PDA

View Full Version : Warning For Folks With Kids Who Baby Sit!!!

DansBlown73Nordic
06-17-2003, 05:27 PM
This is a very sad story.....We were away over the weekend. We returned to find out that a mile up the river from us a stream feeding the river over flowed. It washed out a culver pipe that caused a huge section of the road to cave in.
A car with three adults ages 26M 19M 17F Babysitter and two kids age 1 1/2 and 6 years old. All drowned from being washed into the river from this raging stream.
The babysitter was given strict instructions not to take these kids anyplace. She didn't listen and two kids are dead.
I just thought if you have kids who baby sit have them read this. They found the last two bodys today.

Ziggy
06-17-2003, 05:29 PM
Can't trust anybody these days..Very sad indeed. frown

JetBoatRich
06-17-2003, 06:34 PM
What a terrible lesson to learn, even the baby sitters need to listen :( those who have kids that baby sit need to point the dangers out

mtndewdrops
06-17-2003, 06:56 PM
That is so sad. :( One bad decision can really have a dramatic impact on someone's life. Imagine, they could have been on their way to a park for the kids to play or something as innocent as that. That is such a FREAK accident.

rrrr
06-17-2003, 07:08 PM
One of my good friends attended the funeral of a three year old boy today. There was a party going on, kids and adults all over the place, but somehow the little guy ended up in the pool and drowned.... Really a sad thing. Gotta watch the kids all the time.
It's even more dangerous when you are boating...Don't let down your guard for a second. Remember, the river or lake isn't like a swimming pool.... if someone disappears under the water, you can't see them and they are gone. I REQUIRE my guests to wear a PFD if they jump in the lake out of my boat. Yeah, I'm an old focker, but I'm alive.
Two summers ago I drove up to the ramp at my lake, and suddenly there were screams and shouts from the marina a few yards away. I put on a PFD and swam over to the slip. A 17 year old kid had disappeared under the surface. I dove a few times, the water was 12 feet deep and I don't have the skills to get down that far. After a few minutes I gave up, the kid's friends were all devastated... the body was recovered a few hours later.
What you love can turn on you and become your worst nightmare. Remember that.
[ June 17, 2003, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: rrrr ]

Mohavekid
06-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Very sad indeed.
Water is a dangerous thing. Just last Monday, my neighbor's 17 year old daughter on her first day of summer vacation drown in a river up here.
The water is very high from the late snow we had this year. She slipped off the log she was standing on and was gone. Her boyfriend dove in to save her but could not find her.
They found the body the next day a mile or so down river. It was horible to watch my neighbor/friend suffer through this. She was a bright and beautiful young girl with her whole life ahead of her.
Water is dangerous, cold water moving in a river is even more so. Even if you think you know how to swim.
Be careful and watch your kids like their life depends on it.

Napanutt
06-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Mohavekid:
Very sad indeed.
Water is a dangerous thing. Just last Monday, my neighbor's 17 year old daughter on her first day of summer vacation drown in a river up here.
The water is very high from the late snow we had this year. She slipped off the log she was standing on and was gone. Her boyfriend dove in to save her but could not find her.
Yea...I think I read that story...something about mom telling daughter not to go to that certain spot or something like that...that's f'd/up,most people take it for granted to be able to swim...but you never know...
They found the body the next day a mile or so down river. It was horible to watch my neighbor/friend suffer through this. She was a bright and beautiful young girl with her whole life ahead of her.
Water is dangerous, cold water moving in a river is even more so. Even if you think you know how to swim.
Be careful and watch your kids like their life depends on it. Try this again...
I think I read that story,something about mom telling daughter not to go to certain spot,she does anyways and that happens...that's pretty f'd/up...people (including myself) take it for granted that they can swim...but you never know...
[ June 17, 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Napanutt ]

DansBlown73Nordic
06-18-2003, 12:54 AM
I forgot to mention they were riding in a car. The car landed in the creek. The water was so swift it blew all the windows out of the car.

91nordic29
06-18-2003, 06:59 AM
here in arizona, every monsoon we have those idiot people who just HAVE to cross a wash. the news is peppered with rescue stories. if they do survive, they end up having to pay all the associated costs (fire, rescue, helio dealios). some people just dont think anything bad will happen to them.

Blown 472
06-18-2003, 07:02 AM
I keep an eye on my kid all the time, some say I am way over protective but I dont think so.
Ditto on the damn cold moving water, ran into that last week swimming out to save my kids boat, the water was shocking cold and freaked me out.

Floatin'
06-18-2003, 07:02 AM
Last summer a family very close to us 3 year old son died. It was a Lake Tahoe, all the kids were playing on the shore and he had on his life vest. The 12year old daughter was watching him and the parents were 100 feet away. The kids started picking some berries and lost their attention on the little boy. He had taken off his pfd to pick berries and somehow ended up in the water. He was face down in about 3-4 feet deep water, The dad performed cpr all the way to the hospital about a 30 min. drive away but the boy didn't make it. The dad is a school principal and the mom is a stay at home mom, very responsible people, this has ruined their lives. I don't have any kids of my own but I feel sick just thinking about possibly losing a kid.
PLEASE BE CAREFUL

DansBlown73Nordic
06-18-2003, 04:10 PM
Things can happen so fast... Im sure these kids had know idea of the danger that night. I found out tonight they pulled two of them out of the river at the end of are street....Very sad story.
Another kid close by also was swimming with some friends in a pond and drowned over the weekend.