PDA

View Full Version : What happened

***boat
01-10-2003, 07:20 AM
Before the rumor that I joined forces with the "Friends of Lake Powel" association gets too far, here is what happened.
Over at LFP a bunch of domains were moved from one server to another (DNS was modified). ***boat.net's DNS was changed along with all the others. The really bad thing about a DNS change like that is that from the first sign of trouble to fixing the problem is about 48hours. There is no way to speed this up, because the main DNS servers throughout the world update about once a day and do not have any real schedule for updating.

Blown 472
01-10-2003, 07:22 AM
Who are the friends of lake powell?

twistedpair
01-10-2003, 07:26 AM
Just curious, but how could some people get in and others not? If it will take 10 pages to explain, don't worry about it, it's not 'mission critical' to my surfing pleasure. :D

HCS
01-10-2003, 07:31 AM
twistedpair:
Just curious, but how could some people get in and others not? If it will take 10 pages to explain, don't worry about it, it's not 'mission critical' to my surfing pleasure. :D Between you and me and a few others we could have had a hey day. wink

JetBoatRich
01-10-2003, 08:44 AM
gremlins devil

Windy
01-10-2003, 08:47 AM
Ok...but dont let this happen again wink

Laveyman
01-10-2003, 11:40 AM
MissHBjet:
Ok...but dont let this happen again wink That's for damn sure! I even had to cross over to the dark side (OSO) to satisfy my addiction to this board. Ya gotta give us junkies some notice on this stuff so we can get our proper fixes in advance! :D

Blown 472
01-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Laveyman:
MissHBjet:
Ok...but dont let this happen again wink That's for damn sure! I even had to cross over to the dark side (OSO) to satisfy my addiction to this board. Ya gotta give us junkies some notice on this stuff so we can get our proper fixes in advance! :D Sounds like you brought some back wif ya.

azsyndicate
01-10-2003, 02:02 PM
One reason why it worked for some but not for others..
Internet Domain Name Server (DNS) are not all controlled by a single person or group. Each ISP normally has their own servers for their customers.
Now DNS servers have to all match so that when we type in a name in our web browser (www.yahoo.com, free.***boat.net) it gets translated to an IP address of the server with the web page on it. So there are Master DNS servers that everybody registers to help people not have to remember an numerical IP address.
Here lies the problem... Even though the master servers are updated, your personal DNS server might not have synched with it yet. So your DNS server is pointing to an incorrect IP for the web page.
Basically it just takes time to have changes propagated across the big ol internet.
This is a simplified version of what I understand the issue to be. Hope it helps more than it confuses.

gigamurph
01-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Uh, OK. Glad to be back but all this mumbo-jumbo, technical crap is givin' me and my mouse a headache! :D

JetBoatRich
01-10-2003, 03:09 PM
Its all cleared up now I understand wink

XClutchboy725
01-10-2003, 08:36 PM
azsyndicate:
One reason why it worked for some but not for others..
Internet Domain Name Server (DNS) are not all controlled by a single person or group. Each ISP normally has their own servers for their customers.
Now DNS servers have to all match so that when we type in a name in our web browser (www.yahoo.com, free.***boat.net) it gets translated to an IP address of the server with the web page on it. So there are Master DNS servers that everybody registers to help people not have to remember an numerical IP address.
Here lies the problem... Even though the master servers are updated, your personal DNS server might not have synched with it yet. So your DNS server is pointing to an incorrect IP for the web page.
Basically it just takes time to have changes propagated across the big ol internet.
This is a simplified version of what I understand the issue to be. Hope it helps more than it confuses. .............couldn't have said it better myself!

lakesmodified
01-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Blown 472:
Who are the friends of lake powell? Damn blown, your avatar is making me want to go to the bathroom jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop

PowellScooter
01-11-2003, 05:31 AM
I just figured Nashvillebound did it because he was pissed over the "incident" .

JetBoatRich
01-11-2003, 08:21 AM
PowellScooter:
I just figured Nashvillebound did it because he was pissed over the "incident" . LMAO :D

RiverGirl
01-11-2003, 08:59 AM
Blown 472:
Laveyman:
MissHBjet:
Ok...but dont let this happen again wink That's for damn sure! I even had to cross over to the dark side (OSO) to satisfy my addiction to this board. Ya gotta give us junkies some notice on this stuff so we can get our proper fixes in advance! :D Sounds like you brought some back wif ya. :confused: