A LOT of time to proporly design it. isnt this why eliminator wont build a 22ft daytona with a jet? there 21's rock but its my understanding they never could get the bugs out of a 22 w/the jet. Well you see eliminator is trying to build a boat that will work well with all three of the power options while ultra is only paying attention to 2. John said that they were mainly going for the jet and not worrying so much about I/O. At least that's what it sounded like because he kept saying jet jet jet jet jet :p . Right John? :D . But seriously, John said this and I'm gonna have to agree with him on this except for 2 boats. He said, "well if you want a jet we're the ones to talk to because nobody knows jets better than us!" I'll disagree on that on the sleekcraft SST and the Daytona 21. Then again ultra hasn't yet made a competing boat for these classes to you can't really say.

future boater
06-29-2003, 11:05 PM
future boater
.......btw ultra28 stealth is really pricey! you are correct i should of had "ultra28" show possesion as in, ultra28's stealth is kind of pricey. [/qb]That boat pictured in my posts here and in just jets are both a 22 bro. Don't know where you're getting 28. Sure you're not drinking too much? [/QB][/QUOTE]
okay lets try it this the easy way. ultra 28 is john's board name right? so when i had ultra 28 in the possesive form it would mean his boat idea . i am not talking about a 28 footer if you want a jet ultra's the place to go(until trident). the 247 they did with the jet had some respctable numbers but i dont even think john could make a 28 perform with a jet. no i am not drinking i think i paid the bartenders mortgage last night jawdrop !
[ June 30, 2003, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: future boater ]

future boater
06-29-2003, 11:08 PM
can you post a pic of the sleekcraft sst? i'm not sure i know of the boat. would that be the older tunnel they used to prouduce? they quit making them in the early eighties right?

Phat_Kat
06-30-2003, 05:44 AM
future boater:
can you post a pic of the sleekcraft sst? i'm not sure i know of the boat. would that be the older tunnel they used to prouduce? they quit making them in the early eighties right? Here you go! They quit making them in the late 90's. There's a 97 up for sale right now for $30K but it's never been wet. Go ahead and look for me on the colorado river near Aha Quinn.

eliminatedsprinter
06-30-2003, 10:37 AM
The Eliminator 22 is a lot bulkier boat than the 21. I wouldn't expect it to be too great in a jet application.

Phat_Kat
06-30-2003, 11:32 AM
future boater:
future boater
.......btw ultra28 stealth is really pricey! you are correct i should of had "ultra28" show possesion as in, ultra28's stealth is kind of pricey. That boat pictured in my posts here and in just jets are both a 22 bro. Don't know where you're getting 28. Sure you're not drinking too much? [/QB]okay lets try it this the easy way. ultra 28 is john's board name right? so when i had ultra 28 in the possesive form it would mean his boat idea . i am not talking about a 28 footer if you want a jet ultra's the place to go(until trident). the 247 they did with the jet had some respctable numbers but i dont even think john could make a 28 perform with a jet. no i am not drinking i think i paid the bartenders mortgage last night jawdrop ! [/QB][/QUOTE]
actually johns boat isn't that badly priced. It's fairly reasonable considering the 1100 ponies under the hatch and the soft touch leather interior. It also has a powder coated jet. I am getting everything on that boat but the scisor hinges, the soft touch(too hard to clean john says), and the 1100 HP motor. I am getting all the other perks though icluding a similar paint scheme but mine will be red instead of orange.

Goodtime$
07-01-2003, 01:40 PM
we have a house in Hidden Valley, up river from water wheel for over 15 years now, if you want a performance boat for blythe, and havasu, i would have to go with the Placecraft IO, i have been in a blown tom papp 21 deck, a 22 place jet and the IO, i have to say the IO is the best of them all for both areas, i know the water well enough and i can get from the bridge to aha quin no worries,one guy has one down the street, no problems at all. i just sold my 21 eliminator jet to get a Vdrive wakeboat, so good luck with your choice, mine was the wakeboat, than the place....cruise up for some beers anytime

Goodtime$
07-01-2003, 01:43 PM
a 22 jet would need a lot of power and that doesnt come cheap, just a thought, my elim was a strong 454 place diverter everything, with the stereo, wake tower and some people in the bow it was not so safe for river cruising, ****in jet skiiers
any boat will be awesome, but i know a 22 would need a big motor, the placecraft is a lot heavier than the 22 stealth or the tom papp deck
good luck

1tricky1
07-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Hey Phat, that SST is....PHAT! I have one in the squirt boat format...I think I still have a pic in my profile of it...(check it out future boater) It's getting painted right now, gotta update that turd brown. It has a pretty decent ride but I don't think it's quite what Clown is looking for...not enough seating. I suggest a tunnel though, whatever you get. Is there a pic of that 97 SST your referring to?