PDA

View Full Version : HAVASU / Water Police Stories

carbonmarine
05-27-2003, 10:11 AM
Hey guys,
Anyone have any stoires about the police deatil out there this past weekend.... Were they out in force ?? Were they hard on folks ??
Rick32 :cool:

TrojanDan
05-27-2003, 10:32 AM
I got stopped once in Thompson Bay to see my boat registration. My boat's CG documented so there's no AZ/CF numbers. Had my paperwork already in my hand before they even got close. They were pretty cool (SB County Sherrif) and BS'd with us for a bit. Gave us some tips on boating/drinking reg's.
Had another AZ Patrol boat staring at me as I was leaving Steamboat. Again I knew what he was looking for. I flashed him my paperwork from about 30 yards away and he waived at me to go on.
I see them craking down more and more on expired registration.

Hallett19
05-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Well, lets see, when we pulled into copper canyon on sunday, two sherrifs saw my brother and friend taking cameras out of their boxes, they approached and said if they see them shooting girls with their tops off, they will take the cameras and arrest the operator and the girls !!! Can we say, NAZI !?!?! Then, as I was leaving, a cop came up to us again and saw my brother with a camera shooting our friends on the boat (fully clothed) and a cop came up and wanted to confiscate the camera, then offered me up a DUI test, which I passed. Not 30 seconds later, another cop comes up to me telling me I'm going to fast in the no wake zone, the water was SUPER choppy so how could he notice if I was making a little wake ??? So again, I got another DUI test and the cop tried to tell me I was drinking !!!!!! I told him I just passed a test 30 seconds ago from another sherrif !!! He is grilling me, asking me if I drank lastnight or if I took any drugs, I was shocked to say the least. Those cops are more like the gestapo in my opinion !!

Essex502
05-27-2003, 10:44 AM
Hallett19:
Well, lets see, when we pulled into copper canyon on sunday, two sherrifs saw my brother and friend taking cameras out of their boxes, they approached and said if they see them shooting girls with their tops off, they will take the cameras and arrest the operator and the girls !!! Can we say, NAZI !?!?! Then, as I was leaving, a cop came up to us again and saw my brother with a camera shooting our friends on the boat (fully clothed) and a cop came up and wanted to confiscate the camera, then offered me up a DUI test, which I passed. Not 30 seconds later, another cop comes up to me telling me I'm going to fast in the no wake zone, the water was SUPER choppy so how could he notice if I was making a little wake ??? So again, I got another DUI test and the cop tried to tell me I was drinking !!!!!! I told him I just passed a test 30 seconds ago from another sherrif !!! He is grilling me, asking me if I drank lastnight or if I took any drugs, I was shocked to say the least. Those cops are more like the gestapo in my opinion !! And still...3 people died and an unknown amount of injuries as well.

Blown 472
05-27-2003, 10:52 AM
Hallett19:
Well, lets see, when we pulled into copper canyon on sunday, two sherrifs saw my brother and friend taking cameras out of their boxes, they approached and said if they see them shooting girls with their tops off, they will take the cameras and arrest the operator and the girls !!! Can we say, NAZI !?!?! Then, as I was leaving, a cop came up to us again and saw my brother with a camera shooting our friends on the boat (fully clothed) and a cop came up and wanted to confiscate the camera, then offered me up a DUI test, which I passed. Not 30 seconds later, another cop comes up to me telling me I'm going to fast in the no wake zone, the water was SUPER choppy so how could he notice if I was making a little wake ??? So again, I got another DUI test and the cop tried to tell me I was drinking !!!!!! I told him I just passed a test 30 seconds ago from another sherrif !!! He is grilling me, asking me if I drank lastnight or if I took any drugs, I was shocked to say the least. Those cops are more like the gestapo in my opinion !! And this place is fun how??
I got pulled over for sitting on the back of the seat while idling in the no wake zone while a boat rated for four peeps had 7 vc in it and did not get a look. Also have to put a cover over my battery terminals cuz you never know when some wire will fall out of the sky and short across. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

UtlGoa
05-27-2003, 12:31 PM
[ May 28, 2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: UtlGoa ]

Jbb
05-27-2003, 12:35 PM
To Protect and Serve?

uvindex
05-27-2003, 12:54 PM
"...yelling at me because people were above the gunnels. I very politely explain to him that i was under the impression that it was legal at wakeless speeds."Hey RD: Sorry to hear about the unscheduled visit from Sheriff's Dept. AZ law is the one that includes the thingie about "above wakeless speeds" for bow and transom riding. Best I can tell (from http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Safety_edu.htm) CA law doesn't include that text -- bow, transom, and gunnel-riding is illegal even at wakeless speed in CA except for "crewmen in the act of anchoring, mooring or making fast to a dock or another vessel, or the necessary management of a sail."
Happy boating, :)
CS

572Daytona
05-27-2003, 01:12 PM
I didn't even bother going out for more than a few minutes this weekend. With about the only boat on the lake with OT headers my boat is a magnet for the DNR officers.
I can be by myself in the boat with a life jacket on going 30mph on a busy weekend with boats full of people partying, jetski's towing without spotters, etc and I will get stopped. And when you ask why you are being pulled over they immediately get an attitude that I have no right to ask them that. The last guy actually made some comment to the effect that my boat belonged at the races only and not on the lake and that I should consider myself fortunate that I could even afford a boat like mine (and this matters how? Oh I get it, since I'm so fortunate it shouldn't matter that you keep stopping me. Actually my boat cost about half the going price for the new Mastercraft Wakeboard boats that are all over the place, why isn't he pulling them over?)
And Utlgoa is right, if they want to be a dick about it they can be. Although I had all of the safety equipment on board, he threatened to cite me on my throwable not being easily accessible (it was under the back seat) maybe I should just have it on the seat so it can blow out of the boat, hmm?
And having to put up with stupid people is part of their job, they have no right to take their frustration out on others. Most jobs including mine involve having to deal with stupid people, if I let the influence how I deal with other customers I would be fired.

Trash
05-27-2003, 01:38 PM
UltGoa,
If you can cite people for just about anything on the water, then all water activities must be illegal.

Jrocket
05-27-2003, 01:53 PM
UtlGoa:
Riverdave
You mean San Bernardino county Sheriff's Dept. Give the guys a break, we are all human. Put yourself in the deputy's shoes having to put up with stupid people all weekend. Plus on holiday weekends most dept's have a zero tolarance for anything. Be glad you did'nt get cited, there is a very thick book(Harbour & Navigation Codes)that we can look up sections to pretty much cite people for anything on the water. What? The deputy needs to be alittle more decisive on who's being stupid or not.You cant go out and be aggressive all the time,theres not always a need to be that way.Cite people for anything on the water? Now thats going alittle over board.I've had run ins with the law and some of them did a piss poor job handling themselves but the majority did a fine job.When you break the law and get cited,you should just face it and pay,but when a deputy takes it too far with the power trip....then it makes them look bad.If your giving the cop a great attitude and doing all the stuff he ask's,theres no reason for the power trip.Too bad theres not more of the cool attitude cops around to protect and serve...

cdaspeed
05-27-2003, 02:21 PM
Cops forgot what protect and serve is.
They are now all LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS!
90% of them could give a s@#$%t about people.
How many of them do you know who have freinds that are not also cops?
There are a few good ones, BUT VERRY FEW!

