PDA

View Full Version : what happened to hot boat

maddago
10-20-2002, 09:22 AM
does anyunoe care for the new nov/dec issue?
hot boat is becoming just like easyrider magazine.what happened to real rides&real women?i'm curious how many of you are seriously considering a 54ft hallett?
readers rides is the only thing worthwhile in the rag anymore.
p.s. H D they should have put your better half in the rag! nice babe, nice boat!

Jordy
10-20-2002, 11:37 AM
Hey, I happen to be seriously considering that 54' Hallett. I just wonder if they take personal checks... :D
Jordy :D

Tahiti Owner
10-20-2002, 11:42 AM
you mean you actually got the new issue? i usually dont get mine until the next month is almost here! :confused:

HighRoller
10-20-2002, 11:42 AM
Hmm,it seems to me someone on these boards has been saying this,what was his name...it was...oh that's right.ME!I'm still scratching my head from last month's issue.They fawn all over a commander cat with the speedmaster and a trans,and casually mention that it only costs 144K.Meanwhile,a 22ft open bow jetboat that runs 103mph for I'm sure less than half the money barely gets mentioned.To me THAT is a real ***boat.A boat that is practical,comfortable,actually gets on a plane in less than 10 seconds and still beats half of the big cats in top speed!!***boat has lost all touch with reality in my opinion.The 54 Hallet,40ft Skater,all the ex offshore race boats that are now poker run rigs,those are ***boat's idea of a practical boat.Nevermind that they cost more than a house and 99% of the readers will never buy one.But what the hell do I know?

JetBoatRich
10-20-2002, 12:00 PM
jordanpaulk:
Hey, I happen to be seriously considering that 54' Hallett. I just wonder if they take personal checks... :D
Jordy :D My bank sent me a couple of boxes of checks, must mean I have lots of money and can just write a check to. Will Hallet give us a break if buy at the same time?

BlownCole
10-20-2002, 12:19 PM
HighRoller:
Hmm,it seems to me someone on these boards has been saying this,what was his name...it was...oh that's right.ME!I'm still scratching my head from last month's issue.They fawn all over a commander cat with the speedmaster and a trans,and casually mention that it only costs 144K.Meanwhile,a 22ft open bow jetboat that runs 103mph for I'm sure less than half the money barely gets mentioned.To me THAT is a real ***boat.A boat that is practical,comfortable,actually gets on a plane in less than 10 seconds and still beats half of the big cats in top speed!!***boat has lost all touch with reality in my opinion.The 54 Hallet,40ft Skater,all the ex offshore race boats that are now poker run rigs,those are ***boat's idea of a practical boat.Nevermind that they cost more than a house and 99% of the readers will never buy one.But what the hell do I know?I agree with you on this HR, if I wanted to look at yachts and ex race boats I would be buying a different magazine.

DAB
10-20-2002, 12:24 PM
I agree 100%! The last few months have been particularly bad....and just think, I re-newed my subscription for another 3 years. What the hell was I thinking??? I think I'm still waiting for the real editorial regarding the two builders Kevin Spaise was supposed to grill 6 months ago..not real pleased.
DAB

DansBlown73Nordic
10-20-2002, 01:59 PM
I also thought it Sucked. :mad: I just renewed my subscription. If I was looking for babes Id buy Playboy. They have pictures of a few V-Drives but the girls are blocking most of the boats they do show. :rolleyes:
WAKE UP HOT-BOAT!!!!

dossangers
10-20-2002, 02:15 PM
I thought the name was ***boat not hot yacht! theres already another mag for that stuff powerboat mag?

Infomaniac
10-20-2002, 02:53 PM
I have been waiting for it. I hear one of our local Okies made the swimsuit deal.
This subject pops up from time to time.
You guys know those big dollar big boat MFG's are the ones buying the ads.
Hot Boat of the month is always one of us. It is not difficult to do. Get a professional photographer to shoot your ride. All they require are transparency negatives for Hot Boat of The Month. A few babes does not hurt. Per Brett Bayne.

