PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know?

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-01-2003, 05:33 PM
We mr. flyin vee and I go to Havasu quite a bit but I have never been on the 4th of july. Can anyone tell me if it is safe enough to take a 7 and 9 year old on the water or not? I know it's never really safe there on the big weekends just wondering and would like anyones input please.
Thank you Overly protective mother of two. :)

SCUBA STEVE
07-01-2003, 06:34 PM
It depends where you go? there are a lot of coves where you can go and hang with your family.
But I would keep their eyes closed in certain parts of havasu. Unless they are used to seeing thongs, pasties and drunkeness. :confused:
Thats just my opinion though.
I see a lot of kids around on the big weekends. Me being a parent will try to be respectful when I see them. But when I am around adults the savage comes out, the cussing , drinking & loud music begins. :D :D

Mandelon
07-01-2003, 07:06 PM
The channel is OK in the morning...but once the beer sets in the hooters start poppin out. Me wifey no likey!! My kids just think the people are dopey, and they don't really even notice. My 8 year old girl and I discussed this once after some hag flashed her cans.
Look for some other family types to hook up with. More than likely there will be someone from the boards out there anyway. Good Luck!
Remember, launch early.....
:D

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Thank you both so very much. We will launch early and pull out early. Thanks again much appreciated. wink

01RENEGADE
07-01-2003, 07:33 PM
We try to stay away from the big weekends we usually try to go before or after a major holiday.But if you do go I think it is wise to get on early have fun. :D

nhbuoy
07-01-2003, 07:56 PM
Does anyone else (besides me) here find this thread/question DISTURBINGLY SAD & SCARY!!!???!!!???...For MRSFLYINVEE, or ANY parent asking if it is "SAFE" to take there kids out for a day of boating???!!!???!!!...And not "SAFE" because of the obvious over-crowding & ya-hoos, BUT safe from the sights & sounds of the people they will encounter along the way???!!!???...Are drunks, perverts, flashers, foul-mouthed punks, & other dikheads just an accepted part of the "scene"???...I'm no angel, but is it really like that out there???...Enlighten me...

Mandelon
07-01-2003, 08:31 PM
There are many places, river sections and other lakes that are fine. It is just Havasu really that is known as a place that has a lot of flashing, G-strings, and drunken behaviour on the big weekends. Even then the channel, a couple of coves and the sandbar are only a tiny part of the lake. That's where the crazy shit happens. And even then only in the afternoons after the alcohol sets in. Folks go there looking to cut loose and get wild.
If you don't go looking for that stuff you won't be subjected to it.
Of course there are plenty of times we go looking for it and can't find it too, frown

pebo
07-01-2003, 08:46 PM
Flyin V, Yes Havasu can be safe on Holiday weekends but, I would stay away from some parts of the lake. With small kids I would recomend launching up by Havasu Springs and hang out in that section of lake. Nice for little kids to go over to Eagle Nests and float. Been going to Havasu since 75' and it sure has changed, some good some not. We stay at the Islander. Safe place, gated,patroled and private launch. My kids are older now (youngest 19) and they like all the maddnest.
I can take it or leave it..

Waldo
07-02-2003, 07:33 AM
Just be real careful this weekend! Too many unfortunate things happen to good people. The more poeple, the better the odds of something happening.
We like to go to Mohave Valley on holiday weekends and go up river. It is like a regular weekend and the water is great for wakeboarding.

91nordic29
07-02-2003, 07:49 AM
nhbuoy:
Does anyone else (besides me) here find this thread/question DISTURBINGLY SAD & SCARY!!!???!!!???...For MRSFLYINVEE, or ANY parent asking if it is "SAFE" to take there kids out for a day of boating???!!!???!!!...And not "SAFE" because of the obvious over-crowding & ya-hoos, BUT safe from the sights & sounds of the people they will encounter along the way???!!!???...Are drunks, perverts, flashers, foul-mouthed punks, & other dikheads just an accepted part of the "scene"???...I'm no angel, but is it really like that out there???...Enlighten me... take a look for yourself:
spring break/holidays at havazoo (http://community.webshots.com/album/67744879UIDFkU)