ratso
05-27-2003, 02:27 PM
My feelings are the SOB's should leave you alone unless you are disobeying the law, and then inform you of it without being a prick, trouble is most of the ones I know are pricks and they despise me as much as I do them. We have had a few run-ins and as it stands now we DO NOT work on any of the different branches of the lake patrol's boats around here. ****ers smile real big when they need you for something. I deal with a few jerks at my business every once in a while and if I did my job like a few of these idiot cops, I would be out of business.

topless
05-27-2003, 02:31 PM
cdaspeed:
Cops forgot what protect and serve is.
Yea, protect my beer and go serve me another. :D :D :D

Boatcop
05-27-2003, 02:36 PM
I.E. AZ registration - AZ rules
CA registration - CA rules
Actually, this isn't true. California Officers enforce their laws, and we enforce ours. What the first 2 letters of the registration numbers are, makes no difference.
90% of them could give a s@#$%t about people.
There are a few good ones, BUT VERRY FEW!
I think it's the other way around. 10% are the overbearing type and the rest do their jobs courteously and professionally.
It may seem that the majority are dicks, because that's what sticks in your mind. You really don't remember the one who stoppd you for that broken tail light and gives you a warning, but the one that reads you the riot act, you remember forever.
When one has the attitude that all cops are pricks, they exude that attitude and bring out the worst in the Officer. Most people are treated the way people treaT them. We're no different.
When the first words out of a violator's mouth is "What the f%*& did you stop me for?" it can only go down hill from there.

Boozer
05-27-2003, 02:54 PM
I had the pleasure of getting a minor consumption ticket in Havasu a couple years back during spring break. I blew a whole whoppin .034 about the same as you'd blow if you had taken some nyquil so I am not very fond of the boat cops.
In colorado we have park rangers that cruise the lake and talk about jerks. 2nd day on the water with the new boat i had my first run in. Apparently the lake is directional which i was at the time not aware of. I had every single possible thing they could ask for as far as safety equipment went but the female officer was still not happy and wanted to tow me in to do a sobriety test. The rangers cant do them on the water so they tow you up to shore and make you wait until a cop comes to give you a sobriety test. The male officer didn't smell beer on me. Good observation based on the fact I hadn't been drinking at that point. The female officer argued with him for 10 minutes before he finally told her that I did not smell like I had been drinking and he was not going to allow her to tow us in. Pretty funny watching a nice officer argue with a bitch officer.

cdaspeed
05-27-2003, 03:08 PM
Alan,
I'm not stating my opinion on cops that have pulled me over,In fact I have never had a ticket in my life! I've never been charged with a crime or had a run in whith the law.
I am voicing my opinion on the inter- action I have had with law enforcement officers, I was a team member for Second Chance. I shot mostly against law enforcement officers for seven years.
I shot all over the country.
I also have alot of first hand experience with two county sheriffs dept and Montana and Idaho state police.I get to deal with them on a regular basis.
I am a E.M.T. and a volunteer for the fire dept in my comunity.
I am not saying all are bad Allen, You seem to be the exception to the rule.But how many do you know who have freinds outside the system?
How many do you know who don't always try and do their ENFORCEMENT job even off duty?
How many do you know who don't get a thrill out of arresting someone? Even if its for a outstanding parking ticket?
I hope you don't take my comments personal.
I sincerly hope that if I ever meet you my opinion would be better of Law Enforcement.
I hope you are the type of deputy that is a true Peace officer. The kind that would set a good example for others around him.
It sounds like you are a nice guy, I enjoy reading your posts on here. It seems as though you would rather give good advice to people so you don't have to arrest people. Anytime you prevent someone from making a bad decision you have done your job in a good way. But most cops I know don't think that way.
Anyhow, I hope I did not offend you or any of the decent peace officers that might see this post.
Keep up the good work.
Mark

Jbb
05-27-2003, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RiverDave:
[QB] [QUOTE]Originally posted by UtlGoa:
[qb] Riverdave
I hate to agree with JBB because it doesn't happen often
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
How bout some Ice Cream....Lil Mr....!

77charger
05-27-2003, 03:58 PM
I have been stopped by both san bernardino and Az cops all i can say is that the sbdo sherrifs have no respect for anyone they have always been rude(still never got a ticket either)But the AZ cops have always been respectful(and i got in more trouble with them)

NastyOne
05-27-2003, 04:06 PM
UtlGoa:
Riverdave
You mean San Bernardino county Sheriff's Dept. Give the guys a break, we are all human. Put yourself in the deputy's shoes having to put up with stupid people all weekend. Plus on holiday weekends most dept's have a zero tolarance for anything. Be glad you did'nt get cited, there is a very thick book(Harbour & Navigation Codes)that we can look up sections to pretty much cite people for anything on the water. Thats whats bullshit about the law today!
Most of these dicks will write u a ticket for even having your shoes untied and the shitty thing is they could probly find the code in the book to write the ticket!
Its my opinion that most of these cocks are on a power trip. burningm

MAXIMUS
05-27-2003, 04:17 PM
I have been very fortunate with all my encounters on the strip with law enforcement! I will say that there is nothing more frusterating then having to put up with some duche bag & badge. Especially when you are in the middle of relaxing!
Dave find out where this nazi lives & we will ralley up the board & bbq his a$$!!! :cool:

Kilrtoy
05-27-2003, 04:31 PM
I agree with all of you, cops are assholes. OOOOPPSS, just remember when you need one don't call the asshole to help you, call your buddy instead.....

bear down
05-27-2003, 04:36 PM
MAXIMUS:
I have been very fortunate with all my encounters on the strip with law enforcement! I will say that there is nothing more frusterating then having to put up with some duche bag & badge. Especially when you are in the middle of relaxing!
Dave find out where this nazi lives & we will ralley up the board & bbq his a$$!!! :cool: Does Anyone know who patrols what waters? Would be nice to know what San Berdo patrols so we all can be extra careful.

bigd1
05-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Having had my share of interactions with police (both when I was wrong and when I was not), I've always found that if you just be polite and follow directions, you can get through the situation painlessly - and get some slack cut to you on occasion. It's my experience that the cops target you because of your actions or the "vibe" that you are putting off. There was a great line in a Joseph Waumbaugh book where the cops categorized everybody into two groups: "perpetrators and borderline". I'm inclined to believe that, but hope it isn't true across the board...

Boozer
05-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Kilrtoy:
I agree with all of you, cops are assholes. OOOOPPSS, just remember when you need one don't call the asshole to help you, call your buddy instead..... If you call a cop to help he'll just figure out a way to completely avoid your initial help concern by figuring out something you have done illegally and give you a ticket or put you in jail. In the 22 years I have been on this earth I have requested the help of police maybe 4 times. Of those times only one time did a police officer help me rather then give me a ticket or take me to jail.

pleasantcat
05-27-2003, 04:51 PM
ok here we go.... i myself feel that the way our society treats cops,nurses,and teachers is bass akwards. they should be bringing down the six figure saleries and some of the guys with that income should get the whopping 35 to 50g's a year. these people go out every day and maintain our society without any respect or grattitude. if your boat got hit by a drunk the first words would be. " where the f**k are the cops!" or when someone swipes thad big ass stereo it will be, " where the hell are the cops". i have a few friends who are cops and i hear their stories about us all the time.
im no angel. i've had lots of runins with the law. but the first thing i do that makes my visit 10times more pleasant is, keep my hands in plain view and refer to them in a mam' sir' manner. i cant count how many times i've gotten a warning and sent on my way based on this "simple" thing. respect them and watch how they treat you!!!
ok, i'll get down off the box now :D
[ May 27, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: pleasantcat ]

mike37
05-27-2003, 04:59 PM
boatcop Actually, this isn't true. California Officers enforce their laws, and we enforce ours. What the first 2 letters of the registration numbers are, makes no difference.
Their cant be two sets of rules its CA or AZ not both
But IM under the impression the river goes by coast guard reg. for inland waterways??????
[ May 27, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: mike37 ]

