PDA

View Full Version : I've seen something tonight that defies description

rrrr
04-05-2003, 11:21 PM
We had a weather event tonight. In the spring, cold air moving from the Northwest collides with warm, moist air streaming up from the Gulf of Mexico. This is what produces our springtime tornados.
There was a fairly robust set of thunderstorms tonight, and at my house we experienced a little hail around 1/2" in diameter.
My wife is a pet sitter, she goes to people's houses when they are out of town to feed dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, rabbits... you get the idea.
Because of the weather I told her I would drive her around tonight. After the passage of the storms we went to do the rounds, and while driving found a couple of major streets blocked off in Plano.
We went around the police roadblocks, and to our amazement found an area that had received over 14 inches of hail. What was really spooky is that the area was only around 4000 feet long and 800 feet wide. I checked the area on a map when we got home.
I'm not making this up. There was a place that had 12 inches of hail on the east side of a six lane street, and the other side was completely clear. I have never seen anything like it.
There was nothing else in the area around this that had any hail standing on the ground at all. The ambient temperature at the time was 63 degrees.
Wow! Once again the forces of nature humble me.

Dog
04-06-2003, 02:39 AM
That storm is coming over me as I type! The hail is supposed to have calmed down by now. I have been watching the weather most of the night and you guys down there had some wild hail. They showed some windshields on the local news here and reports of baseball sized hail.
We have the storm from down there and 2 more combine and that is what we are getting right now. I will see what happens. Never know what the weather will be one minute from the next around here.

DansBlown73Nordic
04-06-2003, 04:31 AM
I have seen it rain on one side of the street and the sun be out on the other side... eek!

Unchained
04-06-2003, 05:08 AM
We had an ice storm here in Mi.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220icestorm-med.jpg

wsuwrhr
04-06-2003, 06:51 AM
I have never had that problem in California. Move,
haha. Mother nature is crazy isn't she?
Brian

DansBlown73Nordic
04-06-2003, 07:10 AM
They are saying up to 8 i.n. of Snow tonight...... burningm

Wet Dream
04-06-2003, 07:49 AM
wsuwrhr:
Brian Move to California again??? What a joke. yuk But mother nature isn't as crazy as the politicians out there.

Dog
04-06-2003, 11:26 AM
No thank you. You can keep Kalifornia. wink

beyondhelpin
04-06-2003, 11:43 AM
I got a call from work this morning. They wanted me to go down to Dallas this morning because of the hail damage to airplanes yesterday. Must have been a pretty good storm.

beyondhelpin
04-06-2003, 11:49 AM
Could you imagine what the boys on the left coast would have done in a storm like that. When I lived in San Diego we had a pretty good storm (not unlike the storms the rest of the country sees numerous time a year) Power out across the city. General panic had sorta sent in. We were listening to the radio to all the people calling in half out of breath. We were getting a pretty good laugh! Someone called in who used to live in Florida and told everyone they need to get a grip!!!!! Hilarious!!!! smile_sp :D :D :D

NorCal Gameshow
04-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Wet Dream:
wsuwrhr:
Brian Move to California again??? What a joke. yuk But mother nature isn't as crazy as the politicians out there. are the politicians crazy or the people who vote them in ? the latest is one who wants to outlaw dove hunting. i'm not a hunter, but aren't there bigger problems out there? :mad:

JetBoatRich
04-06-2003, 08:14 PM
We had cold weather today, see the long sleeve shirts:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/78path_to_boat-med.jpg