PDA

View Full Version : Computer Warranty Question>

HammerDown
10-16-2003, 12:25 PM
After just over one year, my Dell 8200 Demension's 1 year warranty expired 2 weeks ago.
Thinking about an extended limited warranty from Dell (I called them)...they said if I do it by 10:00 PM Eastern Time today they will offer me a 1-2 or 3 year plan.
The cost>
1-year 149.00
2-years 209.00
3-years 279.00
I here its only a matter of time before these things break down. :( My neighbor just spent 170.00 to fix his (other brand).
Your suggestions would be a big help.
Thanks...Ray

Her454
10-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Shoulda bought an HP. :) :)

Riverbums1
10-16-2003, 12:31 PM
Any computer warranty is well worth the cost compared to having one fixed.......just spent 300 to fix son's 3 yr old laptop (motherboard went out)............and we didn't buy the extended warranties..............

HammerDown
10-16-2003, 12:43 PM
Her454:
Shoulda bought an HP. :) :) And where was your input at the time :rolleyes:
Besides, my Brother bought HP...he took it back 2 times so far.

Her454
10-16-2003, 01:12 PM
HammerDown:
Her454:
Shoulda bought an HP. :) :) And where was your input at the time :rolleyes:
Besides, my Brother bought HP...he took it back 2 times so far. OUCH...well hopefully they replaced it..... wink

Cheap Thrills
10-16-2003, 01:45 PM
ASUS P4S533-X ATX Motherboard
ASUS P4S533-X is based on SiS 645DX which Supported 2 DDR DIMM & 2 SDR DIMM, 6 PCI, 1 AGP 4X, 2x Ultra DMA/133, Audio, LAN, USB 2.0.-$93.00
128 meg ram 19.00
56k modem 20.00
Gforce 4 @ 64meg 65.00
processor (CPU) 2ghz 90.00
case with power supply- 51.00
20 gig HD-60.00
$398.00 = new compatable computer at just a little more than the 3 year warranty, could possibly reuse some of the Dell's hardware like ram, hard, drive, video. ect reducing the cost even more ....
just my .02
building and repairing computers is all too easy for me to purchase a warranty.
another point of view is , look at how computers depreciate as technology progresses .. your dell wont be worth $300.00 in 3 years ...
all prices are from CDW I have built several units using CDW no problems good people to do business with..
C.T.

Dr. Eagle
10-16-2003, 01:54 PM
Cheap Thrills:
ASUS P4S533-X ATX Motherboard
ASUS P4S533-X is based on SiS 645DX which Supported 2 DDR DIMM & 2 SDR DIMM, 6 PCI, 1 AGP 4X, 2x Ultra DMA/133, Audio, LAN, USB 2.0.-$93.00
128 meg ram 19.00
56k modem 20.00
Gforce 4 @ 64meg 65.00
processor (CPU) 2ghz 90.00
case with power supply- 51.00
20 gig HD-60.00
$398.00 = new compatable computer at just a little more than the 3 year warranty, could possibly reuse some of the Dell's hardware like ram, hard, drive, video. ect reducing the cost even more ....
just my .02
building and repairing computers is all too easy for me to purchase a warranty.
another point of view is , look at how computers depreciate as technology progresses .. your dell wont be worth $300.00 in 3 years ...
all prices are from CDW I have built several units using CDW no problems good people to do business with..
C.T. Personally I do not buy the warranties for Desktops. I just upgraded my desktop just like you said just to keep up the technology.
But I have bought the warranties on my last 2 laptops and the computer I had before this one was always in the shop. In fact it is in the shop again, which is why I finally gave up on it and got a new laptop.
Brand does not matter much in my opinion, The computer I have had the best luck with so far (knock on wood) is an emachines. Basically I think as far as the extended warranties go...laptop=good...desktop, if you feel comfortable working on the guts=waste of money...if not comfy=good. Just my .02.

HammerDown
10-16-2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback...I belive I'm going with the 2 year warranty as I'm better with a BBC that electronics.

mikev
10-16-2003, 03:03 PM
i have heard that all dell does on there extended warranties is send you parts and walks you through it over the phone (probably with some guy from india that doesnt speak good english) for that hassle i would skip it check out this thread on oso about dell extended warranty dell thread (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=2c8ef99d553c82e8f01e7e5aecd0c2dc&threadid=61587)

bigq
10-16-2003, 03:07 PM
mikev:
i have heard that all dell does on there extended warranties is send you parts and walks you through it over the phone (probably with some guy from india that doesnt speak good english) for that hassle i would skip it check out this thread on oso about dell extended warranty dell thread (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=2c8ef99d553c82e8f01e7e5aecd0c2dc&threadid=61587) LOL, that must be Dells "award winning warranty work".
[ October 16, 2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: bigq ]