Jrocket
05-27-2003, 05:31 PM
I have never had a problem with the boatcops at parker.My buddy got pulled over for speeding.The cop just said "120 isnt good right now,keep it down to 100".Now thats getting the point across and having a great attitude I thought..My friend new he was in the wrong at the time,thanked the cop and off he went... :D

UtlGoa
05-27-2003, 05:34 PM
Hey Rd, I replied to your PM

CA Stu
05-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Most times, you get what you give.
My .02
CA Stu

GlastronGuy
05-27-2003, 05:38 PM
Boatcop:
[QUOTE]
When the first words out of a violator's mouth is "What the f%*& did you stop me for?" it can only go down hill from there. Shouldn't that say "alleged" violator? It seems you have already convicted them. I thought that was the court's job?
wink Just messing with you Alan.
UtlGoa
As far as cops having to deal with stupid people all weekend I think you are copping out there. All police officers should treat all citizens with respect. At least for as long as the citizen is being respectful. I agree with Alan about asking "what the fvck did you stop me for?"
If you say that you just earned that ticket.

mike37
05-27-2003, 05:42 PM
RiverDave:
mike37:
Actually, this isn't true. California Officers enforce their laws, and we enforce ours. What the first 2 letters of the registration numbers are, makes no difference.
Their cant be two sets of rules its CA or AZ not both
But IM under the impression the river goes by coast guard reg. for inland waterways?????? No Mike it is in fact both. CA enforces there laws and AZ enforces there's. Coatguard is out there as well so they enforce there's as well, but i think there's is the same as AZ ???
RD So there is no jurisdiction on the river any agency can go out and enforce their rules
No way

SCLB41
05-27-2003, 05:44 PM
I read these boards on a regular basis and find most people on it to be good folks. I don't post much anymore as you can see, but did a little under another name.
I'm a cop, so according to Nastyone, kilrtoy, maximus & boozer I'm an asshole, prick, duche bag, power monger, scum of the earth jerk. I for one try to do my job with courtesy and respect for others, 99% of the guys I work with do the same. Some cops are A-holes who treat people like shit, I am not. Most guys, including myself, go to work to serve the public and would, and many have, given their lives for the public, putting people in jail who prey on others.
I treat people with respect until they don't deserve to be treated with respect. Everyone has their stories about their run ins with law, including me. I got stopped in my boat not too long ago and they guy was a jerk, even though he knew I was a cop. But to make those blanket statements you guys made is BS. I chose my profession and love it despite A-holes like you guys (nastyone, kilrtoy, maximus, boozer. I get alot of satisfaction helping people and the same from putting people away who deserve it. Alot of people hate cops until they need one.

mbrown2
05-27-2003, 05:47 PM
Got stopped by in the no wake zone by the lower Sandbar by CRIT...had somebody sitting on the front of the front sponson. They were very polite...just told us we should not be sitting up there...did not even pull us over, just told us from a short distance from each other.
[ May 27, 2003, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

Boatcop
05-27-2003, 05:47 PM
Maybe I'll give some examples that can clear things up.
As far as the Coast Guard regulations are concerned. Both state's laws are nearly identical to Federal Regulations. However the 14th ammendment of the Constitution allows individual State's to enact laws that are stricter than Federal. For example there's no federal regulation that says boats need mufflers or have to have a maximum noise level. But nearly all states have noise restrictions. The Coast Guard cannot enforce state laws, just as we cannot enforce Federal laws. But that fact doesn't void out those laws.
Seeing how the Colorado River is declared waters of both states, then the individual states enforce their own laws.
The River is governed by a Compact (Agreement) between states. The compact says that the Courts of one state have the jurisdiction to hear violations of the laws of that state up to the historical high water line of the opposite state. It also gives officers of that state peace officer powers on land in the area covering 25 air miles into the adjoining state.
This does not mean that we can enforce Arizona laws on land in California, but that we can arrest for any violations of law occuring on the waterways, when the violator flees into the other state. We then can either cite and release the violator into our courts. Detain the violator in California until a warrant can be issued, and extradition proceedings commenced, or (the preferred method) turn them over to California Officers to charge in that state on similar law violations, with us acting as witnesses on behalf of the state of California.
Here's an example of how we enforce our laws, and California enforces theirs.
Prior to the year 2001, California required children 6 and under to wear PFDs on boats. Here in Arizona it was 12. We enforced the 12 year old PFD law, regardless of where the boat was from or where on the River we stopped it.
Also prior to 2001, the BAC limit was .08% in California and .10% in Arizona. California arrested boaters at .08%-.09%, also with no regard to where they were located or where they were from.
Both examples have withstood court challenges in both states. The thinking is as follows. Two 14 year old cousins are operating their PWCs side by side. One is from Arizona and one is from California, with boats registered in their home states. They get stopped and checked out. The kid from California gets a ticket for underage operation. The kid from Arizona get's nothing.
This is unconstitutional. The Constitution calls for equal protection under the law, but It also calls for equal prosecution of the law.
HOw individual officers or Agencies choose to interpret the Colorado River Compact is up to them. However the stricter of the law is the one that should be followed, and can be enforced by an officer from the state where the law is on the books.
I may not be able to cite for that 14 year old operator, but a California cop sure can.
But the big picture isn't "what can I do to get away with something". It should be what can I do to be the safest I can out on the water.
It seems to me most people are worried about just "being legal" instead of being safe.
I always ask parents of 13 year olds on PWCs if they would let the same kid drive an 1100cc Yamaha Motorcycle down the 405 at rush hour. They always say that would be stupid. Yet, they have no problem turning them loose on an 1100 Waverunner on the Parker Strip on Memorial Day weekend.
But, whether it's fear of getting taken to Jail for drunk boating, or just people realizing it's not too awfully smart to drive hammered that made Memorial Weekend on the Strip a "Non-Event" as far as boat wrecks go, makes no difference to me.
The fact that we didn't have to make those calls to family members about their dead spouses, sons daughters, brothers, parents, etc (like we had to do 6 times by this time last year) is all I care about.
[ May 27, 2003, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Boatcop ]

vdrivenman
05-27-2003, 05:48 PM
Most cops, law enforcement, NAZI's what ever u want to call them are just like everyone else. they like to have a good time with friends and do their own thing.
The Protect and Serve bullshit went out the door years ago. It is just like any other job now , its a paycheck and makin your way to the top.
I agree there is no place for a bad attitude, but they are human too and sometimes u can't leave it all at home or at work.
the younger guys seem to be more black & white, not much gray.by the book ! Law suits, videos and tape recorders have taken away the officers use of discretion.so to avoid problems you do it by the book.the time u don't u get burned !
I got stopped this weekend by a pair of game wardens, one of whom i knew, but we went through the whole routine check.so professional courtesy is out the window, but i understand why !
I don't judge the entire public by a single contact.
I do disagree with the threats to hunt the officers down and bbq them. not smart !
there is a saying U may be the rap, but u can't beat the ride. I keep that in mind and try & have a good attiude when i get stopped.