DickDanger
10-20-2002, 02:58 PM
People, get ready...heres my .02.
First of all, Hot Boat needs to quit with the testing of boats that none of us can afford. Didja notice that they ALWAYS take a base boat, and upgrade the shit out of it? I know that it is probably cool to test boats with all of the latest gadgets and gizmos on it, but not everyone will do that, nor can they afford it. MOST of us will get the base with a FEW upgrades, not an assload.
Hot Boat, get back to basics...more vintage hot boats, more jets, more v drives, etc.
Again, quit with the "this boat has 16 cup holders" business, and tell it like it is. Yes, I know who pays part of the bill for the publication of "Hot Boat", but dont be ascared to tell the truth.
Enough of my ranting....-DD Out

Sangster
10-20-2002, 03:02 PM
We were Really happy when Kevin spaise Called regarding our boat being in Hot Boat Cove...Erik Anderson clicked a few pics at CFW one day and the rest was all history..Check it out..... :D :D

HighRoller
10-20-2002, 03:11 PM
DD hit on another gripe I have with ***boat.I think it's good they tested multiple boats of the same type but did all of us a disservice by not making sure they were all powered similarly.How can I tell which boat handles better and is faster when they all have different motor/drive setups!!I think a lot of the manufacturers are trying to hide behind big blower motors.Any boat can run 100mph with a Teague 800,but how many can do it on normally aspirated power?Next time around let's see ten cats all with HP500's and then we can see who's really got the fastest rig.

playdeep
10-20-2002, 06:11 PM
High Roller,Great Idea..10 cats hp500s,see who really builds the fastest boat with equal power.Problem is the builders dont wanna lose face...so now you have to deal with light weight lay ups,re-calibrated ecm modules,raised x-dimensions etc.Most builders (i.e. looking to cut a big number)do a lot of trick stuff to a boat about to be tested.
[ October 20, 2002, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: playdeep ]

stucknohio
10-20-2002, 07:18 PM
How bout a little of both so you can check out something reasonable and a little lottery dreaming too.

HighRoller
10-20-2002, 07:56 PM
I think Force put egg on the face of the other builders with how little their boat cost.Did you see all the options that thing came with for 75 grand??I bet the other boat builders are fielding a lot of question as far as where the extra 20-30K goes!!

Froggystyle
10-20-2002, 08:03 PM
HighRoller:
I think Force put egg on the face of the other builders with how little their boat cost.Did you see all the options that thing came with for 75 grand??I bet the other boat builders are fielding a lot of question as far as where the extra 20-30K goes!!To a certain degree you wonder. Then you get in one and you don't wonder any more.

GlastronGuy
10-20-2002, 08:23 PM
There has been talk of someone else publishing a magazine to fill the niche that Hot Boat has left behind. I forget who was heading it up but maybe they'll chime in here.

HighRoller
10-20-2002, 08:41 PM
Yeah,that was me but I haven't had any offers for help except Disco Charger offering to write a monthly column on the virtues of DuctTape!!I think something definitely needs to happen because ***boat is so driven by ad dollars they can't afford to say anything bad about any boat for fear of losing revenue!I personally did not see more than one instance of them saying anything negative about any of the cats tested.You can't tell me that they are all that flawless!!!

Jordy
10-20-2002, 09:12 PM
DickDanger:
Again, quit with the "this boat has 16 cup holders" business, and tell it like it is. -DD OutHey DD, nice avatar, still dig it.
As far as the 16 cup holders, I don't know about you, but I have a no open containers rule in my boat as it doesn't cost $195,000 and tends to get up above open container speed before I am across the lake. I guess I am just trying to save time wiping off the barley pop stains on the headers. Besides, my boat seats 4 people and I really dont think I need 4 cup holders a person. :D
Jordy out. :D

playdeep
10-20-2002, 10:00 PM
Here is one for you...
A couple of years ago,I went into a friends shop in havasu to pick up my boat after being serviced.
I notice a certain 25ft v-bottom that had appeared in the previous months HOT BOAT as a featured boat.
This particular boat was the very first 25 v-bottom that this mfg.had built"motored up"(blown540).
The article said that the boat ran 84mph with some left.
I asked my friend who happened to have built the motor how stable the ride was at 84,since at the time I owned a 25 v bottom that ran 80 with a 502efi...
He explained to me that the boat was in the shop having a set of 280-s offshore k-tabs installed because the boat chine walked so bad that it bent the bennett tabs.
He told me that the 84mph was a just a guess that sounded good...because in reality the thing got really evil at about 75
Kinda funny how that particular bit of info was omited from the article...

