PDA

View Full Version : Surge brakes

Tom Brown
05-28-2003, 11:31 PM
This has been bandied around a few times but I'd like to ask again...
I would appreciate a recommendation on a surge brake system for a 1400lb boat/motor/trailer. I tow with a sedan and it has plenty of power but my breaking distances stretch way out when the trailer is in tow. The car is rated to tow 2000lbs and it's a very nice driving rig with the exception of the braking distance.
Should I go with hub/rotor combinations or just put rotors over my existing hubs? Does someone make a system for 12 inch wheels (that's what I have now... with 4 bolt hubs. :D )?
This may sound like a joke but I'm actually quite serious. My rig isn't heavy so I don't need much in the way of stopping power but I'd like something that is decent quality with parts available, etc.
-- Tom
[ May 29, 2003, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

TroubIeOnWater
05-28-2003, 11:40 PM
Stop towing your sea doo with a Ford Pinto and you'll see some very extensive gains right away.

NashvilleBound
05-29-2003, 05:37 AM
Tom, I am having a hard time visulizing your boat trailer combo.
You are being very vague. My good friend runs the show over at UFP (Unique Functional Products) They are the ones that make 99% of all the trailer brake/axle setups on the road. He helped me switch from 3200# axles to 5000# and 12" DISC brakes on all four corners....stops on a dime! Smoooth is an understatement.
I'm rambling, but if you need to talk to him, call me and I'll give you his number. 619-980-0426...
I'm going skiing today but I can usually hear the phome ringing in the boat. Just make sure you dont have a blocked number so if I miss it I can call you back.
Jeff
[ May 29, 2003, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: NashvilleBound ]

Chase
05-29-2003, 09:20 AM
Hey Tom, another place you could check out is shoreland'r trailers @ www.shorelandr.com (http://www.shorelandr.com) since they offer many brake/axle combinations as well as individual parts for these trailers.
Currently I am towing with a shorelan'r with disk surge brakes and it works so well.
I have been able to get lots of information by phone and e-mail. They seem to be very helpful

Chase
05-29-2003, 09:48 AM
Hey Tom, I just picked up the Princess Auto Catalogue for a big sale they are having from June 3-22, and there is a special section in there dedicated to trailer parts like axles, brakes etc........

canuck1
05-29-2003, 10:55 AM
Tom I think that your going to have the same problem that I did and that is you do not have enough weight fo surge brakes to work properly I would recomend electric. You could buy a whole axle assembly for less than 500

Tom Brown
05-29-2003, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the comments, gents. Chase, I'm going to see what the Princess Auto sale brings. They spank out some pretty good deals on stuff.
Mike, that's an interesting comment. I hadn't thought of that. I'll give electric brakes a look see.