Jrocket
05-27-2003, 05:49 PM
SCLB41:
I read these boards on a regular basis and find most people on it to be good folks. I don't post much anymore as you can see, but did a little under another name.
Why did you change your name?

mbrown2
05-27-2003, 05:52 PM
UtlGoa:
Riverdave
Be glad you did'nt get cited, there is a very thick book(Harbour & Navigation Codes)that we can look up sections to pretty much cite people for anything on the water. Citing people aimlessly...does not make sense...attitude such as this the reason cops don't get a lot of the respect you think they deserve.
[ May 27, 2003, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

mike37
05-27-2003, 06:00 PM
SCLB41:
I'm a cop, so according to Nastyone, kilrtoy, maximus & boozer I'm an asshole, prick, duche bag, power monger, scum of the earth jerk. I for one try to do my job with courtesy and respect for others, 99% of the guys I work with do the same. Some cops are A-holes who treat people like shit, I am not. Most guys, including myself, go to work to serve the public and would, and many have, given their lives for the public, putting people in jail who prey on others.
I treat people with respect until they don't deserve to be treated with respect. Everyone has their stories about their run ins with law, including me. I got stopped in my boat not too long ago and they guy was a jerk, even though he knew I was a cop. But to make those blanket statements you guys made is BS. I chose my profession and love it despite A-holes like you guys (nastyone, kilrtoy, maximus, boozer. I get alot of satisfaction helping people and the same from putting people away who deserve it. Alot of people hate cops until they need one. Don’t let the rant get to you they’re just letting off some frustration about bad experiences
Ill bet when it came right down to it you and any officer would get respect from them
Iv had bad ex whit police
And I have also testified for officers in court saved there a$$ police brutality case they were good guys drunk a$$ deserved a beating butt they staid cool

Boatcop
05-27-2003, 06:06 PM
Shouldn't that say "alleged" violator? I refer to them as "violator" since I wouldn't be stopping them if they haven't committed a violation.
The term "convictee" (or "con" for short) is left up to the judge, based, not on evidence, but on who has the better lawyer. wink
So there is no jurisdiction on the river any agency can go out and enforce their rules
No way We don't enforce our own "rules". We enforce the laws that are enacted by the State legislature.
That's the reason that there are courts. To make sure we aren't just making it up as we go. There are hundreds of laws on the books in different states that are not and cannot be enforced because of court rulings.
A few examples:
A law in Arizona (just repealed last year) made it a crime to "co-habitate" with a member of the opposite gender, absent marriage.
Not to mention the one prohibiting the same situation with a member of the SAME gender.
It's still against the law in Arizona to seek, obtain or perform an abortion. We all know the status of that law. (Roe v. Wade)
So you see, we are guided by what the Legislature and the courts say. When we step outside the parameters set by them, is when we cease to continue to employed in our chosen profession.

GlastronGuy
05-27-2003, 06:08 PM
mike37:
And I have also testified for officers in court saved there a$$ police brutality case they were good guys drunk a$$ deserved a beating butt they staid cool That's cool. Where did it happen? I'd like to read up on it.

SCLB41
05-27-2003, 06:18 PM
Jrocket:
SCLB41:
Why did you change your name? No reason really, just was w/out my computer awhile.

mike37
05-27-2003, 06:20 PM
GlastronGuy:
mike37:
And I have also testified for officers in court saved there a$$ police brutality case they were good guys drunk a$$ deserved a beating butt they staid cool That's cool. Where did it happen? I'd like to read up on it. it was years ago I was a kid
I lived in Inglewood calif corner of Kenwood and 95th
think i was 15 so 22 years ago

mike37
05-27-2003, 06:32 PM
Boatcop
Is it posted at the launch ramp that you are subject to three different jurisdictions?
How would you know that you’re subject to Calif. law if you are AZ resident?

sorry dog
05-27-2003, 06:34 PM
HOw individual officers or Agencies choose to interpret the Colorado River Compact is up to them. However the stricter of the law is the one that should be followed, and can be enforced by an officer from the state where the law is on the books.
I think RD brought up the point earlier of what is going to be the deal when CA bans older 2 strokes? This is not a question of safety but of politics and the environment. I'm sure quite a few boaters will cry foul if CA tries to enforce that one. So I see one of 3 things happening:
1: AZ boaters get ****ed by CA laws with they had no representation of
2: or an exception going to be made of to how to unevenly enforce the law
3: CA just won't enforce at all on waters ajoining other states
Number 3 seems the most libertarian of the bunch but it seems to go that way less and less these days.
This brings up a similiar issue
The thinking is as follows. Two 14 year old cousins are operating their PWCs side by side. One is from Arizona and one is from California, with boats registered in their home states. They get stopped and checked out. The kid from California gets a ticket for underage operation. The kid from Arizona get's nothing...
...I may not be able to cite for that 14 year old operator, but a California cop sure can.
I understand the line of thinking you quoted but I'm not sure I understand the location issue of it. The 14 year old kid can operate a jetski in an AZ lake. The 14 year old CA kid cannot in a CA lake. That is because the AZ voters elected representatives that decided that is safe enough for 14 year old to operate them. That's not equal, but I don't see as unconstitutional either. Stick'em in a lake claimed by both states and the rules change. I don't see consistency in enforcement in either line of thought, but I'm of the opinion that if there if the law is questionable then it should not be applied.
But the big picture isn't "what can I do to get away with something". It should be what can I do to be the safest I can out on the water. Should everything take a back seat to safety? Maybe when it involves others that are in the immediate mercy of your actions, but otherwise? The safest thing I can do one the water is either not be there or put around at 5 mph all day. Safe and Fun are often not related or even opposite of each other at a given time. You just have to use your judgement as to where to draw the line.
I realize that some people don't have very good judgement and that is why the police are there. Unfortunately I seems that the police assume everyone has bad judgement until proven otherwise and maybe not even then.
BTW Alan- I know it must get tiring to listen to all the cop bashing on the boards but I admire that you continue to post here to give us another point of view to think about.
[ May 27, 2003, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: sorry dog ]

Hotcrusader76
05-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Myself and about 10 other people helped a poor fella retreive his boat from under the ramp...
Yupp...he blew out his log exhaust and she took on water outside the harbor. Once he got to the dock the poor little jetboat decided to go tits up on itself.
Nonetheless we finaly got it on the trailer with about 10+ people and alot of 5-gallon buckets.
Apparently he had a large fire on-board and got towed in. This happened down at McIntrye Park on Saturday, south of Blythe

Boatcop
05-27-2003, 06:51 PM
I started another topic about California's Emissions regulations.
That in itself is a whole 'nother topic.
If I drive over to Big River, I'm subject to California laws. It's up to me to know the laws, so I don't get in trouble.
The same applies on the water. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
I've got pretty thick skin when it comes to cop bashing, because I know how I am, and I don't let it get to me.
At my age, I don't let a lot of things get to me.
I just got one question.
There was case against an Inglewood cop that was found NOT to be police Brutality? eek! :D
I grew up in the area, too. Lived at one time on 117th and Aviation, right around the corner from the Wild Goose. When I was real young, lived near Century and Aviation, (98th Street) right up the street from the Tropicana.
Wonder what it was that made my folks always want to live near strip joints?
(Actually the Trop was a Bowling Alley when I lived there)