Jordy
10-20-2002, 10:16 PM
I always look at the mfg. claimed speed v. the speed that was actually obtained during the tests. You have to give a couple mph for conditions, but have to wonder what happens when the mfg. is claiming 90 and the boat turns 75. Hmmm. Jet boat owner perhaps. :D (Disclaimer: I own a jet and I also own GPS so I know that my boat won't run 100 mph, but I do know what it will do.) You figure the mfg. would try and at least guess within 5mph or so...
Jordy :D

NEW 2 RIVER
10-20-2002, 10:17 PM
A magazine that focuses on entry level boats and slightly more, along with customized classics? wink
This concept came to mind along time ago for me.And in march 2003 it will become reality.

V-Driver
10-20-2002, 10:18 PM
What you all said!! I have been a subscriber for 4-5 years and just renewed for 3 and am thinking I could have spent that money better. The accuracy of the reporting is important to me, but in reality I will never put the info to good use. Even a low dollar boat in HBs opinion, 40k or so, is way out of my league. Rigging my own boat is a matter of liking to wrench AND not being bucks up enough to buy the level of boat I want. I don’t mind reading about high buck boats, but what I’m really into is tech stuff. There is not enough info on the important boats in the mag (HB of the month generally). More reality boats. WAY more V Drives and jets. More restoration stories about guys doing it themselves. Superdave013 I hope you are taking pics of your deal, I would love to see that going together in HB.
The babes are good and the “amateur” contest is workin, but I buy the mag for boats.
Off my rant.
Thanks.
Andrew

Craig
10-21-2002, 03:47 AM
I agree with you guys, but how many v-drive and jetboat companies do you see advertizing. That's why you won't see the articles. Our sunscriptions don't pay dick :( The only thing they do is give the publisher a number to throw out at potential advertizers. It would be great to have a magazine to fill the void. Some friends at work just started one called AZ Outdoorsman. For hunters and campers. The crap they go through to get it out is amazing. The newstands are a basic loss, but you have to be able to tell the potential advertizers you're out there! Maybe someone will step up. Use the parts suppliers as the $$$ guys so you wouldn't have to count on just the big boat builders.
Craig

BK
10-21-2002, 05:00 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Craig:
[QB]I agree with you guys, but how many v-drive and jetboat companies do you see advertizing.
I have to agree with Craig on this one. Looking through my hot boat mags from 98-99 Ultra's add has 7 boats 5 being jets and the biggest boat is 22' (Stealth). Skipping to march 2001 issue (havent renued my subscription since) Ultra's add has 2 boats both props of 24 and 28 foot, things have changed allot in just a couple of years. Definately not my type of reading material anymore.

Backtanner
10-21-2002, 05:58 AM
1. There are plenty of neutral boaters (and subscribers) right here on the boards. Why not pick one to ride along on these runs to determine whether it is an actual test drive or just a 3 page advertisement.
2. Maybe ***boat doesn't know there are still mid 20K boat builders out there.
3. If not, at least I get my T-shirt.
4. No offense to her boyfriend or hubby, but the swimsuit grand prize winner.....you got to be kidding me?!!! :rolleyes:
[ October 21, 2002, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Backtanner ]

XTRM22
10-21-2002, 06:14 AM
There seems like a lot of grumbling and as a known grumbler and trouble maker, I got say I'm still real happy with ***boat, I look forward to my magazine every month, and I go through withdrawls in Dec. waiting for the Jan. issue! I'm never going to guy a 50' Hallet, or even a 19' V-drive, but performance boating is my favorite hobby and ***boat is the only game in town for fresh water Performance boating issues and stories. It would be nice to see a little competion in the peformance boating magazine market place, It is kinda funny when you consider that Flynt started Hustler because he had alot of the same issues with PlayBoy that you guys are grumbling about in ***boat. I keep hearing about other magazines starting up but I don't see em on the news stand. Just my .02 worth, and know I don't work for ***boat or LFP. Finally wasn't that a cool story Kevin Spacey included about Charley's boat getting ripped off.
Chuck

Craig
10-21-2002, 09:02 AM
Alright, who are you and what did you do with Chuck??? Are you trying to turn the whole Mr. Troublemaker job over to Brad? :D
[ October 21, 2002, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]

