PDA

View Full Version : Boat show today

01RENEGADE
10-18-2003, 05:30 PM
Went to Long Beach boat show today and saw a few nice boats. Nothing like L.A. but it was ok. Being in the market for a new boat I really liked the Laser 23 apex it has the seating of a skier boat with lots of room . Does anybody have any first hand experience with this 23 footer? or general info on the company. I allready know that they are part of Essex but why so much cheaper? is it a name thing. I looked for shortcuts and really couldnt find any. Could it be in the way the boat is laid up? 23 apex 496mag 46.900.00 not to bad. Also liked the 240 Hallett but not the teak floors. Ultra is in the process of a 237 stealth im waiting to see should be done in november.

Outnumbered
10-18-2003, 06:09 PM
01RENEGADE:
Went to Long Beach boat show today and saw a few nice boats. Nothing like L.A. but it was ok. Being in the market for a new boat I really liked the Laser 23 apex it has the seating of a skier boat with lots of room . Does anybody have any first hand experience with this 23 footer? or general info on the company. I allready know that they are part of Essex but why so much cheaper? is it a name thing. I looked for shortcuts and really couldnt find any. Could it be in the way the boat is laid up? 23 apex 496mag 46.900.00 not to bad. Also liked the 240 Hallett but not the teak floors. Ultra is in the process of a 237 stealth im waiting to see should be done in november. If you're gonna spend 46,900 on a Laser 23', spend a few extra and get a Lavey 21'. Lavey is conservative on their boat size claims and the 21' is the same as many builder's 23's. Bring a tape measure and see for yourself. The difference is in the swim step. Most count it, Lavey does not. You will not be disappointed in the Lavey. And the resale will make up for the extra few grand. And Lavey customer service is awesome. Even with my old rig, they treat me like family.
Just my $0.02,
OL

01RENEGADE
10-18-2003, 06:31 PM
I have looked at the 21 xt ski several times but it is still a 21 granted it is a deep 21 and the laser is a true 23 not counting the swim step I think. I have talked to Andy several times on the Lavey and his price is 52.891.50 otd with 496 mag the 24 is 62.589.00 i just like the skier seating like the 21 and lasers 23 If you have pics of your 21 send them to me if you can. Looking at my paper work It says Lavey length 22.8 Laser says centerline length is 22.10 You have brought up a good point

phebus
10-18-2003, 08:11 PM
I loved the Hallett 240, but I am skeptical of the teak floors also. If, and when sand gets on the floor, I would think it would scratch and grind the crap out of it. The snap in carpet only covers so much. But, that is the roomiest boat of it's size I have ever seen. It has the room of a deck boat almost. My wife and I are pretty sure that it is the boat for us, and will probably order one this winter.

Outnumbered
10-18-2003, 09:35 PM
01RENEGADE:
I have looked at the 21 xt ski several times but it is still a 21 granted it is a deep 21 and the laser is a true 23 not counting the swim step I think. I have talked to Andy several times on the Lavey and his price is 52.891.50 otd with 496 mag the 24 is 62.589.00 i just like the skier seating like the 21 and lasers 23 If you have pics of your 21 send them to me if you can. Looking at my paper work It says Lavey length 22.8 Laser says centerline length is 22.10 You have brought up a good point I would bring a tape and measure both boats to be sure. It looks like the Lavey may actually be a bit bigger than the Laser. The bottom line is which one feels bigger if they are about the same size. But for the reputation alone, I would step up and buy the Lavey. Been around a lot longer than Laser or Essex. Not that Essex does not have a good rep also. BTW, are you sure Essex builds the Laser?
Regarding a picture of my boat, its old school. No comparison to the new ones, it would not be much help. But I can tell you that at near 17 years old, it's pretty solid and has the original transom, floor, bulkheads, and most rigging.
OL