Jordy
05-27-2003, 07:04 PM
RatherBeInLHC:
AZ law is the one that includes the thingie about "above wakeless speeds" for bow and transom riding. Best I can tell (from http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Safety_edu.htm) CA law doesn't include that text -- bow, transom, and gunnel-riding is illegal even at wakeless speed in CA except for "crewmen in the act of anchoring, mooring or making fast to a dock or another vessel, or the necessary management of a sail." In the whole situation, I was the DD that morning. I drank nothing but Dr. Pepper, water and Gatorade all day Saturday and Sunday knowing that the police would be out in force and it's not worth the risk in water that is populated with other people who don't feel the same way about the same situation (ie. they don't have a DD and prefer to drive hammered). These cops were total dicks when they initially stopped us, however, upon realizing that we did in fact have a DD, and I was on their boat and passed a FST, they became a little more appreciative, at least in my opinion. I understand that they are doing their job, but they don't have to do it with a giant chip upon their shoulders. I know that from the standpoint of innocent people getting hurt and killed that it is frustrating to see the same thing over and over on the big weekends.
We we were stopped, the girls were up on the gunwales, 3/4 of the way inside the boat, not hanging over with thier feet in the water and we were creeping at a slow idle. People were inside the boat on top of the back seat cushion, not sprawled on the engine hatch, but it was enough of a reason to initiate contact and I appreciate the fact that they didn't write me as it was ultimately my responsibility.
Along the same lines, we were sitting at Badenoch's on Sunday when a 30+' Fountain came railing by fully on plane with 4 girls sprawled out on the engine hatches... Which one is worse?
I'm not bashing, but I do think that it could have been handled a little differently and a little better. Just my $.02 :D

Kilrtoy
05-27-2003, 07:36 PM
despite A-holes like you guys (nastyone, kilrtoy,
SCLB41
maybe you need to read the sarcasim a little bit better.
Basically what I was saying is, if you dont like the cops, don't call them next time you need help, remember they are assholes. So basically call your fat, drunk, friend to help you with your problem instead.
As far as me being an asshole I guess its just like this story, EVERYONE HAS ONE

SCLB41
05-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Kilrtoy:
despite A-holes like you guys (nastyone, kilrtoy,
SCLB41
maybe you need to read the sarcasim a little bit better.
Basically what I was saying is, if you dont like the cops, don't call them next time you need help, remember they are assholes. So basically call your fat, drunk, friend to help you with your problem instead.
As far as me being an asshole I guess its just like this story, EVERYONE HAS ONE You are right, I misread it, I owe you an apology. Peace

ratso
05-27-2003, 07:57 PM
I don't call the cops, I call my fat drunk friend

tewfiddy1
05-27-2003, 09:13 PM
I usually just sit back and read the post on this site until I read the this one. I have been a Cop for about 12 years now. NOT one of you guys (RATSO and Cdaspeed) could do my job or want to do it. I deal with crap everyday to makes you able to go to the lake and not get your weak asses kicked. sure there is a few bad ones, but they get weeded out on there own. The majority are good family people who want to have a good time like everyone else and NO!!! we dont look for people to screw with on our days off. I just dont sit by the highway when I'm working and pick out the ones I think arent doing something wrong. I do it to let them know that they are jepordizing there lives and others who are out there. you never know when your love ones are out on the street or lake and would you want an idiot out there with them disregarding their safety and others to look good? NO and I dont either. AND I do have alot of friends that arent in Law Enforcement and they respect the job I do GOOD or BAD... I had a guy tell me that a school teacher had a harder job than mine... My answer to him was, when your wife gets raped ...CALL a TEACHER... watch who's feet ya step on they might be connnected to the ass you might have to kiss... Thanks all for letting me vent

Essex502
05-28-2003, 07:46 AM
When I was younger I did some pretty wild sh$t on the roads and was stopped many times. I found that if you're respectfull of the officers when you are stopped they tend to be respectful of you. Give them an attitude and they will happily oblige you with an attitude in return. Force meets force. That's what they are trained to do. Control the situation. If you are abusive to them then expect the same. So far I have lived by that and even when cited - usually deservedly so - (in the past that is) I can say very few were a$$holes. Of course, there was this time on Bellflower Blvd in 1975....but that is another story.

shockwavebd
05-28-2003, 07:56 AM
Kilrtoy:
I agree with all of you, cops are assholes. OOOOPPSS, just remember when you need one don't call the asshole to help you, call your buddy instead..... Lmao good one KT, In all may years of boating I have never even been stoped , must be doing something right :D

Jordy
05-28-2003, 08:01 AM
shockwavebd:
Lmao good one KT, In all may years of boating I have never even been stoped , must be doing something right :D It's your story Barry. I bet you even sold a boat to a guy named Tremor Therapy right? :D :D :D

Mr.Havasu
05-28-2003, 09:15 AM
Kilrtoy:
I agree with all of you, cops are assholes. OOOOPPSS, just remember when you need one don't call the asshole to help you, call your buddy instead..... Amen to that!
I can think of a couple of times in my life when the cops have been called for assistance and they end up harassing the victim instead of helping.
I would much rather call a friend than a cop anytime!

Boozer
05-28-2003, 09:27 AM
I am going to install a remote surveilance system in both my boat and my car. I wonder what will happen to asshole cops when they're commanding officer see's video of them swearing like a trucker and being total ass's without justification.
If any of you are interested in the same thing let me know. I can get you good deals on the equipment for it. :)
My entire life with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 times I have always addressed police as sir. Spoke to them with a very high level of respect and still have been treated like crap by them. I can't say it's because they profiled me and I fit the description because I definitely don't. So I don't know what it is.
I can say this though. If you are ever in Colorado and ever do get stopped hope it is the state patrol stopping you. They are the nicest guys in the world. I have gotten tickets from them twice for speeding and both times they acted as though they really didn't want to give me the ticket but it was their job and they were just doing it because that's what they are there to do. Both times I had 15-20 minute conversations with the officers about various subjects and even got to hear some pretty wild stories. If all police had the same demeanor as them people would have a lot more respect then they do.

Mr.Havasu
05-28-2003, 10:03 AM
tewfiddy1:
I usually just sit back and read the post on this site until I read the this one. I have been a Cop for about 12 years now. Isn't it interesting how many cops we have lurking around here!

Boozer
05-28-2003, 10:13 AM
I think the feds have this thing bugged. They are slowly building cases against all of us.
THE MAN IS WATCHING!! So watch what you say!
eek!

Keith E. Sayre
05-28-2003, 12:27 PM
As a boatsalesman, I deal with alot of police officers and I have found almost all of them to be
great people. Now, I am not condoning the abusive
language and treatment that I have read about here, but I learned something from one of them about 3 years ago when I sold him a new 25' Rage.
He is a lieutenant in the LAPD and we were discussing this very topic. He mentioned as a
possibility that the "attitude" that we get when
pulled over in the channel is often an extension
of the discussion that he (policeman) just had
5 minutes earlier with a dirtbag with a bad attitude. I can see that.
Sure it would be nice if they could put on a
"fresh face" in between stops but even in my job,
it's easy to get the bad attitude when I'm hot,
tired and worn out. So when I get stopped, I try
to show a bit of compassion. After all, they are
not perfect either. They would rather be drinking beer and partying also.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400

ratso
05-28-2003, 02:28 PM
tewfiddy1, I prefer to handle my own issues my own way. No, I don't call the cops and I have dealt with PLENTY of crap over the course of my life and have the scars to prove it (and left a few on some other people). Trust me, I don't need you to protect my ass. I can give one and I can take one if it comes down to it. I'm not an asshole and I didn't say all cops are assholes either, just the majority of the ones that I personally know, and some happen to be friends or relatives of mine. BoatCop...no prob. A couple of you others though...big prob.