XTRM22
10-21-2002, 09:03 AM
Craig:
Alright, who are you and what did you do with Chuck??? :D It's really me! What can I say I have so few pleasures in life, and ***boat is one. LOL
NutHug!
Chuck

ULTRA28
10-21-2002, 09:19 AM
BK
Looking through my hot boat mags from 98-99 Ultra's add has 7 boats 5 being jets and the biggest boat is 22' (Stealth). Skipping to march 2001 issue (havent renued my subscription since) Ultra's add has 2 boats both props of 24 and 28 foot, things have changed allot in just a couple of years. Definately not my type of reading material anymore.[/QB]Thanks for pointing that out for me. We still make seven different jet boat models. Our current ad only shows our 27 Shadow and no other models. I will start on having a new add made today. It will be at least three months before it hits Hot Boat pages (because thats how far in advance they require you send the ad).
In all fairness to Hot Boat, they only test what we bring, they usually only give us about a one month notice to a test, so it makes it kind of hard to build a boat for the test that meets a specific guidline.
I agree that it would be nice to test apples to apples, but what apples do you test. Hot Boat has tried to come out with a jet test issue every other year. They came out with one last October, only six boats showed up (two of which were mine), three of the other four were customer boats that the manufacturer called to have them bring out. Two of which were more than two years old.
What I'm getting at is that it's the manufacturer, not Hot Boat that is to blame for the content of the magazine. Take one guess why the builders are going the way they are. If you guessed higher profits in the bigger boats than you are mistaken. Percentages are about the same or less on many of the big boats when you get into dollar spent to dollar made. It's because that is what the public is buying.
As for the girls in the magazine, there are other magazines that refuse to put girls in bikinis on their pages, that's what makes Hot Boat different. Not to often do I see my customers out boating in there parkas. So what is so wrong with showing them in bikinis? Does it make Hot Boat any less credible than the other magazines?

HighRoller
10-21-2002, 09:36 AM
I can understand the latest ad with the Shadow,it being your latest release.You should have some ads with a sampling of all your models because if it's one thing that Ultra has going on it's a totally diverse and stylish selection of boats.Damn,I should get a job working for Ultra as a PR Rep!!Maybe I'd get a better deal on my boat if and when I finally buy it.Or better yet maybe John is looking for a dealer for the Colorado River area......

Hermosa
10-21-2002, 09:43 AM
jordanpaulk:
Jordy :D Or possibly a 3rd party out of state payroll check....

HavasuDreamin'
10-21-2002, 09:52 AM
ULTRA28:
[QUOTE] In all fairness to Hot Boat, they only test what we bring.
What I'm getting at is that it's the manufacturer, not Hot Boat that is to blame for the content of the magazine.
So what is so wrong with showing them in bikinis? Does it make Hot Boat any less credible than the other magazines?Very good point! Manufactures are going to have the magazine test what the public is buying. Public is buying bigger boats, so manufactures send in the bigger boats to be tested. That is what we end up with in the magazine.
Bikini clad women are fine, just don't drape 6 of them over an 18' flatbottom. Like Dan66 said, if we wanted to see hot chicks, there are plenty of other magazines out there that do it much better than Hot Boat!
My $.02!
And just for the record.......I renewed my subscription for three years recently, and it might be my last renewal!
[ October 21, 2002, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

HighRoller
10-21-2002, 10:05 AM
As far as the women go,while I'm post whoring,I don't mind looking at them but I haven't really found more than one or two of them much to look at.I think it has to do with the fact that at speed the wind does funny things to their plastic boobies.My idea is that the reader bikini contest should pick a bunch of winners and let them be ***boat models for the next year.That way we get to see the women WE want to see.

roln 20s
10-21-2002, 10:08 AM
This is an interesting topic. Along with Xtrm 22, I to look forward to receiving my mag every month. Sure I breeze through it in 20 minutes, but I still love it. But I feel your complaining...you say that they test boats most people would never afford? As for the Skaters and the new 54 Hallett, you are right. But everytime I go to Havasu I am blown away by the rigs and boats I see, constantly asking myself how the hell does that young pimp afford that boat? Does he live in a trailer? You get the point, people have different priorities in life. I would love to buy a 26 cat with a 800 + hp engine, running 100 + all day. But I will probably start small and work up! I look at those issues as "goal setting" I want to be a lawyer, maybe I owe that desire to ***boat.
Roln 20s

flyinbrian
10-21-2002, 10:13 AM
I am waiting on someone to publish a boating version of Car Craft.
It would go like this~
Totally grass roots.
Mostly used boats.
Maybe one new boat article per three issues. Under $30K
Tons of tech.
Bolt-on how to's
Total restos
Tons of reader rides
Funny hillbilly stuff
Small time grass roots motorsports coverage, i.e. ODBA, APR Superleague, etc.
Project boats and motors
V-drives, jets, outboards, i/o's
Bikinis
Use Car Craft as your template and adapt it to boats. I would love to see that.