gmocnik
07-02-2003, 08:06 AM
even though the "stupid factor" goes way up on holiday weekends, there are still plenty of places to go with the kids...stay away from the channel and copper canyon, mainly to avoid the crowds...(i think the channel is the worst for stupid behavior...i tried not laughing when my daughter asked "daddy, why are those two girls humping?")
steamboat was no big deal on memorial, a little crowded and a some wild behavior...just be smart and don't anchor next to the pontoon boat with 15 fraternity brothers.....
many great coves on cali side above sandpoint marina and across from black meadows...
up river, past the sandbar, many little beaches to hang out on.....
we pretty much say no to any wakeboarding or tubing unless it is very early morning stuff...just too many inexperienced idiots....
just be smart and be extra defensive on the water.....oh yeah...have fun
gm

nhbuoy
07-02-2003, 08:25 AM
JEEZ...I wasn't TRYING to sound like an alarmist!!!...You guys made it sound like the whole place is/was a ZOO...(Hmmm...HavaZOO???...lol)...I just thought it was "funny" having someone actually ask if it was SAFE to be out there...BTW...Nice pics NORDIC...I wasn't ragging on your spot BTW...I've always wanted to vaca out there to see the place...LATAPOTATAS>>>>>>>>>>>

Ziggy
07-02-2003, 10:32 AM
Mrs.FlyingV,
We have two kids, one old enough to do his own thing the other is nearly 10(daughter). We;ll be out this weekend too, finding our own patch of blue water to enjoy for the day. Generally speaking, as Mandy said, there is crazy stuff going on but isolated mainly to a few areas, stay clear of them and you should be just fine.
Another tip I got was that the 4th is usually less crazy than Memorial or Labor day since it really is more of a family holiday.
MAybe we'll see you out there, we're in a purple Commander named Grape Escape.
Have fun and be aware.

Ziggy
07-02-2003, 10:50 AM
91nordic29:
nhbuoy:
Does anyone else (besides me) here find this thread/question DISTURBINGLY SAD & SCARY!!!???!!!???...For MRSFLYINVEE, or ANY parent asking if it is "SAFE" to take there kids out for a day of boating???!!!???!!!...And not "SAFE" because of the obvious over-crowding & ya-hoos, BUT safe from the sights & sounds of the people they will encounter along the way???!!!???...Are drunks, perverts, flashers, foul-mouthed punks, & other dikheads just an accepted part of the "scene"???...I'm no angel, but is it really like that out there???...Enlighten me... take a look for yourself:
spring break/holidays at havazoo (http://community.webshots.com/album/67744879UIDFkU) Hey 91nordic29,
Thats a deceptive link...#3 on slideshow came from my camera...October 2001, not a holiday. But the general idea is correct--lots of near nakedness. :D

BADBLOWN572
07-02-2003, 11:00 AM
I have been going to Havasu (Havazoo) for the past 20 years and I have seen the idiot population steadily increase. However, you can still get away from the idiots by going down to the Springs or Black Meadow area. As for the question...Is it that bad??? It can be! I recall approx 2 years ago for Memorial Day, we saw a person stabbed and several acts of beastiality. Definitely not a pretty sight! I do think that the cops have cracked down a bit and those acts are not nearly as freequent, but they have happened. I would bring along young kids, but just stay away from all of the idiots.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-02-2003, 11:10 AM
The crowds incease dramatically on the holiday weekends, soemthing to certainly consider. I've got a house there and I do not go on Holiday weekends because I prefer not to deal with all that comes along with a huge holiday weekend crowd, that's just my personal preference. However, that being said, there are certainly plenty of coves around the lake where you can go and have a good time with your kids.

Havasu Cig
07-02-2003, 12:08 PM
What everybody else said....We don't go out on holidays anymore because of the crowds. If you launch early and pull out early, or late you should be ok. There is plenty of places to go that will be fairly quiet, mostlty south of Steamboat.