Boozer
05-28-2003, 02:55 PM
Keith E. Sayre:
As a boatsalesman, I deal with alot of police officers and I have found almost all of them to be
great people. Now, I am not condoning the abusive
language and treatment that I have read about here, but I learned something from one of them about 3 years ago when I sold him a new 25' Rage.
He is a lieutenant in the LAPD and we were discussing this very topic. He mentioned as a
possibility that the "attitude" that we get when
pulled over in the channel is often an extension
of the discussion that he (policeman) just had
5 minutes earlier with a dirtbag with a bad attitude. I can see that.
Sure it would be nice if they could put on a
"fresh face" in between stops but even in my job,
it's easy to get the bad attitude when I'm hot,
tired and worn out. So when I get stopped, I try
to show a bit of compassion. After all, they are
not perfect either. They would rather be drinking beer and partying also.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400 Keith, you as well as most of us on this board deal with clients on a daily basis. Based on this I know that you know just as well as the rest of us that you have to deal with some major assholes who are totally unreasonable and have nothing better to do then make your day a shitty one. I'm sure you have had customers that have pissed you off so bad you would have beat their ass if you knew you could have gotten away with it.
However, you unlike police can't beat people up or tell them to **** off no matter how bad you want to. You get stuck treating them respectfully regardless of how they are treating you. If you didn't you would not have a successful business. We are in essence customers of the police we pay them a salary to provide us with a service. In return we are treated like shit by them. Since when are you allowed to treat your employer like shit and keep your job? I get hot under the collar every single day because of all the assholes I deal with. Sadly those assholes are the reason i get paid and if I treat them like shit they stop buying my services and I am out of a job.
Do you think cops would treat people like shit if they faced the same consequences as others when it comes to providing customer service? After all we are their customers. At this point if I had a choice I'd stop buying their services and have my tax dollars used for police diverted to a private security company that appreciated the money we give them and treat us with respect because if they don't they wont have a job. Unfortunately the government has created a monopoly on the industry and we don't have that choice.
I'd like to know a job that I can get that will pay me enough money to make a good living and NOT have to deal with dirt bags everyday. If there is one please let me know and I'll be more then happy to turn in my resume.

CA Stu
05-28-2003, 03:01 PM
tewfiddy1:
I usually just sit back and read the post on this site until I read the this one. I have been a Cop for about 12 years now. NOT one of you guys (RATSO and Cdaspeed) could do my job or want to do it. I deal with crap everyday to makes you able to go to the lake and not get your weak asses kicked. sure there is a few bad ones, but they get weeded out on there own. The majority are good family people who want to have a good time like everyone else and NO!!! we dont look for people to screw with on our days off. I just dont sit by the highway when I'm working and pick out the ones I think arent doing something wrong. I do it to let them know that they are jepordizing there lives and others who are out there. you never know when your love ones are out on the street or lake and would you want an idiot out there with them disregarding their safety and others to look good? NO and I dont either. AND I do have alot of friends that arent in Law Enforcement and they respect the job I do GOOD or BAD... I had a guy tell me that a school teacher had a harder job than mine... My answer to him was, when your wife gets raped ...CALL a TEACHER... watch who's feet ya step on they might be connnected to the ass you might have to kiss... Thanks all for letting me vent Get a grip, man.
I don't think I need your kind to "make me able to go to the lake and not get my weak ass kicked". You don't know the first thing about me, what a ridiculous statement.
I hope you re read your post and realize you may have hit "Add reply" a bit hastily.
I would think an enlightened gentleman would have responded to the "teacher" crack in a little more professional manner. You come across from the above post as viewing yourself as some kind of "Avenging Angel", and frankly theat's pretty scary.
I know cops (I can think of 5 I know fairly well) , and the ones I know are good people, even exceptional, and I don't think any of them would have responded to the "teacher" crack in anything akin to your bullying, juvenile, threatening tone. I think "Says you" would have been their average reply.
That whole post has a chip on it's shoulder, buddy.
CA Stu <-- I'm here for you Ratso, bro. :D

SCLB41
05-28-2003, 04:11 PM
Boozer:
I am going to install a remote surveilance system in both my boat and my car. I wonder what will happen to asshole cops when they're commanding officer see's video of them swearing like a trucker and being total ass's without justification.
If any of you are interested in the same thing let me know. I can get you good deals on the equipment for it. :)
My entire life with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 times I have always addressed police as sir. Spoke to them with a very high level of respect and still have been treated like crap by them. I can't say it's because they profiled me and I fit the description because I definitely don't. So I don't know what it is.
I can say this though. If you are ever in Colorado and ever do get stopped hope it is the state patrol stopping you. They are the nicest guys in the world. I have gotten tickets from them twice for speeding and both times they acted as though they really didn't want to give me the ticket but it was their job and they were just doing it because that's what they are there to do. Both times I had 15-20 minute conversations with the officers about various subjects and even got to hear some pretty wild stories. If all police had the same demeanor as them people would have a lot more respect then they do. [/b]
Most agencies have cameras and videoa already in the cars so morons like you can't lodge false complaints against them. Many, many times "honest" citizens, who did't realize their contact with a cop was recorded, has come to the PD with some story of mistreatment, only to have the tape shown to them as evidence that the citizens were in factthe one who behaved like A-holes.

Boozer
05-28-2003, 04:22 PM
SCLB41:
Boozer:
I can say this though. If you are ever in Colorado and ever do get stopped hope it is the state patrol stopping you. They are the nicest guys in the world. I have gotten tickets from them twice for speeding and both times they acted as though they really didn't want to give me the ticket but it was their job and they were just doing it because that's what they are there to do. Both times I had 15-20 minute conversations with the officers about various subjects and even got to hear some pretty wild stories. If all police had the same demeanor as them people would have a lot more respect then they do. [/b]
Most agencies have cameras and videoa already in the cars so morons like you can't lodge false complaints against them. Many, many times "honest" citizens, who did't realize their contact with a cop was recorded, has come to the PD with some story of mistreatment, only to have the tape shown to them as evidence that the citizens were in factthe one who behaved like A-holes. You mean most agencies have cameras so morons like you can't beat up innocent citizens with your night sticks and get away with it.
Regardless, I have yet to see a camera equipped Water cop. Not to mention the fact that I would be submiting only tape that my camera recorded so it would be pretty tough to lodge a "false" video complaint.
Pull the night stick out of your ass and go choke on a donut dude.
[ May 28, 2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Boozer ]

SCLB41
05-28-2003, 04:25 PM
Boozer:
SCLB41:
Boozer:
Most agencies have cameras and videoa already in the cars so morons like you can't lodge false complaints against them. Many, many times "honest" citizens, who did't realize their contact with a cop was recorded, has come to the PD with some story of mistreatment, only to have the tape shown to them as evidence that the citizens were in factthe one who behaved like A-holes. You mean most agencies have cameras so morons like you can't beat up innocent citizens with your night sticks and get away with it.
Regardless, I have yet to see a camera equipped Water cop. Not to mention the fact that I would be submiting only tape that my camera recorded so it would be pretty tough to lodge a "false" video complaint.
Pull the night stick out of your ass and go choke on a donut dude. That too A-hole, nice reply aboutthe donut, very original.