Havasu Cig
10-21-2002, 04:12 PM
roln 20s:
This is an interesting topic. Along with Xtrm 22, I to look forward to receiving my mag every month. Sure I breeze through it in 20 minutes, but I still love it. But I feel your complaining...you say that they test boats most people would never afford? As for the Skaters and the new 54 Hallett, you are right. But everytime I go to Havasu I am blown away by the rigs and boats I see, constantly asking myself how the hell does that young pimp afford that boat? Does he live in a trailer? You get the point, people have different priorities in life. I would love to buy a 26 cat with a 800 + hp engine, running 100 + all day. But I will probably start small and work up! I look at those issues as "goal setting" I want to be a lawyer, maybe I owe that desire to ***boat.
Roln 20sWell said, the small jet boat is now the minority at Havasu. People are buying bigger faster boats.
As far as Hot Boat testing several boats with the same HP...You have to realize that most of the boats tested are customers boats. Whatever the manufacturer has available at the time is what is going to be tested. When my DCB was tested in ***boat it was setup the way I ordered it.

waxer
10-21-2002, 04:34 PM
I agree with FlyinBrian, more how to's, resto's and tech articles. Yes people are buying new boats but 95% of boats on the water are older boats. This is the marketshare that is spending $ on aftermarket & performance parts. They also spend $ on R&R and Maint.
Super Chevy magazine & Popular Hot Rod once a year had a contest with each other. They would build a project vehicle with a total budjet of 10k. At the end of the project the Mag's would race at the LACR dragstrip. Great how to's and pics & both mags built their vehicle from the ground up. It made for 6 month of great articles.

Craig
10-21-2002, 04:54 PM
I'll also go with flyinbrian only I'd chose PopHot Rod over Car Craft :D Too many Pro Street cars in Car Craft. I don't care about that stuff.I want to know if you can drive it 30 miles on the street and then run it at the track.
Craig

flyinbrian
10-21-2002, 05:08 PM
Craig:
I'll also go with flyinbrian only I'd chose PopHot Rod over Car Craft :D Too many Pro Street cars in Car Craft. I don't care about that stuff.I want to know if you can drive it 30 miles on the street and then run it at the track.
CraigCraig,
When was the last time you checked out Car Craft? They have changed their format from years past. They are more geared towards the grassroots backyard guy that builds a street/strip car, exactly as you describe. No more 69 Camaros with steamroller tires and an 8-71 BDS poking through the hood that sees the inside of a trailer more than it sees daylight. Those days are gone over there. They also hate ricers!
I should work for them.
Either way, Car Craft, PHR, Hot Rod, none of them are Motor Trend. Where every issue is new boat tests and factory tours. Like I said before, four new boat tests per year max. A couple of factory tours a year. Keep it mainly reader ride articles, but more in depth with professional photography.
I would like to know what's going on with some of the smaller sanction bodies of boat racing too. The APBA gets enough attention already!

twistedpair
10-21-2002, 06:46 PM
I gotta go with flyinbrian on this one. I'm too poor to have someone else wrenchin' on my stuff. Show me some affordable DIY bolt ons.
Hey Maddago, how was Arrowhead this year? I hope you had a few at One Shot Charlies for me!! Gotta love the CD'A.

maddago
10-21-2002, 06:51 PM
LIKE I SAID, IT'S BECOMING JUST LIKE EASYRIDER.
NOTHING BUT CREDIT CARD BIKERS WHO DON'T HAVE A CLUE HOW TO WORK ON THEIR OWN RIDE.TAKE IT TO THE DEALER FOR A OIL CHANGE.
SOUND FAMILIAR?

