PDA

View Full Version : World Rally on Speedvision

Havasu Hangin'
08-23-2002, 07:55 PM
8-9PM...man, I'm addicted to those in-car shots...those guys are as crazy as the Aussies in those jet sprints...

MikeF
08-23-2002, 08:20 PM
In the late 80's those cars had 600+Hp. As fast as they are now......they were triple that back then. Too many top drivers were getting hurt (or worse) and spectators were getting plowed into too often. They scaled back on the power quite a bit.
You might be able to find an old video somewhere (maybe ebay). It was called Gruppe B.
Enjoy!, Mike

Havasu Hangin'
08-23-2002, 08:41 PM
I hear ya Mike. The crowds are so close to the racing- no real protection. Tonight, I think it was Italy- concrete walls on one side, and sheer cliffs on the other...triple digit speeds...unreal.
It's great to hear the navigator laying out the course...also, it's amazing what those drivers can do with those cars...

Jungle Boy
08-24-2002, 09:18 AM
Havasu Hangin':
8-9PM...man, I'm addicted to those in-car shots...those guys are as crazy as the Aussies in those jet sprints...My Dad used to rally race in Scotland in the 50's and then in Canada in the 60's. He was a Ford sponsored driver in the Shell 4000 rallies from 1963-1969. The Shell 4000 rallys were from Vancover to Halifax (4000 miles). He used to strap me in the back of the car for small local rallys in Alberta. I remember some very nasty burnouts in the 67,68,69 mustangs that they provided him to drive the hell out of. Now he won't even get in a boat with me and wonders why I would spend all the money that I do to go fast. Go figure. :p

22TWIN
08-24-2002, 11:26 AM
That Finland rally that was on a week or so ago was the most fun I"ve had watching tv in a while. Of all the races I've watched it had by far the most jumps. That looks like a total blast.