Danhercules
05-28-2003, 04:48 PM
someone said that the cops at the river have the best job. ( I dont want to go back and look). I think thats wrong. How would you like to go the river, be on a boat for 8 or 10 hrs, in uniform, 110*, looking at everyone drinking beer, jumpin in the water, and havin fun. Yea they do get to look at the girls, but cant to talk to them, cant jump in the water. It must be soooooo f-in hot!! Dose that sound like fun??? Yea I think I would rather be in a patrol car with the A/C on. Think about how much of a grouch you would be. I thank all the Cops out there. Can you even amagin how bad it would be to have no cops there at all?? Grow up. Obay the law. And give the Men a raise.

SCLB41
05-28-2003, 05:10 PM
RiverDave:
Danhercules:
someone said that the cops at the river have the best job. ( I dont want to go back and look). I think thats wrong. How would you like to go the river, be on a boat for 8 or 10 hrs, in uniform, 110*, looking at everyone drinking beer, jumpin in the water, and havin fun. Yea they do get to look at the girls, but cant to talk to them, cant jump in the water. It must be soooooo f-in hot!! Dose that sound like fun??? Yea I think I would rather be in a patrol car with the A/C on. Think about how much of a grouch you would be. I thank all the Cops out there. Can you even amagin how bad it would be to have no cops there at all?? Grow up. Obay the law. And give the Men a raise. I said that Dan. I still Stand by it as well. I think it's one of the best jobs there is. The only thing that i can see that would suck about it is occassionally ruining someones goodtime. But hey if there idea of having a goodtime Is going up the wrong side of the river etc.. then i think i'd be ok with it. I think uining someones goodtime for anything under a .10 is bullshit though. just my .02
RD Thanks Dan, its people like like you who make the job worth it. RD, I agree with you too, if you read my first post, you'll see, I try to be one of the reasonable ones and treat people with respect until they give me a reason not to. People should be left alone to have a good time, but there are also people out there that have to be dealt with or they will hurt themselves or someone else and ruin it for everyone, I agree, there are some cops out there that don't deserve to wear a badge and they make us all look bad. I just don't like the blanket statements made by a few here that we are all a-holes. MOST are not, they just want to do their jobs and go home to their families. L8R

Danhercules
05-28-2003, 05:25 PM
RiverDave:
]I said that Dan. I still Stand by it as well. I think it's one of the best jobs there is. The only thing that i can see that would suck about it is occassionally ruining someones goodtime. But hey if there idea of having a goodtime Is going up the wrong side of the river etc.. then i think i'd be ok with it. I think uining someones goodtime for anything under a .10 is bullshit though. just my .02
RD I think I got the quote right.
My buddy (a dumbass) was drunk and was pulled over by a cop. The cop asked if he had beed drinkin. He did not lie and told him yea.
Cop-How many??
buddy-Enough to get a DUI..
-cop, thanks for being honest, You blow under a .15, I will let you go.
He blew almost a .2, he got nailed. Getting pulled over for somthin stupid sucks, i agree, but MOST of the time, I bet there is a good reason or he ( the cop) is right.
just food for the brain.

Boatcop
05-28-2003, 05:29 PM
It seems there's two schools of thought, regarding POlice Officers. Some think we the scourge of the earth, and others routinely thank us for doing what is often a thankless job.
To those who think we're only out there to harass people and screw up their fun, let me show you another side.
At my feet right now is an 90 lb. red dog. Each year I spend about $3,000 of my own money on her for upkeep, training, vet bills, etc. She get's the best of everything.
I have her for one purpose and one purpose only. To find lost kids, alzhiemers patients, and anyone else who get's lost in the desert. We spend about 200 hours a year in training, and she's already got one successful find. Was I assigned this duty? Was I ordered to be a search dog handler? Nope.
A few weeks ago she whelped 4 puppies. 3 of those lived, but another was still inside her, and required emergency surgery in the middle of the night to save her life. At a cost of over a grand.
Now I could sell those pups for $2,000 bucks each, and recoup some of money. But am I going to? Nope.
Two are being given to other Law Enforcement Agencies for use in Search and Rescue. The third I will keep and train specially for cadaver and marine search work.
They don't sniff for drugs. They don't attack. All they do is follow a trail or a scent and hopefully smother a grateful lost child with wet slobbery kisses.
Or they may find that body to give some closure to a worried and confused family who have no idea where their loved one is.
Do I do all this because I want to ruin someone's day? No. Do I get paid extra for it? No. (just the opposite). Do I do it because I want to help people in any way I can, and because I genuinely care about other's welfare. YOU BET!
So the next time your child or aged parent has taken the wrong turn or wandered away from the camp. Or your best friend has fallen overboard and is missing, are you going to call your fat drunk friend to help? Or are you going to call someone like me?
I bet I already know the answer to that question.
http://www.boatcop.com/05_25a.jpg http://www.boatcop.com/pep_1.jpg

tewfiddy1
05-28-2003, 07:55 PM
well, The whole post wasnt to enlighten your way to loving the MAN. It was my way of letting you know how stupid you sound by bashing us donut eating cops. I have no big chip on my shoulder I get a small one from time to time. Im comfortable with the service I give to the community. As far as never calling the cops and handling it yourself.....WHATEVER. If someone five-fingers your new boat, I guess you dont call the cops. WOW. And RIVERDAVE, look at the FBI's top 100 most violent cities, Dayton made 15 last year, up from 19 the year before. So podunk we are not. I deal with many nice people and many assholes everyday, and yes sometimes I get irritated but, I have never been in any trouble from my contacts with the public.
NOW THAT EVERYONE HAS HAD THEIR 2 CENTS WORTH , CAN WE GET THE BOAT TALK ON AGAIN?

ratso
05-28-2003, 08:00 PM
No, I don't call the cops. Had my entire stereo system ripped off about 3 months ago. Around here at least, all they do is humor you by dusting for a few prints and you never hear from them again. Any other questions or scenarios you would like to discuss?

UtlGoa
05-28-2003, 08:14 PM
Boozer,
"I'd like to know a job that I can get that will pay me enough money to make a good living and NOT have to deal with dirt bags everyday. If there is one please let me know and I'll be more then happy to turn in my resume."
Fire fighter comes to mind!
[ May 28, 2003, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: UtlGoa ]

tewfiddy1
05-28-2003, 08:20 PM
No Ratso your too much man for me. I wouldnt call and report an AUDIOVOX stolen either

tewfiddy1
05-28-2003, 08:29 PM
Hey River Thats OK, Its all about the venting, just trying to enlighten some of the misguided to the wonderful world of LAW Enforcement. Damn I feel good now, maybe an inocent driver wont be pulled out his window and beaten today.....
JUST KIDDEN BEFORE I GET MORE REPLYS

ratso
05-28-2003, 08:31 PM
tewfuddy, you crack me up...audiovox, sounds like you're a real expert on stereo systems too. Sorry for stating the facts on how I feel about certain things, but you don't know my history and you apparently think of yourself as some kind of god or something. I just stated that I handle my own affairs and don't go whining to the cops, especially some frigging clown like you. I work out with a couple of Waco PD and sheriff department people, they understand how I am and have no problem with it. FYI, it was a KRACO :D

Wicky
05-28-2003, 08:42 PM
It's all about JOB SECURITY!!!! And the money of course!!