Kilrtoy
10-21-2002, 08:24 PM
Ill agree with most of the post,who can afford boats that cost most than my house and two cars. But I disagree with Maddago. Ive spent my whole, short life working on cars and boats, 34 years of existence to be exact. Just because I now pay some to work on my boat doesnt make me or anyone else less of a hot boater than you, Sorry.

timitunnel
10-21-2002, 10:23 PM
I have to agree.I let my subscription go becouse the content was mostly ads, I feel the should pay me to get the mag! They need to get real and start doing articals on sterio's for boats,motor upgrades that don't require a payment plan. Evan an artical on wax would get my attention. The only mag I can compare it to is the realestate want ads. On a the other hand the web site is great. Tim

GBLASER
10-22-2002, 08:35 AM
Hot Boat Mag is really starting to suck!!!!
How many issues can they have with a Back Street Boy as the feature? The new name for the mag. should be "Off Shore Racing And Off Shore Family Boats That Most People Could Never Afford"
Even the bikini winners suck.
This was suppose to be a Nov. Dec. issue and it was the smallest one yet.
COME ON HOT BOAT.... YOU SUCK AS A MAGAZINE FOR BOATS AND BABES...PULL YOUR HEAD OUT AND START LISTENING TO THE PEOPLE WHO BUY YOUR PIECE OF SHIT MAGAZINE!!!! (mine was a gift that I will not renew)

waterslinger
10-22-2002, 10:11 AM
I got to say the big boat deal is getting old.
We need to let hot boat know we want more TECH
jet,clamp on, V-drive and IO. Would love to see
more readers rides not a snap shot and 40 words
but a full feature. Any boat over 100k is just
crazy. The people who buy 100K boats do not even
read Hot Boat. Who knows how to set up a poll??

disco_charger
10-22-2002, 12:48 PM
HighRoller
[QB]Yeah,that was me but I haven't had any offers for help except Disco Charger offering to write a monthly column on the virtues of DuctTape!!QB]You know, it's funny, cause me and pops were talking about this very thing the other day. We were talking about the fact that we could almost certainly refab a 19 or 20 foot jet boat, go an honest 80 mph for way less than $10,000. Yeah, we gotta do a lot of it ourselves, but a new 80mph jet boat from Carrera, Eliminator, Ultra is $40,000+. So many times my father would slap the back of my head as I was reaching for a credit card and getting ready to call Summit. There are a couple of people running around on these boards that could save us home do it yourselfers a little time and money. Some of those people are affiliated with Hot Boat and could write these articles. Hell, I could probably do it to a certain extent. A lot of us started by buying some basket case jet boat and did it ourselves. But Hot Boat is not in this biz, only cause they love boating. They are a biz and Boat manufacturers make the big money making big boats, and can advertise more with the mag. Why is Jet/V Drive/Outdrive/Outboard tech one or two pages and the 6 cats over $100k test 14 pages? MONEY! A grass roots small boat magazine that I really want to see doesn't make it financially in the real world.
A related note. It always cracks me up that a lot of the builders in the magazine talk about what a kick ass operation they have, and that the "performance package" they offer is a merc motor. There is a lot of talk in the industry, but really only a couple of "old trappers" that really have a clue. I'm lucky to have my father as one of them. I wish that when he was racing all these other guys back in the 80's he had followed them into the biz. I wish that he was around for a lot of people I know when they bought their new boats. My Dad would talk himself out of a lot of business. Most of the manufacturers will sell you a boat they know you really don't need, isn't really what you want, or isn't what you can afford. "You go to the river almost exclusively. You want to do some water skiing? Yeah, I'd get a 28' cat!" WTF? Yes, 28' cats are good for some people. Yeah, merc power is often the best choice for power. But look at what a lot of these builders are saying with their boats. A 28 foot cat for 100K is not impressive to me. You better get a shit ton of boat for 100k (and I better be able to live on the damn thing, and it better have sex with me, cause if I get one, I'm losing my wife). More impressive is a $18K boat that gets a family out on the water, in style, without hassles and bullshit.
Disco "The retro grouch" Charger