HammerDown
10-16-2003, 03:11 PM
mikev:
i have heard that all dell does on there extended warranties is send you parts and walks you through it over the phone (probably with some guy from india that doesnt speak good english) for that hassle i would skip it check out this thread on oso about dell extended warranty dell thread (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=2c8ef99d553c82e8f01e7e5aecd0c2dc&threadid=61587) I'll have to ask the person from Dell about this...thats something I'm not willing to do (work on my own computer when I payed for a warranty)
Oh and I all ready had several very loooong (pissed off) calls made to India...thats BS!

572Daytona
10-16-2003, 04:16 PM
I have 6 systems at home and off the top of my head here is what I've had fail in the past 3 years or so:
1 Hard drive
1 DIMM memory module
2 CD Roms
1 Scanner
1 Power Supply
1 DSL modem
If you are prone to lightning storms that can increase your failures, the power supply, memory, scanner, and modem all were taken out by lightning. Typically I look at component failures as a good excuse to upgrade, i.e. the CD's I replaced with a DVD and a CD Writer

Dr. Eagle
10-16-2003, 04:27 PM
mikev:
i have heard that all dell does on there extended warranties is send you parts and walks you through it over the phone (probably with some guy from india that doesnt speak good english) for that hassle i would skip it check out this thread on oso about dell extended warranty dell thread (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=2c8ef99d553c82e8f01e7e5aecd0c2dc&threadid=61587) Funny you should mention that...come to think of it, I had a Dell Laptop about 5 years ago and the HD crashed. Dell sent me an new one and I had to install it and restore all of the software on the computer. Wasn't much of a full service warranty...

mickeyfinn
10-16-2003, 05:04 PM
No way I would pay for an extended warranty on the desktop. If you are out of the years warranty period then the computer is no longer worth what the cost of the warranty is. If you are in a lightning prone area then buy a good surge protector. Keep the box and receipt. Buy it from a big name store, not a close out store. Most of these come with a connected equipment warranty. I just made a claim on my computer that got hit by lightning and was hooked up to a belkin surge protector. Called in a claim sent them the old surge protector and a copy of the costs for repair, they sent me a new surge protector and a check for the repairs no hassle at all. Best 25.00 bucks I've spent in a while.

HammerDown
10-16-2003, 05:10 PM
Tough decision here...10:00 PM dead line, 55 minute countdown. :rolleyes:

Tom Brown
10-16-2003, 05:16 PM
572Daytona:
...off the top of my head here is what I've had fail in the past 3 years or so...I think I can top that. :D

burbanite
10-16-2003, 05:44 PM
Built my own computers since 1995. Great if that's your bent.
This time I said the hell with it, bought a Toshiba 17" widescreen laptop, TV tuner, Harmon Kardon speakers, bells and whistles up the ying yang! I also bought a three year warranty(not a factory deal). Time to let someone else sort out the problems.
These days it is likely that other than the aesthetic differences most of the components in any computer are the same or very similar. Dell doesn't make computers, neither does HP, Compaq, Toshiba or any of the others. Sager, Alienware and all the others are effectively clones. I believe that the only company that builds it's own these days is ASUS?
This quandary of yours is no different than any insurance, if you don't need it great. If you do make sure you understand the fine print.

BigBoyToys
10-16-2003, 06:50 PM
Hammerdown (and others), here is an option for you. Although I am Dell Certified and the company that I work for is a Dell Premier Service Provider, we typically only do onsite Dell Warranty work for businesses. But, here is another option, is cheaper than an extended warranty, is infinitely renewable, and best of all....we supply the part and come to your home to do the repairs! Check out this service HERE (http://www.doneathome.com)
[ October 16, 2003, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

sorry dog
10-17-2003, 07:05 AM
1 Hard drive
1 DIMM memory module
2 CD Roms
1 Scanner
1 Power Supply
1 DSL modemI think you should let me help you tune your equipment next time I've over so you up your result average.
BTW- Asus is a big OEM supplier but they aren't the only one, but you can pretty much bet your motherboard was made in Taiwan. I used to think real high of Asus, but I've have a few failures in row out of them.
Alright Tom- what's your list?
[ October 17, 2003, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: sorry dog ]

bigq
10-17-2003, 07:23 AM
BigBoyToys:
Hammerdown (and others), here is an option for you. Although I am Dell Certified and the company that I work for is a Dell Premier Service Provider, we typically only do onsite Dell Warranty work for businesses. But, here is another option, is cheaper than an extended warranty, is infinitely renewable, and best of all....we supply the part and come to your home to do the repairs! Check out this service HERE (http://www.doneathome.com) Is this a cheap ass plug? :D
J/K sounds good to me, i wouldnt want to service a home user though. wink