tewfiddy1
05-28-2003, 08:43 PM
DUDE Chill, cry just having a good time, noone said you were a bad person or went whining to the cops all the time. I work out with alot of civilians and they understand me as well....That Im just a regular guy like everyone else. The only difference is that I dont work 9-5 and dont have every weekend off. Dont know much about stereo's but I have a Alpine 800cla its not a Kraco but I like it just the same and the cd quit working.
Anyone here know anything about stereo's

ratso
05-28-2003, 08:55 PM
Used to always buy Alpine, last one my CD player started dragging, went to Clarion after that, which was the last system stolen, and now I use Pioneer. Sounds like you probably need to just get a new unit. I have a pretty kick-ass system (by waco standards) but not like a bunch of those west coasters. Now there is a good topic to start. How much do people have in their stereo systems. I'm at about 5K in my truck, a lot less in my boats. and I'm sure that's pocketchange to the likes of RiverDave and a few others.

tewfiddy1
05-28-2003, 09:02 PM
I hate to get another one since this is only about 2 years old, It has the 7 1/2 inch pop out screen, Im hoping that the eye has just came loose , but thats not the kind of luck I have

ratso
05-28-2003, 09:12 PM
You could have it repaired, but how long does that leave you without a system? My units never last that long in my boats with all the beating around, so I try to keep a couple of spares on hand.

tewfiddy1
05-28-2003, 09:27 PM
I think all the beating around on the old boat did it, When I tried it on the new one everything worked except the cd, I think Im going to try to have it fixed, as long as it doesnt cost too much

Jordy
05-28-2003, 10:03 PM
To quote myself:
jordanpaulk:
We we were stopped, the girls were up on the gunwales, 3/4 of the way inside the boat, not hanging over with thier feet in the water and we were creeping at a slow idle.
Along the same lines, we were sitting at Badenoch's on Sunday when a 30+' Fountain came railing by fully on plane with 4 girls sprawled out on the engine hatches... Which one is worse?
This may or may not be the same boat, but it just seems like a hell of a lot more severe problem to initiate a stop over... is it just me? :confused:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/25P1010025-med.JPG

Boatcop
05-29-2003, 10:31 AM
We can't take any action over people laying on the sun deck like that, thanks to Honcho.
We stopped and cited Doug for the same offense several years ago. He brought in photos from magazine ads and literature about the boat that showed those pads were "designed for passengers at any speed".
We argued the point, and brought in photos and about 5 reports we'd taken about people who've slid off the pads and into the prop. One fatally.
The judge didn't buy it and threw out the case.
We would, however have a talk with the guy about direction of travel and being on the proper side of the river.

Ian
05-29-2003, 12:03 PM
I want to let all the cops reading this post know that I appreciate what they do! Sure their are a-hole cops, but I've also met a-hole firefighters (very few) and a-hole buisness men. You guys (and gals) do a thankless job for peanuts. Infact I was going through the hiring process with LAcoSD and withdrew after a ride along. We responded to a domestic disturbance and before back-up showed up the officer was rolling around on the ground with three gang-bangers. Think what would have happened if one of them had gotten his gun or had AIDS. Now I'm no wimp and can handle my own, but why subject yourself to that day in and day out. No thanks, I'll finish school and continue applying with the fire dpartment.

mickeyfinn
05-29-2003, 12:35 PM
Boy,
Glad I do my boating in the southeast. It has been a few years since the Hondo was running, and when I first took it to the lake I got pulled over for the first couple of months. No attitudes, just safety checks. When I did ask why they pulled me over he laughed and told me I looked like I was faster than him and if I needed a ticket he would just mail it. After a few trips to the water and got to know all of them it was not uncommon if they heard my boat to travel a couple of coves over to let me know that someone else with a speedboat was over at so and so place and I should go run them. I also have a family bowrider that gets a LOT of use and have been pulled over a few times. Never a problem. I guess maybe the cops here in the southeast:
1. realize why they are here. To try to make things safer for everyone
2. realize what a great job they have and truly enjoy just being on the water and being around others who enjoy the same things.
So don't judge all of the cops out there by a few experiences. I'm sure law enforcement has their fair share of assholes just like every other profession does. The only difference is that if you run a cross an asshole in almost any other profession you can just show him your favorite finger and take your bisiness elsewhere, but if that asshole is in law enforcement as long as he doesn't cross the line you take what you get.

Mrs.909er
05-29-2003, 05:24 PM
[ May 29, 2003, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Mrs.909er ]

=PAYED CA$H=
05-30-2003, 03:36 PM
SCLB41,
LOOKS TO ME LIKE YOU WOULD GET YOUR ASS WHOOPED IF YOU RAN INTO NASTY, KILLER TOY, MAXIMUS AND BOOZER AT THE SAND BAR..........OH BOY YOU BETTER HOPE YOU GOT YOUR PISTOL AND BADGE AT ALL TIMES.......... cry :D cry

SCLB41
05-30-2003, 08:34 PM
=PAYED CA$H=:
SCLB41,
LOOKS TO ME LIKE YOU WOULD GET YOUR ASS WHOOPED IF YOU RAN INTO NASTY, KILLER TOY, MAXIMUS AND BOOZER AT THE SAND BAR..........OH BOY YOU BETTER HOPE YOU GOT YOUR PISTOL AND BADGE AT ALL TIMES.......... cry :D cry Wow, that hurt.

wntitall
05-30-2003, 09:13 PM
Wow..... although I am new to the boards, I felt compelled to respond to this thread... The following is my 2 cents..so please keep that in mind.
The truth is...within the profession there is some who don't belong... some who slipped thru the cracks, some who are burned out, and some who have become jaded. Yes I know,..... some will say,"Well so what, they chose that profession!!!!!, that doesn't give them the right to be assholes!!!!... You know what, I agree!. But can anyone honestly tell me in there professional life, that they see the absolute worst of human behavior on a daily basis.... Murder, rape, child molestation, domestic abuse, and the carnage associated with it? Oh I know, Here it comes, " yeah, but they chose that career!!!!!" yes, that is true, and I say thank GOD!!!, for the men and woman who did!! Whether you agree or not, the truth is they save us from ourselves. Think about that for a moment. :cool:

SCLB41
05-30-2003, 09:32 PM
Thank you very much, I know most ofcr's appreciate this kind of support, including me. I kknow the other ofcr's on this board, UtlGoa, Boatcop etc, do also. I've said my piece on this subject, I got a little upset at first because I felt unjustifiably lumped in with a few peoples view and I didn't agree, and felt I had to speak up, as anyone would. but if anyone reads all my posts on the subject, maybethey'll realize I am one who has the true safety of the public at heart, if not, oh well. See ya on te water. BH

tewfiddy1
05-30-2003, 09:45 PM
eek! What alot of people dont realize is, that we fight people everyday, and we dont need no stinking badges...or guns to protect ourselves or others. Its the coward/pussy that has to pull his gun to win the fight.

Keith E. Sayre
05-31-2003, 08:07 AM
Riverdave and Boozer: Very good points that both
of you made a few days ago in response to my post.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400

BP1330
05-31-2003, 09:21 AM
Wntitall, BoatCop and SCLB41 make good points. But wht we have to remember is that not every one likes us. No matter what we do! Nothing we can do about it. And maybe we should just let them ramble, vent and dig their own holes instead of arguing with them. We wouldn't argue with them in the streets or for Alan on the water. I love my job. Some people hate me for it. I get over it. I think its time for this thread to close.

boatnam2
05-31-2003, 09:41 AM
keith, man i was right across the street from you on thursday at ashley furniture and wanted to come say hi and look at some boats but after shopping for 2 hours i was ready to head back to parker.

Keith E. Sayre
06-04-2003, 01:09 PM
Boatnam: We'll catch you next trip!
Maybe this thread is about over? I'm personally
glad that they're out there. Maybe forums like
this can help to improve those that are lacking.
That's a positive thought.
Keith Sayre