VitaminSea
10-22-2002, 12:49 PM
I'm with XTRM22 in that I look forward to the Mag each month. There are some articles I don't like but the magazine normally gets read cover to cover. As for tech articles, it seems to me that in the past year they've had articles on the IMCO Extreme Drive, articles on blower installations, various shop tours, etc. I do most of my boating on Havasu and I like the articles/tests which deal with boats in the 25 foot range which can get me back to the channel with a 3' chop. Many times on Havasu or Mead, when I'm coming back to the marina and the wind is blowing I have been the lead boat and a lot of 18 to 22 footers have thanked me for slowing down and providing a semi smooth ride for them Remember Hot Boat has to provide a magazine that the majority of boaters like the majority of the time. They can't please us all, all of the time, but I personally think they do a fairly good job. in my wake. I for one just renewed for 3 years and look forward to the next 33 issues. Cliff

XTRM22
10-22-2002, 03:29 PM
Damn it was getting kinda lonely over here, but on a good note with all those guys not renewing their subscriptions maybe I won't have to wait so long for the t-shirt when I renew my subscription. :D I think they're doing a reasonabley good job and still read the mag cover to cover. I also take alot of pride in my readers rigs appearance, and the occasional cameo at some regatta or something from Havasu.
Whatever
Chuck

MissHavasuCig
10-22-2002, 04:45 PM
waterslinger:
I got to say the big boat deal is getting old.
We need to let hot boat know we want more TECH
jet,clamp on, V-drive and IO. Would love to see
more readers rides not a snap shot and 40 words
but a full feature. Any boat over 100k is just
crazy. The people who buy 100K boats do not even
read Hot Boat. Who knows how to set up a poll??I guess I better cancel my subscription and throw away my back issues. :rolleyes:

Havasu Cig
10-22-2002, 04:47 PM
The above post should have been under my name, you can take my stars away!!

flyinbrian
10-22-2002, 05:29 PM
disco_charger:
You know, it's funny, cause me and pops were talking about this very thing the other day. We were talking about the fact that we could almost certainly refab a 19 or 20 foot jet boat, go an honest 80 mph for way less than $10,000. Yeah, we gotta do a lot of it ourselves, but a new 80mph jet boat from Carrera, Eliminator, Ultra is $40,000+.DO IT! I am in the middle of a ground up resto on an 18' Laser LTV right now. When done, it will be a fully custom boat that rivals the quality and craftsmanship of a new $40000 rig.
But Hot Boat is not in this biz, only cause they love boating. They are a biz and Boat manufacturers make the big money making big boats, and can advertise more with the mag. Why is Jet/V Drive/Outdrive/Outboard tech one or two pages and the 6 cats over $100k test 14 pages? MONEY!True, they are in this to make money. So, were they losing money ten years ago when the magazine was a good read?
A grass roots small boat magazine that I really want to see doesn't make it financially in the real world.Not true-
Go find one of the best up and coming magazines on earth- Grassroots Motorsports. More tech than I have ever seen, more articles that make you think, ads are aftermarket products and services, and an annual $2002 challenge, where you buy and build any car to compete in an autocross and a drag race event.
More impressive is a $18K boat that gets a family out on the water, in style, without hassles and bullshit.
Disco "The retro grouch" ChargerI couldn't agree more!

Charley
10-22-2002, 07:10 PM
Well I personally like ***boat... especially this months magazine wink ...but that's me....as far as the gripe about bigger overpriced boats covering the pages of ***boat magazine are concerned..... a very wise man once told me....... "when advertising, put your AD together for the business you want, not the business you are doing" ... basically that means every manufacturer that has the chance to have a boat featured, wants to have the creme of thier crop featured...the biggest , the baddest, the newest. I usually boat at Havasu,Mohave,Needles or Parker and I look at the average size of boats on my typical trip and It seems to this reader that ***boat does a good job of representing the masses...sorry guys but times are changing, boats are getting bigger.....It's also probably time for me to lose some more stars again too, but I'd rather be honest than a liar

