PDA

View Full Version : 28'Magic Cat, a good boat or not?

rivernutts
02-17-2003, 12:17 AM
How does the magic cat rate compaired to eliminator, Lavey Craft and Howard Boats? Hull quality, Rigging and Customer Service after the Sale?

Skaterfast
02-17-2003, 06:10 AM
It's better looking than the above mentioned boats.

havasulew
02-17-2003, 08:00 AM
Hi rivernutts,
Check your PM.
havasulew

bigq
02-17-2003, 09:31 AM
rivernutts:
How does the magic cat rate compaired to eliminator, Lavey Craft and Howard Boats? Hull quality, Rigging and Customer Service after the Sale? I don't think you can compare it to a Howard, not in the same league, Eliminator maybe :D , of coarse this is a bias opinion since I think Howard boats are probably the best built boats.I know Doghouse owns one and is very happy with it. My friend has the deck version and it is very nice, great looking and seems well built. I think the pricing is going to be hard to beat with the Magic. wink

DogHouse
02-17-2003, 09:57 AM
Who me? wink
Yeah I like the Magic, was the right choice for my needs and budget. Glass/gel work is very good, interior is great, rigging functional but not as neat and tidy as higher $$$ boats, mostly with respect to the wiring. If I had it to do over again and had extra money to spend, I'd still buy the Magic and pay someone else to rig it (or do it myself) because I really love the smooth lines and having a cat with a flat hatch and built-in swimstep. By the way I think the Lavey is the best built boat of those you mentioned because they are making the most use of lightweight balsa coring and vacuum bagging in their layups. Their gelcoat work is beautiful as well.
-brian
ps: You can find some opinions on customer service in the "after the sale" thread, Hot Boats forum...
[ February 17, 2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: DogHouse ]

rivernutts
02-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Hey dogghouse check your pm!

Cole
02-17-2003, 10:47 AM
If lavey has such a light layup,i am not hearing a lot of posts on top end speed...you would think they should be producing some pretty good numbers?????Cole

DogHouse
02-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Rivernutts, back at ya.
Cole, yeah I haven't heard much either. Also haven't seen many at the lake, so maybe there just aren't a lot of them out there yet. Anyone here on the boards have one? Of course there's a lot more to top speed than just weight; hull design and setup are essential too. There's also more to balsa coring and vacuum bagging than just light weight. It makes for a strong layup and promotes good bonding between layers within the structure because resin is drawn through with much better penetration than standard methods. It really is the right way to work with composite materials but is an extra labor step that most companies haven't stepped up to yet.
-Brian

MUDXPRT
02-17-2003, 06:49 PM
Hey I went to boat show yesterday someone was handing out flyers bad mouthing magic boats. Just wondering if anyone else got one of these.

Havasu Hangin'
02-17-2003, 06:54 PM
MUDXPRT:
Hey I went to boat show yesterday someone was handing out flyers bad mouthing magic boats. Just wondering if anyone else got one of these. Yeah..."Junior" was working the show, too...

beach gomer
02-17-2003, 07:13 PM
hay cole
lavey may not have the fastest cat out there but all tell you in 2 to 3 foot chop that boat will out perform the 25 daytona or the howard or the htm or anything comparable in it's class.the set up is one of the best in the industry.

Catmando
02-17-2003, 10:21 PM
Hot Boat ran a test of the Magic 280 and the Conquest 280 in their Jan. 2002 issue. The Magic ran 98.9 with 800HP. The Conquest cat ran 91.2 with 650HP. Only 8MPH more with 150HP more, and the Magic weighed 300 lbs. LESS than the Conquest. Seems to me Magic needs to tweak its bottom a little more.

24RODjr
02-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Catmando:
Hot Boat ran a test of the Magic 280 and the Conquest 280 in their Jan. 2002 issue. The Magic ran 98.9 with 800HP. The Conquest cat ran 91.2 with 650HP. Only 8MPH more with 150HP more, and the Magic weighed 300 lbs. LESS than the Conquest. Seems to me Magic needs to tweak its bottom a little more. What's the price difference there though?
HP aside, same engine in each boat, is the conquest more expensive?
I'm lookin' hard at the Magic for next winter (here comes 28ROD! :D ), but I am also looking at the 29 Force as well. Right now it's a dead heat. Force is obviously more boat for the money, more HP up front, longer boat, external steering std., but...The magic seems like a better boat.
Looks like I'll have to ride in Mike's when "The Force" finally makes an appearance.
-Chris

fear the turtle
02-18-2003, 07:35 AM
Hot Boat ran a test of the Magic 280 and the Conquest 280 in their Jan. 2002 issue. The Magic ran 98.9 with 800HP. The Conquest cat ran 91.2 with 650HP. Only 8MPH more with 150HP more, and the Magic weighed 300 lbs. LESS than the Conquest. Seems to me Magic needs to tweak its bottom a little more.
If it's the article I'm thinking of(shockwave on cover). The Magic actually never reached top speed. Near the end of the article they said they didn't push it all the way because of bad conditions and felt that was plenty for the day. All things even I think Magic would be among the slower cats. But with all that room, when my winning ticket comes in, that would be my first choice for a family cat. I could live without the few extra mph. EDIT - Would have been.....in light of recent events, I don't think so
You sure it wasn't 900hp? That # is just sticking in my head.
[ February 19, 2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: fear the turtle ]

Craig
02-18-2003, 11:08 AM
Hey FTT,
you from Maryland or just a Terps fan?

fear the turtle
02-18-2003, 12:14 PM
I'm from there, kinda all over pg county. And might I add, damn glad I'm not there now, brutal storm. :cool:

Blown Lavey
02-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Rivernutts check your pm

BALLSDEEP
02-18-2003, 01:06 PM
Has anyone heard good, bad etc... with the Advantage 28' cat? I went to the boatshow on Sunday, I have been looking real hard at the Magic, but it seems that there prices are going thru the roof... I think all boats went up about 10 grand from last years boat show. I spoke to the people at Advantage, and they seemed like they were willing to work a bit on there price. I know the Advantage ways a bit more than the Magic, but want to hear more feedback.

Ed Arnold
02-18-2003, 01:42 PM
Just caught the tail end of the Magic test. If it's the test I am thinking of it was 900+hp and it was not run out all the way. Also we ran a ITS box on it and later found it didn't work for that boat. We picked up a few mile an hour without it. We have run our Deckboat at 106 Mph with that set-up without ITS.

Ed Arnold
02-18-2003, 01:51 PM
hey BALLSDEEP, check your PM

BALLSDEEP
02-19-2003, 08:13 PM
Ed:
Check your PM

1ASKYDV
02-20-2003, 06:36 AM
Hey Ballsdeep,
I think Ed just left or the LA boat show, just an FYI if he doesn't get back to you real quick!

moo
02-20-2003, 09:42 AM
I have a few friends here in AZ. that have purchases Magic Cats and Deckboats. Everyone I know (4-5) love the boat. They were led to the company by the great write ups and the awards they recieved for the boats this last year in Power and Hot Boat magazines. I have had 4 Sleeks in 9 years and have been real happy with the people there and the boats! Good luck with yours.