Dr. Eagle
10-17-2003, 07:32 AM
bigq:
HERE (http://www.doneathome.com) Is this a cheap ass plug? :D
J/K sounds good to me, i wouldnt want to service a home user though. wink [/QB]No I think it is a Shameless Plug! Really, looks like a pretty good option.
[ October 17, 2003, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Eagle ]

bigq
10-17-2003, 07:32 AM
burbanite:
These days it is likely that other than the aesthetic differences most of the components in any computer are the same or very similar. Dell doesn't make computers, neither does HP, Compaq, Toshiba or any of the others. Sager, Alienware and all the others are effectively clones. I believe that the only company that builds it's own these days is ASUS?
I don't know why it bothers me, but the word "clones" was used to establish a difference from an original IBM system, since that is the case all other systems are essentially clones, HP, Dell, Compaq, Alienware. I just call them all PC's now.

Dr. Eagle
10-17-2003, 07:36 AM
bigq:
burbanite:
I don't know why it bothers me, but the word "clones" was used to establish a difference from an original IBM system, since that is the case all other systems are essentially clones, HP, Dell, Compaq, Alienware. I just call them all PC's now. Almost all of the PC's made now are Assembled from various vendors parts. Very few proprietary systems anymore, almost everything is open standard. So for the most part all the parts are compatible, cuz parts are parts. That is what makes it (relatively) easy for hacks like me to upgrade my own system.
[ October 17, 2003, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Eagle ]

HammerDown
10-17-2003, 09:29 AM
BigBoyToys...went out to that link. Over $200.00 smakers for 1 year eek!
Update...no I did'nt get the extended warranty from Dell, get this...I was on hold to long for my taste, so I hung up.

Her454
10-17-2003, 09:34 AM
HammerDown:
Update...no I did'nt get the extended warranty from Dell, get this...I was on hold to long for my taste, so I hung up. Just for future reference, "HP" wouldnt have left you on hold...... should you have even had to call... wink wink

BigBoyToys
10-17-2003, 10:03 AM
HammerDown:
Update...no I did'nt get the extended warranty from Dell, get this...I was on hold to long for my taste, so I hung up. Yeah, I hear ya on both subjects. We have a Direct line to Dell and still have long hold times :mad:
As for the other "Option" (and no, it wasn't meant to be a plug), the company I work for was so nice that they offered us employees a 10% discount on the service eek! ROFLMAO!!!! Why would we need the service since we are doing the work and already know how to repair the stuff :confused: Anything for a buck I guess. :rolleyes:

HammerDown
10-17-2003, 10:16 AM
BigBoyToys
As for the other "Option" (and no, it wasn't meant to be a plug), the company I work for was so nice that they offered us employees a 10% discount on the service eek! ROFLMAO!!!! [/QB]Actually (I) never took it as a "plug"...if there price was more competitive with Dell's...I would have signed up.

BigBoyToys
10-17-2003, 10:25 AM
HammerDown:
BigBoyToys
As for the other "Option" (and no, it wasn't meant to be a plug), the company I work for was so nice that they offered us employees a 10% discount on the service eek! ROFLMAO!!!! Actually (I) never took it as a "plug"...if there price was more competitive with Dell's...I would have signed up. [/QB]Actually, our company Headquarters is over there in your area....Frazer, PA. Go over there and negotiate with them for a better deal (they may just do it!). On the other hand, if you had a Dell Premier Business warranty, we would come to your house and fix the PC. We have a NBD fix on Dell Warranty machines. Meaning that we have until the next business day from the time that the call was opened with Dell to get the PC fixed. :D

HammerDown
10-17-2003, 10:35 AM
How about that, Frazer Pa. is about 20 minutes away...I may just try that!

mikev
10-17-2003, 10:38 AM
buy one from circuit city or best buy then you can just take it back to them whem it breaks.

78Eliminator
10-17-2003, 10:46 AM
Her454:
Just for future reference, "HP" wouldnt have left you on hold...... should you have even had to call... wink wink Hmmm, I am starting to take guesses as to where you work..... wink

HammerDown
10-17-2003, 02:10 PM
mikev:
buy one from circuit city or best buy then you can just take it back to them whem it breaks. Thats where my Brother bought his HP...and thats where they replaced it twice with a new ones.
They don't sell Dells.