BK
10-22-2002, 07:47 PM
I gave ya 5 because your right, but this is the reason im not interested in reading anything but my old issues. :)

dannyUALsanger
10-22-2002, 08:45 PM
It's funny how this thread came up. I've been telling my wife for over a year that Hot Boat was really sucking and I was tired of them talking about "entry level" $100,000 boats :mad: ! Like was said earlier, it should be a "boating" Car Craft! I knew Hot Boat was getting close to worthless when it would only take me one trip to the bathroom to finish reading it wink ! I was a subscriber for years but I let my subscription lapse about 4 months ago and I don't regret it. Now I hear that their bikini winners are suspect eek! ! I don't miss the magazine one bit!
[ October 22, 2002, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: dannyUALsanger ]

flyinbrian
10-23-2002, 05:08 AM
The times are changing in boating, they have been over the years. I guess you could say ***boat is changing with them, but I don't agree entirely. Powerboat has been doing tests and reviews on high dollar offshore boats for years now.
It's not like the boats are getting bigger, more manufacturers are building them. Cigarette and Apache has been building offshore powerboats over 30 feet long for 30 years now.
More people own boats than ever. What's happening to all of the under 21 footers that ***boat once cared about?
I can tell you. People like us that are bitching over ***boat going in the chitter are enjoying them. We are restoring them, racing them, and using them on smaller lakes and rivers that aren't over-ran by 38 foot Hustler's. That's why you guys with the larger, newer boats don't notice them. We are probably not on your lake or river, and if we were, you wouldn't notice us anyway. Our boats don't interest you. That's fine, different strokes for different folks.
I am lucky enough to play on both sides. I have an 18 foot tunnel with an outboard that I am restoring to drag race and run on smaller lakes, and I have a 24 Skater for the bigger water. Both boats are mid to late 80's models, both require elbow grease from me to keep running and look good enough to tie up to and later outrun a $200k boat.
Either way, I don't have $30k in both boats TOGETHER!!!
I, like many others want ***boat to go back to it's old format, which appeals to the true hotrodder, on a budget, doing it at home with borrowed tools.
We want to open up the magazine and see the feature boat is a 1970 something V-drive Sanger or something, including pictures of the boat when the guy found it in a barn and the five year resto it took to make the boat look the way it is today.
I've seen bolt-on articles here and there, but how about a feature on blue-printing the bottom of a pad-vee boat? What about how to dry stack exhaust on a 2.5 Merc?
There is no right or wrong. I just thought Powerboat had the big dollar niche covered already. :confused:
My .02

waxer
10-23-2002, 07:14 AM
Here here.. How about articles on glass work, transom R&R or a floor replacement. Beached1 completely gutted his old boat, glassed in new full stringers, new transom & floor. An article on something like this would be awesome. It's great if you know someone in the biz for reference or maybe we can borrow Chargers dad, but if you don't have anyone or thing to reference an artilce on this would be beneficial to a lot of readers

disco_charger
10-23-2002, 07:19 AM
All the things Beached 1 did to his old boat could have filled up 5 issues, and it would have been more informative than most of the stuff now. Beached 1 represents where a lot of us would like to be. He doesn't seem intimidated by the larger job. Because he's done this stuff himself, I value his judgement better than a lot of the "so called experts."
Disco

Back To Havasu
10-23-2002, 08:50 AM
Decades ago, when Nordskog bought Powerboat magazine, it went from primarily performance oriented small river and lake boats to offshore boats...surprise, he raced them, (even sponsored his own POPBRA association of racers)...then Hot Boat came along to fill the void, and began with an orientation we all wish they had stayed with...performance on a middleclass budget. Alas, they have become just like Powerboat for all the reasons everyone has listed. In short, corporate American values have replaced those of the grassroots at ***boat...

flyinbrian
10-23-2002, 08:56 AM
I'm with beached 1 then.
I bought a 1984 Laser LTV eight years ago with a rotted transom and floor. I didn't like the colors either. I put a new transom in it and glassed in huge knees tied to the stringers to support the torque and power from drag racing with an outboard hanging off the back. I also filled every hole that was ever drilled in it and started over from scratch.
Here is a pic of it upside down for bottom blueprinting prior to painting the hull- http://forums.screamandfly.com/pp311/data/500/414ltvupsidedown-med.jpg
I went with all white. I'm adding graphics when I find something I like. Probably in vinyl, so I can change them every couple of seasons. This pic is us rolling it out of the paint booth. http://forums.screamandfly.com/pp311/data/500/414coming_out_of_the_booth.jpg
I want to see other guys doing this stuff too!!!
It gives us a kick in the ass on our projects when you see someone else has done it. Kind of a support group. Obviously, there are enough of us out there doing it that you could probably sell a magazine catering to these types.
http://forums.screamandfly.com/pp311/data/500/414blindyouwhite.jpg