PDA

View Full Version : Boats in the Ocean?

NOTALENT
08-13-2003, 02:35 PM
Now I know taking a boat in the ocean is bad..But is there a specail way to clean it out this way it would be fine to take it in maybe twice a month???

al cole'holic
08-13-2003, 02:38 PM
..yeah, with the water from the hose they provide you on the launch ramp. :D

BajaMike
08-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Bropb16, I live in Dana Point and I take mine out in the ocean about once a month. West Marine has a cleaner called "Salt Away", with a hose adapter/sprayer. I flush my engine for 15 minutes with Salt Away and then wash down my boat and trailer immediately after running in the ocean. I think that is about the best you can do.
It's also good to hose down the trailer right after launching.
Anyone have any other ideas?
Mike

NOTALENT
08-13-2003, 02:44 PM
thanks for the tips guys..Baja mike have you seen any blemises or spots that have been affected by it yet?

BajaMike
08-13-2003, 02:46 PM
No, but my boat is fairly new.
Mike

Trailer Park Casanova
08-13-2003, 03:50 PM
The newer boats and motors are really set up for salt compaired to even just 20 years ago.
I've never had any salt related problems. I just flush the engine after use, and the trailer after launching, and what ever the owners manual says.
My mercury 250 manual suggested spraying a little WD40 type stuff in the air intake as the engine was shut down.
Even the Mercury Aluminum engines are salt resistant. Some Metalurgist at Mercury a while back had a brainstorm and concocted some low corrison formula for their casting aluminum process.
It works.